NYMC vs Western University Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikes_is_not_a_girl_drink

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have had the fortunate opportunity to be accepted to both programs. I live in California and my family currently lives here as well. I know that WesternU has a great reputation in California. As for NYMC, I have heard mixed reviews and cannot seem to find how well it is ranked. Am I going to be put at that much of a disadvantage by attending my home state osteopathic program over an allopathic? Especially if I am applying to residency well after the merger.

Members don't see this ad.

If your privileged enough to get an MD acceptance in the US you take it all day. I too, am a California Resident and have been accepted to Western COMP and an OOS MD school.I didn't even hesitate in my decision to attend the OOS MD. Do not fool yourself, MD>>>>>DO *for the most part* MD will open more doors for you residency wise, and NYMC isn't a bad school, getting out of the state won't hurt ya :) theres really more to the world than in n out, high gas prices, traffic, smog.

Not that rankings matter too much, ill answer your question.
Startclass.com ranks NYMC #86 and Western COMP #140

Read this.

OSUCOM vs. OUHCOM-Dublin

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Stay in-state closer to family and friends and likely end up at a community residency in CA (if that's your desired location)? Or live across the country for at least four years to get two different letters after your name and ultimately make the same salary anyways?

If you don't care about being in CA the next four years, could be a fun adventure to leave for NY! If you really like the idea of staying in CA, the WesternU path leads to becoming a physician too. Not to mention being closer to family and friends is a plus for most people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As lovely as California is, I think that NYMC is the better choice. Think of it this way: what if you fall in love with a really competitive specialty that not many DO's match into? You might be trading four years in California for the opportunity to practice a specialty you love for the rest of your life. If you think primary care is the path for you, Western would be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you fall in love with a really competitive specialty, you’ll have to work your butt off and truly, truly excel no matter if MD or DO school. That’s why it’s called “really competitive”...SDN overstates the amount of people who actually want to be in and actually get into these specialties. The majority of people go into primary care. Not that you have to be in that majority, just stating the reality as opposed to SDN perception.

This has nothing to do with being politically correct...

But you're right. They're not the same in that they have different degrees. Though they work the same jobs and make the same amount of money, which are things that actually matter in the real working world, as opposed to prestige.

Alas, I was just pointing out that the majority of students want to and do go into primary care. On top of that, a large portion of that majority look forward to and are happy working in a community (non-academic) setting. If OP falls in this large bucket, then he/she shouldn't feel a need to go across the country for two different letters after his/her name when she/he has the rare option of studying medicine in his/her home state.

Last edited:
So I have had the fortunate opportunity to be accepted to both programs. I live in California and my family currently lives here as well. I know that WesternU has a great reputation in California. As for NYMC, I have heard mixed reviews and cannot seem to find how well it is ranked. Am I going to be put at that much of a disadvantage by attending my home state osteopathic program over an allopathic? Especially if I am applying to residency well after the merger.

You should go to NYMC if you want to keep all doors open for residency.

Reactions: 1 users