NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah it's mandatory

Members don't see this ad.

yeah it's mandatory

Where'd you see this? Because the e-mail they sent us says "attendance strongly encouraged" not required.

It's also not on the orientation schedule listed as a part of the mandatory programming.

screw that, im not going to the thing tommo, im getting some sleep!

Members don't see this ad :)
how do we even make that if we have anatomy/omm labs during that time? i dont get the way they scheduled it

how do we even make that if we have anatomy/omm labs during that time? i dont get the way they scheduled it

we are group B. Our financial stuff will be next Tuesday.

The financial lady said it was mandatory during her little lecture. I'm sure it's not going to kill you if you don't attend.

Holy Crap! Did you guys read the e-mail they sent us about the increased number of applicants? There's a 26% increase in the number of applications for Fall 2009 year compared with the number of applications for our cycle. 26% increase in just one year! That's NUTS. And they've only counted the applications up until August 1st. I hadn't even taken my MCAT during that time last year.

Man, I'm glad I'm not one of those people who decided to wait a year.

Competition is definitely high.

Holy Crap! Did you guys read the e-mail they sent us about the increased number of applicants? There's a 26% increase in the number of applications for Fall 2009 year compared with the number of applications for our cycle. 26% increase in just one year! That's NUTS. And they've only counted the applications up until August 1st. I hadn't even taken my MCAT during that time last year.

Man, I'm glad I'm not one of those people who decided to wait a year.

Competition is definitely high.

I was really surprised that the waitlist didn't move a lot for you year as well! Competition is definately at or nearing an all time high :scared:

Hi all,

I was just wondering what everyone was doing to prep themselves for the pending quiz we have on Monday. I was wondering if anyone knows if we are responsible for the anatomy lecture material that the sick prof was supposed to give us? We have the slides for that stuff but we were not actually lectured on it so I am unsure if I should be studying that stuff? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Also, I think I heard somewhere that it is strictly multi guess format? Is that true?

They sent us emails about the quiz late this afternoon. It's 19 MP questions. There's also room assignments based on last name (make sure you check). I think it was A-L in the William of NYCOM III and M-Z in the Riland.

As far as prepping for the quiz goes, the first lecture Dr. Hill missed IS on the quiz and the second one (PNS I) ISN'T. I'm making a comprehensive review sheet that I'm going to then catalogue for all of the exams. I would definatley advise you to overprepare for the quiz. Not so much that you go over the boundaries of what we were taught, but make sure you are comprehensive. You will feel a lot better afterwards and you will be more prepared the next time you are faced with the material. That's just my method, but I will say that I was in med prep and it worked. And there is A LOT more just in this first week as compared to a week in med prep, but, the same principles apply. Good luck!

damn, 26% increase...that's crazy. After talking to some 2nd years, they all said don't stress out about the quiz's. Just know the lecture material and the hand outs and we should all be fine.

Not sure if you guys know this yet, but you can subscribe to the 2011 intro system on Noodle and take a look at our old quizzes/exam. It'll give you some idea about the questions that you'll be asked. Good luck on monday!

Not sure if you guys know this yet, but you can subscribe to the 2011 intro system on Noodle and take a look at our old quizzes/exam. It'll give you some idea about the questions that you'll be asked. Good luck on monday!

Nice, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Metal and JP for that useful info!! :)

Quizzes barely count. DOn't go crazy with studying for them. The 3 main tests count alot more towards your grade.

U guys think we're gonna be quizzed on global health? I wasn't even sure it was a lecture, it seemed like a presentation.

U guys think we're gonna be quizzed on global health? I wasn't even sure it was a lecture, it seemed like a presentation.

Pretty sure. It doesn't seem too difficult to go over, so I would recommend flipping through them and refreshing your mind. I think they'll be really straight forward questions.

There are 2 more global health lectures coming so I assume it will be included on the quiz... though i'm not sure how. It was a lot of random statistics and facts. I think the main point of these lectures are to publicize the study abroad program, so I doubt there will be very many quiz questions about it. I'm focusing more on the actual content -- DNA, proteins and such.

So...anyone else having problems accessing the movies of past lectures on Noodle? I click on them and it brings up my media play as though it is about to play the file, but then asks for a user name and password. Fine, so I put in my Noodle credentials, but it doesn't accept them; I tried my email credentials as well, still no dice... any suggestions?

So...anyone else having problems accessing the movies of past lectures on Noodle? I click on them and it brings up my media play as though it is about to play the file, but then asks for a user name and password. Fine, so I put in my Noodle credentials, but it doesn't accept them; I tried my email credentials as well, still no dice... any suggestions?

I just tried opening the Medical Terminology lecture video and it opened up fine for me. The noodle username and ID # as your password is what you should be using. If you've never been able play any videos, it might have something to do with your windows media player.

Thanks! I was just dumb and didn't read the IT handout I was trying to use my noodle user name/pw and my email user name/pw. Works great now :)

anyone knows the return policy of the bookstore? I think i may have bought too many useless books...

anyone knows the return policy of the bookstore? I think i may have bought too many useless books...

Yeah, I asked them. They'll take them until 9/10, I'm pretty sure. And they'll even take them if you've taken off the plastic wrap, if there was any. Just make sure you haven't scratched off any codes or opened up any CDs.

Hey guys, I noticed that if you play Stepp's lecture at like X2 or X3 speed, it actually sounds like a person talking at normal speed...!

Hey guys, I noticed that if you play Stepp's lecture at like X2 or X3 speed, it actually sounds like a person talking at normal speed...!

LOL. anyone else notice his monotone voice has some sort of melody too?

why are you even bothering restreaming him? insomnia? seems like his handout should be more than enough to study from.

why are you even bothering restreaming him? insomnia? seems like his handout should be more than enough to study from.

Yes it absolutely is. Dixon and Stepp are 2 that never need to be streamed. Waste of time (even if you miss the lecture).

Can any of you upperclassmen out there divulge what convocation is all about?

yeah I was wondering that too. Is convocation something we should invite the parents to? because they gave us all of about 12 hours notice regarding inviting our families to Friday's BBQ. I don't know about you guys but my parents work and need some advanced notice.

Yep i also just got some convocation invite in the mail.

Your parents don't need to go to convocation. It's a 3-4 hr event where they honor some professors and have a keynote speaker. Afterwards the entire class of 2012 and all of the students in the PA/PT/RN/etc programs get to introduce themselves by saying their name into the microphone. It's no where near the importance of something like a white coat ceremony.

do we have to go?

yes, you do, unfortunately. last year they made us arrive super early and we sat around forever. bring your anatomy flash cards, it'll be a long and boring evening.

If you have already made some friends, than you do not have to go "wink-wink"

go to the peddler before and have some refreshments... itll make the day go a lot faster... and then head back out somewhere after itll be a good night

hey, is anyone still looking for housing or know of any available? thanks!

Do we need:
Essential Cell Bio.
Medical Micro.
T&T Genetics in Medicine
An Ostepathic Approach to Diag. and Treat.
Theime's Atlas of Anatomy
Clinically Oriented Embry.
Bates
Epidemiology

AND

If I don't have these books, how would this affect me when it comes to the assigned readings?

Listen, I am a NYCOM 2009'er. Save yourself money, buy no books. Go read them in the library.

Maybe a good physio book like Guyton. Harrison's is too much info, but you can read that in library too.

Seriously, you will waste a lot of money and realize you have no time to read most books consistently enough to justify cost

Does anyone know if we have to wear our white coats to our first DPR this Tuesday after the exam? If so, what do we wear under the coat? The handbook says DPR dress code = OMM attire + white coat, but I'm not sure if gym shorts, sneakers, a plain t-shirt with a white coat on top is the proper attire for patient interviews...

Any 2nd years elaborate?

Eudjinn, I think we only have to wear our coats when we are in DPR lab (the ICC). Tuesday is only DPR lecture. I don't think we will be interving anyone on Tuesday.

We were told to always have our white coats with us to DPR along with all of our equipment so we could switch between the roles of Dr and pt. You can wear OMM attire to DPR. I just wore scrubs with shorts underneath in case I had to remove the scrub pants for any physical exams.

If you guys have a DPR lecture, you'll probably just be in riland and I don't think you'll need to wear/bring anything.

ICC is different from DPR and white coats are mandatory. However, they have spare whitecoats in the ICC labs.

Honestly, we never had to use our white coats in DPR. However, we were told in our 2nd yr intro to DPR that they want to enforce the DPR rules a bit more strictly this year.

So in short, it's probably best to bring all your stuff with you in case you need it :)

Can someone explain PINS to be from the osteopathic techniques lecture in kind of an intuitive way?

Thanks.

tbh he totally didn't mention anything about PINS and said that it's too difficult to explain in the 10 minutes he had left so he'd have to be a huge a-hole to test on it... I have not covered it.

I hope not Eudjinn. But on a better note, when I posted that I thought I would definitely have to read the textbook to understand his PINS slides. But after reading the slides I actually kinda get it now. :p

I don't know if you guys have looked at the test from last year, but its not hard at all. It honestly just looks like a long quiz.

man this thread has been dead. hope things are going well for all of ya :)

Hi guys,

We're in the midst of our radiology lecture and I wanted to try to revive this thread. I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about fellowships through the global health center? I'm really interested in epidemiology and I know we had a lecture by one of their fellows, I wanted to know if anyone knew any details about that?

Thanks!

Just go see Dr. Gottfried or Hope. They apparently have a list of opportunities you can take part in during the summer or in your clinical years.

"fellowships through the global health center"
well I didn't understand any of that but I do know a PA in rural Haiti that collects the epidemiology business, but more importantly will let you perform procedures and such. Shes always looking for interns....

I'm really ticked off that they MAKING us go to this convocation thing. I mean, its not like we have a quiz on Monday Or that the group A people have to dissect on Tuesday and we got an Anatomy Practical and an Exam next Monday. No, no, we have to sit around for 4 hours and say our name from a microphone :rolleyes:. Good job NYCOM admin...Seriously, why couldn't they have this thing before classes started??