NYCPM # of externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JEWmongous

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Can anyone comment about the number of externships available at NYCPM? I understood there were 3 and then they added an extra 2 week one (so 3 1/2 externships). However, the website lists four 4 credit externships... so you could extern at 4 different hospitals.

Also, how many of these are before residency interviews?

What about the senior surgery rotation at West Penn or UNDMJ? Is that 1 month or 2? I read you need a certain GPA to do this.

Finally, I'm interested in the new 2 month program in Israel. I was not sure if this counts as the senior surgery rotation. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
 
Hello,

Can anyone comment about the number of externships available at NYCPM? I understood there were 3 and then they added an extra 2 week one (so 3 1/2 externships). However, the website lists four 4 credit externships... so you could extern at 4 different hospitals.

Also, how many of these are before residency interviews?

What about the senior surgery rotation at West Penn or UNDMJ? Is that 1 month or 2? I read you need a certain GPA to do this.

Finally, I'm interested in the new 2 month program in Israel. I was not sure if this counts as the senior surgery rotation. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know you can extern at 3 programs for a month each all before CRIPs (interviews) the 2 week may come after CRIPs. In addition if you are in the top 20% or so, you can spend a month at UMDNJ or west penn instead of one of the 2 months that are suposed to be spent at the school for senior surgery. If you want to go to westpenn and UMDNJ one will have to be an externship month.

I am not sure how the israel months work.

so leaving israel out of it you can have a total of 4.5 months of externships if you are in the top(ish) of the class.

Also, if the month is 5 weeks long and you are on an externship you will get a week off and you can use that for visiting other programs in the area. you can always ask for days off of programs to visit other programs as well.