Nurse Anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think it sounds strange. I try to introduce myself as "Hi, I'm Dr X, I'll be your physician doing your anesthesia." I emphasize physician so the surrounding CRNA's hear it.

I wish we could all get in a room and agree on terms. who cares what we call each other - as long as the CRNA's agree it is important to delineate, and that they would agree on a term that we could use and that they could use that clearly showed that they were different. Who cares if they think they are better. Good for them.

I've always said - let the public decide. But IF we do that, we need to stop playing in the sand box. Give CRNA's complete independence. Then sue their A*SS if we find them using any of our guidelines, any of our textbooks, any of our science.

Then don't let them work in MD hospitals. They can have their own hospitals. And again, let the public decide where they want to go.

IF we give them complete indepedence, we can then refuse to work in the same building as them. How many surgeons would go for this in a hospital?

I mean, maybe they are just as good. If they are, that will manifest itself. If they aren't, that will also manifest itself.

I vote for this as well. I say let the CRNAs have full independence. I couldn’t care any less. I would rather do my own cases than run around doing pre-ops and figuring out the logistics of how I’m going to squeeze in the two 15s and a 30 for each CRNA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I vote for this as well. I say let the CRNAs have full independence. I couldn’t care any less. I would rather do my own cases than run around doing pre-ops and figuring out the logistics of how I’m going to squeeze in the two 15s and a 30 for each CRNA.
+100. Whenever I have a solo day, it's like a parallel universe. Even BMI 50 patients become fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is not the answer.

For me it is. I couldn’t care any less about the effect on the profession, healthcare system, or population level measurable differences in morbidity and mortality. All I care about is me, my job and life satisfaction, and the patients I take care of.

Believe it or not, despite my cynicism, I also think independent CRNAs would actually drive up the demand for anesthesiologists as well as drive up salaries. Despite the rhetoric from the CRNA lobby groups, most surgeons still want an anesthesiologist involved. Do you want to be the surgeon who uses the CRNAs while the other surgeons only works with anesthesiologists? How about the hospital that uses CRNAs while the one down the road uses anesthesiologists? I work with some surgeons who refuse to even allow CRNAs in the room...and their cases are not overly complex. CRNA independence would be suicide for their profession whether they know it or not. If they want to staff the greedy GI suites or the hospitals in the middle of nowhere, have at it, because I have no desire to do that anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
I've always said - let the public decide. But IF we do that, we need to stop playing in the sand box. Give CRNA's complete independence. Then sue their A*SS if we find them using any of our guidelines, any of our textbooks, any of our science.

that's not how the law works.

Reactions: 1 users
that's not how the law works.
You would think that is the case, but when a president can argue what the definition of “is” is, a murderer with indisputable DNA evidence gets off free because of a catchy glove-fitting line, the head of NSA bold-face lies to congress about blatant 4th amendment offense and no one cares or does anything about it, you can be a super hot pop star and have sex with LOTS of little boys and get away with it because of great lawyers, etc...I would say anything is possible “legally” with a good argument.