General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those that got accepted into columbia - can you share your stats? Im getting nervoussssss

Members don't see this ad.

I got into Columbia I can’t believe it!!

Good luck to everyone

110 obvs hours in 5 settings
3.5 gpa

To those that got accepted into columbia - can you share your stats? Im getting nervoussssss

Sure!

Undergrad: University of St. La Salle - Philippines (abroad)
GPA: 3.56
Prereq GPA: roughly a 3.60
Volunteer Hours: 100
50 in a skilled nursing facility
50 in a pediatric sensory gym

I think my essay/s and recommendations really helped me get accepted!

The best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally heard from NYU. Waitlisted.
Do they actually send out rejections? Seems like tons of people are on the waitlist.

Finally heard from NYU. Waitlisted.
Do they actually send out rejections? Seems like tons of people are on the waitlist.

One of my friends actually got a rejection so they're sending out rejections for sure!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they sent out the second wave of acceptances for NYU? I have not heard anything yet

University: University of California, San Diego
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 3.83 - 3.94
GRE: 156 V, 151 Q, 4.0 W (I honestly could have done better if I had put in the time)
Volunteer: Adult day health center (90 hrs), rehab department at a hospital (120 hrs), private hand therapy clinic (190 hrs; total as volunteer and rehab aide), pediatric therapy clinic (40 hrs)
Acceptances: SJSU, University of Puget Sound
Rejections: None
Interviews: Samuel Merritt (declined), Dominican University (declined)

Does anyone know if they sent out the second wave of acceptances for NYU? I have not heard anything yet
Also does anyone know if NYU goes to the waitlist before accepting more students or do they accept the second wave first?

I was accepted by Columbia today! I was also accepted by NYU. Does anybody know where I can find Columbia's curriculum? I can't seem to find an updated version anywhere. Not sure which I will choose, but leaning towards Columbia, so that should help some NYU waitlist people!

Sure :)

School: The College of New Jersey
Major: Psychology
Minor: Public Health
Cum GPA: 3.67
Prereq GPA: 3.5 - 3.6
Observation hours: 512 (3 settings)
Extras: founder and president of the occupational and physical therapy club, research assistant for psych lab, intern and research assistant at Special Olympics New Jersey, EOF program assistant and tutor, resident assistant for Residential Education, lab assistant to student with special needs, study abroad experience in Ghana where I got to work with children at an autism resource center, etc.

I really tried to get a lot of experiences in to compensate for my prereq GPA and I believe my references and essay helped a lot too! Good luck!

Thank you everyone for sharing! Around what time did you guys get the email? Did they just email you that you were accpeted or was it like NYU where you had to log onto your portal to see

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone for sharing! Around what time did you guys get the email? Did they just email you that you were accpeted or was it like NYU where you had to log onto your portal to see

They sent me an email to log into my portal at around 7:00pm

I will opt out of the NYU waitlist as I will accept Columbia’s offer for admission. Anyway, @OTwannabe2020, I got the email at 6pm today (02/28/18) and it said check the application portal for the decision. When I checked, there was a brand new link and the congratulatory letter waiting!

@futureot88! I found the curriculum earlier, I think it was in the student handbook link under students in the Program’s webpage

I’m looking forward to meet you all, future classmates at Columbia!

Hey everyone, got notified that I was accepted into the NYU program Feb 27th around 7:30 pm. I was emailed that there was a status update on my application. I signed in and it was the first thing on the page so I'm assuming that if it doesn't show up then your application is still under review.

Congradulations!!!! Were you waitlisted first and then accepted off the waitlist?

If not it doesnt make sense that they are sending out waitlists already when they havnt reviewed everyone and are also still sending out acceptances. (Not that this is your fault or problem NYOTSTUDENT). Just frustrated with the whole system.

Also does anyone know if NYU goes to the waitlist before accepting more students or do they accept the second wave first?

Thats my question! It seems like they dont since we were all waitlisted and then someone was accepted just this week Feb 27th. It doesnt make sense.

To those accepted to Columbia - did you receive an email from Falk-Kessler, Janet P. yesterday (03/01) at around 3:30pm with the subject being “Important information regarding Columbia OT”? Just asking if this was sent to everyone or only to those who officially accepted Columbia’s offer? I accepted my offer yesterday and will send my deposit next week. Responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

To those accepted to Columbia - did you receive an email from Falk-Kessler, Janet P. yesterday (03/01) at around 3:30pm with the subject being “Important information regarding Columbia OT”? Just asking if this was sent to everyone or only to those who officially accepted Columbia’s offer? I accepted my offer yesterday and will send my deposit next week. Responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I received that email as well and still haven't accepted my offer

I was accepted and did not receive this email. What did the email say?

I received that email as well and still haven't accepted my offer

I was accepted and did not receive this email. What did the email say?

The email basically contained like the April 7th Open House for Accepted Students and financial aid info.

Is there a way to know if my decision to accept went through on the enrollment form? I’m thinking way too much into stuff haha I’m paranoid!!

Also, I didn’t attend college in the US and never had to send a deposit; how does that work? I basically write a check and send it through the post office? Or is it like money order?

Thanks so much for your responses!

Sure!

Undergrad: University of St. La Salle - Philippines (abroad)
GPA: 3.56
Prereq GPA: roughly a 3.60
Volunteer Hours: 100
50 in a skilled nursing facility
50 in a pediatric sensory gym

I think my essay/s and recommendations really helped me get accepted!

The best of luck!
Heyyy I'm from the Philippines as well, but I didn't apply for Columbia though

I haven't heard anything from Columbia yet- does anyone know if they are still sending out acceptances?

I just got an email from Columbia- was rejected. goodluck to all!

Reactions: 1 user
Also got an e-mail, waitlisted. I accepted my spot on the waitlist but I'm not holding out too much hope for it. A lot of programs I applied to start much earlier so I may commit to another school before Columbia gets back to me (they said I could hear back as late as the last week of August... yikes)

Also just got an email, rejected! I'll be attending NYIT instead, good luck everyone!

I also just received a rejection letter through e-mail! oh well goodluck everyone else!

Also just received my rejection. Good luck to the rest of you!

Its a Columbia rejection for me too guys. Seriously wishing all the best for everyone. This has truly become an extremely competitive program.

I was waitlisted at NYU but haven't heard anything since 2/28

i just got an email today that im waitlisted at Columbia and im also waitlisted at NYU as of 2/22..

Last edited:
Since I already have a bachelor's degree in OT from ph, I only need to apply for the post-professional master of arts program. It's a 10-month program intended for internationally trained OTs. I really wanted to go to Columbia but sadly they don't have it, so I applied for USC, NYU, and Pitt instead :D

Oh that’s great! 10 months is super quick!! Have you heard back from any of the programs you applied to? Where are you from here in the US by the way? Good luck!

Does anyone happen to know the actual total tuition cost for Columbia? On their program bulletin it says there's a flat rate of $20,145/semester and there are four semesters of classes and two of LII fieldwork. I remember hearing awhile back that they don't charge full tuition during fieldwork--does anyone know if that's still true? Does this mean it would be $80,580? I was thinking it was more than that

Does anyone happen to know the actual total tuition cost for Columbia? On their program bulletin it says there's a flat rate of $20,145/semester and there are four semesters of classes and two of LII fieldwork. I remember hearing awhile back that they don't charge full tuition during fieldwork--does anyone know if that's still true? Does this mean it would be $80,580? I was thinking it was more than that

Hi! My calculations came up to about $107,000 excluding living expenses. They have a breakdown on the financial aid site. Have you responded that you’re going to accept? Sent in your deposit? Did you get the CU ID emailed by the Financial Aid Office yet? Sorry too many questions! Lol

Here is the estimated cost of the program, for the class entering 2018-2019. The tuition is $20,950 during the first year. So you're looking at about $84,590 for tuition. But with the mandatory fees, it goes up to $108,069.

Hi! Is anybody here applying for the NYC DOE OT Scholarship?

I was seriously considering it because it's really one of the only ways I would be able to afford Columbia. But the application process is throughout the summer, and you don't find out if you're awarded the scholarship until August. It's a huge financial risk that I unfortunately can't take. =/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations for getting accepted into both! Did you apply to the MS Programs or the OTD? Also, do you mind sharing your stats and the date when you applied?

Hey Congrats on getting in!!

Not sure if you care anymore (maybe this can help someone else in the future) but I applied in mid-September. I applied to the MS program at Columbia and the MS/OTD program at NYU.

I have absolutely no idea where I am going. I think it may come down price

Here is the estimated cost of the program, for the class entering 2018-2019. The tuition is $20,950 during the first year. So you're looking at about $84,590 for tuition. But with the mandatory fees, it goes up to $108,069.

I was seriously considering it because it's really one of the only ways I would be able to afford Columbia. But the application process is throughout the summer, and you don't find out if you're awarded the scholarship until August. It's a huge financial risk that I unfortunately can't take. =/

Gotcha. I plan to apply for it. The application is open now right, would you happen to remember?

I got accepted to both Columbia and NYU but I'm going to have to turn both down due to the cost. For those of you on the wait list, good luck!!

I got accepted to NYU yesterday and I might accept my decision offer. Anyone going to NYU?