NYU-Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
plaque said:
Did anybody send out their deposits yet?

Is anyone not planning on sending in thier deposits for NYU ????!!! :)
Please, call and tell them you are not going to attend if you don't plan on it.
Thanks.

Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

dentwannabe said:
Firstly, who is that in the picture?

hah, jk

You're from Matawan? I go to Rutgers, I'll be applying to UMDNJ and NYU as well. I'm looking at your stats and I'm just curious.. you don't have to answer this if you don't want to.. but.. Did you not get accepted to UMDNJ? How was your interview, and so forth? Did you apply late? I mean your stats look pretty good to me, with great dat scores.

I'm curious cuz I have a science gpa around yours and I'm hoping for a good DAT score.

Thanks

I received an invite, but for personal reasons I decided not to go to the interview. Besides, I was already accepted to NYU, and I was tired from the whole application process. Make sure you apply early because it takes AADSAS about a decade to get all the paperwork sent out to your schools.

Good Luck

Sent in my deposit for housing (1000). I just checked the one for private bedroom in shared studio. How much more specific can you be? Also sent in my physical exam stuff and I am about to send in the 1000 for the may 1 deadline. SO MUCH MONEY!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental916 said:
Sent in my deposit for housing (1000). I just checked the one for private bedroom in shared studio. How much more specific can you be? Also sent in my physical exam stuff and I am about to send in the 1000 for the may 1 deadline. SO MUCH MONEY!

im filling out my housing application right now, what did you check for Degree? all it lists is Masters and Ph.D also what is the month of the graduation date? May 2009? thanks

I haven't done my health paper work or the sent out the $2000. Plan on taking care of all of that in the next few weeks. I figure the money is more important since the health stuff isn't due till June 3. I'm kind of nervous sending $2000 in the mail like that, I'd rather pack it in a briefcase and bring it over to them, then have them count it in front of me. I could just UPS it.

MitchSE-R said:
im filling out my housing application right now, what did you check for Degree? all it lists is Masters and Ph.D also what is the month of the graduation date? May 2009? thanks

I just checked masters i believe. I shoulda called them to ask...but oh well. I am pretty surethe graduation is may 2009. let me know if u find something else out.

hey guys,

i was wondering if anyone received an interview invite recently? Also, how do they notify you about the interview (e.g. phone, email, letter?) I'm still waiting to hear from them, but it looks like they're slowing down. I applied a bit late, but i still have some hope.

Letter....

By the way....anyone know if the waitlist has moved?....

EkksDee said:
hey guys,

i was wondering if anyone received an interview invite recently? Also, how do they notify you about the interview (e.g. phone, email, letter?) I'm still waiting to hear from them, but it looks like they're slowing down. I applied a bit late, but i still have some hope.

aznsfla said:
Letter....

By the way....anyone know if the waitlist has moved?....

Sadly, I don't think it moves.

Seriously??...i thought it was one of the faster moving waitlists....

Dentist 2 be said:
Sadly, I don't think it moves.

aznsfla said:
Seriously??...i thought it was one of the faster moving waitlists....

I think they just keep interviewing if people withdraw. Honestly, I don't know one person who has ever gotten off the waitlist and if there are any...speak up now ...pleaseeee. i'm dying to know if you're out there.

I also heard that the waitlist gets carried over to the next year. lol

Does NYU have a minimum DAT requirement? I think I read somewhere on here that they require a minimum of 18's on the DAT. Is this true? Has anyone gotten accepted that had any scores lower than 18?? thanks.

EkksDee said:
hey guys,

I had my interview late March, was waitlisted... about two weeks ago. Just got my acceptance letter today, Im not going to go... but I thought Id share, so you know that spots are definitely opening up.

Good luck guys :)

Members don't see this ad :)
dentist_to_be? said:
I had my interview late March, was waitlisted... about two weeks ago. Just got my acceptance letter today, Im not going to go... but I thought Id share, so you know that spots are definitely opening up.

Wow that's hott. Just curious what were your stats if you don't mind?

dentist_to_be? said:

hmm
nice to know.
i remember i interviewed the friday before u.
but got my waitlist letter waay longer (actually i never got the hard copy, i asked for it to be faxed).

anyways.
good to know it's movin

hey dentist 2 be... y are you so curious about NYU? do you want to go? .. hehe... if you really want to go i will trade your buffalo acceptance for my NYU acceptance! hehe JK

stylin&smilin said:
hey dentist 2 be... y are you so curious about NYU? do you want to go? .. hehe... if you really want to go i will trade your buffalo acceptance for my NYU acceptance! hehe JK

It would be so hott if we could do that. Do you wanna call and see if they would allow it lolllllllll. I want to go to Buffalo but I'm just having second thoughts about being away from home so I would love to have another option.

Are you on the Buffalo waitlist? I'm curious as to ur stats?

Hey Class of 2009,

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances! I know its a big accomplishment to make it thru the application process and a big relief to finally know where youre gonna be spending the next 4 years of your life. I remember, being in the same position as everyone last year around this time, so I know you guys must have quite a few questions. So if theres anything you guys need help with or whatever to make it easier on you, Id be glad to help out. Of course, in between Organ Systems exams and #3/#14 MOL onlay prep and fills.

so whatever ur fancy....shoot.

P.S. Looking forward to having you guys around next year...then we'll have some seniority around here :D

my stats:

bcp 2.9
sci: 3.0
non-sci 3.5

DAT DEC 2004
science:19
bio : 20
pat :16
math :16
overall :18

I'm still waiting for Stony Brook, but considering I'm out of state, I'm just going to write it out of my calculations. I'm going to pony up the big tuition deposit this week and start looking for apartments....

VancouverDoc2b said:
Hey Class of 2009,

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances! I know its a big accomplishment to make it thru the application process and a big relief to finally know where youre gonna be spending the next 4 years of your life. I remember, being in the same position as everyone last year around this time, so I know you guys must have quite a few questions. So if theres anything you guys need help with or whatever to make it easier on you, Id be glad to help out. Of course, in between Organ Systems exams and #3/#14 MOL onlay prep and fills.

so whatever ur fancy....shoot.

thanks a lot! i wonder if you could share your impressions of nyu now that your first year is almost over? also i'd like to know if you've been living in housing and if so what you thought of it

Lets see where to start:

I think NYU, as any other school, will prepare you to be a dentist no matter what. I mean theyre all accredited by the same body, so obviously. Other than that, as for any other school, I think you get out of it what you put in. ITs so lame and so cliched but its true. having said that, I think NYU is a great school, and NYC is a great place to be going to school. The teachers are great, friendly, available for help. The curriculum, under the heading of Dean Alfano had been completely revamped about 5 years ago, and is incorporating the future role of the dentist: an integral member of the overall healthcare team with emphasis on prevention rather than restoration. Which is great, because as dentistry changes, so does the curriculum, and this shows that NYU is keeping up.

Also, the school is spending lots of money to create brand new clinic space and all, so its really showing their dedication to the school, students and so on.

A few things that i know now, that I didnt know when I was in your situation. A big class size, along with a big city can be overwhelming at times, and can, although not often, leave you in the dark and leave u to figure things on your own. I think this happens a little bit at every school, so its not that big a deal. Its not like u have to figure out how to complete your #3 indirect vision only amalgam prep and fill on your own. But little tricks of the trade kinda things, pointers that help.

Living on campus is expensive. I mean, if you have no other options, go ahead, most of my class did. I didnt. You can find much nicer housing nearby, for about the same price, and less if u share a room.

Computers. Most people didnt buy the DELL. Most have the IBM, and the warranty is really the best part of buying it from NYU, else buy it anywhere. Were also gonna be having mandatory PDAs next year. I dont know if that is for you guys also, but its another thing theyre starting to keep with technological advances at the school.

Cost. People worry about the cost like no tomorrow. Obviously if u can get it cheaper, go there, but now that youve made ur mind to come to nyu...swallow the pill, everyone here is in the same boat. And, its not impossible to pay off. TRUST ME, youll make ur money back 10 x over. People spend thousands on cars, only for it to depreciate. Think of this as an appreciating investment.

anyways, thats about good for now....i gotta go study. later

PS. The year will be over before u know it....frick its already mid April :eek:

You bought all that. Little do you know about this school. Remember they are money greedy and really could careless about their students.

Some people like the school, some people don't, some people don't feel strongly either way... make up your own mind... when you get there.

ToothGuy05 said:
You bought all that. Little do you know about this school. Remember they are money greedy and really could careless about their students.

I'm not making a claim that the above statement is true or false in regards to NYU, but I do know that it is true of many schools. I should probably caveat that by saying that many alumni across the nation feel it was true of their dental schools. Your mileage may vary.

Do most D-1s live in on campus housing? I'm told that off campus is significantly cheaper, is this true even with the added utilities and etc? Do most students share a bedrom? I started searching for apartments on the home.nyu.edu website but it's pretty slow going. I'm thinking this is going to warrant a x-country trip over there to check out the apartments, do we have to start signing leases soon?

mvs04 said:
Do most D-1s live in on campus housing? I'm told that off campus is significantly cheaper, is this true even with the added utilities and etc? Do most students share a bedrom? I started searching for apartments on the home.nyu.edu website but it's pretty slow going. I'm thinking this is going to warrant a x-country trip over there to check out the apartments, do we have to start signing leases soon?

If you rent on your own it will be expensive, if you room you will def save money. I'm sharing an apt with my brother and the most i'll pay is 800+50 utiilities compared to NYUs 1500 and small space. I find NYU off-campus registry lacking, they have no pics and most apts are broker w/fees like 10-15% of ONE YEARS RENT!!!. So I decided to call a broker in NYC and spoke to a very pleasant realtor who advised me to start going to open houses one month prior to moving in. She said most people start looking for an apt 1 month prior to move in, just the way the market opens up. If you notice most apts on NYU are avail. immed or within a month for move in. I found a great site RENT-Direct.com, for $195 (60 days subsc) they offer a whole lot like: pics of apt, pics of street, no broker fees at all, up to the minute price changes, etc. I'm thinking about signing up just to make things easier. Many say that Craigslist is great, but again there are a lot of scams there and many listings have no pics and frankly I don't want to waste my time visiting and leaving without at least signing one lease. I want this to happen in one visit, I don't have time to trek around NYC for weekends on end.

Hey everyone, I am really freaking out about gettng an apartment this summer. By my calculations, I am going to need at least 10k to get going (i.e. deposit, 1st months rent, broker fee, last months rent, etc.). Now, since we don't have access to loan money until the first day of school, what is everyone doing? Are your parents helping you out, are you taking out private loans, have you saved up?

Also, how are you planning on QUALIFYING for an apartment? Everything I have read says that landlords are REALLy strict with income requirements. Obviously, we won't have an income. Do loans count? Are your parents going to be a guarantor? What if you don't have anyone to be a guarantor?

Sorry for all the questions. ANY help or advice you can send my way is GREATLY appreciated.

make sure you are sitting down before you read this. My brother goes to NYUCD and was in a similar situation. My parents are piss poor...well they are worth a lot on paper, but cash wise they are piss poor.

I called up my bro to ask him because I was bored. This is what he said. Yes you need that $10k up front. No, student loans do not count unless you get a cool broker that will lie for you. In general, for a $1500 a month place you need to show an income of $90,000 and if you don't have it then your gurantor needs to make double or triple that.

His buddy just had his mom's friend dentist sign for him because he needed someone that made $195,000 :eek: His apartment is a 2 bed/1 bath for $2350 a month but it includes all utilities. He's splitting it with a friend.

If you can't afford that, look into areas around manhattan like green point, etc. Hell, even NJ is a close commutte. Areas like Jersey city, Hoboken, Weehawken, etc

Best of luck! NYUCD is a great school and my brother loves the clinic, but the living situation sucks ass :cool:

Waitlisted....this is awful. I can't believe how many tears I have shed this application cycle.

can someone explain what a "broker fee" is? I've never heard of this, is this a new york thing? I went to UCLA for UG so I'm used to paying out the ass for an apartment (1k a month), but apparently Manhattan takes it to a new level....

sending in the $2000 deposit today! So much $$$$$. Remember its due by may 2.

mvs04 said:
can someone explain what a "broker fee" is? I've never heard of this, is this a new york thing? I went to UCLA for UG so I'm used to paying out the ass for an apartment (1k a month), but apparently Manhattan takes it to a new level....

It is the fee you pay the broker for the 20 min it took him/her to find your apartment. Usually first months rent is the fee or 1.5 times first month rent.

If you can, try to find one on your own. There are no fee apartments, but they are a bitch to find. Try looking in local newspapers, craigslist, and the others listed in this thread.

I just read that NYC is the worst city to live in money wise. The avg New Yorker makes 17% more on avg, but the avg living cost is 94% higher :eek:

ducksoup said:
Hey everyone, I am really freaking out about gettng an apartment this summer. By my calculations, I am going to need at least 10k to get going (i.e. deposit, 1st months rent, broker fee, last months rent, etc.). Now, since we don't have access to loan money until the first day of school, what is everyone doing? Are your parents helping you out, are you taking out private loans, have you saved up?

Also, how are you planning on QUALIFYING for an apartment? Everything I have read says that landlords are REALLy strict with income requirements. Obviously, we won't have an income. Do loans count? Are your parents going to be a guarantor? What if you don't have anyone to be a guarantor?

Sorry for all the questions. ANY help or advice you can send my way is GREATLY appreciated.

You will def need a guarantor, they need to make 50 to 75 times your rent in yearly income. So basically take the amt of rent you think you'll be paying and multiply by 50 to 75. Landlords need to make sure that you can pay the lease in full if in case you pull out or anything else that may happen to the apt. They know you have loans, but loans are not a form of guaranteed income. My parents will cosign but I'm working my butt off this summer to cover all the fees and first months rent+utilities till I get my refund check from my loans. You don't need your parents to cosign either, anyone can as long as they fit the criteria. Depending on how you go about searching for an apt the fees will vary. Stay away from brokers as much as possible, students just can't satisfy their fees. I contacted a broker that takes a fee of first months rent and that is just too much. Like I posted earlier Rent-Direct seems like a great service and it's a small fee of 195 for 60days subscr. I'll sign up about start to mid June, I'll keep everyone updated as to how it goes. Craigs list is good as well, but it's unorganized, basically a rummage sale. I would like my search to be as hassle free as possible and efficient.

toothart said:
Like I posted earlier Rent-Direct seems like a great service and it's a small fee of 195 for 60days subscr. I'll sign up about start to mid June, I'll keep everyone updated as to how it goes. Craigs list is good as well, but it's unorganized, basically a rummage sale. I would like my search to be as hassle free as possible and efficient.

I agree with my brother, Craig's list is highly unorganized and there are not that many pictures available. I'll dish out the 100 for Rent-Direct and save myself from the burden of having to look at embellished listings.

why don't u all just get a nice huuuuuge place in JC (for the same price as a renting a box in nyc), and do the ~40min commute ;)

fruity_trident said:
why don't u all just get a nice huuuuuge place in JC (for the same price as a renting a box in nyc), and do the ~40min commute ;)

That would solve everything, but frankly I don't want the commute to stop me from getting to class at a normal time. When you commute you have to factor in so much more, cost of commute, efficency of the transport, and other variables. I want to keep the variables low in considering how I'll get to my class. This may def. change for the second year when I get more accustomed to student life and the schedule at NYU. I'm in Jersey now and know that the rent here is considerably less, but though the city is less than 5 miles away from the buildings it can take up to 25 mins to get across the river, that's not factoring the extra 30-40 mins it can take for the subway transport to the station and then a 10min walk to NYUCD. So it may seem great, but it all disappears when I have to spend 1.5-2hrs a day on axles. Plus, it would be great if it was just me commuting every morning into NYC, but there are millions more that have to as well.

:love: Congratulation to those accepted to NYU, you will love it here. Looking forward to see all of you in August. I know a lot of you are worrying about housing right now. I was in your position and had a hard time looking myself. Anyhow, my friend and I are looking for a responsible, friendly female roomate to share 3 bedroom apt. in a nice building with 24 hour doorman. The place is 5 min. walking to school and 10 min. walking to subway. You will have the huge master bedroom w/ your own bathroom. I would say this is even better than getting a studio yourself since you will be living with two friendly 2nd year students :D So if you need help with school or anything, we are next door :) We study hard and party hard (not at home though ) ;) So if interested, please email me at [email protected]. For those who is not interested in off-campus housing, you are welcome to email me if you have any question regarding the school or our program. Ciao!!!!

Hi, I paid the deposit 2 weeks ago. Now I'm waiting for them to mail me the dorm details.

So can anyone please tell me how the dorms are? Location? And if I'm to starting look for an off-campus place, what is the best method of doing so?

Thanx in advance

Furious George said:
Hi, I paid the deposit 2 weeks ago. Now I'm waiting for them to mail me the dorm details.

So can anyone please tell me how the dorms are? Location? And if I'm to starting look for an off-campus place, what is the best method of doing so?

Thanx in advance

heyas! I'm as NY-illiterate as one can get. I'm headed down there in June to get all this stuff sorted out.

Furious George said:

Thanx in advance

I know nowadays people uses Craig's list for apartment searching but I like NYTimes the best.

NYTimes Real Estate Section
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/realestate/

Other resources
Craig's List
http://newyork.craigslist.org/
Village Voice
http://www.villagevoice.com/

For NYTimes, do advance search for Midtown East side and Gramercy/Flatiron.
If you don't mind taking buses or subway, look into East Village, Upper East Side, and Lower East Side.

East Village and Lower East Side are fun area, if you like drinking and eating out. Many students and artists prefer to live in East Village and Lower East side so sometimes disgusting and crummy places could be very expensive. But if you prefer more residential area, go midtown and Upper East Side.

It's been so long since I looked for apt in Manhattan so things could be different from what I remember.
Anyhow, here's my advice and info for you
-Real Estate broker will take 15% of yearly rent for commission.
-It’s very rare to find ads posted by apartment owners on NYTimes. Most ads are posted by brokers.
-You will more likely to need a guarantor to co-sign the contract. Find rich parents/uncles/aunts to do that for you.
-Real Estate agents don't show apt more than a month ahead of the time you will need the apartment. (That's how agents pressure people to rush into making decisions and they could keep the rent high.)
-Sometimes, you have to put deposit for 2 months rent.
-Try to look for a rent-stabilized apartment otherwise the rent will go up ridiculous amount every year. (It is almost impossible to find rent-stabilized apt though)
-If you find a place you like, be ready to sign immediately. (Although I recommend you to look around at least a few to see what the current market for apt renting is like these days.)

Finding a good apartment requires determination and luck.
Good luck.

Furious George said:

Thanx in advance

do you mean the $1000 housing deposit? i've also paid mine and haven't yet heard from them, do you guys know what happens if you don't get into the residence hall? what are the chances of this happening? they obviously refund you the 1000 right? and have you guys received your financial aid award package? i just got mine a few days ago and im a bit confused as to what the next step is..it says within the next few weeks you'll receive the Master Promissory Note for the Stafford loans so does that mean we have to wait till then or can we just do it online? also what about the private loan from citibank? how soon do we apply for that? lol im so damn confused!

MitchSE-R said:
do you mean the $1000 housing deposit? i've also paid mine and haven't yet heard from them, do you guys know what happens if you don't get into the residence hall? what are the chances of this happening? they obviously refund you the 1000 right? and have you guys received your financial aid award package? i just got mine a few days ago and im a bit confused as to what the next step is..it says within the next few weeks you'll receive the Master Promissory Note for the Stafford loans so does that mean we have to wait till then or can we just do it online? also what about the private loan from citibank? how soon do we apply for that? lol im so damn confused!

Hi,
I just went to the hesc website and signed my master promissory note that way (I think the letter said you could go to the website and check it out). Also, I applied for the citibank loan too, and it was really easy. Just go to the website that the letter provides for the citibank loan, and it is fairly easy. You'll also be given an answer (regarding your status) within a matter of minutes.

I figured it was better to go ahead and take care of it sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

:( Quick question....What if you don't have a rich guarantor? From what I've read, guarantor's need to make 80-90 times the monthly rent. This could be well over 150k, depending on the rent (i.e. 1 bedroom rent of 1800 would need a guarantor who makes 165k).

Will landlords make an exception if you offer 1/2 or even the whole years rent up front? I am really worried. I don't have a guarantor who makes a lot of money, but I might be able to pay the rent up front. Is this a bad idea, or even possible? Thanks SO much for any help you can offer.

ToothCandy4U said:
I know nowadays people uses Craig's list for apartment searching but I like NYTimes the best.

NYTimes Real Estate Section
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/realestate/

Other resources
Craig's List
http://newyork.craigslist.org/
Village Voice
http://www.villagevoice.com/

For NYTimes, do advance search for Midtown East side and Gramercy/Flatiron.
If you don't mind taking buses or subway, look into East Village, Upper East Side, and Lower East Side.

East Village and Lower East Side are fun area, if you like drinking and eating out. Many students and artists prefer to live in East Village and Lower East side so sometimes disgusting and crummy places could be very expensive. But if you prefer more residential area, go midtown and Upper East Side.

It's been so long since I looked for apt in Manhattan so things could be different from what I remember.
Anyhow, here's my advice and info for you
-Real Estate broker will take 15% of yearly rent for commission.
-It’s very rare to find ads posted by apartment owners on NYTimes. Most ads are posted by brokers.
-You will more likely to need a guarantor to co-sign the contract. Find rich parents/uncles/aunts to do that for you.
-Real Estate agents don't show apt more than a month ahead of the time you will need the apartment. (That's how agents pressure people to rush into making decisions and they could keep the rent high.)
-Sometimes, you have to put deposit for 2 months rent.
-Try to look for a rent-stabilized apartment otherwise the rent will go up ridiculous amount every year. (It is almost impossible to find rent-stabilized apt though)
-If you find a place you like, be ready to sign immediately. (Although I recommend you to look around at least a few to see what the current market for apt renting is like these days.)

Finding a good apartment requires determination and luck.
Good luck.

MitchSE-R said:

No, I paid the 2500 one. I got accepted late. Haven't received anything but the letter of acceptance.

So my chances of getting into the school residence is pretty slim right? Considering I got accepted pretty late.

Thanx again

ducksoup said:
Hi,
I just went to the hesc website and signed my master promissory note that way (I think the letter said you could go to the website and check it out). Also, I applied for the citibank loan too, and it was really easy. Just go to the website that the letter provides for the citibank loan, and it is fairly easy. You'll also be given an answer (regarding your status) within a matter of minutes.

I figured it was better to go ahead and take care of it sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

ok cool i'll just go ahead and do that then, how is your credit if you don't mind me asking? im a bit worried cuz i pretty much have no credit, i only just got my first credit card a month ago, luckily though i have no outstanding loans at all so hopefully there won't be any problems right?

ducksoup said:
:( Quick question....What if you don't have a rich guarantor? From what I've read, guarantor's need to make 80-90 times the monthly rent. This could be well over 150k, depending on the rent (i.e. 1 bedroom rent of 1800 would need a guarantor who makes 165k).

Will landlords make an exception if you offer 1/2 or even the whole years rent up front? I am really worried. I don't have a guarantor who makes a lot of money, but I might be able to pay the rent up front. Is this a bad idea, or even possible? Thanks SO much for any help you can offer.

Lately landlords are more likely to negotiate and give exceptions to the rules.
You may be able to get an apartment without getting a guarantor.
But, I don't recall if anyone I know has done that before.