NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone bought a stethoscope, scrubs, sphygmomanometer, or ophthalmoscope? How much did they cost?

Members don't see this ad.

i have a few stethoscopes, since i'm a medic, I wouldn't recommend going out and buying something super expensive. you'll end up losing it one of these days. $100 scope and a $300 scope will sound similar for the time being. BP cuff is like 10 bucks. Scrubs are $15. Haven't bought an ohpthalmoscope yet.

it's the webboard's fault. no biggie.
I was actually able to get it today and it was rather quick. On my way back, the cute security guard called back and apologized for "maybe" giving me a wrong ID, so he reprinted it lol. so everything worked out.

as to getting an ophthalmoscope and what price it is, I have no clue...it's pretty expensive and I'm sure we won't need to use it right away..?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's the webboard's fault. no biggie.
I was actually able to get it today and it was rather quick. On my way back, the cute security guard called back and apologized for "maybe" giving me a wrong ID, so he reprinted it lol. so everything worked out.

as to getting an ophthalmoscope and what price it is, I have no clue...it's pretty expensive and I'm sure we won't need to use it right away..?

ahhh ok. i'm glad things worked out

yojimbo888 said:
has anyone bought a stethoscope, scrubs, sphygmomanometer, or ophthalmoscope? How much did they cost?

This is what I got:

Ophthalmoscope/otoscope: http://www.amazon.com/ADC-Pocket-Ot...TF8&coliid=I1TM13TCNW7RJM&colid=171KK7A36Z2EB

Sphygmomanometer: http://www.amazon.com/ADC-Diagnosti...TF8&coliid=I2DAGXZ0ZE4CBS&colid=171KK7A36Z2EB

Stethoscope: http://www.amazon.com/Littmann-2144...TF8&coliid=I26LCWJ7Z2YC32&colid=171KK7A36Z2EB

Relatively inexpensive and they seem pretty good. They were recommendations from a friend.

I didn't know this, but apparently chiropractors have to learn (or used to have to learn) pretty much the same things med students learn in the first year. I work for a DO but we also have chiropractic, acupuncture and PT in our office. The chiro I work with is selling me all of his old equipment including an oto/opthamascope, stethoscope and BP cuff. It's quality stuff in good condition. I would look on ebay or amazon like the previous poster. Eventually I'm going to want to get the top of the line stuff, but to spend $800.00 for a new welch allyn oto/opthamascope when I can get a nice older version of the same thing seems silly.

i got the adoscope stethoscope from a family friend of mine whose a doctor, he said its not the best but will last me throughout medical school. I think I look it up at one point and it was arond 50 bucks. Also for scrubs I had a really hard time finding ones that fit me so I bought like three of them online at www.lydiasuniforms.com. Sorta pricey but I did get really nice ones that are so SOFT and don't feel like paper! If you are tall or petite I would suggest trying them on first at a uniform store such as lifeuniforms to see how they fit.

I didn't know this, but apparently chiropractors have to learn (or used to have to learn) pretty much the same things med students learn in the first year. I work for a DO but we also have chiropractic, acupuncture and PT in our office. The chiro I work with is selling me all of his old equipment including an oto/opthamascope, stethoscope and BP cuff. It's quality stuff in good condition. I would look on ebay or amazon like the previous poster. Eventually I'm going to want to get the top of the line stuff, but to spend $800.00 for a new welch allyn oto/opthamascope when I can get a nice older version of the same thing seems silly.

ahh those things can get so expensive! I guess it would be nice to have a pricey one but so far I obviously can't tell what the difference between a "good" or "bad" one is. We'll just wait and see!

raisa024 said:
i got the adoscope stethoscope from a family friend of mine whose a doctor, he said its not the best but will last me throughout medical school. I think I look it up at one point and it was arond 50 bucks. Also for scrubs I had a really hard time finding ones that fit me so I bought like three of them online at www.lydiasuniforms.com. Sorta pricey but I did get really nice ones that are so SOFT and don't feel like paper! If you are tall or petite I would suggest trying them on first at a uniform store such as lifeuniforms to see how they fit.

oooo that's a useful website for scrubs. thanks!

lol! they have a katherine heigl collection

Last edited:
What's the best cell phone carrier for nycom AND Glen Cove? I went to my room in Glen Cove today and my tmobile phone had no signal. Since my contract expired, I'm thinking of switching to a carrier with good signal in those areas. Thanks for the help.

What's the best cell phone carrier for nycom AND Glen Cove? I went to my room in Glen Cove today and my tmobile phone had no signal. Since my contract expired, I'm thinking of switching to a carrier with good signal in those areas. Thanks for the help.

hi, to answer your question, I've lived on LI my whole life (15 minutes from the school coincidentally...) AT&T has always worked for me...I know some people also like verizon. Either is a good choice.

Also, I have a question---Do we really need scrubs right now? I feel like I missed something in an email/letter...please fill me in.:)

hi, to answer your question, I've lived on LI my whole life (15 minutes from the school coincidentally...) AT&T has always worked for me...I know some people also like verizon. Either is a good choice.

Also, I have a question---Do we really need scrubs right now? I feel like I missed something in an email/letter...please fill me in.:)

i think there might be something about it in the handbook along with the required attire for omm lab. I talked to a couple of other students and they said they each own a couple of scrubs and to get a cheap pair for anatomy lab bc the smell won't come out so you will want to throw them out by the end of the year.

Congratualations to my fellow NYCOMers! I'm from the class of 2009. The first thing you got to do about NYCOM is completely ignore all the recommendations and required items they tell you to get.

First speak to a student a year ahead of you to find out what you really need. You didn't need a laptop when I was there especially a new one. The one I had was an ancient Pentium 2 laptop and it worked fine when I brought it to class to surf the web and look at lecture powerpoints. Also don't get most of there required books as you will never read most of them. Speak to someone a year ahead of you to find out what are the books they actually used.

If I was you I'd just get a Netters anatomy atlas, a second anatomy atlas with pictures of real bodies (I forget the name), Savaresse's OMT review book, a Harrison's principles of Internal Medicine, a dissector that they recommend and wait until you start classes to get anything else. First Aid for USMLE step 1 and Medical Pathophysiology Made Ridiculously Simple are additional items I recommend to help you out. Get a stethoscope which only costs fifty dollars for the littman classic SE II one which is very good and the ottoscope/opthalmoscope set which is very expensive. Plus a blood pressure cuff which is only like $70 for a good one. You don't have to buy these items right away since at they beginning of your first year NYCOM will have sales reps from Welch Allyn come to the campus and sell these items. That is where I bought my stethoscope, ottoscope/opthal etc. As for the laptop, if you have an old one it will work fine. Only thing is you need microsoft windows on it since the lecture videos are encoded in such a way that they need windows media player 9 or later to play (at least when I was there). You could also just use a home computer to see the videos and never get a laptop to begin with. I've seen guys in my class with MACs so perhaps there is a way to use a MAC and see the videos. I don't know. The problem is the videos are encoded in windows media 9, so if there is a mac program that could play streaming windows media 9 then theoretically it might work.

They sell scrubs in the NYIT bookstore I believe. Get some.

Cingulair has good reception at NYCOM. Some other phone companies have no reception in that area.

I'll repeat it again. DO NOT GET THE REQUIRED NYCOM BOOK LIST. You will waste thousands of dollars buying dozens of books you will never read.

Last edited:
Wow jdinovit, that was really helpful. Thanks for that.

Was anyone able to get the insurance stuff done when they went in for their id/permit?

Members don't see this ad :)

i second cingular, no issues around glen cove and the surrounding areas.

Anyone have any opinion on buying international editions? I'm not buying up the entire list, just the ones I know we'll be needing (Netters, Lippincotts, etc). The international editions seem so much cheaper and the descriptions say that the content is exactly the same, but does anyone have any experience with this? Hopefully a 2nd year or someone can answer?

In undergrad I always bought the international editions when i can and it is completely the same everytime besides the cover (soft vs. hard)

Hey guys, I'm a second year student at NYCOM and I got some info from Dr. Gilliar (Head of the OMM Department) that is really important for 1st years. NYCOM's new policy for passing each system is that the student must now pass the 1)written portion, 2) OMM practical and 3) anatomy practical, individually, in order to pass each system.

I write this because in the past, OMM and anatomy practical scores were averaged in order to determine your practical grade. This meant that you could fail one of the two practicals (omm or anatomy) but still pass the system as long as the other practical score balanced it out. Of course, this is what Dr. Gilliar said and it should be conveyed to you guys very clearly next week.

Everyone that gets into NYCOM is very capable of passing both anyways, don't stress out just put in the time.

I have the international edition of Netter's. I checked it with my brother's US edition and it was the same, except the front cover has the words "International Edition." Also it doesn't come with a CD. That might be a deal breaker if you plan on viewing Netter's pics on a computer. Also before ordering, read their shipping times carefully. Even if the seller is based on US, their shipping times tend to be a lot slower than Amazon's or B&N ship time.

(thanks to everyone above on which cell phone carrier to choose :) )

Anyone have any opinion on buying international editions? I'm not buying up the entire list, just the ones I know we'll be needing (Netters, Lippincotts, etc). The international editions seem so much cheaper and the descriptions say that the content is exactly the same, but does anyone have any experience with this? Hopefully a 2nd year or someone can answer?

Don't buy a netters. You get one free when you join soma (which pretty much everyone joins). If you are going to buy an atlas, get rohen's color atlas.

Hey guys, I'm wondering who wants to get together in the city Friday night to party it up a bit?

Free netters when you join SOMA? I don't see it on their website. Any more info?

Free netters when you join SOMA? I don't see it on their website. Any more info?

you get a free netters... don't worry... i mean i think it's a $60 fee to join, which is the only catch lol. It might be just a NYCOM thing too.

Hey all,
Is anyone still looking for a place to live or looking for a roommate?

Your schedule for Introduction to Osteopathic Medicine is up. It's on noodle, you log in with your email name and password.

"Post streamed lectures unless the average lecture attendance falls below (approximately) 66%, at which time streamed lectures will not be posted/will be taken down".

I just got that from one of the pdf's up on noodle. Did they change the rule? I thought they weren't going to put up the videos if the attendance was less than 80%.

i also noticed this and it does seem that they made it 66% instead of 80, which does seem much more reasonable. i plan to come to class and i know there will be others too.

AHHHHHH!!! this is crazyyyy its getting to feel so real
seems intense but doable :)

I know! I looked at it yesturday and I have a headache from it still to this morning!! Do we need to print the lectures or that'll be given to us?

I'm starting to worry about getting books since it's making up a bulk of our grade...which books will we need for sure?, because the list they have up on the first lecture is small compared to what they gave us...:confused:
and would older versions be fine?

AHHHHHH!!! this is crazyyyy its getting to feel so real
seems intense but doable :)

we'll be fine, i promise :)

for scrubs, there's a place called life uniforms on old country road (across from best buy) that offers a 20% discount to NYCOM students for scrubs, and they have a good variety of sizes and styles.

we'll be fine, i promise :)

for scrubs, there's a place called life uniforms on old country road (across from best buy) that offers a 20% discount to NYCOM students for scrubs, and they have a good variety of sizes and styles.

Don't waste money on scrubs. Unless you are a weird size (like super tall or super short) just go to Walmart. Seriously.

my roommates and I went to walmart in Bethpage yesterday, and sadly they only had scrubs in huge sizes. i'm talking triple XL. Just thought I'd post to save some people a trip until they restock next week.

Don't have to be in school till 10:00AM tomorrow right?

calendar says we have orientation from 8-10, then some stuff from 10-12, lunch from 12-1, then lecture 1-5

ok who can tell me what the OMM lab rotations mean? they put our last names in a box labeled N or T or A or something like that (it's up on noodle)

ok who can tell me what the OMM lab rotations mean? they put our last names in a box labeled N or T or A or something like that (it's up on noodle)

It's what group you're in. It spells out STANLEY. When you get to lab, there will be a list at the front table by the door that tells you exactly what table to sit at. The groups stay the same for each system, but the table changes each week.

thanks, another question if i may: i can't seem to stream any videos (from 2011 for example). it prompts me for my username/pw and i put in the same ones i use for noodle/nyitconnect and they don't seem to do anything. am i missing a step? they went through some weird way to set up NYITConnect at orientation today, which I didn't really understand because I don't think I set mine up that way...

thanks, another question if i may: i can't seem to stream any videos (from 2011 for example). it prompts me for my username/pw and i put in the same ones i use for noodle/nyitconnect and they don't seem to do anything. am i missing a step? they went through some weird way to set up NYITConnect at orientation today, which I didn't really understand because I don't think I set mine up that way...

pm'd

figured out the stream issue. username is same as your NYITConnect one. PW is your student id.

welcome to nycom, kids! i'm a 5th year fellow, trying to unload some books.. so if you're looking for anything in particular, or would just like some friendly words of wisdom, pm me... good luck :luck:

Do we need:
Essential Cell Bio.
Medical Micro.
T&T Genetics in Medicine
An Ostepathic Approach to Diag. and Treat.
Theime's Atlas of Anatomy
Clinically Oriented Embry.
Bates
Epidemiology

AND

If I don't have these books, how would this affect me when it comes to the assigned readings?

I think you definitely need this since there is a lot of assigned reading out of this book and it's one of our main sources for OMM. I have it and it seems like a pretty good book to buy.

For the others, I think you can live through not buying it (maybe bates you might need to). Hopefully a second year or higher can answer this ... or ... you can wait until the Big Brothers/Sisters lunch tomorrow and find out!

The books I have bought so far in which I think it's necessary (a 2nd year might have a different opinion):

Biochemistry
An Osteopathic Approach to Diag. and Treat.
Atlas: (both Netter's (from joining SOMA) and Rohen's)
Grant's Dissector
Big Moore (from what I found, Baby Moore seems fine)
Netter's Flashcards
Haines Neuroanatomy Atlas (I found this for really cheap so I bought it, but you definitely don't need this now. I heard its an essential book for neuro)

The Dictionary of Words Roots and Combining Forms recommended by Dr. Hill in lecture today seems like a useful book also.

Other than prolly a First AID USMLE Step I book, that'll be all I'll buy this first half of the year. The other books are in the library anyways and Harrison's is free online through NYCOM. I heard Robbins and the Pharmacology book might be useful to buy too. It really depends on you, but this is what I got out of it so far.

:luck:

So if we have omm lab tomorrow, we wear our shorts/tank tops and scrubs over them?

So if we have omm lab tomorrow, we wear our shorts/tank tops and scrubs over them?

yes.

actually if you check your nyit email, you are not require to have scrubs.

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]The following message is being sent on behalf of Dr. Gilliar:
Dear Class of 2012,
Please note the following:
1. We understand that not everybody may have been able to purchase scrub wear for tomorrow’s OMM Labs. Therefore if you have no scrubs, we request that you wear clothing without zippers, grommets or similar.

I think you definitely need this since there is a lot of assigned reading out of this book and it's one of our main sources for OMM. I have it and it seems like a pretty good book to buy.

For the others, I think you can live through not buying it (maybe bates you might need to). Hopefully a second year or higher can answer this ... or ... you can wait until the Big Brothers/Sisters lunch tomorrow and find out!

The books I have bought so far in which I think it's necessary (a 2nd year might have a different opinion):

Biochemistry
An Osteopathic Approach to Diag. and Treat.
Atlas: (both Netter's (from joining SOMA) and Rohen's)
Grant's Dissector
Big Moore (from what I found, Baby Moore seems fine)
Netter's Flashcards
Haines Neuroanatomy Atlas (I found this for really cheap so I bought it, but you definitely don't need this now. I heard its an essential book for neuro)

:luck:

Great.

btw. how do we join SOMA? Do we have to do that online application and pay the fee?

Thanks.

Great.

btw. how do we join SOMA? Do we have to do that online application and pay the fee?

Thanks.

The Organization Fair is Friday afternoon. You can join then. Make sure you have a checkbook or cash for the $65 fee.

Do we need:
Essential Cell Bio.
Medical Micro.
T&T Genetics in Medicine
Theime's Atlas of Anatomy
Clinically Oriented Embry.
Bates
Epidemiology

AND

If I don't have these books, how would this affect me when it comes to the assigned readings?

No, don't get any of them except for one. You can get by without any of those books. The only one you might find useful in that list is the Bates book. Get Savarse's OMT review book instead of "An Osteopathic Approach...". However, I did open that book up a few times during the first 2 yrs of med school so if you want to be safe get the Osteopathic Approach book too, but it's not really needed. If you like to use expensive books for toilet paper then get all the required books. :smuggrin:

Guys, Life Uniforms on Old Country Road gives us a 10% discount, I think someone said it was 20%. They're good, they have a lot of sizes and the cheapest scrubs are 9.99, though most are like 13.99-14.99 for the cheapest kind. Walmart is around 14.99 for each piece, though they have kind of messed up designs for the tops, like... trees and bears...

yeah I just went to Life Uniforms today. It's a great place. I bought 3 sets! :D

Guys, Life Uniforms on Old Country Road gives us a 10% discount, I think someone said it was 20%. They're good, they have a lot of sizes and the cheapest scrubs are 9.99, though most are like 13.99-14.99 for the cheapest kind. Walmart is around 14.99 for each piece, though they have kind of messed up designs for the tops, like... trees and bears...

the lady that helped me told me 20% last week, tho the scrubs i bought weren't eligible because they were a name brand. she must have misspoken because i never do that :laugh:

Anyone know whether that financial aid presentation stuff from 10-12pm is mandatory?

'Cause if it's not, I'd rather just go to the lecture portion tomorrow at 1 and get some sleep.