NYU-Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would sign it sooner then later. I read that it can take from 6-8 weeks to process.

That is a pain (about your name being written wrong). I hate filling out all these forms!!!

Dental916 said:
Somehow when i went to sign the e-MPN it has my name written wrong...so i tried to sign it with my correct signature and it wouldnt let me. I sent an email to them to see whats up. Just another pain in the ass. Also does it matter when we sign and fill out the loan stuff? Would it matter say if i did it this month or late next month?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an acceptance letter a couple of days ago. I will be seeing you guys in the fall.

Important questions after you submitted you tuition deposit how long did it take for the package (financial aid & housing) to arrive.
Is it difficult to get the housing?
Did anybody already got in the school housing?
What was the process?

Thanks and hope to see u fine people in the fall.

2pac-

fruity_trident said:
sorry for the late response!! i don't know why i missed this one.
ok, i interviewed march 18th...and i know ppl got ACCEPTED after interviewing around that date...so during that period, it wasn't automatic waitlist.

i did NOT keep in contact with admissions, because i assumed i was NOT going to dental school for 2005 sept....nyu also doesn't tell u much over the phone...so i don't know how that helps.

i don't know if they automatically waitlist everyone....since spots are opening up and u're a SUPERB applicant, i don't see why they can't accept u right away..but those are just MY thoughts.

gdluck

Hi,

I found your post a little insulting. I know you didn't mean it this way, but I felt like I need to respond.

Your post assumes that everyone who goes to NYU is going because it is their last resort and they have really low stats ("it's actually my first choice-that sounds weird, yeah, I know, but in reality, it is probably the only school that I have a chance....").

I think it is not safe to assume that NYU is easy to get into (which can easily be attested to by the experiences of many SDN'ers), or that people who go there don't want to. NYU is my first choice, I have good stats, and I had the choice to attend many other schools. Truthfully, I feel like the admission process is highly arbitrary and unpredictable. Your best bet is to apply to a wide range of schools, and hope for the best.

I wish you all the best. Please don't take this post as spiteful or negative. I just want you to understand that there are people who choose NYU who have other choices, and who do not have low stats.

naithgirw said:
Hey, Congrats to all those who made it into NYU class of 2009! :) :) :)

I really want to go to NYU (It's actully my first choice - that sounds wierd, yeah, I know), but in reality, it is also probably the only school that I have a chance - my Bio GPA is 3.40, but everything else is around the 3.0-3.1 mark.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me their STATS, so I can see where I fall! Thanks! :)

And Congratulations Again! Well done, and good luck Class of 2009!
WOOO HOOO! :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ducksoup said:
Hi,

I found your post a little insulting. I know you didn't mean it this way, but I felt like I need to respond.

Your post assumes that everyone who goes to NYU is going because it is their last resort and they have really low stats ("it's actually my first choice-that sounds weird, yeah, I know, but in reality, it is probably the only school that I have a chance....").

I think it is not safe to assume that NYU is easy to get into (which can easily be attested to by the experiences of many SDN'ers), or that people who go there don't want to. NYU is my first choice, I have good stats, and I had the choice to attend many other schools. Truthfully, I feel like the admission process is highly arbitrary and unpredictable. Your best bet is to apply to a wide range of schools, and hope for the best.

I wish you all the best. Please don't take this post as spiteful or negative. I just want you to understand that there are people who choose NYU who have other choices, and who do not have low stats.

Oh wow, Ducksoup

thank you for acknowledging the fact that I did not mean any disrespect to NYU and it's students - Because I don't mean any disrespect at all!

In fact, I can totally understand why NYU is first choice for you too! I mean, it's the capital city of the WORLD - right? The school is directed more to the clinical aspect of dentistry - spending less time on repitition, and jumping into hands on 'stuff' that includes critical thinking situations!

All that I meant to say, was that the 'STATS that are published for dental schools each year, continually show NYU to have lower than average STATS than other schools. In addition, the relatively high cost of living may deter some students from accepting acceptance there. However, those with lower STATS, may not have gained admission anywhere else, and may have had to be 'stuck' with NYU. Personally - I would LOVE to be 'stuck' with NYU.

THANKS for not taking me wrong, and good luck with NYU! Maybe I'm a bit jealous that I probably won't get into dental school - and that jealousy probably shines through my previous post!

I personally believe that NYU is not east to get into. The low statistics is due to the large number of students they accept every year. Still they are not as low as Howard and Meharry.

Somebody help me here but I heard that they fall in the top 10 dental schools.

naithgirw said:
Oh wow, Ducksoup

thank you for acknowledging the fact that I did not mean any disrespect to NYU and it's students - Because I don't mean any disrespect at all!

In fact, I can totally understand why NYU is first choice for you too! I mean, it's the capital city of the WORLD - right? The school is directed more to the clinical aspect of dentistry - spending less time on repitition, and jumping into hands on 'stuff' that includes critical thinking situations!

All that I meant to say, was that the 'STATS that are published for dental schools each year, continually show NYU to have lower than average STATS than other schools. In addition, the relatively high cost of living may deter some students from accepting acceptance there. However, those with lower STATS, may not have gained admission anywhere else, and may have had to be 'stuck' with NYU. Personally - I would LOVE to be 'stuck' with NYU.

THANKS for not taking me wrong, and good luck with NYU! Maybe I'm a bit jealous that I probably won't get into dental school - and that jealousy probably shines through my previous post!

2pac said:
I personally believe that NYU is not east to get into. The low statistics is due to the large number of students they accept every year. Still they are not as low as Howard and Meharry.

Somebody help me here but I heard that they fall in the top 10 dental schools.

2pac - low STATISTICS means - low STATISTICS :rolleyes:

How can you deny that fact :confused:

Low STATISTICS - how can you say it's tough to get into? Where is your reasoning :confused:

The average GPA is around 3.00

I agree - for every 3.4 student, they could have let in more students with under a 3.00 average - as long as that average is around 3.00

I'm sorry, but your explanation defies logic and basic reasoning.

If the answer is yes. Then wait and see for yourself. You are one poor fish in pond just donot forget about other largerer fish swimming around you. I have a 3.9 GPA (Engineer) and decent DAT scores (19 and 18's and a bad one in one section).

Good luck.

naithgirw said:
2pac - low STATISTICS means - low STATISTICS :rolleyes:

How can you deny that fact :confused:

Low STATISTICS - how can you say it's tough to get into? Where is your reasoning :confused:

The average GPA is around 3.00

I agree - for every 3.4 student, they could have let in more students with under a 3.00 average - as long as that average is around 3.00

I'm sorry, but your explanation defies logic and basic reasoning.

2pac said:
If the answer is yes. Then wait and see for yourself. You are one poor fish in pond just donot forget about other largerer fish swimming around you. I have a 3.9 GPA (Engineer) and decent DAT scores (19 and 18's and a bad one in one section).

Good luck.

Apply to Harvard - and leave our (under 3.0 GPA'ers and sub 3.0 GPA'ers) Dental School alone! :)

We Own NYU!!! :mad:

:laugh: jk :laugh:

Important questions after you submitted you tuition deposit how long did it take for the package (financial aid & housing) to arrive.
What was the process?

2pac-

Bump

naithgirw said:
Apply to Harvard - and leave our (under 3.0 GPA'ers and sub 3.0 GPA'ers) Dental School alone! :)

We Own NYU!!! :mad:

:laugh: jk :laugh:

O.K. cool. Thanks.

Good luck!!!!

naithgirw said:
Oh wow, Ducksoup

Hi 2pac,

I'm betting that you will hear ASAP, as summer is here and school will start before you know it.

I don't know how to best answer your question, because I received a Dec. 1 admission, and so I think the time I had to wait to get the housing packet won't be the same.

I'm living off campus, so I can't help with the housing info. Hopefully someone else can.

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

2pac said:
What was the process?

2pac-

What is cheaper

On campus or Off campus

ducksoup said:
Hi 2pac,

I'm betting that you will hear ASAP, as summer is here and school will start before you know it.

I don't know how to best answer your question, because I received a Dec. 1 admission, and so I think the time I had to wait to get the housing packet won't be the same.

I'm living off campus, so I can't help with the housing info. Hopefully someone else can.

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
2pac said:
What is cheaper

On campus or Off campus

first of all...CONGRATS!!!

i KNOW cheaper housing exists off campus...but i'm assuming not cheaper by a lot..if u want to live close by.

since i'm up in canada, they sent my info package the day they got my $$$$$$$$

and what's this about financial aid package? i opted to get info about that...but when they sent me my visa/health/housing forms, i got no financial aid stuff!

If u are canadian can u still take loans from US. Since I am an American I can take financial Aid. I cannot afford to pay $300,000 from my pocket.

fruity_trident said:
first of all...CONGRATS!!!

i KNOW cheaper housing exists off campus...but i'm assuming not cheaper by a lot..if u want to live close by.

since i'm up in canada, they sent my info package the day they got my $$$$$$$$

and what's this about financial aid package? i opted to get info about that...but when they sent me my visa/health/housing forms, i got no financial aid stuff!

anybody else please :luck:

2pac said:
What was the process?

2pac-

2pac said:
anybody else please :luck:

I received the financial packet at the beginning of May, however, I don't remember getting anything about housing. I could've just trashed it because I have no interest in "on-campus" housing. You should consider "off-campus" housing since it will be considerably cheaper. You can access NYU housing info and compare pricing with some of the apartments that are listed on Craigslist.org. Btw, its good to have a back-up plan if you end up not finding "on-campus" housing. See you at orientation.

Let's update that signature Fruity. :D

2pac said:
If u are canadian can u still take loans from US. Since I am an American I can take financial Aid. I cannot afford to pay $300,000 from my pocket.

i've heard that my friend's friend is @ nyu med and they got financial aid..and they're candian too...otherwise...
umm....i tell my daddy, mommy and sister that i love them truly, madly, deeply? :love: :love:

RxTech said:
Let's update that signature Fruity
who knows what will happen in 4 yrs? what if i don't make it? :laugh: what if i'm what they call a get ready for this...D R O P O U T.

lol. i have no intentions to be :laugh: ...would NYUCD 2009 candidate read better? :rolleyes:

I was accepted in dec and sent out my housing packet like two days after i got it(got the packet in march?...not sure) so i wouldnt worry to those who havent heard anything from nyu housing yet.

I was accepted late april....Ijust received the info packet about a week or two ago...I haven't received any financial aid package yet. Is this bad or good? I know its nothing to worry about, but school is starting in a minute now.

Dentalhopeful said:
I was accepted late april....Ijust received the info packet about a week or two ago...I haven't received any financial aid package yet. Is this bad or good? I know its nothing to worry about, but school is starting in a minute now.

I'm on the same boat as you. Although I'm from Canada so the financial aid probably wouldn't do me any good :D

Congraturations 2pac!!
I am very happy for you. Awesome GPA. It's great to know competitive classmates are coming to NYUCD.

ducksoup isn't alone.
NYUCD was my top choice, too. ;)

I was accepted in March. I received info package, housing and medical check-up forms, soon after I sent in my deposit. In fact, I received another copy again 2 weeks ago?! But I haven't received my financial aid package yet.
I will call NYUCD financial aid this week and find out what's up.

You can definately find cheaper off-campus housing.

We can all study together to eliminate the possible kick outs. :luck:

fruity_trident said:
i've heard that my friend's friend is @ nyu med and they got financial aid..and they're candian too...otherwise...
umm....i tell my daddy, mommy and sister that i love them truly, madly, deeply? :love: :love:

who knows what will happen in 4 yrs? what if i don't make it? :laugh: what if i'm what they call a get ready for this...D R O P O U T.

lol. i have no intentions to be :laugh: ...would NYUCD 2009 candidate read better? :rolleyes:

Tusi kadon move kar rehe ho!

you could send me an offline message if want to chat.

thanks-

Dentalhopeful said:

Finally finished the Citibank loan app. Signed it and everything. Not hard, but a little time consuming. I emailed the HESC people to ask them about my name because somehow it is spelled incorrectly and they never got back to me. So I guess I will call them and get the ball rolling on that. NYU is nearing my friends. Lets Get Ready To Rumble! :laugh:

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if accepted students are given the class roster? Thanks a bunch...counting down the days

Hi everyone,

Just got back yesterday from my apartment hunting trip (I'm moving early because my wife got a job that she needs to start). Anyway, the good news is I found a place and have signed a lease!

The bad news, the process was as stressful, time-consuming, and arduous as everyone says. There are some really funky apartments out there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

ducksoup said:
Hi everyone,

Just got back yesterday from my apartment hunting trip (I'm moving early because my wife got a job that she needs to start). Anyway, the good news is I found a place and have signed a lease!

The bad news, the process was as stressful, time-consuming, and arduous as everyone says. There are some really funky apartments out there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Congraturations and welcome to NYC.

If you don't mind sharing with us, how much did you end up payinf for an apt?
Were you able to rent it without a guarantor? I am just curious.

I've also seen some funky apts before.
One apt I've seen was all yellow. Walls, ceiling, furniture, kitchen, bathroom and even a toilet seat were yellow.
Another funky one was an obvious bachelor crib. Mirrors everywhere....
What did you see, ducksoup?

HI,

The apartment I ended up getting is a 1 bedroom in a walkup on the upper east side, $2k a month. I did not have a guarantor, and this turned out to not be a problem (though I was prepared to pay the entire year up front....as I was advised by numerous people that this might be the only way I get an apartment as a student without a guarantor). However, I only had to pay the security deposit and first months rent. Well, and the broker fee. The broker was extremely helpful and the fee was worth it to me. I only had 3 days to look for and find an apartment, and I think everything worked out because of the broker. I basically arrived one day and looked at about a dozen places, applied for the one I liked the next day, and was approved and signed the lease on my last day.

I also saw one with mirrors everywhere. :) Besides that, one with no closets, and one with the shower in the kitchen, across from the fridge.

I am so relieved to have found a place. I was really nervous about getting a place without a guarantor....

ToothCandy4U said:
Congraturations and welcome to NYC.

If you don't mind sharing with us, how much did you end up payinf for an apt?
Were you able to rent it without a guarantor? I am just curious.

I've also seen some funky apts before.
One apt I've seen was all yellow. Walls, ceiling, furniture, kitchen, bathroom and even a toilet seat were yellow.
Another funky one was an obvious bachelor crib. Mirrors everywhere....
What did you see, ducksoup?

ducksoup said:
HI,

The apartment I ended up getting is a 1 bedroom in a walkup on the upper east side, $2k a month. I did not have a guarantor, and this turned out to not be a problem (though I was prepared to pay the entire year up front....as I was advised by numerous people that this might be the only way I get an apartment as a student without a guarantor). However, I only had to pay the security deposit and first months rent. Well, and the broker fee. The broker was extremely helpful and the fee was worth it to me. I only had 3 days to look for and find an apartment, and I think everything worked out because of the broker. I basically arrived one day and looked at about a dozen places, applied for the one I liked the next day, and was approved and signed the lease on my last day.

I also saw one with mirrors everywhere. :) Besides that, one with no closets, and one with the shower in the kitchen, across from the fridge.

I am so relieved to have found a place. I was really nervous about getting a place without a guarantor....

I heard about joint sink-shower in a kitchen. I've never seen one myself before. You must have been horrified when you saw that.
I had a friend who was considering paying $1500/month for an studio apt without a bathroom in the apt. Yes, the building has a "common bathroom" in each flower... It's crazy what people are willing to pay for a great location...

Upper east side is a nice residential area. Many restaurants on 2nd Ave.(and 1st Ave.) Also, your wife can go shopping at Bloomingdale while you are in school. ;)

I was browsing NYUCD web site to find class schedule and academic calendar and I noticed that faq page was updated.
What is the average GPA of the admitted students?

In 2004, the mean GPA of the admitted students was 3.29.

What are the average DAT scores of the admitted students?

In 2004, the mean DAT scores of the admitted students exceeded the national mean. Both the Academic Average and Total Science means were 19.
Not bad.
It's nice to see that stats have gone up from previous year.
I am very pround of my classmates. ;)

Dear to be first years NYUers
As a recent graduate first let me congratulate you into making it to NY poo

Secondly, i know you are all so enthusiastic, and you cant wait to start. Good, i was like that too. Wait about two months till you understand what NYU is all about-it is a flaming pile of dog****

Good luck to all of you.

shariq said:
Dear to be first years NYUers
As a recent graduate first let me congratulate you into making it to NY poo

Secondly, i know you are all so enthusiastic, and you cant wait to start. Good, i was like that too. Wait about two months till you understand what NYU is all about-it is a flaming pile of dog****

Good luck to all of you.

Dude, you are so sad. I went to a huge university and worked for a fortune 500 company for many years. I doubt NYU would intimidate me.

ToothCandy4U said:
Dude, you are so sad. I went to a huge university and worked for a fortune 500 company for many years. I doubt NYU would intimidate me.

I've got you beat. Spent 14 months in my state pen.... NYU dent gonna be a breeze.

after you've gone through solitary confinement with yoru insanity intact... no school's too hard.

say if I get a D in a class that is is a prereq for NYU (physics 7c)...would they kick you out or ?

I donot think they will kick u out if u are already accepted. But I hope u can graduate with a D :thumbup: because in my school u cannot graduate with a D :( . Think about the $2500 :confused: , Do u think they will return that money if u are refused? ;)

Good Luck :thumbup:

Dental916 said:
say if I get a D in a class that is is a prereq for NYU (physics 7c)...would they kick you out or ?

ToothCandy4U said:

I did not say that the size of the school should intimidate you.
I meant to say that you will soon find out how disorganized NYUCD is.

But congrats on getting accepted. so make the most of it

I think if you have a D in a prereq than you will have your admission taken away. Could happen during orientation.
You have time this summer to retake the course. Call NYU and ask, but I doubt they will allow you to be a student if you failed physics.
I agree with Shariq, NYU is disorganized. It's a mess, but it has gotten better slowly. The incomming class won't have it as bad.

Isn't D a passing grade though? Im a little scared right now for physics...but i think I can get a C for sure. Just curious....how if you got a D in a non prereq class?

Oh Bhaji,

Why don't u call NYU and also inform us what they say about his matter. Question for you: Were u able to apply for financial Aid and How? And What about housing Aru u staying On or Off campus?

Thanks- and donot worry too much. I might end up getting C's this semester.

Dental916 said:
Isn't D a passing grade though? Im a little scared right now for physics...but i think I can get a C for sure. Just curious....how if you got a D in a non prereq class?

2pac said:
Oh Bhaji,

Why don't u call NYU and also inform us what they say about his matter. Question for you: Were u able to apply for financial Aid and How? And What about housing Aru u staying On or Off campus?

Thanks- and donot worry too much. I might end up getting C's this semester.

No a D is not a passing grade. On the letter of acceptance, didn't it say something about completing all prereqs with passing grades?

2pac,

I will call them and see. I am staying on campus. I signed up for the single bedroom but with roommates. I got my financial aid from nyu and i am getting all the money from stafford loan and citibank loan. What about you?

Toys,
On the letter of acceptance it said ...get bachelors, get satisfactory grades and complete all prereqs and something else i think. It didn't say anything about C's or D's. Maybe we are suppose to assume C or better...who knows. I'll call and find out to make sure.

what up 4bq....what you can do is call the housing office to see if they recieved your check...I did that last week to make sure they got it. So will we get our housing based on who turned it in first or on some lottery system. I turned mine in probably more than a month ago.

Hello,

we could communicate before school starts. You know if u haven't applied for oncampus housing u could fill the waitlist application for housing. If your letter arrived on the 3rd then u are in good shape otherwise u should call the school and ask them ur status. Also, How can I apply for the financial Aid.

Am I suppose to recieve a separate applacation for F aid or what is the deal?

Please guide me.

Thanks.

2pac-

4bq said:
cool to see a lot of punjabis at NYU.. :)

i hope they got my housing stuff, i sent it in the last day.. dunno what i will do if i have to find a palce on my own.

2pac said:
Hello,

we could communicate before school starts. You know if u haven't applied for oncampus housing u could fill the waitlist application for housing. If your letter arrived on the 3rd then u are in good shape otherwise u should call the school and ask them ur status. Also, How can I apply for the financial Aid.

Am I suppose to recieve a separate applacation for F aid or what is the deal?

Please guide me.

Thanks.

2pac-

Hi 2pac,

you do recieve a separate financial aid package. as far as applying for it goes, if u havn't filled out the fafsa do so and put ur parents info on it too even if u r independent (dunno how old u r).
i would also call tanya c. up in fin. aid office if u havn't gotten ur package by now (unless u were accepted late or somethin). i got mine a couple of weeks ago.
last i spoke to tanya, she said that they hadn't recieved funds from the gov't yet, so don't b surprised if ur package consists of stafford n citibank loans and not the HPSL or any other need based scholarships yet. She said they jus return ur private if n when u r awarded something like that.

hope this helps.

Confused here. So i went to http://studentloan.citibank.com/schools/nyu and filled out what I need to. It asked how much do I want to borrow. On my finanical aid packet it said that the suggested citi assit loan is 40,073. Is that the amount that I put down or do I add the stafford loan and unsubsidized stafford which was 8,500 and 30,000. I put down 40,073.

Then when I went to sign my e-mpn...from what I remember...it never asked about how much I needed to borrow, but when I went to fill out the e MPN for my parents, it asked how much do I want to borrow again. I thought the e MPN was only for stafford stuff. Im confused. Looks like I'll be calling the fin aid tomorrow.

Anyone else receive a letter from NYU asking you to submit "Final, Official" transcript from undergraduate institution?

shariq said:
I did not say that the size of the school should intimidate you.
I meant to say that you will soon find out how disorganized NYUCD is.

But congrats on getting accepted. so make the most of it

I was not only talking about the size of school.
I also worked under pressure for many years. Disorganization is typical in real life. Colleague will sometimes jeopardize your project and take your credit. What's worse is bureaucracy and red-tape. I've been there and done that. Always expect and prepare for the worst. Never forget Murphy's law.
But don't forget to smile and be confident even under pressure. Clients will pull the money out if you show uncertainty.
The biggest project that I lead cost $1 million. The price tag isn't much compare to other people I know in my industry but for me it was a huge responsibility.

So, I do not underestimate the difficulty of the d-school but I am excited for challenges.

Thanks, shariq. I would definately make the most of it.

I got my letter today and the total for 2005-06 for citiassist loan is a huge number $60073. Is this usual?. Did u guys get a similar number. I believe I need a cosigner for this kindof money cause when I said no cosigner they rejected me right away. Any Suggestions?

Please guide me friends. :scared:

faye1451 said:
Hi 2pac,

you do recieve a separate financial aid package. as far as applying for it goes, if u havn't filled out the fafsa do so and put ur parents info on it too even if u r independent (dunno how old u r).
i would also call tanya c. up in fin. aid office if u havn't gotten ur package by now (unless u were accepted late or somethin). i got mine a couple of weeks ago.
last i spoke to tanya, she said that they hadn't recieved funds from the gov't yet, so don't b surprised if ur package consists of stafford n citibank loans and not the HPSL or any other need based scholarships yet. She said they jus return ur private if n when u r awarded something like that.

hope this helps.