NYU Medical School- My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturedrA1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dream school is to get into NYU. I know now its way more competitive now that tuition is free. What are my chances... I've gotten mostly B's in my prerequisite sciences. Here's what I've got so far. If you have and recommendations for a school list, please foward! Thank you.

Junior undergrad @ Uni Honors College
3.5 cGPA 3.3 sGPA
no Mcat yet
Bio major
C in gen chem 2 and physics 1
W in precal and trig
shadowing 2 specialties
magazine staff writer
mentee at uni's mentoring program for undergrad (host: alma mater med school)
hospital volunteer
fundraiser volunteer for sick children
Anticipating one year of research with my honors college (health based)
No mcat yet
Anticipating a scribe job possibly next semester or during gap year

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think anyone can give you advice on your chances of getting into a specific school. It's impossible to predict. I would advise you to score above a 520 with your current GPA to consider applying to a school that is as stat focused as NYU.

Reactions: 1 users
Not great with your GPA.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t let it discourage you because you need to continue being as motivated as possible to get into an allopathic US MD program, but in my opinion with that gpa independent of everything else even if you’re from an undergrad like Harvard you have a very slim chance unless URM in which case I would still say the chance is very low

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t let it discourage you because you need to continue being as motivated as possible to get into an allopathic US MD program, but in my opinion with that gpa independent of everything else even if you’re from an undergrad like Harvard you have a very slim chance unless URM in which case I would still say the chance is very low
This is also my impression from four years ago when I applied so I imagine it’s even more competitive now with applicants always getting stronger on top of their free tuition.

My dream school is to get into NYU. I know now its way more competitive now that tuition is free. What are my chances... I've gotten mostly B's in my prerequisite sciences. Here's what I've got so far. If you have and recommendations for a school list, please foward! Thank you.

3.5 cGPA 3.3 sGPA
no Mcat yet
Bio major
W in precal and trig
shadowing 2 specialties
magazine staff writer
hospital volunteer
No mcat yet
At this point in time, chances are zero.

Chances for MD are circling the drain, especially with that sGPA
Fine for DO

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with Goro.

NYU is arguably one of the most competitive medical schools in the country.

A 3.5c/3.3sGPA puts you in a mediocre position for any allopathic school; NYU is basically off the table unless the stars align and you score a 528.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree with Goro.

A 3.5c/3.3sGPA puts you in a mediocre position for any allopathic school; NYU is basically off the table unless the stars align and you score a 528.
And they get some quite impressive ECs: Peace Corps, Teach for America, or military service comes to mind, as do first-author papers in decent journals. And a 523+ MCAT score and 3.8+, preferably 4.0 from here on out. Then OP might be competitive. Might be. That would give them around a 3.65 cGPA. Don't know what the sGPA would be.

Fine for DO
Yeah...he needs a lot to be competitive for top 20s, unless he has some insane lifestory he hasn't told us, like being an Olympic medalist. Even then, he needs a 520+ MCAT and better ECs to even have a shot. For regular MDs? 515+ and a thousand hours' worth of volunteering might do it, plus 3.8+ for the rest of his college career.

Thank you for replying, I still have a good chance at ending with a 3.6 sgpa and 3.7 csgpa

Fine for DO

Thank you for your response. Would you say 3.7gpa would put me in better standing (with a strong upward trend)?

Thank you for your response. Would you say 3.7gpa would put me in better standing (with a strong upward trend)?
Yes. Top 20s are a crapshoot in almost all cases; the exceptions involve very unusual circumstances. If your dad could build the FutureDrA1 Library at NYU you'd know it. You'd also need a 520+, preferably 523+ for top-20 schools. And some better ECs, like several hundred hours of hospice work at a minimum - or Peace Corps or Teach for America, preferably. For MD? 515+/3.7 with strong upward trend, you're good.

NYUs 25%-75% MCAT is 518-523 with 521 being the median. NYUs cGPA is 3.83-3.97 and sGPA 3.80-3.98 with median being 3.92 for both. Right now you’re not at the 10% for NYUs GPA which is a 3.71. Need To maintain a 4.0 from here on out and get a man exceptionally strong MCAT score (520+). NYU does interview a lot of students also so you need to practice MMI. Even with all of this, chances are extremely slim unless you have ties with NYU. Focus on doing the best to your abilities and do not focus on any one school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Given how competitive NYU is going tobe, I'm going to be conservative and say no. I'd say more like 3.9. NYU can now afford to turn away Harvard/Stanford/WashU class students.

At the same time, looking back at the application process, I know free tuition is unreal (it wasnt even a possibility when I applied other than CCF so I didnt have that added stress really of vying for a free ride) and I dont know your SES but if you were to get into any US MD school and work hard and have a good CV you'll be able to do what you want to do in life and have amazing job security, having gone to a state MD program and not having doors closed to competitive residencies applying this current cycle. You need to bring your GPA up but focusing on NYU solely is going to mess with your mind

At the same time, looking back at the application process, I know free tuition is unreal (it wasnt even a possibility when I applied other than CCF so I didnt have that added stress really of vying for a free ride) and I dont know your SES but if you were to get into any US MD school and work hard and have a good CV you'll be able to do what you want to do in life and have amazing job security, having gone to a state MD program and not having doors closed to competitive residencies applying this current cycle. You need to bring your GPA up but focusing on NYU solely is going to mess with your mind

Thanks for the advice! I’m a hard worker and I’m determined and motivated to reach my goal. NYU might be a long shot, but it’d still be amazing to gain admission. My other top choices would be UF or UM Miller. I know my gpa will definitely go up given the amount of science class I have left to complete. So I still think I have a fair chance.

Given how competitive NYU is going to be, I'm going to be conservative and say no. I'd say more like 3.9. NYU can now afford to turn away Harvard/Stanford/WashU class students.
Holy mackerel: NYU, now more competitive than Harvard. How might he fare if he had a 3.7, a 523, and Peace Corps? How about if he had that same 3.7...but had two first-author papers in decent journals, a 525, and was a Special Forces combat medic with a Silver Star? Would a 3.7 need something truly jaw-droppingly rare, like a MacArthur Genius Grant or a full professorship at a top university in order to be considered?

Holy mackerel: NYU, now more competitive than Harvard. How might he fare if he had a 3.7, a 523, and Peace Corps? How about if he had that same 3.7...but had two first-author papers in decent journals, a 525, and was a Special Forces combat medic with a Silver Star? Would a 3.7 need something truly jaw-droppingly rare, like a MacArthur Genius Grant or a full professorship at a top university in order to be considered?
Not even that man. They will ONLY consider you if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend

Reactions: 1 users
Forget scribing while an undergrad and only do a minimal amount of direct clinical volunteering or working with those less fortunate. Forget fundraising - your ECs are not going to get you in any MD school on their own.

Your one and only job for the remainder of junior year and all of senior year is to get As. That's it. With a small amount of effort dedicated to make sure that you learn the concepts that will be on the MCAT.

Study for and take your MCAT after graduation, take a gap year and work as a scribe and volunteer more. Apply after that.

Depending on your final GPA you may need another year of postbacc classes to raise your GPA unless you are 520+ on the MCAT.

3.5 cGPA 3.3 sGPA
no Mcat yet
Bio major
W in precal and trig
shadowing 2 specialties
magazine staff writer
hospital volunteer
No mcat yet

Forget scribing while an undergrad and only do a minimal amount of direct clinical volunteering or working with those less fortunate. Forget fundraising - your ECs are not going to get you in any MD school on their own.

Your one and only job for the remainder of junior year and all of senior year is to get As. That's it. With a small amount of effort dedicated to make sure that you learn the concepts that will be on the MCAT.

Study for and take your MCAT after graduation, take a gap year and work as a scribe and volunteer more. Apply after that.

Depending on your final GPA you may need another year of postbacc classes to raise your GPA unless you are 520+ on the MCAT.

NYU median is already 520+. A 520+ will not salvage a low GPA at NYU.

NYU median is already 520+. A 520+ will not salvage a low GPA at NYU.
I was really referring to admission to any MD but yes NYU would still be a stretch at 3.6/520.

Agree with Goro.

Speaking from personal experience, as someone with a 3.5c/3.4s and for whom the stars did align, even this is not enough - I got a hold and then a rejection from NYU.

It’s silly to speculate because he doesn’t have any of that and probably never will.

Thanks for the advice! I’m a hard worker and I’m determined and motivated to reach my goal. NYU might be a long shot, but it’d still be amazing to gain admission. My other top choices would be UF or UM Miller. I know my gpa will definitely go up given the amount of science class I have left to complete. So I still think I have a fair chance.

Frankly with your GPAs and ECs you should realize “it will be amazing to gain admission” to any medical school. Focus on your grades. Do exceptionally well in the MCAT, possibly think about a post bacc if your sGPA remains low and rework your ECs. You most likely will need a couple of gap years to get it all done. But you say you are a hard worker, start proving it and decide if you want to be a doctor or only a NYU doctor.