NYCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i know there is yahoo group for accepted srudents, and many people on the group are looking for apts. i am going to look for an apt late july or early aug

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the facebook group for the TouroCOM-NY 2012 class too, I know there are people in there looking for roommates and apartments.

Great! That atleast gives me some places to start looking. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
If i have only one C- on my transcript, do I have to take it over in order to get into NYCOM?

I don't have a C-, but I do have a C+ for general chemistry. I would think that's a pretty important class, but I got an acceptance to NYCOM.

If i have only one C- on my transcript, do I have to take it over in order to get into NYCOM?

Maybe you should search around a little next time before asking :)

From NYCOM's website:

Applicants must have completed an acceptable academic year sequence, with a grade of "C" or better, in the following prerequisite courses:
• English – 6 semester hrs.
• Biology – 8 semester hrs. including a basic course in general biology or general zoology (lecture and laboratory)
• General Chemistry – 8 semester hrs. (lecture and laboratory)
• Organic Chemistry – 8 semester hrs. (lecture and laboratory)
• Physics – 8 semester hrs. (lecture and laboratory)

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_DO_Program.htm

Good Luck :luck:

any word from nycom? did nycom have a may 15th deposit? i see that some some schools the WL is starting to move.

I got my first tuition bill from NYCOM today... anyone else? how scary is that... I guess i'm official starting my life of debt. Anyone know if there is a way to post information about roommates on the school "meet" website. I only looked at it quick today and saw apartment listings, but I'd like a roommate and still don't know how to go about finding one. If anyone is in a similar position, i'm an instate female looking for someone to get an apartment with (preferably other females). I live like an hour from the school, so I can go look at places. PM me!

I got my first tuition bill from NYCOM today... anyone else? how scary is that... I guess i'm official starting my life of debt. Anyone know if there is a way to post information about roommates on the school "meet" website. I only looked at it quick today and saw apartment listings, but I'd like a roommate and still don't know how to go about finding one. If anyone is in a similar position, i'm an instate female looking for someone to get an apartment with (preferably other females). I live like an hour from the school, so I can go look at places. PM me!

yeah, i got one of those bills too, but my fin aid didn't show up on it. guess my loans haven't gone through yet?

for roommates, a lot of people are using the NYCOM 2012 group on facebook to coordinate w people. i think the school's web board we were only given "read-only" access to.

You will get about 30 bills before the semester starts. Just ignore them. Your financial aid will eventually be reflected on them.

You will get about 30 bills before the semester starts. Just ignore them. Your financial aid will eventually be reflected on them.

thanks. freaked out for a few minutes there... :laugh:

Anyone have any idea whether NYCOM offers cheap copies of Microsoft office? My undergrad school provided those for about 15 dollars. I'm using open office right now.

Anyone have any idea whether NYCOM offers cheap copies of Microsoft office? My undergrad school provided those for about 15 dollars. I'm using open office right now.

Nope. But at theultimatesteal.com they were offering it for 60. It ended in april, but maybe it will begin again. All you needed was a valid .edu email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. But at theultimatesteal.com they were offering it for 60. It ended in april, but maybe it will begin again. All you needed was a valid .edu email.

Cool, Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try to get a copy from my undergrad school, I only graduated a few days ago.

for all the waitlisters. i spoke to nycom this week and they informed me that waitlist has not moved yet. They wouldn't tell me how many are on the waitlist, or when adcom will meet.

It comes to no surprise. It seems as though they are willing to give up nothing with regards to admission. I do not see the harm in letting people know their wait-list number, so to give them a chance to secure other possibilities as an alternative. Oh-well.

has anyone on the waitlist heard anything? i am knid of worried that class might be overfilled, due to the lack of movement of waitlist. :(

I have a feeling this waitlist will move slower than those at other because people are reluctant to say good-bye to their $1500 deposit if they do choose to turn down their acceptances.

Just to give all those accepted a heads up... join the facebook group! I'm thinking about finding a park close to the school and having a bring your own food picnic sort of thing so people can come and get to know one another maybe the weekend before orientation. (Like a class reunion... except less "re" and more just a union haha) Sounds like were getting thrown right into the workload so I thought it might be nice just to hang out, maybe get some sport games going, and bond as a class before the s*%# hits the fan. Any location suggestions PM me.

Just to give all those accepted a heads up... join the facebook group! I'm thinking about finding a park close to the school and having a bring your own food picnic sort of thing so people can come and get to know one another maybe the weekend before orientation. (Like a class reunion... except less "re" and more just a union haha) Sounds like were getting thrown right into the workload so I thought it might be nice just to hang out, maybe get some sport games going, and bond as a class before the s*%# hits the fan. Any location suggestions PM me.

totally down for this. make sure you suggest that on the fbook group.

Anyone want a roomate with a 5lb dog? He's cute.

I have a feeling this waitlist will move slower than those at other because people are reluctant to say good-bye to their $1500 deposit if they do choose to turn down their acceptances.

Eisenhower Park is ~15 min from the school, but it's gigantic, and super nice. Google it.

I'm thinking Eisenhower park may be our place... anyone know if BBQing and/or alcohol is allowed?

I'm thinking Eisenhower park may be our place... anyone know if BBQing and/or alcohol is allowed?

I believe they allow BBQ.... If I remember correctly, Alcohol requires a permit that must be obtained by a nassau county resident.

I believe they allow BBQ.... If I remember correctly, Alcohol requires a permit that must be obtained by a nassau county resident.

i think it'll be better to keep it sans-alcohol. if anyone wants to get a group together to go out afterwards, that would be the best.

is it possible to be in the DPC pathway and then switch over to the lecture based pathway during the year or even after 1st year is over? what about switching from mlecture to DPC? when do you have to decide which pathway you want ot take?

sorry, im sure these questions have been asked many times before.

is it possible to be in the DPC pathway and then switch over to the lecture based pathway during the year or even after 1st year is over? what about switching from mlecture to DPC? when do you have to decide which pathway you want ot take?

sorry, im sure these questions have been asked many times before.

You only can switch out after fundamentals (the first course) which both take together. After that, you follow such a different curriculum that there is no way to switch.

does anyone know if NYCOM provides lecture transcripts (the word for word records of professors) to students or if there are any in circulation? thanks.

does anyone know if NYCOM provides lecture transcripts (the word for word records of professors) to students or if there are any in circulation? thanks.

NYCOM is pretty much known for the fact that it has streaming video of every lecture. Also, the provide all ppts for dl and they print them out.

The handouts provided are not word-for-word transcripts of lecture. You will need to annotate your powerpoint/PDF printouts/etc. or make your own transcripts.

90-95% of the time the notes pretty much follow the lecture and you just need to make notes to clarify or highlight a topic. The streaming video allows for speeding up, slow down and pausing of lectures if that is still avaiable when you start classes.

You are given a hard copy of the powerpoint slides/note packet and access to a digital copy of it via the schools website. While there is no verbatim copy of what the professor says, you will have online access to the video of class.

I got a call from financial aid office. They said I have to do my master promissory note and finally chose the lender for a loan.
Anyone knows when is the due date for a payment? (I believed they must get money any time before the orientation starts.)

Also, anyone has a link to the thread about who is the best lender and what "master promissory note" exactly means? I could not find everything in finaid forums.

A Master Promissory Note is just the conditions of your loan and an agreement for how you have to pay it back. The signature is all electronic.

The Master Promissory note for the federal loans is on the NYCOM website -- http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_Financial_Aid.htm

A separate Master Promissory note must be signed for Grad Plus Loans which is through whatever lender you choose to go through. I looked into Chase, Wachovia, and Citibank, and Citibank had the best rates... all had 8.5% fixed rate interest but they had slightly better deals when it came to dropping the interest rate once you start paying back... I think it drops to like 7.75% as opposed to 7.9% (Chase). Dosen't seem like much, but it adds up. Hope that helps :)

Wait-list folks... talked to NYCOM today, and they said no movement off the waitlist as of yet. So what's the deal, is there any hope getting in? Or is this probably not going to happen, all things considered? I can't take the waiting!

Have waitlisted folks started filling out their apps again for next year?

Wait-list folks... talked to NYCOM today, and they said no movement off the waitlist as of yet. So what's the deal, is there any hope getting in? Or is this probably not going to happen, all things considered? I can't take the waiting!

Have waitlisted folks started filling out their apps again for next year?

I actually stopped up in admissions about a week ago since a friend of mine is waitlisted and I wanted to see if I could get any info. I was told the same thing, that there is no movement yet, but I was also told that there will most likely be movement in July and August. That's all I know...good luck guys and don't give up hope yet! Its not over until classes start!

A Master Promissory Note is just the conditions of your loan and an agreement for how you have to pay it back. The signature is all electronic.

The Master Promissory note for the federal loans is on the NYCOM website -- http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_Financial_Aid.htm

A separate Master Promissory note must be signed for Grad Plus Loans which is through whatever lender you choose to go through. I looked into Chase, Wachovia, and Citibank, and Citibank had the best rates... all had 8.5% fixed rate interest but they had slightly better deals when it came to dropping the interest rate once you start paying back... I think it drops to like 7.75% as opposed to 7.9% (Chase). Dosen't seem like much, but it adds up. Hope that helps :)

Thank you very much!
However, I am still not sure if signing of Master Promissory Note is an actual signing of a loan contract... After I sign MPN could I still not to take that loan or take it to pay for a different school?

Thank you very much!
However, I am still not sure if signing of Master Promissory Note is an actual signing of a loan contract... After I sign MPN could I still not to take that loan or take it to pay for a different school?

I'm guessing no, but the only way to find out is to call financial aid and ask them.

I just got a second bill from NYCOM. It's starting to make me a little nervous. I haven't heard anything about the loan being approved yet at all. Hopefully, this is still normal.

When should we expect to hear whether we're approved for the loan? Any current students remember?

I just got a second bill from NYCOM. It's starting to make me a little nervous. I haven't heard anything about the loan being approved yet at all. Hopefully, this is still normal.

When should we expect to hear whether we're approved for the loan? Any current students remember?

Don't sweat it. The same thing happened last year and by the time school starts the loans kick in and the bills disappear for a few months :)

You will get like a bill a week, most of them won't have your loan info on them. Ignore the bills, you'll get your financial aid, and enjoy your summer. Seriously.

thanx for the info.
I also was a little nerious. When should we receive a FinAid letter with loans/scholarships information?
Also, I submitted my Master Promissory Note for Stafford online. Do I also have to send a hard copy to the school or lender?

I finally got a letter saying that I've been approved for about $43,000 for the first year. Now I'm considering applying for a Grad PLUS loan to cover the cost of books, 'cause I didn't realize that I wouldn't get enough up until now :\.

I would appreciate it if someone can help me with answers to some questions.

Is it too late to apply for the Grad PLUS loan? How much does it generally cost for books per year? What lenders have people gone with? Are there huge negatives for taking a Grad PLUS loan?

I finally got a letter saying that I've been approved for about $43,000 for the first year. Now I'm considering applying for a Grad PLUS loan to cover the cost of books, 'cause I didn't realize that I wouldn't get enough up until now :\.

I would appreciate it if someone can help me with answers to some questions.

Is it too late to apply for the Grad PLUS loan? How much does it generally cost for books per year? What lenders have people gone with? Are there huge negatives for taking a Grad PLUS loan?

It depends how many books you plan on buying. Some books are a must like a dissector (Anatomy), Neters and/or Rohens(Anatomy), Moore and Dalley (Anatomy), Robbins (pathology) and others are a waste. Wait until you have a meeting with your big brother and or big sister (a second year, oh yeah that would be me.) during the first week of classes they will guide on what is essential and what are a waste of money. I believe you can take out grad plus anytime. I would just double check that with financial aid. It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars at most for all the books you will need for first and second year.

It depends how many books you plan on buying. Some books are a must like a dissector (Anatomy), Neters and/or Rohens(Anatomy), Moore and Dalley (Anatomy), Robbins (pathology) and others are a waste. Wait until you have a meeting with your big brother and or big sister (a second year, oh yeah that would be me.) during the first week of classes they will guide on what is essential and what are a waste of money. I believe you can take out grad plus anytime. I would just double check that with financial aid. It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars at most for all the books you will need for first and second year.

If it's going to cost less than a 1000, maybe I'll reconsider applying for the Grad PLUS. For some reason I thought it was going to cost a few thousand :\.

Do you know whether I'd be able to buy some of those books used on Amazon? If so, do you know where I can find a list of the exact book titles and editions? Are these books going to be limited to the first year, or are these the only ones needed for all four?

Thanks for your help Kappy!

If it's going to cost less than a 1000, maybe I'll reconsider applying for the Grad PLUS. For some reason I thought it was going to cost a few thousand :\.

Do you know whether I'd be able to buy some of those books used on Amazon? If so, do you know where I can find a list of the exact book titles and editions? Are these books going to be limited to the first year, or are these the only ones needed for all four?

Thanks for your help Kappy!

You can get all the books on amazon (or half.com). You'll get a list at orientation. You really won't need books right away, so waiting for them to ship will be fine.
Just curious, if you're not taking out Grad Plus at all, how are you affording to live?

You can get all the books on amazon (or half.com). You'll get a list at orientation. You really won't need books right away, so waiting for them to ship will be fine.
Just curious, if you're not taking out Grad Plus at all, how are you affording to live?

Thanks for the info!

I live on Long Island with my family, so I will be commuting from my parents' home. Fortunately med school is a pretty stress free transition for me in that aspect =). They would pay for my books too if they knew I needed it, but I just feel really bad spending their money.

I still did not get my letter from FinAid office. I got two bills for the 1-st semester tuition but I ignore them for now.
Is there anyone who has not received FinAid letters yet?

I also have not. Don't be worried. I spoke to FinAid yesterday and they said they have just begun packaging our class and that we should hear from them within 1-2 weeks. The director who does this is on vacation now also so that is delaying the process for some people who haven't already gotten theirs. This is assuming all your paperwork is in order.