NYCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah i haven't either. but everyone: make sure immunization paper work is all done. they wont let you start if you don't have it in by August!

Members don't see this ad.

I got my FinAid "your package is complete" letter a few days ago. So, yours should be along shortly. :)

Hey, if you guys haven't received an invite to the NYCOM class of 2012 pre-union picnic, (Eisenhower Park, August 16th) join the NYCOM class of 2012 facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6397372613) and friend me, Jess Capasso. Then i'll send you an invite. hope to see you all there.

Members don't see this ad :)
did anybody applying to NYCOM last cycle have a school that uses virtual evals??? I saw in the info book that NYCOM does not accept VE, so what did you do instead? Thanks!

did anybody applying to NYCOM last cycle have a school that uses virtual evals??? I saw in the info book that NYCOM does not accept VE, so what did you do instead? Thanks!

double check with nycom admissions and see what format they prefer; though if i remember correctly, the secondary and LORs were required after I was invited to the interview.

I finally got a letter saying that I've been approved for about $43,000 for the first year. Now I'm considering applying for a Grad PLUS loan to cover the cost of books, 'cause I didn't realize that I wouldn't get enough up until now :\.

I would appreciate it if someone can help me with answers to some questions.

Is it too late to apply for the Grad PLUS loan? How much does it generally cost for books per year? What lenders have people gone with? Are there huge negatives for taking a Grad PLUS loan?
You're getting 43,000 in loans or grants? That seems like a lot to me especially if you don't have to repay it.

You're getting 43,000 in loans or grants? That seems like a lot to me especially if you don't have to repay it.

Loans. There was a tiny amount of a NYCOM grant too, I don't remember how much anymore. The total I get is still a little less than the actual tuition costs still by a small amount.

Does anyone know of a good resource to find housing near NYCOM (not craig's list). As of yet I cannot log on the web-board.

Does anyone know of a good resource to find housing near NYCOM (not craig's list). As of yet I cannot log on the web-board.

why can't you get on the webboard... it's a general password

username: XXXXXXXXXXX
password XXXXXXXXXX

hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Me neither... I am going to call them tomorrow.
For some reason I cannot locate my log-in info.

ooooooooooooooo someone X'ed over my info... didn't know the info on the web-board was classified. Sorry, guys. I tried to hook you up. lemme see if I can PM it to you

Thanks a lot!
I got it! First, I did not realize that I had to start with NYIT web site, not NYCOM.

It depends how many books you plan on buying. Some books are a must like a dissector (Anatomy), Neters and/or Rohens(Anatomy), Moore and Dalley (Anatomy), Robbins (pathology) and others are a waste. Wait until you have a meeting with your big brother and or big sister (a second year, oh yeah that would be me.) during the first week of classes they will guide on what is essential and what are a waste of money. I believe you can take out grad plus anytime. I would just double check that with financial aid. It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars at most for all the books you will need for first and second year.

I just called the financial aid office and they told me that they estimate $3800 for books and supplies in the first year. I was wondering how they would come up with a number so high. I know there are books that we won't have to buy. But when you include the other supplies like the stethoscope and whatever else we need besides books, will the cost of all of it be close to the number quoted by the financial aid people?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called the financial aid office and they told me that they estimate $3800 for books and supplies in the first year. I was wondering how they would come up with a number so high. I know there are books that we won't have to buy. But when you include the other supplies like the stethoscope and whatever else we need besides books, will the cost of all of it be close to the number quoted by the financial aid people?

Supplies can be expensive. It depends if you want to spend money on it. An Otoscope/opthalmoscope combo is about $5-600. Again in most offices or hospitals have them on the wall so you really won't be using your own too much. I know many people in my class who didn't buy it at all and borrowed it from fellow classmates when it was needed for DPR. Personally I bought it because you never know when you will be treating family or friends.

A stethoscope is a good investment because no matter what field of medicine you go into you will be using it and you use your own. Make sure you get the longest length possible and to get a top of the line scope shouldn't cost more than $150. The school actually gets us a pretty good deal on equipment.

A blood pressure cuff could be expensive personally I bought the cheapest one available for $20 and it worked perfectly. Also most offices and hospitals have them on the wall so you will not be using your own too much. Books with equipment shouldn't run you more than $1000-1400 tops. The $3800 is assuming you are buying all the books and going top of the line on all equipment.

Thanks a lot!
I got it! First, I did not realize that I had to start with NYIT web site, not NYCOM.

so you can log onto the webboard from the nyit website? Everytime I try the nycom way it tells me new members are not permitted, even though I used the login info

BTW never buy any books before class, really don't buy anything.

Last edited:
Supplies can be expensive. It depends if you want to spend money on it. An Otoscope/opthalmoscope combo is about $5-600. Again in most offices or hospitals have them on the wall so you really won't be using your own too much. I know many people in my class who didn't buy it at all and borrowed it from fellow classmates when it was needed for DPR. Personally I bought it because you never know when you will be treating family or friends.

A stethoscope is a good investment because no matter what field of medicine you go into you will be using it and you use your own. Make sure you get the longest length possible and to get a top of the line scope shouldn't cost more than $150. The school actually gets us a pretty good deal on equipment.

A blood pressure cuff could be expensive personally I bought the cheapest one available for $20 and it worked perfectly. Also most offices and hospitals have them on the wall so you will not be using your own too much. Books with equipment shouldn't run you more than $1000-1400 tops. The $3800 is assuming you are buying all the books and going top of the line on all equipment.

Thanks a lot Kappy!

Kappy, what was your most challenging first year system?

Kappy, what was your most challenging first year system?
It depends on the student and their background. For me Neuro. system was the hardest. First of all it is the longest system of all of them. It lasts three months (you take one part a month and must pass each part seperatly lab and lecture exams, even though it is one grade on your transcript.) and never seems to end. I never took a Psych. class or neuro science class before so it made it even more challenging for me. The first two parts of the course were really hard. Trying to find a good book on it is hard as well. The book that we use is the Barr book and it is terrible and the head of the department even agreed. Everything in the brain has at least two or three different names and different faculty will present it as such. I found a great link from the university of Texes, Neuroscience Online: A Neuroscience Electronic Textbook | The University of Texas Medical School at Houston that really made sense to me and I used High Yield Neuroanatomy. Last year alot of people failed Neuro. II. The Neuro. department is notoriously known as the worst department in the school. It is hard topic and I found the exams were harder then any of the other systems. This is where you want to step up your studying. But if you can survive Neuro you can survive anything.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

What do you mean you started with the NYIT web site? I cannot locate a web-board on it.

so you can log onto the webboard from the nyit website? Everytime I try the nycom way it tells me new members are not permitted, even though I used the login info

quote]

Yeah, I had the same problem.
You shall not go through http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Students_Resources.htm
trying to log-in to Webboard.
Actually, I called the admissions and they gave me the direct link with NYIT. I think it was http://meet.nyit.edu/
Then I was able to log in and I just left the page opened. I tried to log in again from another computer and for some reason I could not.
To my disappointment there's nothing important there anyway.
They have only 7 (seven) housing ads and an orientation program.

wow, really? I used it to find my apartment back in May and there were over 100 listings. Tough break. The student handbook is worth reading. There's some info about 2 textbooks we need and parking permits.

can we actually get the parking permit now or have to wait till orientation?

can we actually get the parking permit now or have to wait till orientation?
You will get it by orientation. It is not even really necessary. There are so many parking spaces and I don't know anyone who was ever ticketed for not having a decal.

You will get it by orientation. It is not even really necessary. There are so many parking spaces and I don't know anyone who was ever ticketed for not having a decal.

Thanks. :D Not in my school though, I got 5 parking tickets in 4 years and they don't give you the diploma until you pay them off...:(

Soo....... I'm gonna ask a change-of-pace question: is there still hope for us waitlisters at this point?

I know of one student last year who decided not to go to NYCOM during orientation last year. I am not sure if someone ended up taking his place, but maybe the next one on the wait list was accepted.

Last edited:
I still got no word from FinAid!!! :eek:
No loans conformation or anything... anyone in the same situation?

sorry to hear that. I got mine about a month ago. if i were you i'd call the fin-aid office and try to pinpoint the holdup

NYCOM FinAid Office sucks! :thumbdown:
I received my FinAid letter today on July 28, 2008. It says that the payment due date is August 1. I've called them many times earlier and they said I will have enough time before the due date.
I got no Perkins loans because "I applied too late." That's hilarious; I submitted my FAFSA back in February. :bullcrap:
Also, I selected my lender for Stafford loan, but it seems that I have school as a lender. Strange...
Altogether, such a short notice before the due date makes me think that those people do not do their job well. Considering the tuition it sucks!

finally got my award letter... if you haven't received yours yet, give them a call and they can forward you your information.

1.) yes, FinAid is slow sometimes with the communication, but overall they do NOT suck. you will never, from my and those i know well's experience, not get what you need when it's due you. there are literally 2.5 people working in financial aid for nearly 1200 students. give 'em a break. they are friendly and helpful if you need things like increases in max allowables.

2.) pay no mind to the tuition bills NYIT sends if you are getting loans. they know you're getting loans to cover it. it will be fine. there will be no demands for late payment fees.

3.) always always always take the max allowable. worst case scenario you don't need it all and can pay it back to your grad plus lender before you start accruing interest. but really, you will need it. that is, if you're not still riding on mommy and daddy's money.

4.) there are not many online resources for apartments, and the webboard isn't really very good for it either. word of mouth seems to be the best way, though how to get in that loop i can't help you with...sorry.

5.) you can't get id cards or car decals until orientation day at the time they say you get them, so don't bother going and trying and don't get to orientation early to try to do it. it'll be a frustrating waste of time. you'll just have to suck up and deal with the line for both on orientation day.

6.) waitlisters: i dunno about this year, but for class of 2010 there were people getting in up to the last 1-2 weeks before class started, i believe.

7.) if all your paperwork is in, stop worrying and enjoy your freedom (total or relative). you'll wish you had soon enough...and you 2011 people...you'd better not be studying!

back to prepping for rounds tomorrow, then up at 5am...

Hello Guys!
I had a question.. Did anyone receive any other loans besides staffords? I was expecting atleast some federal perkins loan. And I applied really early for my fafsa, so being late cannot be an issue. Thanks for your reply guys

to Noonday, OMS III:

First of all, thanks for a great response. :)

Regarding FinAid, nothing personal, but if 2.5 people are not enough, then it could be a good idea to hire an extra person. :idea: Bingo!
Also, how could matriculating student not to worry about official statement in writing saying "students who do not pay by the due date will lose their acceptances (and 1.5K deposits)." This is not the exact quote, but that's what they wrote...

To DOforsure:

I'm with you. No Perkins for unknown reason. No TAP as well. I am certainly eligible for both and I filled out my FAFSA when it came out.
Someone definitely does not do a good job!
In FinAid office they said I did nothing wrong and it's just a lottery. I was not lucky, LOL. :smuggrin: :rolleyes:

Well, I am still pretty happy to begin my medical school soon and learn to become a doctor. :laugh: ;)

Last edited:
to Noonday, OMS III:

First of all, thanks for a great response. :)

Regarding FinAid, nothing personal, but if 2.5 people are not enough, then I could be a good idea to hire an extra person. :idea: Bingo!
Also, how could matriculating student not to worry about official statement in writing saying "students who do not pay by the due date will lose their acceptances (and 1.5K deposits)." This is not the exact quote, but that's what they wrote...

To DOforsure:

I'm with you. No Perkins for unknown reason. No TAP as well. I am certainly eligible for both and I filled out my FAFSA when it came out.
Someone definitely does not do a good job!
In FinAid office they said I did nothing wrong and it's just a lottery. I was not lucky, LOL. :smuggrin: :rolleyes:

1.) it's not the fault of the 2.5 people who work in FinAid that there's only 2.5 ppl in FinAid. again, bashing them is misplaced. it is as it is, and nycom's not hiring anyone else anytime soon, and everything ends up working out without problems in the end, so just let it go.

2.) you don't worry because you have upperclassmen telling you that they got the same letters and everything was fine. no one i know who got enough loans to cover tuition and fees has had a problem in the last 5 semesters of getting those letter.

3.) first years tend not to get perkins and TAP, i believe because the funding is limited and goes to upperclass students. there are good reasons for this i am told. and have no fear, as "unfair" as it may seem now, you'll get it in 2-3 years and then you'll be happy.

Well it does not make much sense to me but I guess you do know better. :)

I don't blame anyone but if a small number of workers is not able to make a work done in time (I know some students who got their FinAid letters couple days before the due date for payments!!!), it sounds right to hire an extra person. The tuition seems to be high enough to make it affordable. :rolleyes:
I cannot comprehend "good reasons" you mention in #3. Maybe they want first year to take a little more insubsidized loans so their interest grows for longer period?.. :confused: For some reasons NYCOM favors "upperclassmen" because government does not care about your year when they give Perkins loan. It makes sense though, as first year students are desperate to get to school.

Whatever. Everything is for reason. I hope someone is happy with the system.
And at the end... I wanna be a Doctor!

Last edited:
3.) first years tend not to get perkins and TAP, i believe because the funding is limited and goes to upperclass students. there are good reasons for this i am told. and have no fear, as "unfair" as it may seem now, you'll get it in 2-3 years and then you'll be happy.

Do you know about the approximate amount an "upperclassman" might receive from the federal perkins loan and TAP? I was under the impression that the maximum we can get is around 2000 dollars on these two put together. Is this true?

Do you know about the approximate amount an "upperclassman" might receive from the federal perkins loan and TAP? I was under the impression that the maximum we can get is around 2000 dollars on these two put together. Is this true?

Last time I checked the max for TAP was $500 in grad school and around $2000 for perkins. This may have went up this year.

Yes upperclasemen get priority for perkins. At some point FinAid looks to see how much perkins money is available based on number of people that reject the offer and people request/accept perkins-->years 1 and 2 get the leftovers if they exist.

For perkins, NYCOM will be your lender and there is a lifetime cap on how much you can borrow based on cummulative undegrad/grad perkins loans.

If your EFC is more than $0 I dont think you will qualify for TAp but apply anways.