Nurse Anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
American Association of Nurse Anesthesiologists

Go fund me page to raise money to change the name to Nurse Anesthesiologist.

Almost 16,000 raised so far

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pathetic. But of course there is NO attempt to mislead anyone with this change of title.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
a group of people so proud of their training that they want to change the name to something else to confuse people so they won't really know who they are

Reactions: 17 users
It will happen. The politicians are "FULLY" behind this nonsense. And of course, "Radio Silence" from the American Society of Anesthesiologists. I wonder where the future is. When they are successful in changing the name to "Nurse Anesthesiologist" they will petition to drop nurse and leave anesthesiologist. LOL..

STOP GIVING MONEY TO THE ASA until they start addressing your concerns.

Reactions: 4 users
It will happen. The politicians are "FULLY" behind this nonsense. And of course, "Radio Silence" from the American Society of Anesthesiologists. I wonder where the future is. When they are successful in changing the name to "Nurse Anesthesiologist" they will petition to drop nurse and leave anesthesiologist. LOL..

STOP GIVING MONEY TO THE ASA until they start addressing your concerns.

did you suggest there was "radio silence" about something that is less than 24 hours old?

If someone would post this on their ASA twitter page. @ASALifleline

My twitter is Jacked, Meanwhile Ill work the reddit angle to raise awareness.

These people are such a joke.
They can name themselves whatever they want, the proof is in the pudding. And the pudding ain’t that good.

did you suggest there was "radio silence" about something that is less than 24 hours old?
Yes. They should be aware and have a response the next day at the latest. That is why they are collecting dues. Not to build pretty offices and fatten themselves up

Reactions: 3 users
One of those “Monday morning outreach” from the ASA a few weeks ago mentioned this, and denounced it. Doesn’t go far enough, IMO, but it’s a start.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say we follow the Brits and call ourselves anaesthetists. Even better we should call ourselves Mister like the British surgeons.

Reactions: 1 users
glad you think this is a laughing matter.. your apathy will sell the next generation as the prev generation sold us.

I'm laughing at you, not the issue. You act like the ASA should have a facility in Cheyenne Mountain monitoring every byte of data on the internet and immediately shoot down any incoming threats.

You like to come strong with your takes, especially for such a new member here.

FFS why can’t nurse anesthetists just be proud of who they are and stop trying to deceive/confuse the public?
becasue they want your job. THey want to eliminate you. And the current 'play nice attitude' of the ASA is making it harder and harder for us to supervise them. (not that i want to). Even the RNs roll their eyes if you want zofran instead of compazine for nausea. It has to stop, there needs to be consequences for insubordination.

The logo looks a little like a swastika...

Reactions: 2 users
These guy nurses in Arizona have really jumped the shark with this one.

"Hi Im Dr Mike I will be your Nurse Anesthesiologist."
Mmac

"Wait are you a Dr or a Nurse?"
Patient

"Even better...Im both."
Mmac

"Thats odd...Ill pass."
Patient

#HireAAs
Get AA legislation passed in all states and quit being scared of the nurses which are usually made up of male srnas who decided they would be something they arent by the end of their first week in the ICU taking orders from that mean doctor. Wake up.

Reactions: 9 users
These guy nurses in Arizona have really jumped the shark with this one.

"Hi Im Dr Mike I will be your Nurse Anesthesiologist."
Mmac

"Wait are you a Dr or a Nurse?"
Patient

"Even better...Im both."
Mmac

"Thats odd...Ill pass."
Patient

#HireAAs
Get AA legislation passed in all states and quit being scared of the nurses which are usually made up of male srnas who decided they would be something they arent by the end of their first week in the ICU taking orders from that mean doctor. Wake up.

One of these guys was evidently a frequent SDN poster before he became a “nurse anesthesiologist”, asking attendings what it felt like to be called Doctor and lamenting becoming a nurse and not attending medical school. Someone once posted a compilation of his “greatest hits” from SDN and it was pretty apparent to me at that time that this individual is pretty salty that he couldn’t get the ball across the line.
It’s pretty obvious what the issue is for these people, so this kind of stuff will just continue.

Last edited:
One of these guys was evidently a frequent SDN poster before he became a “nurse anesthesiologist”, asking attendings what it felt like to be called Doctor and lamenting becoming a nurse and not attending medical school. Someone once posted a compilation of his “greatest hits” from SDN and it was pretty apparent to me at that time that this individual is pretty salty that he couldn’t get the ball across the line.
It’s pretty obvious what the issue is for these people, so this kind of stuff will just continue.
what was his screen name?

becasue they want your job. THey want to eliminate you. And the current 'play nice attitude' of the ASA is making it harder and harder for us to supervise them. (not that i want to). Even the RNs roll their eyes if you want zofran instead of compazine for nausea. It has to stop, there needs to be consequences for insubordination.
There is no place for elitists on this forum, or in our hospitals! If you can't be collegial and play nice, you will not be allowed to play.

(Did I quote the PC crowd correctly?)

Last edited by a moderator:
#HireAAs
That is the answer. Plain and simple however...... The people at the head of the ASA work with CRNAS and cannot afford to piss them off. Because once they advocate for AAs. CRNAS will turn their back on them.. strart writing nasty **** about them

Reactions: 3 users
what was his screen name?

I don’t recall, maybe somebody reading this will remember. I know he did use his real name, first and last, on SDN which is how people here were able to realize the now CRNA was the same person.
I just remember thinking this was a really weird guy with a massive ego problem.

I don’t recall, maybe somebody reading this will remember. I know he did use his real name, first and last, on SDN which is how people here were able to realize the now CRNA was the same person.
I just remember thinking this was a really weird guy with a massive ego problem.
That is generally how CRNAs are in general

Attachments

• IMG_5550.JPG
    IMG_5550.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 2 users
I used to care about crap like this. I no longer have the psychic energy to do so. They want anesthesia? Take it.

That is the answer. Plain and simple however...... The people at the head of the ASA work with CRNAS and cannot afford to piss them off. Because once they advocate for AAs. CRNAS will turn their back on them.. strart writing nasty **** about them

Had a militant dnp crna apparently get bent out of shape and mad at one of our attendings (who was pro-crna since he was their education coordinator and preferentially always work with crna’s over residents) but ending up writing on the VA comment page about defending anesthesiologists.

Also when in residency I was thrown under the bus a couple of times because attendings said they can’t afford to anger the crna’s since they have to deal with them every day and for the long term, since we are just transients around for few weeks each service. Or when good cases went to them they would hide behind the “best for billing purposes” excuse.

So yeah definitely agree, ASA will never support us.

Last edited:
That is generally how CRNAs are in general
You need to meet more of them. I wouldn't generalize so easily. In my experience, there is a 2-1 chance between a decent human being and a big ego.

I used to care about crap like this. I no longer have the psychic energy to do so. They want anesthesia? Take it.
+1. This is exactly how they win. They are like illegal immigrants. Regardless of any lip service, the bean counters can't afford to remove them because the economy is dependent on them.

There is no ACT anesthesia practice where one can survive if the CRNAs want one out. The shortest way to the pink slip is angering them.

The answer is obvious to reduce the tension and prevent stupidity. Work at the state level with your state anesthesia PAC and get AAs working in your state and integrate them.
Everyone trained to deliver anesthesia that wants to and is qualified to should be doing so.
Cowtowing to the CRNAs that rebel against AAs...like Seven Hills Anesthesia in Ohio recently did...only enables the mindset that some of these guys have that they can and should be doing it all...alone.
Seven Hills was considering AAs...CRNA started a petition to not hire them (under the guise of not being as safe as a fresh CRNA) and they bent the knee. Google searched the CRNA who started the petition and what do ya know hes a CRNA with two years experience blasting on twitter how CRNAs should be independently working and dont need the guidance of a residency trained Anesthesiologist.

nurse anesthesiologist is kinda awkward sounding isn't it? how about "anursethetist" instead

Reactions: 7 users
The answer is obvious to reduce the tension and prevent stupidity. Work at the state level with your state anesthesia PAC and get AAs working in your state and integrate them.
Everyone trained to deliver anesthesia that wants to and is qualified to should be doing so.
Cowtowing to the CRNAs that rebel against AAs...like Seven Hills Anesthesia in Ohio recently did...only enables the mindset that some of these guys have that they can and should be doing it all...alone.
Seven Hills was considering AAs...CRNA started a petition to not hire them (under the guise of not being as safe as a fresh CRNA) and they bent the knee. Google searched the CRNA who started the petition and what do ya know hes a CRNA with two years experience blasting on twitter how CRNAs should be independently working and dont need the guidance of a residency trained Anesthesiologist.

Those CRNAs hopefully recognize they have essentially been put on notice by this group. They better cover all the shifts and quit whining. They’re replaceable just like everyone else.
The CRNAs threw a huge fit when we brought in AAs in my old group, threatened to quit, refused to eat lunch at the same tables as the AAs, etc. Some of my partners fell for the antics and voted against it to keep the peace, but they were the minority. In the end the nurses didn’t follow through on their threats- there was no mass exodus and eventually all the midlevels got along fine relatively speaking.
Side note: I still keep in touch with some of my old partners and they haven’t hired a single CRNA since they brought in AAs. As attrition occurs, they add AAs and not nurses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Those CRNAs hopefully recognize they have essentially been put on notice by this group. They better cover all the shifts and quit whining. They’re replaceable just like everyone else.
The CRNAs threw a huge fit when we brought in AAs in my old group, threatened to quit, refused to eat lunch at the same tables as the AAs, etc. Some of my partners fell for the antics and voted against it to keep the peace, but they were the minority. In the end the nurses didn’t follow through on their threats- there was no mass exodus and eventually all the midlevels got along fine relatively speaking.
Side note: I still keep in touch with some of my old partners and they haven’t hired a single CRNA since they brought in AAs. As attrition occurs, they add AAs and not nurses.

Thats how it should be! Who is going to up and quit a comfortable job and uproot everything in protest of a qualified provider who can reduce their caseload!?!

+1. This is exactly how they win. They are like illegal immigrants. Regardless of any lip service, the bean counters can't afford to remove them because the economy is dependent on them.

There is no ACT anesthesia practice where one can survive if the CRNAs want one out. The shortest way to the pink slip is angering them.

Sure there is. When you do one or more of the following: sign their paychecks. Hire them. Fire them. Determine case assignments and schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about us, mere mortal employees, not partners. :)

THIS is what happens: Lobbying against CRNAs is not acceptable at UNC

And this is what the person signing their paychecks, hiring and firing them wrote: Lobbying against CRNAs is not acceptable at UNC
If that chair had written that about me saying my letter was unprofessional I would have straight marched into his office and showed him what unprofessionalreally was. Then I would have resigned. On the spot. Not two weeks. On the spot

That chairman defended the crnas over his new pediatric anesthesiologist. If that is not the ultimate definition of 'yella' i don't know what is.
And we wonder why nurses want to be called anesthesiologists.
update. They are 5000 dollars away from being called anesthesiologists.
Keep giving money to the A$A,
You wont have a specialty in 15 years.
Guaranteed.

If that chair had written that about me saying my letter was unprofessional I would have straight marched into his office and showed him what unprofessionalreally was. Then I would have resigned. On the spot. Not two weeks. On the spot

That chairman defended the crnas over his new pediatric anesthesiologist. If that is not the ultimate definition of 'yella' i don't know what is.
And we wonder why nurses want to be called anesthesiologists.
Dude, I hope you are much more balanced when providing anesthesia. Because what you have just described is hotheaded and GUARANTEED career-destroying.

Anesthesiology is a much smaller world than people think.

Dude, I hope you are much more balanced when providing anesthesia. Because what you have just described is hotheaded and GUARANTEED career-destroying.
At least I would not be a pansy invertebrate. Which to me would be the ultimate insult

WHy would I not be able to find another job with a real leader not a 'yella'one
Never piss off an academic chair. They seem to have more connections than cancers have metastatic cells.

Never piss off an academic chair. They seem to have more connections than cancers have metastatic cells.
You would let him do that to you? and stay?

In a situation like that, staying and putting out the fire may be the lesser evil.
He called your protected letter to YOUR senator offensive and unprofessional to the ENTIRE dept including those you are supposed to lead.
Are you kidding me hijo?

He called your protected letter to YOUR senator offensive and unprofessional to the ENTIRE dept including those you are supposed to lead.
Are you kidding me hijo?
Walking out is not the solution. Walking out after getting a better job, while minimizing hard feelings from your former bosses and colleagues, is. Being labeled as a CRNA-hater is the kiss of death in certain markets.

I am not a political being, but neither the corporate world nor PP appreciate outspoken individuals who cannot swallow their ego for the group.

Walking out is not the solution. Walking out after getting a better job, while minimizing hard feelings from your former bosses and colleagues, is. Being labeled as a CRNA-hater is the kiss of death in certain markets.

I am not a political being, but neither the corporate world nor PP appreciate outspoken individuals who cannot swallow their ego for the group.
You can walk out NOW or walk out after getting a better job as you said is equally acceptable. The point is you HAVE to make a statement by LEAVING. Your boss has demonstrated that he will not back or support you. And this was an EASY one. He should have supported her 100 %. Can you imagine if he has a harder thing on his plate? Like one of her complications(which she will have) or a surgeon or nurse complaint. What then?

url

aaaa-logo.png

My response. Train AAs in all 50 states. Open up schools everywhere

If someone would post this on their ASA twitter page. @ASALifleline

My twitter is Jacked, Meanwhile Ill work the reddit angle to raise awareness.

why do none of their posts have any likes or comments?

I was thinking that the ASA contributed to this with the whole "Physician Anesthesiologist" moniker.
At the time they started this I saiid why put physician in front of it. Is there any other kind of Anesthesiologist. I guess on august 10 2019 there will be. Shameful really

If anyone on here wants to join a grassroot group of physicians that are taking on the erosion of medicine by midlevels and corporations, please PM me. Medstudents can join for free. You will be thoroughly vetted since we only allow physicians and future physicians in our private group.