NYT: Employers increasingly rely on internal referrals in hiring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Article link

In Hiring, a Friend in Need Is a Prospect, Indeed

Excerpt said:
Among corporate recruiters, Mr. Sullivan said, random applicants from Internet job sites are sometimes referred to as “Homers,” after the lackadaisical, doughnut-eating Homer Simpson. The most desirable candidates, nicknamed “purple squirrels” because they are so elusive, usually come recommended.

“We call it Monster.ugly,” said Mr. Sullivan, referring to Monster.com. “In the H.R. world, applicants from Monster or other job boards carry a stigma.”

Kind of what we've intuitively known for a while...who you know makes a HUGE difference on whether you get hired or not. I know this is mostly finance/corp related, but it probably applies to pharmacy as well.

Stories, anyone? Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of what we've intuitively known for a while...who you know makes a HUGE difference on whether you get hired or not. I know this is mostly finance/corp related, but it probably applies to pharmacy as well.

Stories, anyone? Discuss.

Present job excluded, every other job I've gotten since my paper route was because I knew someone within the company/school where I landed.

Who you know absolutely matters.

Yes it helps if your dad is the DOP or CEO of Walgreens. LOL...but I don't think you can really choose those sorts of things.

My uncle knew someone that got me a job right away as an intern at Walmart in Atlanta. They received tons of applications b/c it's in Atlanta. I got the job through my uncle...but I fail their screening test. :(

I had to retake the test and by that time they had already hire someone else...so I had to work in Rome that summer. SUCKED big time.

Anyone know how crappy Rome, GA is? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it helps if your dad is the DOP or CEO of Walgreens. LOL...but I don't think you can really choose those sorts of things.

I don't think you even need that...if you're a reliable technician at my place of work and you refer someone, they get bumped to the top of the pile (assuming their resume isn't riddled with errors or something blatant).

My uncle knew someone that got me a job right away as an intern at Walmart in Atlanta. They received tons of applications b/c it's in Atlanta. I got the job through my uncle...but I fail their screening test. :(

I had to retake the test and by that time they had already hire someone else...so I had to work in Rome that summer. SUCKED big time.

Anyone know how crappy Rome, GA is? lol

How do you fail a Walmart screening test? Serious question. Is it that ethics based questioning that they force everyone to take?

How do you fail a Walmart screening test? Serious question. Is it that ethics based questioning that they force everyone to take?

I usually like to put neural as my answer.

I also don't like to tell on other people...if I see someone lazy at work...OH WELL. I don't care...but the correct answer is TELL YOUR BOSS. Stuff like that I didn't do well on.

They don't like neural answers...they prefer STRONGLY agree or STRONGLY disagree...I didn't put any of those.

I usually like to put neural as my answer.

I also don't like to tell on other people...if I see someone lazy at work...OH WELL. I don't care...but the correct answer is TELL YOUR BOSS. Stuff like that I didn't do well on.

They don't like neural answers...they prefer STRONGLY agree or STRONGLY disagree...I didn't put any of those.

:confused: If you were putting neural as your answer, I can totally see why you failed. :confused:

:confused: If you were putting neural as your answer, I can totally see why you failed. :confused:

Wow I am so sorry. I mean neutral.

For those screening test all your answers should be strongly agree or strongly disagree...putting neutral on most of them will cause you to fail.

Thank Owlegrad! He helped me pass my exam! :) I would not have gotten a job without him. :thumbup:

aren't you kinda old to be so petty? just saying ;P

Don't know. What's the maximum age limit?

All kidding aside, many employers place a high value on communication. A spelling error that changes the meaning of a word, and it repeated multiple times in the same document, isn't really a small thing.

Wow I am so sorry. I mean neutral.

For those screening test all your answers should be strongly agree or strongly disagree...putting neutral on most of them will cause you to fail.

Thank Owlegrad! He helped me pass my exam! :) I would not have gotten a job without him. :thumbup:

I hope you sent him some flowers or chocolates for that!

Or you could buy him a dress. I bet he looks good in Herve Leger, what do you think? :D

Don't mention it. Please.

:love:

I hope you sent him some flowers or chocolates for that!

Or you could buy him a dress. I bet he looks good in Herve Leger, what do you think? :D

I wish I had that dress to loan him...I sold it and LOST over $500 too. :(

I'll post HEARTS on his wall on Facebook if he wants. :D