NYCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My year they let us go the friday before. If they give you this option, take it!

if they had done that, i would have, trust me. biggest waste of time ever.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if NYCOM is hosting anymore interviews? Also, is there a date that students who received acceptance for 2012 have to confirm that that will be attending by?

Thanks

Supposedly they're done interviewing for the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called NYCOM yesterday for a status check and the lady at the admissions office said that the letter should be sent today and that I should keep my eye out for the mail. Good luck to all of those who are still waiting!

lol, this orientation stuff will be an interesting experience.

I called NYCOM yesterday for a status check and the lady at the admissions office said that the letter should be sent today and that I should keep my eye out for the mail. Good luck to all of those who are still waiting!

I just called and was told the same thing! Can't wait to finally find out! Good luck to you, too!

I had a question, my friend is in the 7 year BS/DO program at NYIT/NYCOM. She got rejected from NYCOM without a reason why. She has the grades, mcat score, all of the requirements, and her interview went fine. Has this happened to anyone in the past and if so what did they do? did they get in?

I had a question, my friend is in the 7 year BS/DO program at NYIT/NYCOM. She got rejected from NYCOM without a reason why. She has the grades, mcat score, all of the requirements, and her interview went fine. Has this happened to anyone in the past and if so what did they do? did they get in?

Hard to tell without all of the info, but I imagine that most if not all of the bs/do's get in. There must have been some red flag in her application; maybe a weird LOR or something? Has she called the school yet or spoken with her advisor at NYIT?

I was wondering if there are research programs or jobs offered at NYCOM (or even NYIT) that I could do before school starts?

I'm just kind of bored, and thinking it would be cool to occupy my time with a research program or something till school starts.

If it doesn't seriously get in the way of school work, I will also probably continue it even after school starts.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Ouch...tell her to give them a call. Never heard of this happening.

phone calls, e-mails no response...2 weeks and director is still "too busy". As far as LORs go all the bs/do get teh same generic one from Dr. Hummel, the advisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
no mail from nycom today, anyone hear yet?

Nothing here today either. I hope it comes tomorrow and it's good news! I'm going to get a tooth pulled tomorrow and I could use some good news :luck:.

Anyone going through NYCOM for the Stafford Loan get 2 identical etters from Sallie Mae today, one for subsidized and one for unsubsidized, stating that "information is pending from your school, lender or guarantor; therefore, we are unable to complete your request at this time. We are working on the necessary information and will notify you once this is resolved"? Should I be concerned?

Anyone going through NYCOM for the Stafford Loan get 2 identical etters from Sallie Mae today, one for subsidized and one for unsubsidized, stating that "information is pending from your school, lender or guarantor; therefore, we are unable to complete your request at this time. We are working on the necessary information and will notify you once this is resolved"? Should I be concerned?

i got the subsidized one today too. i think we're okay.

I received them as well. I don't think it is anything we need to worry about over.

Still waiting. Nothing in the mail today :confused:. Keeping my hopes up.

same here. I thought they were identical letters...:rolleyes:

Just got the letter today: Priority wait-list. I guess it's better than a rejection, it just sucks to have to keep waiting... Good luck to the rest of you.

Any tips about what I can do from this point on to increase my chances? I already sent an LOI. Should I send another? Or do I just have to wait. I'm losing my patience with this process. Now I have to wait some more! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got the letter today: Priority wait-list. I guess it's better than a rejection, it just sucks to have to keep waiting... Good luck to the rest of you.

still nothing on my end, wow it has been a long time for me :eek:. Hey priority waiting list is pretty good, congrats on that. Is there a regular waiting list and a priority waiting list?

Any tips about what I can do from this point on to increase my chances? I already sent an LOI. Should I send another? Or do I just have to wait. I'm losing my patience with this process. Now I have to wait some more! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, send another, make it very very clear that you wish to attend and include some updates. If you know the kind of grades you're anticipating, you can include those (unless you know you're getting something like a D). You can also ask for some letters of recommendations from teachers you had this semester.

Yep, send another, make it very very clear that you wish to attend and include some updates. If you know the kind of grades you're anticipating, you can include those (unless you know you're getting something like a D). You can also ask for some letters of recommendations from teachers you had this semester.

Good advice, except I'm a non trad who's not taking classes right now. Anything else I can do?

I know it's torture, but hang in there. The waitlist tends to move A LOT! If you sent in a LOI, I'd wait a few weeks and maybe send in another one. Whatever you do, don't call incessantly :) Good luck!

Good advice, except I'm a non trad who's not taking classes right now. Anything else I can do?

I'm not sure if this is do-able, but if you can find out a way to participate in like a soup kitchen, or a beach clean up effort, or shadowing a doctor for a day, technically that would be an update on your extracurricular section. I'm not completely sure if this will make the greatest excuse for an update letter, but it's something and there's a chance it might force them to review your application.

Is there a difference between priority wait list and the regular list??

I think there has to be a difference. Otherwise, they would both be called the same thing.

Metal?? your letter said "priority"?? Good luck Bro

Metal?? your letter said "priority"?? Good luck Bro

Yeah it said priority wait list. I'm not sure if there's a difference or not. I do't know why they would say "priority" if they didn't mean so. Did you get waitlisted as well??

Yeah it said priority wait list. I'm not sure if there's a difference or not. I do't know why they would say "priority" if they didn't mean so. Did you get waitlisted as well??

I know a lot of people in my class who had been on the waitlist. Make your intentions known, and just be patient. Good luck! :)

Being patient sucks. Write them a letter of intent where you make it clear that you intend to withdraw applications from consideration at all other schools if accepted.

Off waitlist, in MEDPREP program! That was quick, eh! Any advice? I made a thread about it too so, please, if you have any tips, advice or inside info, post or PM me!

Off waitlist, in MEDPREP program! That was quick, eh! Any advice? I made a thread about it too so, please, if you have any tips, advice or inside info, post or PM me!

Congrats!! Medprep is no joke...take it very seriously :) You'll be that much better off when the year starts to tackle fundamentals though. :thumbup:

Congrats!! Medprep is no joke...take it very seriously :) You'll be that much better off when the year starts to tackle fundamentals though. :thumbup:

Trust me man, I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm going to work my balls off for the next month and get into NYCOM. I need this. Thanks and I can't wait to get started!

Trust me man, I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm going to work my balls off for the next month and get into NYCOM. I need this. Thanks and I can't wait to get started!

hey congrats man, couldn't happen to a better guy... I guess all that worrying about applying next year went to waste.. haha :D hey just kill med prep and your in.

i just got my letter, priority wait list :cool:. Has anyone gotten into just the wait list, not the priority? Are their two waiting lists?

and the wait continues.....

If I get off UMDNJ-SOM's waitlist, I will be giving up my spot at NYCOM. Good luck to you guys on the NYCOM waitlist!

I am also on the NYCOM waitlist as of today!! I'm really hoping to get in... I am sending back their official form tomorrow, but do people recommend sending in an additional LOI as well, or is that unnecessary? I did send a LOI in a couple weeks ago when I was waiting to hear.

EDIT... Just read over some of the old threads. Sounds like people have called, sent LOI's, additional LOR's, etc. I'm not sure how much I really want to bug them, but I will keep all that in mind.

Has no one else been waitlisted yet on these forums? If so, I guess that's probably a good sign.

What are people's plans for the interim? I'm still waiting to hear from one other school, but I'm guessing that will be waitlist as well this late in the game. I'll probably start rewriting my personal statement soon, and get the apps back out there just in case. I don't want to be late in the game again this year!

yea i would not call them excessively, but send them anything that will help you like recommendations etc.

i am in the same boat as countthestars

Then I hope everyone gets off their respective waitlists!!!

anybody withdrew recently, or going to withdraw? :rolleyes:

Stopped by the admissions office today to personally hand in my "I'm staying on the Waitlist" letter. They wouldn't give me much info about how many people are on the list, movement, etc., but did say that there's typically not much movement in May/June, except maybe a few people... So July and August are the months to expect something. Notification of acceptance will be by mail unless its last minute, then you get a phone call.

Apparently one year there was no movement, but that is exceedingly rare. I got the impression they expect something like 20-40 people to drop this year... but that's speculation.

Good luck everyone...

hey when does classes start for nycom? just wondering if they coincide with touro, since i am waiting on the nycom waitlist....

August 18th is the orientation so that is when they officially attach the ball and chain to your ankle I suppose.

I was just accepted into TOUROCOM-NY Class of 2012 and I'm looking for roommates to live with in NYC. Or atleast can anyone give me some suggestions of places to look at that are in reasonable distance of 230 W 125th Street?