NYCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

It took me almost 7 weeks to hear my decision. My interview was in late march so that probably has alot to do with it :)

It seems like NYCOM is starting much much earlier this year. I think the first invites last year went out in Late oct early Nov. Anyways, good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in late february and heard back in about 1.5 weeks. I guess it all depends on the timing, if you interview near an adcom meeting date, etc.

anyone get an interview invite yet? If so, when was your aacomas application processed?

thanks

People who have been to NYCOM for interview or are currently attending the school..what do you think about the facilities? Any thoughts on the school?

People who have been to NYCOM for interview or are currently attending the school..what do you think about the facilities? Any thoughts on the school?

the medical school is pretty much 3 buildings. the library is in one, our lecture halls, mailboxes, locker rooms, gym and OMM lab are in another and a larger auditorium, anatomy lab, cafeteria, study room and ICC are in the third. our lecture hall is very nice (but really, really cold!) and the anatomy lab is pretty nice too. it is on the top floor of the building with windows all around. the OMM lab has all new equipment in it. the gym is tiny, just a room pretty much. the cafeteria is way too small for the amount of students (not nearly enough seats) and it is on the pricey side as well. the study room is good if you want a relatively quiet place to study. all in all the facilities are pretty nice here. and they still stream all the lectures (though we have to attend them as well), but being able to rewatch them really helps with studying for some of the lecturers and OMM.

Thanks vee. What do you think about the environment? is it cut throat competition or people are mostly laid back? Is housing available? What have you heard about the clinical expereince from 3rd and 4th year students?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. But I am trying to figure out if I should apply there or not. Not too thrilled about $1500 nonrefundable fee to save a seat there!!

thanks a bunch!

i'm a first year at NYCOM also, and i love the enviroment. like vee said, its three buildings, and in between there is a big grassy patch with some trees, and theres a little pond next to that. its a pretty campus. but seeing as we have mandatory attendence, and class from 8-5 this block...i don't see as much of the outside as i'd like :p as for being cutthroat, i'm sure there are ppl who are are, but i sit in the back and re-stream later ;)
NYCOM doesnt provide housing, but theres tons of houses for rent and some apartment complexes in the area.
this is some of the main hospitals NYCOM is affiliated with. i'm sure a 2nd year could answer better than me. http://iris.nyit.edu/~nycomec/

i wouldnt worry about the 1500 deposit right now. if you're interested, apply and see where it goes from there!

Thanks vee. What do you think about the environment? is it cut throat competition or people are mostly laid back? Is housing available? What have you heard about the clinical expereince from 3rd and 4th year students?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. But I am trying to figure out if I should apply there or not. Not too thrilled about $1500 nonrefundable fee to save a seat there!!

thanks a bunch!

Got my interview invite this past Friday, aacomas sent out on 9/3. Anybody else interviewing in October?

I assume I will be, have to call up and schedule tomorrow :thumbup:

I assume I will be, have to call up and schedule tomorrow :thumbup:

Hey can you post the phone number here? I had my friend check my mail but he didn't give me the number.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm I was told they start interviewing in november.:confused:

That was how it was last year. This year, it seems that NYCOM has started earlier :)

EDIT: misunderstood comment. Interview invites went out in Nov last year...actual interviews are starting in Nov this year.

I just called they said the earliest they had was Nov 7th, so I took it

I recently sent in the recommendations requested by NYCOM. For those of you who already have interviews scheduled, are you guys all in-state? And what are your numbers? (Sorry, I'm just freaking and am wondering if I personally even have a shot at a secondary/interview.) I'm 27 mcat, 3.27 sci, 3.6 overall.

Is this too early to hear back? How long did you guys wait for a 2ndary to come back?

Thanks in advance, congrats, and good luck on your interviews.

when were you guys complete, before getting interviews from NYCOM? Also, was the invite snail or email?>

afternoon.

to the guy above, i'm in-state. i have similar stats as you except my sci gpa is close to my overall. i think you have a fair shot anyhow.

Me too, looks like I'll be seeing you there!

Invite was snail mail and I received it a little less than a month after my aacomas was sent out.

NYCOM says that they dont accept Virtual Evals. But do they accept Interfolio Deliveries? Or how did ya'll send your recommendation letters?

NYCOM says that they dont accept Virtual Evals. But do they accept Interfolio Deliveries? Or how did ya'll send your recommendation letters?

I used interfolio for all my letters.

i got an invite last week from NYCOM. Woohoo. Sad part is I can't schedule an interview yet because Stony Brook University is taking their sweet time drafting a committee letter! Its been 5 weeks already!

Hopefully it will turn out alright in the end.

Does NYCOM ask for letters of recommendation then send out the secondary when you are invited for interview or do they just ask for letters of recommendation?

I know it says on their website that they send the secondary only if you are selected to interview. Just wanted some clarification.

Does NYCOM ask for letters of recommendation then send out the secondary when you are invited for interview or do they just ask for letters of recommendation?

I know it says on their website that they send the secondary only if you are selected to interview. Just wanted some clarification.

The answer is that they first ask for your LOR's then they send out interview invite with a secondary. That was the order for me last year.

I am also a first year at NYCOM. I really like the school for the most part. My major complaint is mandatory attendance policy. Other than that school is great and we have a really nice class. Everyone gets along and really tries to help each other. I don't find it very cut throat. Grading policy is H/P/F for your pre-clinical courses. If you try for the H ( which is only given to top 10% of the class) then it becomes cut throat. Other than that just make sure you pass.

I heard somewhere that NYCOM favors in state students. Does anyone know if that is true?

I can say that a really large majority of my class (2011) is from NY and NJ. About 200 from NY and 30 from NJ and about 60-65 out of state. We have 295 students in the class. If my class make up is indicative of all other classes than NYCOM has a very large instate bais.

hi
i was just wondering what my chances are in nycom

3.99 GPA (same for science)
and 26Q on the mcat
shadowed MD
research experience

thanks

hi
i was just wondering what my chances are in nycom

3.99 GPA (same for science)
and 26Q on the mcat
shadowed MD
research experience

thanks

im just curious which class was the one you didn't get an A in?

lol
a 2 credit physical chemistry lab
i got an A minus

I can say that a really large majority of my class (2011) is from NY and NJ. About 200 from NY and 30 from NJ and about 60-65 out of state. We have 295 students in the class. If my class make up is indicative of all other classes than NYCOM has a very large instate bais.

wow, that's a big class. how's the social life on campus? are there are lot of student orgs? intramurals?

wow, that's a big class. how's the social life on campus? are there are lot of student orgs? intramurals?

NYCOM is the second largest Medical school in the country. It is second to MSU who I think (not sure maybe someone can varify that) has its DO and MD programs to gether for most of its courses except for OMM/OMT. Having such a large class brings with it a lot of culture and all sorts of student organiztions. We have a soccor team, and we have clubs for all sorts of religous backgrounds as well as clubs for many fields in medicine. If you go to the NYCOM web site you can see alot of that information.

NYCOM is the second largest Medical school in the country. It is second to MSU who I think (not sure maybe someone can varify that) has its DO and MD programs to gether for most of its courses except for OMM/OMT. Having such a large class brings with it a lot of culture and all sorts of student organiztions. We have a soccor team, and we have clubs for all sorts of religous backgrounds as well as clubs for many fields in medicine. If you go to the NYCOM web site you can see alot of that information.

thanks for the tip :thumbup:

lol
a 2 credit physical chemistry lab
i got an A minus

I think you should have a very good shot. As long as you have good LOR's, EC's and perform well on your interview you shouldn't have a problem.

The answer is that they first ask for your LOR's then they send out interview invite with a secondary. That was the order for me last year.

I am also a first year at NYCOM. I really like the school for the most part. My major complaint is mandatory attendance policy. Other than that school is great and we have a really nice class. Everyone gets along and really tries to help each other. I don't find it very cut throat. Grading policy is H/P/F for your pre-clinical courses. If you try for the H ( which is only given to top 10% of the class) then it becomes cut throat. Other than that just make sure you pass.

I am also a first year student and I really like the school so far. Everyone is extremly friendly and helpful. Another thing that I didn't think about it but turned out to be really helpful was "Streaming". I now realized how great the technology is. With streaming, I can watch any lecture again anytime. It's video taped/voice recorded accompanying with powerpoint notes. So, it's just like sitting in the lecture. Streaming makes my med school life so much easier.

And farookiano, you will be fine. You have decent stats. I wouldn't be worry if i were you.

most of the first and second year classes are together as it was mentioned above.
third and fourth, none.

I applied 2 weeks ago and recieved an interview invite without sending my LORs!! I guess I should do that now...strange..

nothing spectacular...3.61 gpa and 26 mcat...but I have 4 years of research and a lot of clincal experience.

thnx guys
i really want to stay in NY
my top choice is nycom, then tuoro
should i start calling the schools and asking them about interviews or just wait until they get in touch with me?

I heard somewhere that NYCOM favors in state students. Does anyone know if that is true?

It depends on how you look at it. I think the applicant pool has to do more with the large amount of NY/NJ residents at NYCOM than what the adcom prefers.

The people who are getting interview invitations now, when were you guys complete? Thanks.

Would be SO awesome to go to NYCOM, it's so close to my home. It would be such a stress-free transition into medical school.

NYCOM STRESSES ME OUT! I DONT KNOW WHEN to expect to hear back about an interview invite. because theres no secondary, so no "completion date"...does it go off when we recieved out letters in the mail about recieving our aacomas apps??

NYCOM STRESSES ME OUT! I DONT KNOW WHEN to expect to hear back about an interview invite. because theres no secondary, so no "completion date"...does it go off when we recieved out letters in the mail about recieving our aacomas apps??

that's a good question. I second that as well. I received that letter about NYCOM receiving the primary AACOMAS and that only people that interview will be sent a secondary application. However, I still have not sent out my LOR's/Committee letter (one of my profs is taking his sweet time tyvm) so I'm wondering if they wait on those documents before they decide on the app or if they are already deciding?