NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody go for their ID cards yet?

The booklist looks really overwhelming, better enjoy the remaining 2 weeks!

Members don't see this ad.

heyy does anyone know if we need to bring our laptops to campus to be configured or have anything installed, etc. before classes begin?
Also, is anyone planning on bringing laptop to class to take notes?

thanks! see you sooo soon :eek:

Did anybody go for their ID cards yet?

The booklist looks really overwhelming, better enjoy the remaining 2 weeks!

no, but i'm considering going before orientation b/c as an 2nd year posted above, we'll have a 5+ hour line to battle if we wait until then...

Members don't see this ad :)
heyy does anyone know if we need to bring our laptops to campus to be configured or have anything installed, etc. before classes begin?
Also, is anyone planning on bringing laptop to class to take notes?

thanks! see you sooo soon :eek:

No, there is nothing that needs to be configured.

I'm gonna bring my laptop to class. Not the first day though!

haha I have a bad feeling someone is going to be all dressed up for orientation & bring their laptop to take notes for the first day :laugh:

I'm just going to bring a folder, pen, and maybe a notebook for the first day.

mmm. With all this talk of clothing and the first day...I should just come in naked that day :D

Do we know for certain that getting the ID's early is an option?

On 7/21 Linda Darroch-Short posted "Also starting August 4th you can go over to security to get your I.D. card they are open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm everyday." on NYCOM 2012 WebBoard, under Orientation.

so yea, we can get them starting yesterday.

lol i wont be in glen cove until the 16th sooo ill be waiting in line :cool:

On 7/21 Linda Darroch-Short posted "Also starting August 4th you can go over to security to get your I.D. card they are open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm everyday." on NYCOM 2012 WebBoard, under Orientation.

so yea, we can get them starting yesterday.

went to the security office and got mine today. have fun kids!

nikola what building did you do this in?

nikola what building did you do this in?

If you're coming from Glen Cove Road, go in the 1st NYIT entrance and pull into that 1st parking lot. There is a little building in the back of that lot (unless it has been moved since may)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're coming from Glen Cove Road, go in the 1st NYIT entrance and pull into that 1st parking lot. There is a little building in the back of that lot (unless it has been moved since may)

thats the one... you pull into that first parking lot, and there's a small road through some trees that opens to another parking lot and you'll see the Security office there. It's called the Simonson house, building A1 on the campus map. You can also get your parking permit there.

Is there a fee for the parking permit/ID card? Thanks.

Do we get Id and permit in the same place?

the answers to the two questions above are no and yes, respectively. i got mine today and i highly recommend beating the lines that are surely going to be there during orientation. the security guard told me that he doesn't understand why more people don't get their ID/permits earlier because it will be a 3 hour wait during orientation. It took me all of 5 minutes today.

Got my ID card, it took 5 minutes. But it took me a while to find the building. It was quite embarrassing, I was a chicken with no head. My sense of direction isn't what it use to be. Oh there is no fee for the ID card. Not sure about p. permit but I highly doubt it.

Anyway has anyone seen The Dark Knight yet?

Last edited:
went to the security office and got mine today. have fun kids!

about how long did that take you? did you get both things.. ID and parking stuff?? thanks :D

*****EDIT: heh, totally didnt scroll down further to see that other ppl already answered that! SORRY!

I haven't either, waiting for my lazy friends so we can see it on IMAX

Great, I am going to get my ID and parking permit this Friday. THanks for the info. :D

hmmm i wonder if we can get it on saturday... it looks like it's open :D

I'm going to go first thing in the AM tomorrow. After waiting for 45 minutes when I was in med prep (which only had 26 students) I can only imagine what it will be like with 300...

dont you already have one if you were in med prep or did they issue you a temporary one?

They gave us temp ID's. They said NYCOM class of _____, lol. There was no year.

youll feel really good getting your ID then, which will actually have 2012 on it.

cool! i am going to go tomorrow to get that ID. :D:thumbup:

Not looking forward to waiting in the line on Orientation day :thumbdown:D

I guess the better question would be who has seen Dark Knight more than once?

Also what is med prep?

I saw the Dark Knight twice and it was just as awesome the second time.

Med prep is a program at NYCOM for students who basically need to prove themselves. It gives applicants who weren't accepted outright a chance to experience medical school firsthand. If you are successful you are accepted. The group was small and very diverse and consisted of applicants who were either underrepresented or underpriveleged in some way.

It was a month long and we studied cardiopulm (anatomy, phys, biochem, pharm, path), OMM and we were exposed to the DPC and the ICC. It was an excellent program and I had a blast. I'm glad that I was given the opportunity.

about how long did that take you? did you get both things.. ID and parking stuff?? thanks :D

*****EDIT: heh, totally didnt scroll down further to see that other ppl already answered that! SORRY!

no worries, but to assuage everyone else, it took all of 5 minutes and i payed zero (0) dollars for both my I.D. and parking permit.

must the car be there with you to get the parking permit?

must the car be there with you to get the parking permit?

i think you probably just need your registration or even just know your license plate number/make/model/color.

are you walking there or something? ;)

i think you probably just need your registration or even just know your license plate number/make/model/color.

are you walking there or something? ;)

the car doesn't need to be there, but you do need the registration (have it in hand to show the officer), as well as knowing the license plate, make, model, year, color.

you can also register more than one vehicle if you wish.

I just came back from the school and got my id,permit. It took me 2 min and 35 secs (yeah, I have a casio). :D funny thing though, it took me 45 mins to get there...

Anyone know how soon we'll need our textbooks. I don't have the cash to cover all of them and according to the estimates I got on amazon.com, they exceed my credit card limit. would it be a problem to wait to get the first refund check (when exactly do we get that... 2 weeks is it?) or do i have to have my parents spot me (once again) until NYCOM refunds are in? Also, can anyone shed some light on which books are essential and which are a waste of money? thanks so much

Anyone know how soon we'll need our textbooks. I don't have the cash to cover all of them and according to the estimates I got on amazon.com, they exceed my credit card limit. would it be a problem to wait to get the first refund check (when exactly do we get that... 2 weeks is it?) or do i have to have my parents spot me (once again) until NYCOM refunds are in? Also, can anyone shed some light on which books are essential and which are a waste of money? thanks so much

Don't buy any books yet. You'll meet up with a second year during the first week or so and they will tell you what you need.

Last year I used Grants Dissector, an atlas (I like Rohen), Netters flashcards, Lippincotts Biochem, Robbins... I have the pharm book but barely touch it. That's really about it. A few other books I looked at in the library during the year but I definitely did not need to buy them. Don't waste your money!

dumb question: does it matter what color scrubs we have?

no, not walking...may have to use public transportation to get there though...2 hours :thumbdown:
anyone know if it's possible to get the parking permit and the ID on a sunday :confused:

whoever said they're open "everyday" was obviously MISTAKEN!!!

I just came back from there, empty handed. :mad:
worst experience of my life

you guys were able to get it even on a Saturday??...cuz the guy there told me it's only M-F.

also told me to bring some proof from the bursar of my registration for clasess, despite the fact that I told him I'm a NYCOM student and was told it's possible to get these before orientation. did I just end up with someone who had no clue??

Last edited:

you guys were able to get it even on a Saturday??...cuz the guy there told me it's only M-F.

also told me to bring some proof from the bursar of my registration for clasess, despite the fact that I told him I'm a NYCOM student and was told it's possible to get these before orientation. did I just end up with someone who had no clue??
Oh no, that's too bad... considering it looks like you spent 2 hours getting there and back... The only good thing I can offer is that you stopped me from going in today to get the ID, so thanks for that.
Someone on here said that one of the administrators mentioned that we could get it any day. I don't remember that, but I see that the handbook on the webboard says:
ID Cards can be obtained at the Security office Monday – Friday from 9 am– 8 pm.
Then again, it doesn't say anything about having to provide proof of admission. You would think they would have that on an NYIT computer by now.

I think its only open M-F
and you do not need proof of registration. They guy at the office asked if I was a NYCOM student, then checked my name on a list he had. So good luck to you guys in getting it. And if you want to get a parking permit for a car make sure you have your registration and the form filled out (form can be found on page 11 of handbook).

so scary to have such correct intuition sometimes.

anyhow, guess I'll wait till orientation.

Anyone know anything about using a mac laptop. I know windows is required but has anyone asked if mac browsers (safari) will work?

Thanks,

see you in a week

Anyone know anything about using a mac laptop. I know windows is required but has anyone asked if mac browsers (safari) will work?

Thanks,

see you in a week

I highly recommend that you download Mozilla Firefox for Macs

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

I usually have problems with Safari (windows version) especially when handling windows software (like media player). I'm sure NYCOM will use a lot of stuff that "requires" windows.

If you don't like using IE for macs, your best bet is firefox.

haha that might have been my fault

hmmm i wonder if we can get it on saturday... it looks like it's open :D

well I did see this

http://www.nyit.edu/ask/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=103

but then I saw this a couple of days later and i was like oh that previous page was something different

http://www.nyit.edu/about_nyit/security/identification_cards/

...though I never said for sure it was open on Saturday to get your stuff. Sorry if I was the reason that made you go over and come out empty handed. Please forgive me :)