NYC - CMA Training but no accredited schools in the area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asphyxiation

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, really new here so I apologize in advance if this is a little sloppy.

I'm a first year Bio major and can't seem to get another job to save my life. Having a different job in line with my major and goals that also affords rent would be great but I also still need financial aid. I'm looking at getting a cert for MA work, preferably CMA. I did a search on ABHES and nothing in my state is accredited by them or CAAHEP. My searches can't seem to turn anything up on the regulations and I'd really like to avoid both getting fleeced and spending ridiculous amounts of money for a cert. Does anyone know if there are specific laws or rules in NYS that curcumvent accreditation or is paying out of pocket/ridiculous amounts of money for a cert to put me in front of patients really just my best option at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your response. So in the first link it clearly states that employing an unlisenced medical assistant is unprofessional, yet in the second link it states it happens anyway. Does it look better to an employer that I am licensed and achieved it from a decent school? I'd assume it would. To clarify my goal for med school is to be an M.D. and hopefully go for surgery. Cardio thoracic or emergency would be awesome and I can only imagine that observing the laws around medicine to it's fullest would also benefit me in my pursuit of this. I haven't seen any listings for ECG training but I'll keep an eye out. Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. So in the first link it clearly states that employing an unlisenced medical assistant is unprofessional, yet in the second link it states it happens anyway. Does it look better to an employer that I am licensed and achieved it from a decent school? I'd assume it would. To clarify my goal for med school is to be an M.D. and hopefully go for surgery. Cardio thoracic or emergency would be awesome and I can only imagine that observing the laws around medicine to it's fullest would also benefit me in my pursuit of this. I haven't seen any listings for ECG training but I'll keep an eye out. Thank you again.
Section 6530 (11) of Education Law states that "permitting, aiding or abetting an unlicensed person to perform activities requiring a license" constitutes unprofessional conduct.

The key thing in that sentence and what is further explained in the statement is that activities requiring a license should not be done by a medical assistant but activities that do not require a license can be performed by a medical assistant. Examples are provided of activities that do not require a license.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay I understood it mostly right, the second article made it appear as though it was still happening. Thank you again. There isn't much ECG training and I think I've got my plan made up. Thank you again.