NYCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow I got waitlisted. What does this mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I got waitlisted. What does this mean?

It means that the school has put you on a list of candidates it would accept, but there are potentially other candidates before you. Your movement up the list depends on many factors, but primarily how many people above you on the list accept or decline their NYCOM acceptances.

Hmm ok I still think my chances are pretty good, given that my stats are not bad:

32M, 3.66

Thanks to yall who messaged me, I guess we will see.

Members don't see this ad :)
those are very competitive stats, i would call nycom and try to figure out why.

Hmm ok I still think my chances are pretty good, given that my stats are not bad:

32M, 3.66

Thanks to yall who messaged me, I guess we will see.
user_offline.gif

I have a feeling that with your stats they probably thought you were using them as a back up school, and not seriously considering them. If you're really interested in the school, you should probably make it very clear to them. Send letters etc. Maybe even speak to a higher up on the phone, if that's possible.

Edit: Woops, quoted the wrong person

I have to mail in a form to confirm that I wish to be on the waitlist.

Last edited:
If it's youre #1 choice and you intend to go there if they accept you, I'd send a letter of intent stating that. I sent a LOI the day after my interview because I knew it's where I wanted to be and when I called in to see if they received it, admissions said "we got your letter, good" as in it was a smart thing to do.

I have a feeling that with your stats they probably thought you were using them as a back up school, and not seriously considering them. If you're really interested in the school, you should probably make it very clear to them. Send letters etc. Maybe even speak to a higher up on the phone, if that's possible.

Edit: Woops, quoted the wrong person

I tend to agree with this under the condition that you did not bomb your interview completely.

wow i am even more nervous now, it does not look good for me (3.63 26o) :(. I guess no one knows if the class is full or not. They told me there is another meeting next week, so alot of people will hear back next week or the week after.

I am debating reapplying or going to Touro NY. Anybody have an opinion on that? I really wanted to go to NYCOM.

hehe Didn't mean to make ya more nervous man. We shall see

wow i am even more nervous now, it does not look good for me (3.63 26o) :(. I guess no one knows if the class is full or not. They told me there is another meeting next week, so alot of people will hear back next week or the week after.

I am debating reapplying or going to Touro NY. Anybody have an opinion on that? I really wanted to go to NYCOM.

Most will agree that giving up an acceptance to reapply next year would be possibly the stupidest thing you could ever do in the application game.

but you've got to stop playing the numbers game... if you dont know where you are on the waitlist, and you've already had your interview, and you've sent in a nicely written LOI, you've done what you can. you don't know what they're thinking at this point, just hope for the best! its a struggle, but many students who were waitlisted get in. just dont give up until you get a clear "no" from them.

Most will agree that giving up an acceptance to reapply next year would be possibly the stupidest thing you could ever do in the application game.

exactly. what if you're #2 on the list and #1 just decided to go somewhere else? you never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they rank students within the waitlist? Based on stats?

hey thanks to everyone who offered me advice. All i can do is wait, good luck to everyone who is waiting.

Btw: i heard that nycom dose not tell you if they rank the waitlist or not, so i dont think anyone knows

Go to touro NY, don't wait another year.

You will reach your goals if you work hard in medical school, and in that sense, nycom, touro ny, or Mount sinai , is all the same.

Go to touro NY, don't wait another year.

You will reach your goals if you work hard in medical school, and in that sense, nycom, touro ny, or Mount sinai , is all the same.

I second this. Last year I was waitlisted and prepped to go to Touro-NY. I was taken off the waitlist at NYCOM on July 1st. It sucks to lose the deposit, but it sucks even more to lose a year.

I know it probably won't ease your worries much, but the NYCOM waitlist moves a TON. I have several classmates who were waitlistees (including myself). Good luck!

Any more updates on people who interviewed end of march? I interviewed 3/27... well over 4 weeks ago, and they told us 3-4 weeks. Put a phone call in, but assistant director out of the office.

So anyone else finding out?

there is adcom meeting comming up this week, so you might find out at the end of this week or early next week.

So I hear there is an adcom meeting this week. Does anybody know when? I hope its at the beginning of the week. Sent in an LOI, hoping for the best. Good luck to everyone!

I am a high school senior entering the 7 year BS/DO program @ NYIT/NYCOM I really like the DO idea but everyone I talk to is always looking down upon saying that it is not as rigorous as allopathic medicine and there is a lack of prestige and although I do not care it still bothers me a little bit because I heard it is harder to get a job as a DO in certain specialities. I plan to do Radiology..Is it true that it is harder to get a job and a residency in certain areas as a DO? I really like the program so it should be good!

I am a high school senior entering the 7 year BS/DO program @ NYIT/NYCOM I really like the DO idea but everyone I talk to is always looking down upon saying that it is not as rigorous as allopathic medicine and there is a lack of prestige and although I do not care it still bothers me a little bit because I heard it is harder to get a job as a DO in certain specialities. I plan to do Radiology..Is it true that it is harder to get a job and a residency in certain areas as a DO? I really like the program so it should be good!

I hate to think that I'm feeding the troll... But I'm going on faith and saying you aren't one, since this seems to be a legit question:

There are tons of threads about this, so you should search it if you have serious concerns. Futhermore I would say that it was a bit hasty for you to enter this BS/DO program if you weren't entirely sure about medicine. Because that is what you will eventually learn: Medicine. The bolded section of your quoted post is entirely untrue. If anything it is more rigorous because not only do you have to learn everything the allopathic students learn, you also have to learn OMM. Additional training and additional study mean more hard work and dedication. Also, there is no prestige lost amongst colleagues and peers pursuing osteopathic medicine. Once again in America DO is equivalent to MD. Different, but equivalent. The only problem you may come across may be educating your patients, but you want to be a Radiologist so you won't see many of those

As far as becoming a radiologist is concerned, if you want that so badly then you can achieve it. DOs practice in all scopes and specialties in medicine. Radiology is a competitive field no matter how you slice it. Because of that you are going to have to be a rockstar whether it be at an allopathic or osteopathic school. I suggest you hit up the AOA website or google osteopathic medicine if you need more information. Good luck.

Coming from NYCOM you can get into any residency program in the country. (including Havard, Hopkins, Yale, etc..) People don't know what they are talking about. NYCOM is just as rigirous any of the allopathic schools in the country if not more so. Most allopathic school have retakes for students that fail. NYCOM doesn't. If you fail a course you remediate it if you fail two you are gone from the school. You screw up two tests well enough good by medical carrer. On top of allopathic medicine you need to learn OMM granted it is not necessarly hard information but it is still more to know and requires time to study it and understand it.

DO's are mainly looked down upon by pre-meds more than anyone else. Let your medical skills do the talking not the letters on your white coat. Admission standards at NYCOM are climing and our applicant pool is climbing every year. If you want to practice in a specialty you can get it as long as you apply yourself. The prestige issue will change with time. It is predicted that DO's will make up 20% of all of US medical graduates by 2020.

In terms of getting a job it is not harder the US has a doctor shortage. Two of our students were accepted this year allopathically to radiology while 4-5 went osteopathically. Two allopathic: one was accepted to Yale and the other was accepted to Temple university. We had a derm student accepted to Monitifore (AECOM). Last year we had a student accepted to Peds harvard, general surgery at John Hopkins and IM at Baylor university. Our students are accepted all over the country into top programs. You get the scores and practice good medicine your degree name (DO vs. MD) is meaningless. Hope this helps ease your concerns.

If you have any questons please PM me.

I'm sure this question has already been asked, but for those of you who have been accepted, how did you hear?? By mail? By phone? What did the envelope look like? Did the Admissions office leave you a message? Just curious...

I'm sure this question has already been asked, but for those of you who have been accepted, how did you hear?? By mail? By phone? What did the envelope look like? Did the Admissions office leave you a message? Just curious...

in the mail, large envelope if i remember...

How important is it to submit a LOI? When did this become an official thing to do?

How important is it to submit a LOI? When did this become an official thing to do?

A Med school's main goal is to fill spots in their class. LOI serves as a way of assuring them that this will be done by you. For most people who are accepted, it probably doesn't matter whether they send one or not. It will just give you some edge when compared with an applicant with similar stats/ECs as you.
However, this is not really legally binding. With the number of posts I've been seeing about people writing LOIs to multiple schools, I think the affect of a LOI will be close to none soon.

Hey thank you very muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Kappy1. this very assuring and I am excited to enter the BS/DO in the fall..thank you very much you have most definately eased my concerns. I love NYCOM and the BS/DO so it should be good! Thank you very much. Do you haven any advice towards the undergrad life @ NYIT?

hey anyone hear anything back yet? or did someone call and find out if a decision has been made. I am afraid to call since i have already called them a couple times :(

hey anyone hear anything back yet? or did someone call and find out if a decision has been made. I am afraid to call since i have already called them a couple times :(

When did you interview? How many times have you called? I have been waiting just over two weeks now and I am starting to get a little anxious. I know in the grand scheme of things 2 weeks isn't a long time, but I can't help it. I've been checking my mail everyday. I keep hearing there is an adcom meeting this week. Hopefully we will hear something next week. I've had the urge to call but didn't know what I would say. What did you say when you called?

The actual acceptance letter actually comes in a plain standard size white envelope, so don't have a heart attack if you get that, thinking it's a rejection. A short while after the acceptance letter, you will get a large NYCOM envelope enclosing a bunch of forms that you will have to fill out and return. Good luck!

It's been a month since I completed the stafford (NYCOM) loan application. I just checked it today and it still shows "application completed, in process". What about you guys? Is this normal? :confused:

same here. don't worry. I think it will be like this until nycom makes our financial aid packages, which should be some time soon.

same here. don't worry. I think it will be like this until nycom makes our financial aid packages, which should be some time soon.

my financial aid package just came in the mail today so i'm sure the ones for your class aren't too far behind.

what financial aid packages? All we had to do was fill the financial aid application papers and FAFSA and sign the master promissory note, and the school gets the money when the classes start right?

Hey fellow NYCOMer's I have been using the forums and stuff as a reference before my interview but never joined and today I decided to take the leap. I got my acceptance letter March 26 just filled out my Fin. aid stuff this past weekend gonna be real cheap...:D

Has anyone found an academic calendar for next year? I know orientation starts Aug 18th, but does anyone have any details on how long it is and when the actual classes start?

Thanks very much

what financial aid packages? All we had to do was fill the financial aid application papers and FAFSA and sign the master promissory note, and the school gets the money when the classes start right?

yes but you'll get a letter saying how much money is coming from x y z and how much the total is. it's a summary of your whole package.

Hey fellow NYCOMer's I have been using the forums and stuff as a reference before my interview but never joined and today I decided to take the leap. I got my acceptance letter March 26 just filled out my Fin. aid stuff this past weekend gonna be real cheap...:D

Has anyone found an academic calendar for next year? I know orientation starts Aug 18th, but does anyone have any details on how long it is and when the actual classes start?

Thanks very much

orientation for us was 1.5 days. if they're keeping it the same, you'll have class starting tuesday (19th) afternoon.

orientation for us was 1.5 days. if they're keeping it the same, you'll have class starting tuesday (19th) afternoon.

wow, so the first day has no classes at all? why is the orientation so long?

Wait till you see how big the line is to take your photo for your ID card :laugh:

can we bring props? in my undergrad, there was an informal contest among the students as to what they could incorporate into their student ID photos. balloon hats, cafeteria food, dumbbells... it was great.

wow, so the first day has no classes at all? why is the orientation so long?

That's long? Orientation used to be like 3 or 4 days. They cut it down to 1 day, basically it's an intro to the school, and you get your id and your parking pass and stuff. Then wednesday you'll have a lunch and meet with the 2nd years to get a "big bro/big sis"

That's long? Orientation used to be like 3 or 4 days. They cut it down to 1 day, basically it's an intro to the school, and you get your id and your parking pass and stuff. Then wednesday you'll have a lunch and meet with the 2nd years to get a "big bro/big sis"

i hope my big bro/sis is rad.

Wait till you see how big the line is to take your photo for your ID card :laugh:

i sincerely hope that they have streamlined that process. standing in line for 4 hours was not my idea of a good time.

anyone hear anything yet? i know metalmd is still waiting. it has been 6 weeks for me without a response, all i am hoping for is a waitlist at this point. :(

i sincerely hope that they have streamlined that process. standing in line for 4 hours was not my idea of a good time.

My year they let us go the friday before. If they give you this option, take it!

anyone hear anything yet? i know metalmd is still waiting. it has been 6 weeks for me without a response, all i am hoping for is a waitlist at this point. :(

...also waiting...very impatiently lol

For those of you have done stafford loan application, I am wondering which lender did you guys choose for the Gradplus? Please pm me. THanks. :thumbup: