******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably a bit too soon for me to be asking, but what are the outlets that students have to voice an opinion? Is the student government effective?

I guess if anything, fear is an excellent motivator (lol). While there's alot of time to be (or become bitter), I think most of us are still excited about starting this next chapter in our lives. Let us enjoy it just a few more days haha :laugh:

Anyways, I do appreciate the input from all the 2nd yrs and I really look forward to meeting with everyone :thumbup:

You should be very excited as we all were last year at this time. Be sure to enjoy this weekend and to spend as much of it with your friends and family as possible. We do have the outlet of the Student Government I suppose but you have to remember, most of those kids are the people who are going to be asking the dean for a letter of rec. down the road.

Yeah there has been many negative posts about NYCOM over the last few months on this and the 2010 thread. Overall, NYCOM is still a great school. Yeah, we're all very frustrated that we have little to no say in what happens, especially with the amount of debt that we're all accruing. But when it comes down to it, I still like NYCOM.

The biggest thing that you people, as incoming first years, should take from this negativity is that NYCOM MEANS BUSINESS. They take no BS from nobody. You are there to study and to become the best physician you can, end of story. Just an aside as to how hardcore medical school is- last year we were in the middle of a lecture when the power went out during a storm or something. You'd think that the professor would stop class, but he didn't. He waited a few seconds and then continued to talk. The room was lite only from the battery powered lap top screens and we all had to gather up front so we could hear. 1 man on stage in the dark lecturing to us. This lasted about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. That's medical school.

Enjoy the next 2 days and don't stress about anything yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, can't wait to meet you all this upcoming week! So I just officially accepted to NYCOM after doing some serious debating between this school and another DO program. Anyway, just in the nick of time, and I'm so excited at this point, but am ridiculously stressed out with picking up and moving 3 days before orientation :eek:

My webboard access won't start til they process other things (presumably by the end of today, according to the office, but they're 'not sure') and I have a million other things to do so I was wondering if someone could PM me or post the course/lecture schedule? Just want to be in the know before orientation and I want to figure out where the furthest I can live is.

When I was initially considering NYCOM I was going to go with Bayside and almost got a place, but then I backed out and lost the place. I think I'd prefer living in Glen Cove at this point just to be closer.

congratulations on ur acceptance. the schedule is an word document. pm me with ur email address. i will send it to you..

in one quick year you first years will be just as bitter as us (if not more)
just you wait

OK....lets not scare the first years. Not everyone in the class is as bitter as the ones on this thread. Yes, the attendance policy sux...i hate it, but theres nothing we can do about it. The retakes....whatever... I think people relied on them too much last year. I know of a few people who didnt really study until they failed the first test. Study hard from the beginning and you shouldnt have an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK....lets not scare the first years. Not everyone in the class is as bitter as the ones on this thread. Yes, the attendance policy sux...i hate it, but theres nothing we can do about it. The retakes....whatever... I think people relied on them too much last year. I know of a few people who didnt really study until they failed the first test. Study hard from the beginning and you shouldnt have an issue.

Thanks for all of your inputs.. we know its little scary but its good that we are getting enough warning before we screw up.. We have to give a very good fight to survive.. and we have to win since there is no more turning back..

Does anyone know which books are absolutely necessary for the first few weeks?
I just want to get the books ready to study and hold off for other books.

Does anyone know which books are absolutely necessary for the first few weeks?
I just want to get the books ready to study and hold off for other books.
Check the last couple pages of this thread - Robbins path and grant's dissector are the only must haves for every student IMO. Netter's will be given to you if you sign up for SOMA for $60. RELAX on the other books for now; remember NYCOM gives you all the powerpoints and notes. Wait to meet with your big brother/sister.

Check the last couple pages of this thread - Robbins path and grant's dissector are the only must haves for every student IMO. Netter's will be given to you if you sign up for SOMA for $60. RELAX on the other books for now; remember NYCOM gives you all the powerpoints and notes. Wait to meet with your big brother/sister.

Thanks a lot plasticman. I just realized about the notes.
I am getting nervous as it gets closer and there will be quizzes the first week.

Does anyone know if NYCOM's insurance can be waived with "Family Health Plus"?

Thanks a lot plasticman. I just realized about the notes.
I am getting nervous as it gets closer and there will be quizzes the first week.

Does anyone know if NYCOM's insurance can be waived with "Family Health Plus"?

can anyone access the notes yet? or we have to wait untill orientation?

you can check out the notes from the 2010 fundamentals thread.

you can check out the notes from the 2010 fundamentals thread.

Yeah there's nothing from the 2011 Fundamentals Thread posted yet. They're probably making last minute changes to it and will post it on Monday.

rang, the nycom medical insurance can be waived off if you have family health plus or medicaid or whatever. bring a proof of when your insurance activated and that it is still activated and also the family health plus card to orientation. the administratives should provide the waiver forms and what not.

rang, the nycom medical insurance can be waived off if you have family health plus or medicaid or whatever. bring a proof of when your insurance activated and that it is still activated and also the family health plus card to orientation. the administratives should provide the waiver forms and what not.

Thanks for the info.

How's everyone doing?
I am so excited about school, yet getting a little reluctant about getting started (no particular reason). It's a funny feeling. Well, maybe it's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
JP-- it's on noodle, let me know if you can't find it. Ahh, can't believe we start so soon!
Hey sash...where is that thread? Is it on Noodle or on SDN? I'm a bit dense :laugh:

JP-- it's on noodle, let me know if you can't find it. Ahh, can't believe we start so soon!

Ahh my noodle access is jacked at the moment. If you don't mind can you PM me with how you are logging in? I might be doing something wrong. I am using my email address (minus the @nyit.edu) and my student ID #.

Thanks!!

Hey Sasha and all my new schoolmates. I've been reading the NYCOM threads here at SDN and I MUST SAY, very informative. Anytime I had a question, I'd come here, scroll back to see someone already asked it -- and had it answered. One more day to let loose before it all starts up. Glad to be amoung my MSI brethren, here at SDN. BTW, I cannot seem to get onto noodle or moodle. Can anyone PM me to help with this?? Thanks. Also, how did you guys incoporate an icon image under/next to your SDN site name? Thanks, again......

bev--im me if you're still on, super6girl

Can someone send me the doc w/ the 2010 fundamentals notes or whatever it is? I can't access noodle nor my email :( My email is [email protected]

Hey all. Sorry I wasn't still on last night Sash. Knocked out for a bit after I realized SDN shut down the site for a while. Enjoying my last free day today --- hanging out with family, friends and goofing around the house. Gotta straighten up my place and get set for orientation Monday. Hope everyone is getting amp'd up...but, remaining composed!! Glad to have this last day and I hope everyone does something fun with it....cuz' its ON as of tomorrow morning!! Woohoo, yeah!!!! :D:D:luck::luck::luck:

Quick question.....why can't we see class 2010 quizzess and exams??

www.Studentdo.com : SOMA

I dont see anything about Free Netter's Anatomy book...
and also how do you become a member?

can some one please explain where this noodle website is?

please post the link..
thanks

I just called my medical and dental insurance companies and filled out the form with the activation dates on my own. Do I still need to bring some kind of proof other then the card itself? Also, what's up with the other medical forms...life insurance or something?

www.Studentdo.com : SOMA

I dont see anything about Free Netter's Anatomy book...
and also how do you become a member?

That's a national website. The school's chapter gives away a netter's as part of joining. On Friday there will be a clubfair/bbq where you walk around and join the clubs you want to join. There is one for most specialties. Bring your checkbook or lots of cash! A lot of the clubs include a national membership with their local membership. They will have all of that information on Friday.

That's a national website. The school's chapter gives away a netter's as part of joining. On Friday there will be a clubfair/bbq where you walk around and join the clubs you want to join. There is one for most specialties. Bring your checkbook or lots of cash! A lot of the clubs include a national membership with their local membership. They will have all of that information on Friday.
No credit card?
I dont like checks

Hey KateGia, Thanks for the info! is there a general list of clubs that are "must-joins" like SOMA? Like for instance, ones that give the best bang for the buck or give nice freebies? :) Thanks!

PS:

Amazon.com has a coupon for textbooks. I bought Grant's Dissector, Robbin's path and 1st aid for USMLE using the ISBN #s from our textbook list.

Here are the details for the coupon:

1. Find your textbooks at www.amazon.com/textbooks. Add textbooks sold by Amazon.com to your shopping cart.

2. Proceed to checkout. At checkout, enter the promotional code TB7CHASE.

3. On the final checkout page, an additional 10% discount (maximum value $20) will be applied to your order and will appear in the upper right hand corner of your order summary.

4. Place your order on or before 10/07/2007 to enjoy the savings. Additional restrictions apply.*

* Offer only applies to textbooks sold by Amazon.com. Offer does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants. If Amazon.com is not the seller, this will be noted in the Availability section of the product detail page. Limit one offer per customer.

Even though the code appears to be for chase, I used an amex card and it went through fine :)

There's no tax on books so that's a huge plus and the standard shipping for my 3 books was only about $6. Free shipping is available if you're willing to wait about 2 weeks for delivery.

No credit card?
I dont like checks

No credit cards. Each club has their own bank account, so it would be way to expensive for them to have credit card processing abilities. Everything at school as far as activities, sales, etc are done w/ checks and cash, so be prepared. **edit - exception is the medical supplies sale. They take credit cards because it is not sold through NYCOM**

There is a list on the NYCOM website under of all of the available organizations. It's under the students menu. SOMA and AMSA are going to give you the most benefits probably. For the most part just join what you're interested in. Each club has opportunities to learn about the specialty, hear speakers, possibly go to conferences, etc.

How did you guys spend your last day of freedom?

I spent it with friends and family. Now I think I am ready to start, let the studying begin.

PS:

Amazon.com has a coupon for textbooks. I bought Grant's Dissector, Robbin's path and 1st aid for USMLE using the ISBN #s from our textbook list.

Here are the details for the coupon:

1. Find your textbooks at www.amazon.com/textbooks. Add textbooks sold by Amazon.com to your shopping cart.

2. Proceed to checkout. At checkout, enter the promotional code TB7CHASE.

3. On the final checkout page, an additional 10% discount (maximum value $20) will be applied to your order and will appear in the upper right hand corner of your order summary.

4. Place your order on or before 10/07/2007 to enjoy the savings. Additional restrictions apply.*

* Offer only applies to textbooks sold by Amazon.com. Offer does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants. If Amazon.com is not the seller, this will be noted in the Availability section of the product detail page. Limit one offer per customer.

Even though the code appears to be for chase, I used an amex card and it went through fine :)

There's no tax on books so that's a huge plus and the standard shipping for my 3 books was only about $6. Free shipping is available if you're willing to wait about 2 weeks for delivery.

Hey.. thanks for sharing. It works.

Thanks for the info about checks/cash, I'm so used to charging everything to earn cash back on my Discover card ;)

About how much should we expect to spend joining the clubs? I literally keep nothing in my checking account, and keep it all in ING earning interest, so I am glad to know this ahead of time....

No credit cards. Each club has their own bank account, so it would be way to expensive for them to have credit card processing abilities. Everything at school as far as activities, sales, etc are done w/ checks and cash, so be prepared. **edit - exception is the medical supplies sale. They take credit cards because it is not sold through NYCOM**

There is a list on the NYCOM website under of all of the available organizations. It's under the students menu. SOMA and AMSA are going to give you the most benefits probably. For the most part just join what you're interested in. Each club has opportunities to learn about the specialty, hear speakers, possibly go to conferences, etc.

Thanks for the info about checks/cash, I'm so used to charging everything to earn cash back on my Discover card ;)

About how much should we expect to spend joining the clubs? I literally keep nothing in my checking account, and keep it all in ING earning interest, so I am glad to know this ahead of time....

SOMA is $60, which you'll probably want to join. Other clubs range from $10 to $50, and one or 2 are free. I don't think there is any that cost more than that, but I'm not positive. I would read through the list and try to get an idea of what clubs you're considering. Here is the list of them http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Students_Organizations.htm (at the bottom). It doesn't give the cost of each, and there may be some that aren't on that list, I don't know how recently it's been edited.

SOMA is $60, which you'll probably want to join. Other clubs range from $10 to $50, and one or 2 are free. I don't think there is any that cost more than that, but I'm not positive. I would read through the list and try to get an idea of what clubs you're considering. Here is the list of them http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Students_Organizations.htm (at the bottom). It doesn't give the cost of each, and there may be some that aren't on that list, I don't know how recently it's been edited.

I heard a rumor that SOMA may cost as much as $75 to join this year. (This is still cheaper than the $80 to buy Netter's so it's still worth it)

Sorry if I scared any of you guys with my rants about NYCOM's changes. I still believe that NYCOM is a great school and graduates have been doing excellent in terms of the residencies they get. Just work your butts off and you should be fine.

Good luck to all of you tomorrow. It's gonna be weird to see the parking lot filled up.

Netter's anatomy is free from SOMA. I think it was $60 to join SOMA last year? Not sure why the dues went up.

Honestly, join clubs you plan on being active in, otherwise, it's not worth the money just to have your name listed in a club. The 2 "standard" clubs though are SOMA and AMSA. I'd recommend joining both if you have the money because they're the two large national organizations. Other than that, if you want ortho surgery, do ortho surgery, if you want family practice, do the family practice club, etc. etc. etc.

maybe if the card has the activation date on it it'll be ok. i'd prob just bring whatever proof i have cuz the person in charge of this stuff told me to bring a letter and card etc.

I just called my medical and dental insurance companies and filled out the form with the activation dates on my own. Do I still need to bring some kind of proof other then the card itself? Also, what's up with the other medical forms...life insurance or something?

You don't have to buy the expensive medical equip they sell on campus. I bought my oto/optho scope or like $70 on ebay and it has worked fine for me. Remember, when you're in the hospital, there is always equipment on the walls of pt. rooms.

Also, when is the big brother/big sister lunch?

You don't have to buy the expensive medical equip they sell on campus. I bought my oto/optho scope or like $70 on ebay and it has worked fine for me. Remember, when you're in the hospital, there is always equipment on the walls of pt. rooms.

Also, when is the big brother/big sister lunch?

wednesday 12:00 pm - 2 pm

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE FIRST YEARS! :)

the 2nd yrs have an exam tomorrow morning, so try and keep it down hahha

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE FIRST YEARS! :)

the 2nd yrs have an exam tomorrow morning, so try and keep it down hahha

HAHAHA well said!

Good luck guys, and don't forget to bring warm clothes!!!

What is everyone wearing tomorrow?
Suit?
Tie?
Jacket?

or just pants and shirts...

or maybe shorts..lol?

Another Question..
I have Medicaid does anyone know what do I need to take with me to waive NYCOM insurance?

I was thinking jeans and a shirt...it's 9 hours of listening to speeches and running around trying to get your forms to the right place...I hope I'm not the only one :laugh:

I'm just going with jeans and a polo shirt. I'll probably bring a sweatshirt as per JasonUD's advice too :)

did medicaid send you a letter stating when you were effective? i have medicaid too and i got one. bring that and also a photo copy of your card front and back.. that's all they asked from me. they're gonna make you fill out forms

Another Question..
I have Medicaid does anyone know what do I need to take with me to waive NYCOM insurance?

Good Morning every one.. See you all in less than 2 hours.

My wife goes to PA school and the first day of school they all came to school fancy.

I dont know..

I guess I will just go with a shirt and pants and keep the jacket in the car.

NYCOM here I COME!

My wife goes to PA school and the first day of school they all came to school fancy.

I dont know..

NYCOM here I COME!

G'morning!

I dont know..

NYCOM here I COME!
PAs have to dress up. We wear whatever we want. I usually rock a t-shirt and jeans.

PAs have to dress up. We wear whatever we want. I usually rock a t-shirt and jeans.
okay I am back home.. Hi every one.. how was the first day?

ANd that is so true Doctors wear what ever they want people came with shorts..lol
oh well that is great. we have so much to worry about that clothing shouldnt be another issue...

That line to take pictures was insane lol!

Yeah i agree, they should have had some way to separate it up. By the way, do we need to wear scrubs tomorrow for the afternoon part and what do we wear the rest of the time(lectures) because they never really went over that in the entire orientation period.