NYCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I remember correctly from last year, they do send you a letter saying they got your AACOMAS, and then you sit and wait. I know of people who never heard from them again. They haven't sent rejections in the past.

If NYCOM is at the top of your list, make sure the adcom knows you. There is an open house in November, where you can talk with the admissions director and asst. director. When I chatted with them last year, they specifically told me to keep in touch with them, and that is what I did until I got an interview. Don't call the admissions number, you will only get a secretary, your better off calling Ms. Zaika or Ms. Croot if you have something worthwhile to say.

Also, stop into the admissions office in person if you can to drop things off, or check on your status. It'll help them remember you.

:luck: Good luck to everyone applying, there's a lot of crazy stuff happening at NYCOM now, but don't let it deter you from wanting to come here! :)

that's a good question. I second that as well. I received that letter about NYCOM receiving the primary AACOMAS and that only people that interview will be sent a secondary application. However, I still have not sent out my LOR's/Committee letter (one of my profs is taking his sweet time tyvm) so I'm wondering if they wait on those documents before they decide on the app or if they are already deciding?

Members don't see this ad.

...there's a lot of crazy stuff happening at NYCOM now, but don't let it deter you from wanting to come here! :)

Can you elaborate on that please?

Due to torrential down pours the first, second year lecture halls were flooded. It also affected power for the whole building which was out this past Friday. One day of classes for class 2011 was cancelled and rescheduled. That building (serota) also has the adminstrative offices inside it as well. Therefore admissions wise nothing happed from Thurs. till today. The class of 2011 has been meeting in a different lecture hall for now so they can clean up our normal lecture hall. There was about a foot and half of water in the first year and second year lecture hall.

They are also plans to renovate different parts of different building like the ICC (standardized patient are) and study area.

Members don't see this ad :)

There was a big change to the curriculum for the first system - Fundamentals of Osteopathic Medicine. Anatomy is also much more accelerated in that we finish in Feb, but the 2010'ers finished in May. Also, the amount of material in the 2011 curriculum seems to have a bit more information stuffed into it.

However, the class of 2010 only had 1 exam for their fundamentals class where as we in 2011 had 3 exams + 4 quizzes. There was definately more pressure for the 2010ers. I think 2011's (and hopefully 2012's) exam set up is much much MUCH better.

Also new this year is the mandatory attendance policy and the Curse of the 7 Dooms (rain/flooding/fire/electrical outages/giant wasps from hell/leaving one open for winter) :laugh:

My fellow classmates summed it up pretty well. I'm not sure if you 2012's read the NYCOM threads for other years, so that is why I said it, not to scare! :laugh:

But this is by far my most favorite comment EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JP is too funny! :laugh:

Also new this year is the mandatory attendance policy and the Curse of the 7 Dooms (rain/flooding/fire/electrical outages/giant wasps from hell/leaving one open for winter) :laugh:

That's only 6.

Maybe number 7 could be the missing cadaver from last year? Do a Google search if you don't know what I'm talking about! I wonder if all the flooding and fires on campus will uncover where he's hiding.... :laugh:

question:

I received an interview invite from NYCOM late September but still have yet to schedule it because my university is taking its sweet time sending out my letters of recommendation.. can i schedule an interview without my letters actually being there, provided that I schedule an interview late enough so that my letters are actually there when I do interview? don't know if that makes any sense.. but someone feel free to help me out. I'm totally freaking out here. thanks.

If you received something, CALL THEM!!!!!!!!!!! They obviously want to interview you. They'll tell you if you're missing anything the day you interview. You can mention it when you call to schedule, but I'm sure its not a big deal, since you got the invite. Better yet, call/email Ms Croot or Ms Zaika and ask them directly if the letter must be in by the day you interview, but I doubt it.

You may want to wait until its in if its going to be a great letter. During my interview at NYCOM, my interviewer had all my letters and my personal statement, because we talked about them.

Good luck, and you best be calling them tomorrow!! :luck:
question:

I received an interview invite from NYCOM late September but still have yet to schedule it because my university is taking its sweet time sending out my letters of recommendation.. can i schedule an interview without my letters actually being there, provided that I schedule an interview late enough so that my letters are actually there when I do interview? don't know if that makes any sense.. but someone feel free to help me out. I'm totally freaking out here. thanks.

EDIT: Rereading...I'm thinking that NYCOM has none of your letters?? Start harrassing your school tomorrow too...

Does anyone know anything about the new PBL curriculum that is being implemented?

hi guys
im choosing btwn nycom and touro
any thoughts?

hi guys
any thoughts?
I was in the same position last year. I chose NYCOM due to its reputation, location, and that I had friends who would be in my class. I am sure Turo will be a great school as well however, NYCOM has been around since 1977 and in New York and around the country it is a highly respected school. It also had an amazing match list. Students were accepted to John Hopkins for surgery, Harvard for Pediatrics, NYU for PRM, couple went to Yale, one to Dartmouth, and one to Baylor.

hi guys
any thoughts?

NYCOM: Large class (295+)
TOUROCOM: Smaller class (~135)

NYCOM: 30 yrs old
TOURCOM: 1 yr old

NYCOM: NYCOMEC rotation sites - Very good clinical education in 3rd and 4th yrs
TOUROCOM: Guy who set up NYCOMEC Rotation sites is your dean - Good rotation sites in NYC

NYCOM: Suburbs - LI
TOUROCOM: Urban - NYC

NYCOM: Pass/Fail grade system
TOUROCOM: Letter grade system

NYCOM: Choice of PBL or Lecture based curriculum
TOUROCOM: Lecture based only as far as I can tell

NYCOM: Great matchlist and many alumni in NYC area
TOUROCOM: No matchlist yet; no alumni unless counting Touro-MI and -NV

NYCOM: ~38,000/yr
TOUROCOM: ~32,000/yr (not entirely sure about cost here)

I made a similar choice last year and I chose NYCOM. My reasons were (no particular order):
1 - great matchlist + alumni
2 - shadowed 3 nycom graduates who were fantastic mentors
3 - I like Long Island
4 - That intangible "feeling" when a place just clicks with you. I had a great time at my interview at NYCOM
5 - pass/fail

On the Cons side:
1 - I don't particularly like our ginormous class size. It's harder to do things ranging from administrative stuff (my fellow 2011'ers will remember our 5 hr ordeal to take ID pics) to getting to know faculty better, to getting to know your classmates better. I'm sure that I will still be meeting new people in my class even up to graduation day :laugh:. With that said I think the class of 2011 is filled with some very nice/chill people :love:. No one is competitive at all and we all pretty much help out our classmates.
2 - Attendance policy: I don't like it, but I can live with it. 'nuff said.

Can't really think of a third right now, but if I do, I'll post it later on. Good luck with your choice :thumbup:

Do those that go there: 1) do they have a 24/hr library/place to study 2) how much can one expect to pay for rent for 1bedroom apt. nearby? I'm assuming since its NY metro area that prices are on the high side.

Also a side question, do you guys work to get some pocket money? I mean loans dont pay for everyday things and was wondering how someone would manage being in a DO/MD program and working as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Do those that go there: 1) do they have a 24/hr library/place to study 2) how much can one expect to pay for rent for 1bedroom apt. nearby? I'm assuming since its NY metro area that prices are on the high side.

Also a side question, do you guys work to get some pocket money? I mean loans dont pay for everyday things and was wondering how someone would manage being in a DO/MD program and working as well

1) Library closes at 12am. Other buildings on campus close around 2-3am. Not really sure though, I haven't stayed that late yet

2) I know of people who live in apts 10-15mins from school that are paying $400-500. You'll need to get roomates to pay that little though.

3) Learn to love ramen..or date/marry someone rich :)

hi guys
my interview with nycom is december 5th
is this considered late?

hi guys
my interview with nycom is december 5th
is this considered late?

no not at all. nycom doesn't even start interviewing until november. i interviewed in late february and got in so i'd say you're in fine shape, time-wise.

2) how much can one expect to pay for rent for 1bedroom apt. nearby? I'm assuming since its NY metro area that prices are on the high side.

Also a side question, do you guys work to get some pocket money? I mean loans don't pay for everyday things and was wondering how someone would manage being in a DO/MD program and working as well

To live alone most people pay around $1,000. With roommates $500+ most likely (I live at home).

There's no time to work, and yes loans DO pay for all those everyday things. Tuition is just under 40k...we're allowed about 45k from the government (that takes care of tuition, books, insurance, etc.). Then we're allowed up to 24k a year for "living expenses" which means a check for you to cash in your bank account with no questions asked. $45k + $24k = $69k available to you per year (plus other things like the NYCOM grant (about $2k) that everyone gets). The money is there if you need/want to borrow it. I do not know of anyone in our class that works, and I know a lot of people!

Hope this helps!

i keep emailing em, but no replies...how rude.

interview dates go fast. I called them last friday and was told December 4-6 are open for interview, but i was undecided by the time. So i called back this Monday and those 3 days are all gone...I have to schedule for december 11th:confused:

I got the letter from nycom requesting my LOR and i sent them in via interfolio about 2.5 wks ago. How long does it take to hear back about an interview invite? Also, is there anyway to check the status of your application, or do you just have to call the office?

I got the letter from nycom requesting my LOR and i sent them in via interfolio about 2.5 wks ago. How long does it take to hear back about an interview invite? Also, is there anyway to check the status of your application, or do you just have to call the office?

You have to call the office. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll call even though they say not to call for individual status updates.

if i do receive an acceptance, how long do i have until i have to send the deposit to secure a spot? i wish to keep my options open and i was curious about this. please let me know.

if i do receive an acceptance, how long do i have until i have to send the deposit to secure a spot? i wish to keep my options open and i was curious about this. please let me know.
I want to know the answer to this as well

i think you have a month, but i could be totally wrong!

as for housing, there's a lot to choose from. i know alot of people that live in rented houses with a few other people that are paying $500 or so, as well as people living alone, or with a sig other in a complex paying more like 1300-1800. it depends what you're looking for. i am in a complex, and i am paying towards the higher end of that range, but i have a gym/tennis courts/pool, parking, and its private. plus i have a non med student BF to pay half the rent :)

but living on LI is totally do-able, and like it was said before, you get like 24K for living expenses.

you guys have an idea of when OOS'ers are sent interview invites?

I'm oos and interviewed in feb, accepted a week later in early march

It depends when you recieve your acceptance. If before Jan. you have a month after Jan. have 2 weeks after June 48 hrs. I am not really sure but I interviewed after Jan. and had to weeks to lay out a deposit.

I've heard of one bedrooms down to about 800 in the area, most are around 1000. It's definitely best to have roommates, but if you're against it, then it's still doable. Also, you can live further from school, but with mandatory attendance, that gets to be a lot.

As for working, I know a few people who attempted to have real jobs at the beginning of 1st year, that lasted about 2 weeks. Some people do work study to get extra money, which basically means sitting in the library, study room, or gym and studying. You only qualify for work study if you are not taking max loans. Other people (like myself) just take out max loans and budget well. I set up a budget, and was able to live comfortably and at the end of the year had enough money to pay off my car loan and go on vacation.

do you current nycom student remember how much the deposit for nycom was?

I'm pretty sure it's $1500

lol i wish all my schools gave me an extension past december 14th! As per the post above, they might... but I doubt it. On a different note, do you think that people who interview during the first round will hear by the all-important 12/14 date?

you guys have an idea of when OOS'ers are sent interview invites?

how out of state are you? haha, what i mean, is where are you from? word is, that they have reigonal local preference, although i do know some people in 2011 class from all over the place, but the majority seems to be from NY/NJ with some CT, MA mixed in, and a few others also.

i didn't interview until march, and they interviewed until the beginning of april i believe.

:luck:

I'm from CT but currently live in philly. CT resident for applications though

hey
i have an interview on december 5th
any tips
thnx

Hey everyone, So My NYCOM (and first med school interview ever!) is on Wednesday! Anyone else have one that day? Any words to prevent me from throwing up?? How do you minimize the nervous energy?:scared:

Hey everyone, So My NYCOM (and first med school interview ever!) is on Wednesday! Anyone else have one that day? Any words to prevent me from throwing up?? How do you minimize the nervous energy?:scared:
I go on tuesday... i'll pm you and let you know how it goes. My first interview I got so freaking nervous, which I wasn't expecting at all... my second one one, I was much smoother and hopefully my third is better yet. Just relax and be yourself

Don't worry about it, I heard that the hardest part of the entire process is getting the interview, once you do that, just be yourself and everything will work out. Good luck! , I am interviewing on thursday at the same school.

how out of state are you? haha, what i mean, is where are you from? word is, that they have reigonal local preference, although i do know some people in 2011 class from all over the place, but the majority seems to be from NY/NJ with some CT, MA mixed in, and a few others also.

i didn't interview until march, and they interviewed until the beginning of april i believe.

:luck:

So no chance for a MI guy? :sleep:

Thats good to hear that they interview that late in the cycle.

to all of u coming to NYCOM for interviews in the future - chill out. it is one of the most laid back interviews that you will have and the overall time that you spend here on campus during your interview will also be very relaxed. stay calm and be yourself - remember, the point is to promote yourself without sounding too pompous. if you have an particular questions about NYCOM feel free to PM me. good luck

to all of u coming to NYCOM for interviews in the future - chill out. it is one of the most laid back interviews that you will have and the overall time that you spend here on campus during your interview will also be very relaxed. stay calm and be yourself - remember, the point is to promote yourself without sounding too pompous. if you have an particular questions about NYCOM feel free to PM me. good luck
:thumbup:

The NYCOM interview is very chilled out. You meet with your interviewer for 15-20 minutes tops. Know your application well. Use the SDN interview section, and I think you should be fine. Be yourself and answer questions confidently. For specific questions feel free to PM me. Good Luck!!!:luck::luck::luck:

NYCOM interviews about 600 applicants for 300 spots. If you have an interview you have a 50% chance of being accepted.

My interview was also very laid back, but I know from someone else in the 2011 class that had a totally different experience. So be prepared, but don't automatically think the interview is going to be a cake walk. Not to make anyone nervous, really, just trying to be honest. :luck:

I go on tuesday... i'll pm you and let you know how it goes. My first interview I got so freaking nervous, which I wasn't expecting at all... my second one one, I was much smoother and hopefully my third is better yet. Just relax and be yourself

I'd appreciate a pm too, im also on going on Wednesday!

I have an interview tomorrow and I didn't think about parking...can somebody tell me where I can park? Is there street parking or do I park on some lot on campus?

Thanks