******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My guess would be that we won't have access until after orientation.

may be u r right..

Members don't see this ad.

Does Anyone Have Any Information About Apts, Rooms Etc.. For Nuycomers If So Please Pm Me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does Anyone Have Any Information About Apts, Rooms Etc.. For Nuycomers If So Please Pm Me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, there was a NYCOM housing thread. We still have 1 last room open at our house.

**Edit** Thread can be located here.

Members don't see this ad :)
So NYCOM's tuition is 18647 per semester, hence 37294 per year (without the insurance, of course).

I am wondering if I take out 21500 per semester, will I be in a good shape?
I live with Parents and they will also help me out with gas and some portion of book expenses.
Currently, my default loans is around 24000 per semester, so I am thinking reducing it to 21500 per semester.

HOw much are your parents paying for, and wat will you need loans for? I'm assuming your parents won't charge you rent or food. And if they're helping with gas and books, 21500 should be enough for tuition, car insurance, and supplies that you need, per semester might even be too much. But the loans come in 2 parts, so after the first half, you can see if you find it's too much, reduce the amount for the second semester

HOw much are your parents paying for, and wat will you need loans for? I'm assuming your parents won't charge you rent or food. And if they're helping with gas and books, 21500 should be enough for tuition, car insurance, and supplies that you need, per semester might even be too much. But the loans come in 2 parts, so after the first half, you can see if you find it's too much, reduce the amount for the second semester

My parents don't charge me for the rent/food. I just need extra money for equipment fee and miscellaneous costs (university fee, cloths, parking etc) that I don't know of yet. Although my parents said they will pay for the books, I am thinking to buy the rest of the books after $500. Also, I don't need to pay for car insurance 'cause my name is under my father's coverage and he doesn't want me to pay for it. Are there any school related charges that might be added to the tuition fee of $18647? or any big fees throughout the year?

For those who got the grant from NYCOM...did you use NYCOM as the lender? or were you able to use a different lender for your stafford and/or gradplus?

Thanks!

For those who got the grant from NYCOM...did you use NYCOM as the lender? or were you able to use a different lender for your stafford and/or gradplus?

Thanks!

Yeah, I used NYCOM as the lender. I think you can use different lender. I saw other options while signing up. Not sure though.

I noticed on the student handbook, it mentioned the attire for OMM lab and anatomy lab. Now, I'm just wondering what they mean under the dress code for the ladies in OMM. t says that we have to wear a halter top with a thin back strap, backless bathing suit, or a reversed shirt. What is a reversed shirt? My mind figures a reverse shirt is a shirt turned inside out, but how is that different from wearing a shirt the right way? Also, anyone think we acn wear camis instead of halter tops? I don't own any halter tops, and I'm not too keen on wearing a bathing suit.

And I'm sure I'm stressing over small things, but if we must wear halters, I'd rather buy them now while some stores still have them instead of being stuck in September and only finding long sleeved sweaters for sale.

I'm not sure what they mean by "reverse shirts" but girls basically need something that exposes the bulk of their backs. Guys get the privilege of going topless, haha.

To be honest, I'd say that for 75% of OMMs you get to wear your shirt the whole time and even when you need to have your back exposed its only for a nominal amount of time in the other labs...unless you get the honor (ha!) of being chosen to be demonstrated on and in that case your bare body will be on video for NYCOM students to view till the end of time...

I'm not sure what they mean by "reverse shirts" but girls basically need something that exposes the bulk of their backs.

A button-up shirt turned around backwards so you can expose your back.

has anyone seen girls in just regular tank tops with thin straps/tube tops/sports bras? i do have a halter top with a thin strap, but i don't feel like being the girl in the same halter top every week for OMM lab haha.

has anyone seen girls in just regular tank tops with thin straps/tube tops/sports bras? i do have a halter top with a thin strap, but i don't feel like being the girl in the same halter top every week for OMM lab haha.

That's basically what I was wondering. I figured regular tank with thin straps should be fine, just because they can't stop you from wearing a bra, so if you've got straps on your bra, you should be able to wear a tank than. But I wasn't sure, so that's why I asked. And I know, wearing a regular bra is a fashion no no with a halter, but while they can tell us to wear something for lab, I doubt they can tell us which lingerie to wear. Besides, it's very difficult to find convertible straps in the larger sizes, and strapless bras don't really support you too well if you have a larger chest. But I figured I'd ask, just because I don't even own one halter top.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you girls are so concerned about what to wear for OMM why not either get some one peice bathing suits, most of which have a low cut back and are on sale now, or go to a place where you can find dancers clothing, they also wear body suits which cover the front while having thin straps and an open back.

Nobody will care. Many of the girls just wear the same bikini tops or halter tops with shorts week after week. Wear whatever ya got as long as your back is exposed. I'm sure many of you are worried about being shirtless in front of your classmates, others having their hands on you, etc. But after a couple weeks at school, you'll automatically take the shirt off, lay flat on the table and be ready to be poked and cracked and not think twice about it. You'll be more worried about passing your exam.

That's basically what I was wondering. I figured regular tank with thin straps should be fine, just because they can't stop you from wearing a bra, so if you've got straps on your bra, you should be able to wear a tank than. But I wasn't sure, so that's why I asked. And I know, wearing a regular bra is a fashion no no with a halter, but while they can tell us to wear something for lab, I doubt they can tell us which lingerie to wear. Besides, it's very difficult to find convertible straps in the larger sizes, and strapless bras don't really support you too well if you have a larger chest. But I figured I'd ask, just because I don't even own one halter top.

I don't own halter top either. I have to buy one.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone can give me a better idea of the DPC program that I am enrolled in but contemplating whether it's for me or not. Also, do the DPC program students have the same book list? Any DPC info will be really helpful! Thanks!

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone can give me a better idea of the DPC program that I am enrolled in but contemplating whether it's for me or not. Also, do the DPC program students have the same book list? Any DPC info will be really helpful! Thanks!
Look in the part 1 thread for info posted by NVSHELAT. Don't buy any books until you talk to your big sister/brother.

What about the men? do they have to be topless?? do they have any other option?

What about the men? do they have to be topless?? do they have any other option?
Yes. You wear a t-shirt or whatever you want, but then when someone needs to practice on you, the shirt comes off.

Yes. You wear a t-shirt or whatever you want, but then when someone needs to practice on you, the shirt comes off.

lol. fatty guys are in trouble.. However, everyone should be professional.

lol. fatty guys are in trouble.. However, everyone should be professional.
Yeah, there's plenty of fatties, especially as the year went on. But nobody cares. You guys have nothing to worry about. Everyone is professional and there will be 30 other people with their shirts off in the room at any given time. It's like being at the beach. :cool: The downside is that it is much harder to do OMM on a person with a higher bf %; but remember a large percentage of your future patients will be obese, so get used to it! Try to pair up with a really skinny girl for the OMM tests; you'll be able to not only feel their spinous processes but see them as well!

Yeah, there's plenty of fatties, especially as the year went on. But nobody cares. You guys have nothing to worry about. Everyone is professional and there will be 30 other people with their shirts off in the room at any given time. It's like being at the beach. :cool: The downside is that it is much harder to do OMM on a person with a higher bf %; but remember a large percentage of your future patients will be obese, so get used to it! Try to pair up with a really skinny girl for the OMM tests; you'll be able to not only feel their spinous processes but see them as well!

Thanks for your suggessions. Skinny girls are in demand. lol.

Can you do OMM practice on your gf ?

if she'll let you...haha

my wife never trusted me..

if she'll let you...haha

my wife never trusted me..

lol. why not? dont hurt her and take her for a treat. then she will. lol..
I guess i will be able to practice..

Can you do OMM practice on your gf ?

I'm a hit at any party I go to with my non-med school friends because everyone wants me to crack their necks, backs, ribs, etc...

...and yes, I can vouch for the fatty thing! I'm good to practice on but you don't want me as your partner on the exam!! I find it hysterical though how i'm 6'1 and well over 200 lbs. and I always get the 80lbs. Asian girls for all my practicals!:laugh:

I'm a hit at any party I go to with my non-med school friends because everyone wants me to crack their necks, backs, ribs, etc...

...and yes, I can vouch for the fatty thing! I'm good to practice on but you don't want me as your partner on the exam!! I find it hysterical though how i'm 6'1 and well over 200 lbs. and I always get the 80lbs. Asian girls for all my practicals!:laugh:

It looks like you are having a lot of fun in bonus with the necessary practices.

How the exam works? on the exam, the proctor choose a partner for you? and you have to identify their bone? i have no idea. so if u can explain little more . thanks..

for those of you going? what is this? haha i rsvpd, but i have no idea what it is....i.e whats the dress code?

I'm hoping it's casual. It's supposed to be at the guys house at 2 in the afternoon, I doubt he expects to see anyone in dress pants and button down shirts. Nice pair of pants and a polo or so, and like something classy for girls :confused:

what are you guys doing about books? have you bought any, and if so, which ones? or are you waiting til next week?

what are you guys doing about books? have you bought any, and if so, which ones? or are you waiting til next week?

I bought only a couple of books ones that I know will be needed based on speaking to two third year students. Grants dissector, Anatomy atlas, Bates book for Physical examination and a medical dictionary. The rest I will wait and see.

I ordered about 10 books which were listed on SDN a few times as the ones that are really necessary and I have an old stethoscope that my uncle no longer uses. I'm waiting it out for anything extra.

With one week until classes start, What do you want to accomplish before school starts?

With one week until classes start, What do you want to accomplish before school starts?

I want to finish packing for when I finally move out in a couple days. I also want to get settled in my apartment and sleep in my new bedsheets.

I am cleaning my room. At this rate it will take me all week.

Watch lots and lots of TV, eat and sleep. :D
I also want to get the books that are absolutely necessary, but don't know which one to get.

Watch lots and lots of TV, eat and sleep. :D
I also want to get the books that are absolutely necessary, but don't know which one to get.

exactly, i wish i knew which books were going to be absolutely necessary too.

what is everyone wearing to orientation... i was thinking pants but if its hot i might do cargos

exactly, i wish i knew which books were going to be absolutely necessary too.
Absolutely necessary? Robbins Path, Grant's dissector. I guess these are the ones I would say every student at NYCOM should have. BTW, I took a chance and ordered the international version of robbins to save money and it paid off, came in color and everything and much cheaper. :D

For first year, I found Bates book completely unneccessary & never used; dunno if it will come in handy 2nd or 3rd year.

what is everyone wearing to orientation... i was thinking pants but if its hot i might do cargos

I was just planning on wearing jeans. I don't think you really need to get all dressed up for orientation.

i'm wearing a tux. you only get to do orientation once.

Get 1st aid for the USMLE as well as Robbins.

The Bates book is a joke although they seemed to a couple of questions directly from it on every exam. The thing is, you'd have like 100 pages of reading to do from it and they'd pick a random question to give you from it. It's not worth getting the book.

Don't wear a tux to orientation. You'll be uncomfortable for 8 hours. Wear shorts and a t-shirt. No one cares how you're dressed.

By the way 1st years...2nd years have officially started up...we seriously are going to be monitored with GPS this year. They have an attendance system for the first 3 months set up...but after that time you're going to have to carry something that will show your precise location on campus at all times. Prepare to have your rights taken away.

80% mandatory attendance at lectures or you fail.

90% attendance at labs or you fail.

It sounds like it's going to be a lot more BS than last year. Granted you guys don't know how it was for us last year, but we'll always be able to remember the glory days. This year is looking to be about twice as difficult as last year and not because of the material but because of the fact that there is no safety net (100x the pressure as last year because if you failed a test last year you had the makeup as an option. Now it's remediation. So even though you shouldn't fail tests, it really ups the pressure during exams). You also have to be in class which destroys lots of free study time.

Anyway. Good luck to all the first years. Enjoy your last week of freedom. Buy a copy of Robbins, First Aid, and a dissector and get ready to study non-stop for 6 weeks. I found fundamentals to be the most difficult thread of the year. Don't fall behind at all. It was a poorly put together thread for us and it showed on the results of the first exam. Something like 40% of the first year class failed the first fundamentals test last year (and the same amount the first section of neuro). It wasn't a big deal last year because those kids were able to take retests, but this year they'd first have to remediate a course over the summer and the second course failed will result in dismissal from the school. Just keep that in mind and work your butts off from the beginning.

One other thing I'd do if I were you guys...sign onto noodle and add all of the courses from the 1st years (and 2nd years). Download all of the exams. It will give you practice exams to study from. I'd say that on our exams anywhere from 10-20 questions (out of 100) were repeats from the previous years exam and it helps big time. If you're starting out with 20 correct answers, you only need 50/80 correct to guarantee a pass. Also, if you go onto the still website, you can download the exams of the class of 2009 giving you even more resources to study from.

Well, that's a wrap. Good luck guys and see you next week.

can you buy the older version of some of the textbooks? Could you please list which texts can you not get the older versions for. Thank you in advance.

Get 1st aid for the USMLE as well as Robbins.

The Bates book is a joke although they seemed to a couple of questions directly from it on every exam. The thing is, you'd have like 100 pages of reading to do from it and they'd pick a random question to give you from it. It's not worth getting the book.

Don't wear a tux to orientation. You'll be uncomfortable for 8 hours. Wear shorts and a t-shirt. No one cares how you're dressed.

By the way 1st years...2nd years have officially started up...we seriously are going to be monitored with GPS this year. They have an attendance system for the first 3 months set up...but after that time you're going to have to carry something that will show your precise location on campus at all times. Prepare to have your rights taken away.

80% mandatory attendance at lectures or you fail.

90% attendance at labs or you fail.

It sounds like it's going to be a lot more BS than last year. Granted you guys don't know how it was for us last year, but we'll always be able to remember the glory days. This year is looking to be about twice as difficult as last year and not because of the material but because of the fact that there is no safety net (100x the pressure as last year because if you failed a test last year you had the makeup as an option. Now it's remediation. So even though you shouldn't fail tests, it really ups the pressure during exams). You also have to be in class which destroys lots of free study time.

Anyway. Good luck to all the first years. Enjoy your last week of freedom. Buy a copy of Robbins, First Aid, and a dissector and get ready to study non-stop for 6 weeks. I found fundamentals to be the most difficult thread of the year. Don't fall behind at all. It was a poorly put together thread for us and it showed on the results of the first exam. Something like 40% of the first year class failed the first fundamentals test last year (and the same amount the first section of neuro). It wasn't a big deal last year because those kids were able to take retests, but this year they'd first have to remediate a course over the summer and the second course failed will result in dismissal from the school. Just keep that in mind and work your butts off from the beginning.

One other thing I'd do if I were you guys...sign onto noodle and add all of the courses from the 1st years (and 2nd years). Download all of the exams. It will give you practice exams to study from. I'd say that on our exams anywhere from 10-20 questions (out of 100) were repeats from the previous years exam and it helps big time. If you're starting out with 20 correct answers, you only need 50/80 correct to guarantee a pass. Also, if you go onto the still website, you can download the exams of the class of 2009 giving you even more resources to study from.

Well, that's a wrap. Good luck guys and see you next week.

Thanks for your input.. do u guys have any suggession about a good medical dictionary? do we really need one?

do we have to take USMLE and COMLEX both?

wow, that post made me feel real good about starting this monday :thumbdown: