******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]
Item #7 Version A/#3 Version B: Correct answer is "C"
Item #18 (Versions A and B): Correct answer is "C"
Item #19 (Versions A and B): Correct answer is "B"
Item #20 (Versions A and B): Correct answer is "E"
Item #21 (Versions A and B): Correct answer is "D"
Item #22 (Versions A and B): Correct answer is "A"

I thought this was harder than neuro, but then again, I didn't really think neuro was that hard. Perhaps if I had some immunology background I wouldn't have had to learn it from scratch.

thanks. i posted that before she sent out the email with the answers so i'm good now.

Members don't see this ad.

The test was equivalent to most of the other tests, except that last intro test which was a joke.

The test was equivalent to most of the other tests, except that last intro test which was a joke.

I like the way they seem to have eased out of attendance for us. Maybe. I do think its because most of us are now used to going to class, and we dont need to be forced anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I have a few questions for you guys about the stuff said in our Student Handbook for 2012.

1) DPR required text "Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 9th Edition... it says to buy it and read it at our own pace. Should we do this or is it a waste of time since most med students say studying before school is stupid?

2) I have a Littmann Master Classic II that I got as a gift from a doctor I work with, but it's single tubing. Do I have to get a double tubing scope (as it is recommended on the memorandum)

3) Is there a specific brand sphygmomanometer that I should purchase or any generic one will do?

4) I assume that I must also buy the BLS for Healthcare Providers text.

1) Bates...don't bother reading it beforehand. I hardly ever use it. You may want to buy it because they DO ask pointless questions from it on every exam (about 2 per exam) but you may find it's not worth it to do the reading from it.

2) Stethoscope...probably the one piece of medical equipment you'll want to spend money on. You can keep it forever, why not at least buy yourself the Littman Cardio III.

3) Sphygmamonometer- waste of money. Unfortunately you need to buy one for the 2 times in DPR they'll make you use it over 2 years. It doesn't really need to be functional though and you'll wind up using the ones on the wall in ICC.

(side note- you don't need a good otoscope/opthalmoscope, but if you have kids at home you may want to get a good one since it can help save you trips to the doctor for ear infections)

4) Don't get BLS for healthcare providers but DO get the ACLS book during second year. You won't use the BLS book at all, but the ACLS is important since you need to get an 84 or higher on a 25 question test to pass the class and the questions come pretty much from the book.

Hey guys I have a few questions for you guys about the stuff said in our Student Handbook for 2012.

1) DPR required text "Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 9th Edition... it says to buy it and read it at our own pace. Should we do this or is it a waste of time since most med students say studying before school is stupid?

Take it out and read it at the library. Don't buy it is my advice.

2) I have a Littmann Master Classic II that I got as a gift from a doctor I work with, but it's single tubing. Do I have to get a double tubing scope (as it is recommended on the memorandum)
It depends on who is leading your DPR session. I've had a group where the doc frowned on single tube steths. Most don't seem to care though

3) Is there a specific brand sphygmomanometer that I should purchase or any generic one will do?

Get the cheapest one you can :)
Yeah. It's $10 in the bookstore. Don't worry about it for now, you probably won't have BLS until late dec or so.

Answers in bold above :D

i've never even heard of Bates. I wouldn't think it's very essential.

1) There is no reason to buy bates. I have only opened it once all year as a refrance at best. In your DPR (Doctor Patient Relations Courses) lectures they will tell you all you need to know. Most of the time that is true for almost all of the books they tell you to buy. Most of the books I have are just refrence sourses. All you really need to know for the exams (Not for the boards, for those you need to study totally seprately using board prep books, and reading some texts, like First Aid for the USMLE. You should try to add stuff you learn into you first Aid for the USMLE book as you go. That way you will have all the info in one place come board time.) are in the note packets and powerpoints they provide you. Memorize the packets and notes bound to break 80's most of the time.

2) Any stethoscope will do as long as you can hear with it. We only used it once so far this year when we learned how to take a BP (blood pressure).

3) I bought the cheapest BP cuff possible and it works fine. Mine was a welchAllyn Dura shock, it was under $20.In terms of equipment they do have a company come in who does give you some student discounts on equiptment. The prices were very reasonable for new equiptment. Some students bought some off ebay other sites.

4) Save the $11 you will get a lecture on it on Saturday or Sunday in the middle of the year, that will have all you need to know.

Thanks a lot for all of your replies. They are much appreciated.

Yea are you kidding. The CPR class is a joke even if you never took it before. YOu can't fail that exam/ they will give you the answers if you do bad. Yea you don't need to buy Bates. Who cares if you miss those few questions on the test, it makes no difference. And if you guys "did your hw", half the time their questions are straight from the slides at the beggining of DPR... tisk tisk.....

they might be changing the cpr guidelines again anyway, so if you plan on buying the book, wait until you take the class.
but you really dont need the bls or acls book. the acls book comes with pocket cards with all the algorithms on it, so just find them and study from them and you are set. acls is important though, its on step 2. know the drug sequences and when to shock.

Thanks guys. Another important question:

I'm looking into getting a laptop for school. Since nycom is mostly about learning from PPT's and downloadable handouts and such rather than textbooks, would it be wise to get a convertible tablet pc? I'm looking at the HP Pavilion tx2000z in specific if anyone is interested.

It seems like it can't hurt to have the option of taking notes on the PPT's. Worst case scenario is that it's still a laptop that can be used in non-tablet mode.... any thoughts?

Thanks guys. Another important question:

I'm looking into getting a laptop for school. Since nycom is mostly about learning from PPT's and downloadable handouts and such rather than textbooks, would it be wise to get a convertible tablet pc? I'm looking at the HP Pavilion tx2000z in specific if anyone is interested.

It seems like it can't hurt to have the option of taking notes on the PPT's. Worst case scenario is that it's still a laptop that can be used in non-tablet mode.... any thoughts?

I see alot of my classmates with those tablet PCs and I am very much jealous :) Can't go wrong with one imho :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you sure your stethescope has single tubing? A lot of them have 2 tubes within one. I'm not familiar with the master classic, but just check on this before you go buy another.

If it's in your price range, I would definitely recommend a tablet pc. Half the time NYCOM doesn't get the powerpoint notes to you ahead of time. You can usually download them online though just prior to a lecture. So having a tablet pc will ensure you'll always be able to take notes at lecture...if that's your thing.

If it's in your price range, I would definitely recommend a tablet pc. Half the time NYCOM doesn't get the powerpoint notes to you ahead of time. You can usually download them online though just prior to a lecture. So having a tablet pc will ensure you'll always be able to take notes at lecture...if that's your thing.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. More like 5-10% of the time. :thumbdown:

hey can I ask you guys that took out GRAD Plus loans which lender is the best one to use?

Just look at the interest rates. All of them are pretty similar in the end. Pick one you are familiar with. I personally use Key Bank

Yea, I would mainly look at interest rates. Some don't charge an initiation fee or something like that if I remember but may have higher interest rates...the key is, pick the one with the lowest interest rates. As long as you get your money who cares if it's coming from a big name or not as long as you're getting the lowest interest rate possible.

Yea, I exaggerated about the powerpoint notes...but still, even if it's 10% of the time, if you take notes on paper like I used to, when you didn't have the notes it was a wasted lecture.

hey can I ask you guys that took out GRAD Plus loans which lender is the best one to use?
Some lenders give you a better interest rate up front. Some give you incentives / reductions after you start making successful payments, etc. I did the long term calculations based on 20 year payback and AT THE TIME WE STARTED in 2006, Ed America was the cheapest of the lenders offered thru the NYCOM site in the long run with them having the lowest interest rate up front.

I haven't applied for fin. aid yet this year...but I remember doing the calculations last year and edamerica was the best bet. I'm not sure how large of a margin was, but it was the "cheapest" loan. Things may have changed this year. I'll do the alculations in about a week again.

5. Make the library/study room 24/7 (they have started to kick us out of the quiet study room at 2)

4. Make sure we receive all the CORRECT notes and also receive them BEFORE our lectures

3. Instead of having days where we come in for just 1 lecture, make a 2-3 hour day into 5, and then just give us the day off when there is supposed to be only 1 lecture

2. Switch OMM A1/B1 and A2/B2 once in a while....if anatomy can do it, DPR can do it, why does omm have to be so lazy

and FINALLY

1. Find a designated area for the lost and found, I don't know if I can handle anymore more "I found a pair of dirty boxers in the mailbox area, they are white with brown spots on them" emails that flood our inbox

I see that EdAmerica is the preferred lender for GradPLUS.

But what about for the Stafford unsubsidized loans? Is the school, NYCOM, the best choice or is there a better option like Chase?

geez...what are you still doing studying after 2 AM...they're doing you a favor. Go home, get some sleep.

In regards to that though...I think the library should open at 9 AM on sundays as opposed to 1 PM AND they should have the cafeteria serving food on all sundays before exams. They had started doing that, then stopped. I don't know what happened.

Also, the day of exams, the study room should open up at 5 AM, not 7 AM. Some people like to go really early to get some last minute studying in...

I totally agree with you! The lost and found emails are getting ridiculous.

integumentary system is up on noodle :)

the end is sooo near!

Its a good thing the end is near because my productivity level has decreased throughout the year. Im in serious need of this summer reset.

I don't understand why we only have 60 questions for this test when we have 4 wks of materials???

I agree i think it will leave too much up to chance as opposed to an accurate assessment of our overall knowledge... BUt who knows maybe it will be easy

Only took us 8 odd months to learn HVLA! Woo! I loves to crack backs! :thumbup:

hey class of 2011 :)
congrats on almost finishing your first year of NYCOM!!!

my roomate's graduating so i'm looking for another one... if you aren't interested but know of someone else who is looking for an apartment please let them know that there's a great place available :)

here's the info...

Available JUNE 1st or earlier!!!

Large bedroom in 2 bedroom apartment. Own bathroom!!!! Share kitchen & living room. Perfect for 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th year!!! 5 minutes from NYCOM, walking distance to grocery store & restaurants. 10 minutes to LIE and Northern State Parkway. Don’t have to park on street! Rent: $700 + utilities. No smoking, female only.

Interested? Please call 516 314 3034

Only took us 8 odd months to learn HVLA! Woo! I loves to crack backs! :thumbup:

HVLA is awesome. Best technique so far to impress family members. :D

HVLA is awesome. Best technique so far to impress family members. :D
:thumbup:
But now my family thinks I am just a Chiropracter.:mad: :barf::boom::wow:

Hi all.
I'm a NYCOM Alumni Class of 2005, currently finishing my FP residency in Long Beach. I have two houses in Valley Stream, a 3BR and a 4BR that I will be renting to students beginning in July. They are 30 minutes from school and very central to the NYCOMEC 3rd and 4th year rotations. So you could theoretically stay for all four years and not worry about moving.

Check out the details and photos online at www.haigroad.blogspot.com and feel free to contact me about the houses or anything else related to med school/NYCOM/internship/residency/finding a job!!!

Good luck,

Alexis Hugelmeyer
[email protected]
516-761-2500

Yup and i'm gonna ace this test and slack on the last one :)

Yup and i'm gonna ace this test and slack on the last one :)

sound like a good plan!!!

P.S: did anyone go to review this morning? Dr. May got cut off in the streaming.

hey- figured i would ask you guys about commuting. i live in a great rent-control apt in manhattan (about 10-15 min from the 59th st. bridge) and dont want to give it up. is it crazy to commute to nycom? does anyone in your class commute from the city? just wanted to hear your thoughts....thanks for any advice!!

Morning classes will be very tough. you'll prolly have about an hour commute (normal morning traffic). But if you like to wake up early, you can manage it.
maybe on days where there is class till 5pm, you could stay on campus till 8 or 9, traffic won't be bad and you will get work done. also, for the anatomy practicals, going in at night to practice ( 11pm or later) was nice for me, (less students crowding the lab). a long commute makes that tough. Exam days you'll prolly want to give 2 hours for traffic, just in case, the last thing you want to do is miss an exam cause there are no make-ups.

it's up to you, i know a bunch of people who commute from all over, they are all doing well in school and appear to be happy, it's just A LOT less convenient, but workable.

If any of you current 1st years are interested, I have typed notes for almost all of 2nd year. I started typing exam notes from maybe the end of cardio/resp. through the end of this year. In particular, my notes for endocrine, GI, GU, and reproductive system can probably be used solely almost solely as a study guide for the exams. I tend to bold anything that was stressed in class, etc. The notes are lengthy, for any particular exam they could be about 50-100 pages typed (double spaced) but could probably solely be used as a study guide for NYCOM's exams and save you some time to study for the boards next year. They're organized by lecture, and barring big changes in the lecturers next year, should be very useful.

PM me if you're interested.

OMM Lecture: Provocative Test & Integral Assessment - (video will not be posted - low attendance)

I really thought they would not do this in real world!
how many people were in class?

Did anyone take notes from that class?

OMM Lecture: Provocative Test & Integral Assessment - (video will not be posted - low attendance)

nah i didn't go. but really, it's just dr. gilliar. the notes are pretty clear and it's mostly a review of all those tests we learned in msk. besides, his questions come out of left field no matter what his lecture topic is. :)

See who had ICC during that time. They have access to the video and maybe they can share it. Though he did turn the microphone off during points of the lecture to say what should be known. Anywhere where he turned the microphone off is a point of emphasis.

Congratulations to all the b.s/d.o's that are graduating this Sunday from NYIT with their b.s. It's been 4 amazing and hard working years and it had paid off. Best of luck on Sunday! :hardy:

(Don't party too hard, back to class on Monday :D)

We made it!! MS-2 here we come! :)

Hope the practical grade goes up fast lol!

We made it!! MS-2 here we come! :)

Hope the practical grade goes up fast lol!

Congrats everyone!!!!!
can't believe we are MS2 now. :D
Have Fun and enjoy the summer!!!!

Hey guys, me again. Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I'm still in the market for a tablet PC for NYCOM.

I've narrowed it down to two tablets (Gateway C142XL vs Lenovo X61t). The major differences are price, screen size and weight (<4lbs vs >6lbs).

My question is: based on what you have seen from current students and your opinion, do you think having a heavier tablet will matter? Are there any situations where I might need to jot notes on the fly while holding the tablet because if the tablet will always be on a desk, the weight shouldn't really matter right?

The $500 cheaper Gateway has a bigger screen and gives a lot more bang for the buck, but it's heavy!

Thanks a lot for your replies.

No notes on the fly. you will always be sitting down in the lecture hall when your taking notes. go for the gateway and spend the left over 500 on drinks this summer.
Enjoy the summer.

I do not think you need a tablet PC as NYCOM DOES provide powerpoints over 90% of the time. If you attend lecture you will have the ppt to jot notes down on. Owning a tablet PC is motivation to go to class, but if you find yourself not going to class, it becomes a waste. I would honestly hold off on it until you get a feel for the NYCOM lectures, lecturers, and attendance policy. I think it would be a waste of money seeing as how the people that still go to class, only a handful (2 or 3) still use their tablet PC.

That being said, get the cheapest tablet PC if you really want one. In your case, the Gateway.