NYCOM class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYCOM is still a good school. Yes, the year was hard, but we made it through. Do I agree with the latest batch of changes to our curriculum, no. You know nobody really likes the changes when even the faculty have been pleading with us to put pressure on the dean! Do I still think NYCOM is a good school, yes. Going to class is going to suck, but we will adapt (or find some way to weasel around it ;)) In any case, now I'm doing summer research at NYCOM and am really liking it so far. The faculty member I'm working with is great and so are the other faculty memberes I've been interacting with.

Here is my advice to all of you: get your housing setup, get your room setup with your study area and study materials, etc. Get everything done before school starts. Then once school starts, immediately start studying after the first day of lecture. Do not wait; do not hesitate. If you get behind, it will be extremely difficult to catch up. Pay attention during lecture trying to understand everything. Read outside books like Robbins on the material you are covering to get other perspectives and to get a better understanding of the material. Don't read like a drone - if you read a paragraph and can't close your eyes and recite back to yourself the general idea of what you just read, READ IT OVER. Sometimes I read paragraphs 3 times before I fully make all the connections. I like to highlight my books so that I can quickly review the important points without re-reading every word. Form a study group - many of the tests I felt like I wouldn't have passed without my friends quizzing each other before the exam. They will point out things you didn't even realize you had to know! Get into a routine that includes some form of exercise. Whoever tells you there is no time to exercise is lying. If you have to getup at 6am to hit the gym before class, then do it. It will keep you fresh and allow you to focus more when you buckle down to study. Here is another big tip - close AIM, facebook, web browsing, etc. while you're studying. Focus hard on the material; if you're gonna be drifting all around and not focusing then go do something else and come back to your study material. Good luck, everyone, and welcome to medicine. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

And now for the moment you all been waiting for... The chance to live with the one and only plasticman.

We have a 3BR 2 floor duplex with a basement / garage / back patio about 10 min from NYCOM in Glen Cove. We live walking distance to downtown Glen Cove including a $10/month gym, public library, restaurants, MMA place, movie theatre, starbucks, etc. We're about 0.65mi from the LIRR station. Must love dogs! We have a very friendly, quiet, lazy 9 month old puppy who lounges around the house. NVShelat can vouch for the personality of the dog; he loves the pup! Rent for the room will be $550 or $600 depending on which room. (Utilities are not included and are split b/w us.) Shoot me a PM for more info.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but... What do med students usually do during the summer? Get jobs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be getting ahead of myself, but... What do med students usually do during the summer? Get jobs?

I am guessing they do what they always do. Study. I think some do research or you can get a summer job or something like that.

Doing summer research program at NYCOM, which I am liking. We get a cool $1k for it, and I'm learning alot. Also I'm studying - reading Harrison's mostly. One of my friends got a job as a waiter, he makes like $400-500/weekend.

Hey guys, so this is the first time I've applied for financial aid and am a bit comfused about how it all works. I've received my award letter a little while back and I got Stafford loans as well as a NYCOM grant. Do I have to pay the grant back or is it a scholarship? (sorry if that's a stupid question). Also, do i need to sign anything more to accept the loans or is it something that I automatically get? Thanks!

Hey guys, so this is the first time I've applied for financial aid and am a bit comfused about how it all works. I've received my award letter a little while back and I got Stafford loans as well as a NYCOM grant. Do I have to pay the grant back or is it a scholarship? (sorry if that's a stupid question). Also, do i need to sign anything more to accept the loans or is it something that I automatically get? Thanks!
Grants are not repaid. For the stafford loans you will need to complete an entrance exam/master promissary note. Go to www.nslp.org/nycomloans

now that we're on the topic of financial aid, i just learned how to setup my email address. then i went onto that website that is on my nycom bill that i received a bit ago. on there, i could click a link to my fin aid award letter. i clicked on it, and it told me how much i was awarded (which i already knew a while back when i got my letter from sallie mae) then there is the choice to check Y or N to accept it or not. my status online says that I already accepted my loan (i assumed that the default is to accept it b/c i didn't do anything to accept it), but do i also have to hand in this letter? also, i find it odd that they didn't mail it to us, because i just stumbled upon it today.

oh, and i also signed that promissary note a while ago when i filled out my paperwork for nycom fin aid.

any help would be great. thanks!

I also filled out the promissory note while applying for stafford? is there anything else i need to do to accept the loans? i heard that we speak to financial aid during orientation is that true or should i call them myself to set up an appointment?

Hey, We have 1 room open in a 4 bedroom/2.5 bathroom duplex house in Glen Cove. The House is on a quiet private road, right off of Glen Cove road and about an 8 minute commute to the nycom campus. The House is in great condition and we also have a washer/Dryer downstairs. It's located walking distance from downtown glen cove and everything you could need including grocery stores, 2 gyms, a plethora of places to eat, movie theatre,local bars Etc. Is also only a half mile from the Glen Street Train station and close to 2 other LIRR stations.

Rent is $550 a month + utilities and the Lease starts July 1. This room opening won't last long and is really a great find at this price. call 732-778-8034 if you are interested.

HOUSE IN BAYVILLE

My roomates and I have 2 bedrooms available in Bayville. Bayville is 15 min away from NYCOM. This house is 2 away from the beach, 5 bedrooms, 4 full baths, all good size rooms, 2 kitchens & 2 living rooms. This house has an awsome back yard with a grill and bar outside!!!! This house will go fast so call soon if interested.

Rent is $600 month + utilites...total will be about $650 month...

good question ...

I've noticed that as you guys get closer to starting your first year a bunch of the same questions have been asked again regarding schedules and orientation by new people so here are some responses that I wrote in the months past to a few of those questions.

:cool: ORIENTATION :cool:

Last year orientation was one day. We were introduced to the administration and faculty, some older students answered some questions, I think there was a fin aid spiel, we got our IDs, Parking, and mailboxes, and we got that speech you see on tv that goes something like "congratulation on your acceptance into medical school...today is the first day of the next, and arguably most difficult, chapter of your lives, carpe diem, study your asses off but be sure to take time for your personal lives as well." Then there was a big group hug and that was that.

Classes started the next day at 8am and went until 5 o'clock. The Friday of that week there was a 'big brother big sister bbq' where every first year got paired up with a second year and they sat around and showed the newbies the ropes.

:cool: FIRST YEAR COURSES :cool:

This is what we've taken first year, it should be the same for you guys:

Fundamentals of Osteopathic Medicine
-Basically a review of everything you wanted and didn't want to know about undergrad science courses plus
-8/22-10/6

Musculoskeletal System
-10/7 until a few days before Thanksgiving

Neurology and Human Behavior
-Broken up into three sections:
-from after Thanksgiving until a few days after New Years
-New Years until the first week of Feb.
-Feb. until 3/6

Immunology and Hematology
-3/7- 4/30

Integumentary System (skin)
-5/1-5/30

They'll more than likely change the exact dates but that is how we had it so you can get a feel of how it goes. They also changed the order for 2010 from 2009 so they may do that again for 2011.

You will also have anatomy and OMM lab throughout the entire year. The practicals were all on the same day as the written exams, except for in fundamentals where the practical was given a day after the written. You will cover the anatomy of the entire body first year.

:cool: DAILY SCHEDULE :cool:

The fullest it would be for lecture based is Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8-12 and Tuesday, Thursday 8-5.

OMM lab is on a Monday or Wednesday (2 hours) so that day you'll be in school from 8-10 or 10-12 depending what group you're in. Anatomy lab is Monday or Wednesday (3 hours), which ever day you don't have OMM so that day you'll be in school from 9-12. Some weeks you don't have anatomy so then you get a day off. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday is just regular class. Everyday we have lunch from 12-1.

Class from 8-12 or 8-5 is on a fully booked day. Most of the time its really like 9-12 or 8-3 on a long day. It depends on how many lectures they have scheduled. You do not pick your classes or make a schedule, everyone has it the same, except for when you have lab.

That's how it is for us first years this year. I'd imagine it will be identical or very similar next year for you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)

Sitting on the beach, maybe with a COMLEX review book, living off of gradplus. Maybe I'll do some volunteering if I feel adventuresome. :cool:

jasonUD, you're my hero. do you have any info about book buying? that's the one thing i'm feeling kind of clueless about.

Thank you JasonUD, that was SO helpful you have no idea. I don't know why the schedule isn't shown anywhere... anyway, thank you.

jasonUD, you're my hero. do you have any info about book buying? that's the one thing i'm feeling kind of clueless about.

Like everyone says, wait to buy books. Once you get your book list talk to as many people as you can about which books they like. Plasticman posted a list of books that he uses the most a few pages back and its pretty much the same list I would have posted. Once you do decide to buy books buy them online, the bookstore is expensive. Last year I paid $25 for a membership to barnes and nobels and it saves you 25% I think off of every purchase so its definitely worth it. Last year I bought every single book off of the list, spent well over $2,000, and I only use a quarter of them.

Like everyone says, wait to buy books. Once you get your book list talk to as many people as you can about which books they like. Plasticman posted a list of books that he uses the most a few pages back and its pretty much the same list I would have posted. Once you do decide to buy books buy them online, the bookstore is expensive. Last year I paid $25 for a membership to barnes and nobels and it saves you 25% I think off of every purchase so its definitely worth it. Last year I bought every single book off of the list, spent well over $2,000, and I only use a quarter of them.

i found it, thanks! b&n actually gives you only a 10% discount when you buy their membership (maybe it's 25% the first time you use it?). but borders has an educators discount for 15%, and since my mom is a principal, i'm taking advantage! does anyone know if borders sells texts by any chance?

i found it, thanks! b&n actually gives you only a 10% discount when you buy their membership (maybe it's 25% the first time you use it?). but borders has an educators discount for 15%, and since my mom is a principal, i'm taking advantage! does anyone know if borders sells texts by any chance?

I am buying from amazon:) u can find a good deal.

I keep checking the website for updates and deadlines, but it doesn't list anything (except tuition due on August 2nd). I know that I got that immunization form in the mail and it's due July 1st or something, but has there been anything else?

I am worried I am missing something.

I keep checking the website for updates and deadlines, but it doesn't list anything (except tuition due on August 2nd). I know that I got that immunization form in the mail and it's due July 1st or something, but has there been anything else?

I am worried I am missing something.

There were some paper work for perkin loans. It came with the award letter. I guess you've already done that.
Also, first time borrowers need to do "promissionary note" for stanford loans on the website.
http://apps.nslp.org/easiapp/school/00278202/
Yeah, that's about it.

Does anyone have a number that I can call to do inquiry about waving their insurance (if I have my parents' insurance)? Has anyone done it? I called finantial aid and they transferred me to student life, but no one picked up the phone. I wonder what we have to do for cancelling the insurance.

There were some paper work for perkin loans. It came with the award letter. I guess you've already done that.
Also, first time borrowers need to do "promissionary note" for stanford loans on the website.
http://apps.nslp.org/easiapp/school/00278202/
Yeah, that's about it.

Does anyone have a number that I can call to do inquiry about waving their insurance (if I have my parents' insurance)? Has anyone done it? I called finantial aid and they transferred me to student life, but no one picked up the phone. I wonder what we have to do for cancelling the insurance.

ask to speak to claire jacobi. If she is not in talk to Tom in financial aid. If you can't reach either of them then I suggest you leave a message for claire jacobi on her voice mail. return phone calls from my voice mails (left for claire jacobi) is how everything was handled for me last summer.

ask to speak to claire jacobi. If she is not in talk to Tom in financial aid. If you can't reach either of them then I suggest you leave a message for claire jacobi on her voice mail. return phone calls from my voice mails (left for claire jacobi) is how everything was handled for me last summer.

Hmmm....I actually thought that it was Dominic Gagnon who took care of insurance. I don't have a number to contact him, try looking for it on the NYIT site if Claire and Tom aren't the right people.

thanks, hunter and jason. I will try to contact again tomorrow.

Regarding the health insurance waiver: I contacted the financial aid office last week. They told me that if we would like to waive NYCOM's health coverage, there would be a booth at orientation where we would be able to fill out the appropriate paperwork. Apparently they are not accepting waiver forms right now, so I guess we have to wait until then.

Do u guys know if NYCOM sends confirmation letter after receiving immunization form?

Do u guys know if NYCOM sends confirmation letter after receiving immunization form?

I don't remember if we got a letter last year or not but I doubt it. Call them after you send everything in to see if you're up to date.

Regarding the health insurance waiver: I contacted the financial aid office last week. They told me that if we would like to waive NYCOM's health coverage, there would be a booth at orientation where we would be able to fill out the appropriate paperwork. Apparently they are not accepting waiver forms right now, so I guess we have to wait until then.

But the bill (including 50% insurance fee) is due in August 1st. So, we're better off taking care of it now.

As for the immunization, I didn't get any confirmation letter.

I have a question. Does anyone know how the interest for unsub. stafford loan works? I am thinking whether I should pay interest now or let it accumulate later.

Assuming that I will pay the interest now, is the following calculation correct?
If I take 30,000 loan, the interest will be $2040. (with 6.8%)
Then, on my second year, it becomes $4080.
Third year = $6120.
Fourth year = $8160
and no additional loan is required to take out for residency years?

If you are getting loans then ignore the due date on the bills. As you mentioned taking care of any of the items before school starts such as insurance, immunization, etc is best. If the office says to wait until orientation then do so.

correct. Only loans you would want to take is loans for car, house, etc. after graduation. It is possible to defer loans in residency.

I called to confirm my immunization was received and called to confirm my transcripts were received. Generally I called to confirm everything.

I'm sure you are aware the interest is compounding. It's not exactly 2040 + 2040 + 2040 + 2040. Its 2040 + (2040 + (2040 * 6.8%)) + (2040 + (2040 * 6.8%) + ((2040*.0068)*.0068))... This is assuming no increase in tuition but I expect tuition to increase about 5%/year.

But the bill (including 50% insurance fee) is due in August 1st. So, we're better off taking care of it now.

I have a question. Does anyone know how the interest for unsub. stafford loan works? I am thinking whether I should pay interest now or let it accumulate later.

Assuming that I will pay the interest now, is the following calculation correct?
Third year = $6120.
Fourth year = $8160

On my bill the loans I've been awarded are under the subheading of "Potential Financial Aid" although I called Sallie Mae and they said my file was perfectly fine and promissory note was all done. Is everyone else's financial aid labeled the same on their bills? A hint on the insurance waiver...it was posted earlier in this thread how it's best to take care of it before orientation because otherwise the lines get ridiculous. I'm sure if you send the form to registrar or even admissions they will direct it to the correct place and you will have that much less to worry about on the first day. To the class of 2010 or whomever else is wiser on the ins and outs of this process, is there anything we need for orientation day? I know we'll be getting ID cards, parking stickers etc....anything we need to have with us? Also, if anyone still needs it, Dominic Gagnon's # is 516-686-3984.

Hey guys. I think I'm being a bit slow, but I can't for the life of me, find the address to send the transcripts to. If anyone has it, and would be so kind as to share with me, I'd be very grateful.

Also, would anyone know if they would require me ot send in my foreign transcript as well? I have 5 credits from the University of Paris, and I sent in a copy to be evaluated for American equivalency for the AACOMAS, but would I have to send a copy to NYCOM as well?

You can send your transcripts to:

Admissions Office
NYCOM of NYIT
Northern Blvd.
P.O. Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568

I think every transcript that was sent to AACOMAS needs to be sent to NYCOM as well but u can always call admissions (516 686 3747) and double check.

On my bill the loans I've been awarded are under the subheading of "Potential Financial Aid" although I called Sallie Mae and they said my file was perfectly fine and promissory note was all done. Is everyone else's financial aid labeled the same on their bills? A hint on the insurance waiver...it was posted earlier in this thread how it's best to take care of it before orientation because otherwise the lines get ridiculous. I'm sure if you send the form to registrar or even admissions they will direct it to the correct place and you will have that much less to worry about on the first day. To the class of 2010 or whomever else is wiser on the ins and outs of this process, is there anything we need for orientation day? I know we'll be getting ID cards, parking stickers etc....anything we need to have with us? Also, if anyone still needs it, Dominic Gagnon's # is 516-686-3984.

My fin aid also labeled as potential....I called T.H.E and they told me my file is complete they just waiting for the school...

You can send your transcripts to:

Admissions Office
NYCOM of NYIT
Northern Blvd.
P.O. Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568

I think every transcript that was sent to AACOMAS needs to be sent to NYCOM as well but u can always call admissions (516 686 3747) and double check.

I sent them directly to admissions, i think it is serota academic center room 203, i dont have the address with me...

HOUSE IN BAYVILLE

My roomates and I have 1 bedrooms available in Bayville. One first year already took the other bedroom. Again, Bayville is 15 min away from NYCOM. This house is 2 away from the beach, 5 bedrooms, 4 full baths, all good size rooms, 2 kitchens & 2 living rooms. This house has an awsome back yard with a huge grill and a wet bar outside!!!! I just found out the the owner is doing an addition to the downstairs kitchen which will include a big dinning room table.

Rent is $600 month + utilites...total will be about $650 month...

Hey guys i Know I saw it somewhere in all the papers we got but when do we start?? Thanks in advance

so which address do we send our transcripts to? I just requested one to go to the P.O. Box 8000, but then i saw the post for it to go to the sertota building.

Hey guys i Know I saw it somewhere in all the papers we got but when do we start?? Thanks in advance

8:00 A.M. on August 20th. Be there or you are dropping your acceptance. (It is a spin off of be there or be square)

so which address do we send our transcripts to? I just requested one to go to the P.O. Box 8000, but then i saw the post for it to go to the sertota building.

I think both are good, both go to admissions.

I was told that our NYCOM e-mail accounts will not be active until august.

I was told that our NYCOM e-mail accounts will not be active until august.

I don't think that's true, just because mine works. I've emailed people from there and gotten emails there.

Third year = $6120.
Fourth year = $8160

I know someone already responded to this, but no, that is not how loans work at all. Plan on paying A LOT more than what you take out. You take out a $30k, you'll be paying back at least $40k on just that alone. Also, you DO NOT PAY YOUR BILL. I know this has been posted like 85 million times, but DON'T PAY YOUR BILL. They put due dates on them, they don't matter. I'm going to be a 2nd year. In the last year, i've recieved on the upside of 25 bills. More than 5 already for the fall. If you have loans, then it'll be taken care of.

Seriously, you all need to relax, stop worrying about all this stupid paperwork, and enjoy your summer. Go out, have a few drinks, and RELAX. If you can get stuff done ahead of time, great, if not, don't worry about it. At orientation they'll make sure you have everything you need. Also, if they send out a notice that you can get your id taken the friday before school starts... GO. you will be happy you did. Other than that, seriously, have some fun, because once school starts, you'll wish you had.

What if your loans don't cover the whole tuition? I am paying part of it out of pocket, so is that due by August 1?

BTW, does anyone know anything about a booklist? I have a few friends at other schools that offered to sell me their books cheap if we need the same ones, but I don't know which ones NYCOM requires.

What if your loans don't cover the whole tuition? I am paying part of it out of pocket, so is that due by August 1?

BTW, does anyone know anything about a booklist? I have a few friends at other schools that offered to sell me their books cheap if we need the same ones, but I don't know which ones NYCOM requires.

you could search this thread for the many posts on books. You should hold off until the first week of school when you can talk to your "Big Bro/Big Sis". don't go buying everything on the list NYCOM gives you and be careful from buying a lot of books from one student.

When is money due according to my bill:
before school starts:
50% tuition
100% fees
100% dental insurance if applicable
50% of medical insurance if applicable

December 1st:
remainder of tuition and medical

you should call the office to confirm. I think there may be a seperate policy for cash beacause they don't want you stressed out about money during school. :rolleyes:

what is everyone tlaking about transcripts being sent to nycom? do we have to send them other than what they got from the aacomas apps?

also, i dont think i will have my immunization record in by the 1st, how big of a problem is that? ive been away on vacay and just got back...

finaly, insurance, when do u think we can get our status as full time students from nycom...i need to give it into my dads insurance so that i can become insured again?

is there anything else that nycom needs to have from us before the orientation??

you could search this thread for the many posts on books. You should hold off until the first week of school when you can talk to your "Big Bro/Big Sis". don't go buying everything on the list NYCOM gives you and be careful from buying a lot of books from one student.

When is money due according to my bill:
before school starts:
50% tuition
100% fees
100% dental insurance if applicable
50% of medical insurance if applicable

December 1st:
remainder of tuition and medical

you should call the office to confirm. I think there may be a seperate policy for cash beacause they don't want you stressed out about money during school. :rolleyes:

How much was medical and dental insurance a year if you are on the schools plan? I want to compare to my current plan to see if it is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.