This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftdoc17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I was just accepted to NYU's dental hygiene program which is housed in NYU College of Dentistry. I haven't been able to find any forum's on NYU Dental Hygiene program. Has anyone attended NYU for dental hygiene and can you tell me about the experience? (pros & cons, job placement, etc)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I can't at all answer any of your questions, but I was curious what the length of study and cost of attendance was. Looks like the apple doesn't fall too far from the NYU COD tree - ~$85k/year. Scary COA numbers given the earning potential of hygienists.

That looks like the cost for the whole program.
Sorry I can't at all answer any of your questions, but I was curious what the length of study and cost of attendance was. Looks like the apple doesn't fall too far from the NYU COD tree - ~$85k/year. Scary COA numbers given the earning potential of hygienists.

Members don't see this ad :)

There are a few tracks:

For the Associate of Applied Science: 2 year AAS, 3 year (part-time) AAS, and accelerated 17 month program.

For the bachelor of science: 4 year track & an accelerated track as well.

The cost differs according to the track you decided to pursue.

All of the info is on the NYU Dental Hygiene website!

What do you mean by earning potential of Dental Hygienists?

Last edited:
The price I quoted above was for the AAS or BS program, and is based on an academic year cost - so even if you did the program in 2 years its still $170k plus interest, if you did four years for a BS, presumably that's $340k plus interest.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something on NYU's site, that's a lot of money to take out for a job that makes $74k annually on average. I know many hygienists who have struggled to find solid FT employment and have to piece together a couple PT jobs to fill in their week.

Are there any other cheaper options for you?

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-9_12-54-11.png
    upload_2018-5-9_12-54-11.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 72
  • upload_2018-5-9_12-54-31.png
    upload_2018-5-9_12-54-31.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 83
Go to a community college.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations on your acceptance! We don't get many threads about DH on here but they are always welcome.

If at all possible, I would look into options that are less expensive, such as those already mentioned above. You don't need to get a BS to be a hygienist but if you have intentions to do academics afterward, I'm sure it will be helpful. If you decide on something other than NYU, I would make sure that you get certified to do local anesthesia, whether it be through the program itself or through CE.

Are you from the NY area?

Congratulations on your acceptance! We don't get many threads about DH on here but they are always welcome.

If at all possible, I would look into options that are less expensive, such as those already mentioned above. You don't need to get a BS to be a hygienist but if you have intentions to do academics afterward, I'm sure it will be helpful. If you decide on something other than NYU, I would make sure that you get certified to do local anesthesia, whether it be through the program itself or through CE.

Are you from the NY area?

Yes I am from the NY area!

I was accepted with a huge scholarship, so I have to pay about 20K per year - totaling at about 40K for the 2 year program. Ideally I think I'd like to go to dental school, but my science GPA is not in my favor. sGPA for the dental school requirements is lower than 3.2, was going to take this as a means to increase my science GPA. I didn't want to do a post-bacc because it costs way too much money and i wouldn't really have a back-up if i decide not to do dental school. If dental school doesn't work out, I still want to be in the dental field and thought this would be a good plan, to be certified as dental hygienist.

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

I can't give you any info on whether dental schools will look more favorably at you with a DH degree or not, but I can't fault your plan too much.

Yes I am from the NY area!

I was accepted with a huge scholarship, so I have to pay about 20K per year - totaling at about 40K for the 2 year program. Ideally I think I'd like to go to dental school, but my science GPA is not in my favor. sGPA for the dental school requirements is lower than 3.2, was going to take this as a means to increase my science GPA. I didn't want to do a post-bacc because it costs way too much money and i wouldn't really have a back-up if i decide not to do dental school. If dental school doesn't work out, I still want to be in the dental field and thought this would be a good plan, to be certified as dental hygienist.

I'd love to hear what you guys think.
What's your educational history? I think DH degree will certainly help a little, some of the most competent students in my class were hygienists. That said, the school wants to be sure you'll be able to make it through the didactic part of the curriculum, and your science/BCP GPA is probably one of the best predictors. The hygiene program will help boost those numbers, I think. I'm going to move this thread into pre-dental, where I think you may get more helpful answers.

What's your educational history? I think DH degree will certainly help a little, some of the most competent students in my class were hygienists. That said, the school wants to be sure you'll be able to make it through the didactic part of the curriculum, and your science/BCP GPA is probably one of the best predictors. The hygiene program will help boost those numbers, I think. I'm going to move this thread into pre-dental, where I think you may get more helpful answers.

I majored in Chemistry & Public Health and went to a prestigious private university.

I am deciding between doing the dental hygiene to boost my science GPA or an MPH and then pay to take extra science classes.

Hello and congrats.. was wondering if you received a scholaship through the NYU dental hygiene program? NYU dental hygiene programs tuition is very expensive.