NYCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
from reading some of the posts i am getting that it took most people 3 weeks to get their acceptaces/rejections. I am getting kinda nervous, I interviewed there on the 26th of march. How did the envelope look (was a big envelope or small haha). Have they started waitlisting people yet? I am instate so thats a plus i guess :cool:...

Members don't see this ad.

Big white envelope, with NYCOM NYIT in blue lettering printed on the top left.

haha thanks... so i guess i know what to look out for

Members don't see this ad :)
do you receive the financial aid packet from NYCOM after you submit your FAFSA?

I submitted my FAFSA about a month and a half ago and just got the financial aid packet this week... i don't know if that helps

Hi, guys,
I am one of those lucky ones who received the FinAid letter recently. :luck:

Guys, what does that Master Promissory Note we have to complete exactly mean?
After filling it out is it a must to take a loan for this particular school?
Please, let me know... :)

i didnt submit the fafsa and i got my fin aid packet last week

To those accepted, what are you going to choose as your lender for the Stafford unsubsidized loans? and why?

Is everyone just going with NYCOM as their lender?

I did. It seems easiest and NYCOM sells it to SallieMae, which is the biggest loan company or something like that (it owns like 1/3rd of all student loans)

i will be going through NYCOM for Stafford. does NYCOM have a list of preferred lenders for Grad PLUS loans?

does anyone know what the interest rates are for going through NYCOM? And how does that compare with other lenders... looks like i have some research to do this weekend

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up NYCOMmers. A few months ago I was asking if I had a chance applying late in the cycle. Now, with my interview in less than a week, I'm pondering that same question. I think its a great sign that NYCOM offered me an interview so quickly (even before they recieved a letter of rec from the DO I work for), but nonetheless, I'm worried my chances are still slim. They probably are, since its so late in the game. I guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement. Some of that "anything can happen" attitude to make me feel loose and confident prior to my interview. If any of you guys could provide that, or give me a realistic assesment of my chances I'd really appreciate it.

On a side note I really would like all of you who have been accepted, have applied and are still waiting, or have interviewed and are still waiting to know that I really am very appreciative of this opportunity. I'm not in any way trying to cheapen your experiences by obsessing about mine. I hope that you all get a shot and I wish you luck. Thanks!

i think the fact that they offered you an interview should give you some confidence (acceptance ratio after interview if im not mistaken is pretty good) . they have reviewed your file, so they obviously think you're a good candidate for NYCOM. the interview really is just for them to get to know you a little better, tell you about/show you the school, and basically make sure theres a person behind the application. be yourself, be confident, and im sure you'll be fine. good luck, your still in it.

What's up NYCOMmers. A few months ago I was asking if I had a chance applying late in the cycle. Now, with my interview in less than a week, I'm pondering that same question. I think its a great sign that NYCOM offered me an interview so quickly (even before they recieved a letter of rec from the DO I work for), but nonetheless, I'm worried my chances are still slim. They probably are, since its so late in the game. I guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement. Some of that "anything can happen" attitude to make me feel loose and confident prior to my interview. If any of you guys could provide that, or give me a realistic assesment of my chances I'd really appreciate it.

On a side note I really would like all of you who have been accepted, have applied and are still waiting, or have interviewed and are still waiting to know that I really am very appreciative of this opportunity. I'm not in any way trying to cheapen your experiences by obsessing about mine. I hope that you all get a shot and I wish you luck. Thanks!

Everything happens for a reason.
You got this interview, fate brought you 3/4 of the way. It's up to you to be yourself (as said before), be true to what you believe, and know why you want this...
Best of luck - and don't stop believing (listen to the song)

Everything happens for a reason.
You got this interview, fate brought you 3/4 of the way. It's up to you to be yourself (as said before), be true to what you believe, and know why you want this...
Best of luck - and don't stop believing (listen to the song)

That's what my Aunt keeps telling me! She has been one of my biggest cheerleaders in this whole process and I can thank her, in part, for making me seriously interested in NYCOM. She put me in contact with a recent grad who is doing a surgical residency. Thanks for the encouragement! :thumbup:

That's what my Aunt keeps telling me! She has been one of my biggest cheerleaders in this whole process and I can thank her, in part, for making me seriously interested in NYCOM. She put me in contact with a recent grad who is doing a surgical residency. Thanks for the encouragement! :thumbup:

No problem, definitely post when you had the interview! good luck

So......has anyone gotten acceptance letters this past week?

I'm wondering when their most recent adcom meeting was/will be.

nothing yet, interviewed 3/26,

Is it too early to call? It will be 3 weeks tomorrow....

anyone else interview on the 3/13, 3/26, 3/27 hear anything?

hey this wait is killing me, i guess no one has heard from nycom for a while. I am fighting all my urges not to call nycom. It has been 3 weeks of no response for me. It would be helpful if someone knew when the next adcom meeting is. Good luck to everyone. Did any one call nycom in 3-4 week range? I know during the interview the coordinator tells you not to call before a month. She also jokingly stated that if you do she will put your file on the bottom. Dont know if she was really joking haha...

hey this wait is killing me, i guess no one has heard from nycom for a while. I am fighting all my urges not to call nycom. It has been 3 weeks of no response for me. It would be helpful if someone knew when the next adcom meeting is. Good luck to everyone. Did any one call nycom in 3-4 week range? I know during the interview the coordinator tells you not to call before a month. She also jokingly stated that if you do she will put your file on the bottom. Dont know if she was really joking haha...

For what it's worth, I interviewed last year on 3/24 and it took me 8 weeks to hear something....

What's up folks? Had my NYCOM interview yesterday. It was a really laid back, stress-free experience. My interviewer was great and I liked the campus. Now I join the line of students waiting to hear back. Good luck to all of you guys, I hope we all get a shot!

What's up folks? Had my NYCOM interview yesterday. It was a really laid back, stress-free experience. My interviewer was great and I liked the campus. Now I join the line of students waiting to hear back. Good luck to all of you guys, I hope we all get a shot!

You guys had a great day to interview. They should have taken you guys over to get a burger from the bbq instead of the wraps/sandwiches they normally serve :laugh:.

Thank God the weather's been so nice lately!! :thumbup:

You guys had a great day to interview. They should have taken you guys over to get a burger from the bbq instead of the wraps/sandwiches they normally serve :laugh:.

Thank God the weather's been so nice lately!! :thumbup:

Yeah man it was great out. One student told us you have bbq's everyday when we walked by, lol.

Does anyone have any clue how full the class is? I remember the woman from financial aid saying that the class is "almost full." I wonder how many seats are left? My interviewer said that there are something like 305 seats this class.

Where are all of you NYCOMer's today? I was wondering about the waitlist. Anyone here on it? I hear that it has lots of movement. Because of the tardiness of my recent interview I'm starting to think my best chance is waitlist. Hoping for the best, but I know it's a long shot. Any responses would be appreciated. Wish me luck!

If they do end up making a waitlist i'm sure they'll be a ton of movement. May 15th is a big day for people holding multiple acceptances at allopathic schools, though i'm not sure that date has any connection to osteopathic schools. But if people are waitlisted at allopathic school and holding spots at osteopathic ones, thats gonna cause some movement. I'm currently waitlisted at VCU and accepted at NYCOM. So once waitlist movement starts, who knows whats gonna happen (though I am leaning toward NYCOM... I don't know if I can handle the southern lifestyle)

they havent made a decision on people for a while, i am still waiting... sigh

Where are all of you NYCOMer's today? I was wondering about the waitlist. Anyone here on it? I hear that it has lots of movement. Because of the tardiness of my recent interview I'm starting to think my best chance is waitlist. Hoping for the best, but I know it's a long shot. Any responses would be appreciated. Wish me luck!

Good luck MetalMD! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who registered a user name on here with "MD" at the end but ending up opting for Osteopathy! I wish you all the best of luck. Are you a resident of NY? If so what part? I'm from Eastern Long Island myself.

There is always a lot of movement from the waitlist. I know of several people in our class (2010) who got accepted off the waitlist right up until the week before orientation. It is a little tough when it comes to finding housing, but there is definitely still time to get accepted! Good Luck!

Is there a deadline for the online loan application if you're going with NYCOM as the lender? Also, how do you know whether they approve your application? and how long does this process take? Just wondering if I should start worrying about filling that out right away. Thanks!

Is there a deadline for the online loan application if you're going with NYCOM as the lender? Also, how do you know whether they approve your application? and how long does this process take? Just wondering if I should start worrying about filling that out right away. Thanks!

I'm not sure, I am being so lazy. But I need to get out of this rut, lol.
I think it's still early???

Is there a deadline for the online loan application if you're going with NYCOM as the lender? Also, how do you know whether they approve your application? and how long does this process take? Just wondering if I should start worrying about filling that out right away. hanks!

i dont know the answers to much of these questions, but usually your part is to fill out the forms and sign the online master promissary notes. they email you when your stuff is complete (literally, the email says "your portion of the work has been completed").

i've filled out my info online for stafford and grad plus, but i think i'm just ahead of everyone. you still have some time.

i dont know the answers to much of these questions, but usually your part is to fill out the forms and sign the online master promissary notes. they email you when your stuff is complete (literally, the email says "your portion of the work has been completed").

i've filled out my info online for stafford and grad plus, but i think i'm just ahead of everyone. you still have some time.

If you don't mind answering, which lender did you choose for gradplus? I did my stafford, but I am still looking for any good deals for gradplus.

I see that some people interviewed last week, i was just wondering if anyone knew when NYCOM was planning to stop interviewing/if they are still inviting to interview? Just wondering for a good friend of mine who has yet to hear, as i'm trying to hold out hope for her since she's a great candidate.

I see that some people interviewed last week, i was just wondering if anyone knew when NYCOM was planning to stop interviewing/if they are still inviting to interview? Just wondering for a good friend of mine who has yet to hear, as i'm trying to hold out hope for her since she's a great candidate.

i was told that thursday is the last interview date

does anyone know if the class is full or not?

ok so I just called...and was told that a decision has been made and my letter was sent out THIS MORNING. I guess I'll be finding out in a day or two :scared:

Their adcom meeting was most likely last week.

ok so I just called...and was told that a decision has been made and my letter was sent out THIS MORNING. I guess I'll be finding out in a day or two :scared:

Their adcom meeting was most likely last week.

When did you interview?? I interviewed last wednesday. Good luck!!

to all you guys who are still waiting, good luck! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

thanks serbatron. With any luck I may see you on campus in the fall! :thumbup:

i have not gotten my letter in the mail yet, interviewed about a month ago, if u get denied is their any way to appeal or not

you haven't been denied yet.... so don't worry about it yet. Nycom can take 1 week to get back to you or 2 months and it's totally random.

hey peterish have you heard anything back yet?

i have not gotten my letter in the mail yet, interviewed about a month ago, if u get denied is their any way to appeal or not

If you haven't already done this, I think it would be better to write a letter ASAP to NYCOM before they make the decision. I haven't really heard of anyone appealing a decision, or whether it's possible.

Good Luck! =)

Just because you haven't gotten a letter, does not mean you've been denied. They can just be super slow sometimes.
In the event that you do get a flat out rejection, I would say there isn't a chance to appeal. If you were "border-line" where pleading your case would get them to "change their mind," you would be put on the wait-list, not get rejected. Knowing NYCOM though... they don't change their mind about things. I don't want to sound like a downer, especially because you haven't even gotten a response yet, but just for anyone who may have already got a rejection and read your question and thought "hey, maybe i can appeal."