Nutrition under UCSD is BIOL? - BCPM or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSherman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This is more of a question specific to the AAMC, so I thought this would be a good place to ask about this since the AAMC itself was pretty vague.

I'm interested in taking two Nutrition courses from the UCSD Extension program. I have an interest in some aspects of nutrition and I've already taken their load of science. It's listed under the BIOL program, so I thought it could be considered a BCPM course. However, Nutrition is apparently not a BCPM course, though that apparently applies more to institutions that have a specific Nutrition department.

UCSD doesn't have a Nutrition department, so all their Nutrition courses are listed under BIOL - something that could qualify it for BCPM credit.

The courses I'm looking at will be going over the following:
  • The importance of nutrition research, research study designs, the scientific method
  • Planning a healthy diet; utilizing balance, moderation and variety
  • Guidelines for nutrition; the Dietary Reference Intakes, Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the food label
  • Nutrient digestion, absorption and transport and common disorders of the GI tract
  • Carbohydrates, lipids and proteins, including their functions, needs, sources and roles in health
  • Vitamins, minerals and dietary supplements
  • Nutrition throughout the lifecycle including nutrition for pregnancy, breastfeeding, infancy, childhood, adolescence and older adulthood
  • Energy balance, weight management and eating disorders
  • Food safety and technology
  • Global hunger and malnutrition
  • Nutrition screening, assessment, counseling and nutritional genomics
  • Nutrition support (tube feeding and total parenteral nutrition), hospital and modified diets and food-drug interactions
  • Nutrient digestion, the human microbiome and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract
  • Hypertension and heart disease
  • Diabetes and prediabetes
  • Energy balance, weight management, overweight and obesity and metabolic syndrome
  • Energy metabolism, inborn errors of metabolism, metabolic stress and respiratory disorders
  • Liver and kidney disease
  • Cancer and HIV/AIDS
As you can see, there are some hard science concepts in the mix, so I'm thinking I could argue the Nutrition course's BCPM status if it were to be disputed.

XX

What do you guys think? Nutrition is definitely a grey line for the BCPM grading scale and it seems to vary on a case-by-case basis, according to this forum and my interaction with the AAMC representative.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! This is more of a question specific to the AAMC, so I thought this would be a good place to ask about this since the AAMC itself was pretty vague.

I'm interested in taking two Nutrition courses from the UCSD Extension program. I have an interest in some aspects of nutrition and I've already taken their load of science. It's listed under the BIOL program, so I thought it could be considered a BCPM course. However, Nutrition is apparently not a BCPM course, though that apparently applies more to institutions that have a specific Nutrition department.

UCSD doesn't have a Nutrition department, so all their Nutrition courses are listed under BIOL - something that could qualify it for BCPM credit.

The courses I'm looking at will be going over the following:
  • The importance of nutrition research, research study designs, the scientific method
  • Planning a healthy diet; utilizing balance, moderation and variety
  • Guidelines for nutrition; the Dietary Reference Intakes, Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the food label
  • Nutrient digestion, absorption and transport and common disorders of the GI tract
  • Carbohydrates, lipids and proteins, including their functions, needs, sources and roles in health
  • Vitamins, minerals and dietary supplements
  • Nutrition throughout the lifecycle including nutrition for pregnancy, breastfeeding, infancy, childhood, adolescence and older adulthood
  • Energy balance, weight management and eating disorders
  • Food safety and technology
  • Global hunger and malnutrition
  • Nutrition screening, assessment, counseling and nutritional genomics
  • Nutrition support (tube feeding and total parenteral nutrition), hospital and modified diets and food-drug interactions
  • Nutrient digestion, the human microbiome and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract
  • Hypertension and heart disease
  • Diabetes and prediabetes
  • Energy balance, weight management, overweight and obesity and metabolic syndrome
  • Energy metabolism, inborn errors of metabolism, metabolic stress and respiratory disorders
  • Liver and kidney disease
  • Cancer and HIV/AIDS
As you can see, there are some hard science concepts in the mix, so I'm thinking I could argue the Nutrition course's BCPM status if it were to be disputed.

XX

What do you guys think? Nutrition is definitely a grey line for the BCPM grading scale and it seems to vary on a case-by-case basis, according to this forum and my interaction with the AAMC representative.
List it in whichever way benefits your GPA. Sounds sciency enough and could help if under the biology department. Worst that could happen is they reclassify it.

List it in whichever way benefits your GPA. Sounds sciency enough and could help if under the biology department. Worst that could happen is they reclassify it.

Fair point. I could probably ask UCSD or the professor to then send a syllabus or a note to appeal for its "science-ness."

It's basically an introduction to Nutrition though, so I'm not sure if the title can help. Only the content and the BIOL moniker pushes it into the science category, for the most part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair point. I could probably ask UCSD or the professor to then send a syllabus or a note to appeal for its "science-ness."

It's basically an introduction to Nutrition though, so I'm not sure if the title can help. Only the content and the BIOL moniker pushes it into the science category, for the most part.
If you want to appeal if they reclassify a signed letter or syllabus is good. I would just classify it as BCPM and ignore hey reclassify it...the delay in verification probably isn’t worth it for the 0.1 affect that one class will have

Status
Not open for further replies.