NYU MS - Oral Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChillCops!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to the Rutgers program? I believe it's half the price.

I did indeed! This was my first acceptance, and I haven't heard much about the program, so I wanted to make a post.

Hoping to hear more now that I know it's actually possible.. lol

I did indeed! This was my first acceptance, and I haven't heard much about the program, so I wanted to make a post.

Hoping to hear more now that I know it's actually possible.. lol
Best of luck!

I know a good amount about NYU as a whole. Feel free to PM me any questions.

Sorry, but I would do everything I can to avoid programs like this that don't give you a tangible working profile as an improvement to your application. Oral biology courses as a standalone are useless to your academic profile if they're not hard biomedical science designations. Do not enroll in this program unless you know you can enroll in legitimate heavy course loads with graduate medical coursework that will show your competence for dental schools. This means anatomy, physiology, microbiology, immunology, pathology, etc with medical or dental students. If you are insisting still on Oral Biology, I would also get something, in writing, by the Course Director that would allow and agree you to enroll in these classes in supplement to your basic requisites, since the registars at schools tied to dental programs give graduate students every resistance to taking things like this.

You'd be better off looking for cheaper MS Biology/Biomedical Science programs, or MS specialty programs tied directly to a dental program that allows you to partake in their coursework. Do not waste a ton of money on soft oral biology coursework.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I would do everything I can to avoid programs like this that don't give you a tangible working profile as an improvement to your application. Oral biology courses are useless if they're not hard biomedical sciences. Do not enroll in this program unless you know you can enroll in legitimate heavy course loads with graduate medical course designations, that will show your competence for dental schools.

You'd be better off looking for cheaper MS Biology/Biomedical Science programs, or MS specialty programs tied directly to a dental program that allows you to partake in their coursework. Do not waste a ton of money on soft oral biology coursework.
I agree with this. After looking through the curriculum on NYU's site, it seems that they offer courses both under college of dentistry and department of biology. In OP's shoes I would take the core requirement courses and then pick the electives under the department of biology for those hardcore sciences like cell biology, system biology, advanced immunology, special topics in physiology, etc. If OP can do well his chances can rise significantly.

After striking out completely this past d-school cycle, I started applying to a bunch of master's programs. And good news! I was just accepted to NYU's MS program in oral biology. It's been a while since I've heard good news like this.

Has anyone else applied and/or been accepted to this program? I have till May 12th to put a deposit down and hopefully I hear from some more schools soon... I'd just like to hear from any of you with experience, knowledge, or other intel regarding the program.

Please let me know!

If you did well in this masters program you would have a much improved chance of getting at least one acceptance into NYU or even another program.

I agree with this. After looking through the curriculum on NYU's site, it seems that they offer courses both under college of dentistry and department of biology. In OP's shoes I would take the core requirement courses and then pick the electives under the department of biology for those hardcore sciences like cell biology, system biology, advanced immunology, special topics in physiology, etc. If OP can do well his chances can rise significantly.
As far as I know, there are no actual "required" courses in the program. Everyone in the program takes Oral Biology seminars I and II (and you'd be crazy not to) - you gain a massive amount of exposure to the sciences you'll actually be using in dental school (a different faculty member from present each week), and will make connections to dental school faculty who you can do research with - a different dental school professor presents every week's lecture. Pretty much everyone in the program finds a research mentor through these two courses, who they end up researching with and getting letters of rec from. There are also courses in toxicology, immunology, cell biology, physiology that you can take.

I'm not exactly sure what thebign1989 is referring to when he says "tangible working profile" or "Oral biology courses as a standalone are useless to your academic profile if they're not hard biomedical science designations." - pretty much all of the courses in the program (besides public health and biostatistics) are considered graduate "biology" courses on AADSAS and will bring up your sGPA if you do well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
As far as I know, there are no actual "required" courses in the program. Everyone in the program takes Oral Biology seminars I and II (and you'd be crazy not to) - you gain a massive amount of exposure to the sciences you'll actually be using in dental school, and will make connections to dental school faculty who you can do research with. Pretty much everyone in the program finds a research mentor through these two courses, who they end up researching with and getting letters of rec from. There are also courses in toxicology, immunology, cell biology, physiology that you can take.

I'm not exactly sure what thebign1989 is referring to when he says "tangible working profile" or "Oral biology courses as a standalone are useless to your academic profile if they're not hard biomedical science designations." - pretty much all of the courses in the program (besides public health and biostatistics) are considered graduate "biology" courses on AADSAS and will bring up your sGPA if you do well.
Great to hear. Will definitely consider the program for myself when I apply the end of this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two things to note:
1) The program is officially a BIOLOGY graduate program, and that's what your diploma will indicate - Master of Science in Biology. You can write on AADSAS or on your resume that you have a "MS in Biology (Focus/Concentrating in Oral Biology)"
2) (If you're coming from undergrad where you didn't do well, or another career) There is no hand-holding in the program. It's just like every other grad or professional school in that you need to apply yourself outside of class (studying, reading the assigned papers and showing up prepared to class to discuss them) to do well in the courses. Just like anywhere else, you have to email a professor at the grad, med or dental school and ask to meet with them to discuss research - no one is going to hand you a lab and mentor on a silver plate. The opportunities are very much there, but you MUST proactively take advantage of them.

Living in NYC is expensive, but many people commute from home or have a roommate. I would suggest finding a roommate in the program.

Last edited:
Oh, maybe three things to note.
3) You can use DAT scores to enter the program, which will save you having to take both the GRE now and DAT later.

I think you should consider rutgers and barry biomedical science program since they are specifically for people with low stats trying to get into dental school and also they have a very high success rate.

Don't mean to crash your thread, but definitely look into Rutgers more. I'm almost done with the program and I have nothing bad to say about it. We are offered lots of opportunities to take medical and dental school classes. If that's what NYU is advertising, make sure they have a good selection for you and are not just offering 1 or 2 classes, especially for that price tag. Right off the top of my head, Rutgers offers at least 5 dental classes. Also, it goes without saying, but look to see where they've sent their students since you want to see a track record of grads getting into dental schools. I can tell you that the people who've left my program have gone off to Ivy's (Columbia, Penn) and a bunch of other places.

If you don't mind the price tag and think NYU can offer you the same or better, by all means put in that deposit. I'm just giving you an idea of what's out there. Hope you hear back from more schools. PM me if you have any specific questions!

I think you should consider rutgers

Don't mean to crash your thread, but definitely look into Rutgers more.

Yeah I applied to Rutgers and I'm hoping to hear back soon! (Also applied to BU, Tufts, George Mason/Georgetown, Wayne State, and Nova)

NYU is not my first choice mainly because of price-tag... This post was made mostly made out of excitement from my first acceptance and not having heard much from other SDNers. Regardless, I will put the deposit down if I end up not hearing from other schools by Mid-May.

Oh, maybe three things to note.
3) You can use DAT scores to enter the program, which will save you having to take both the GRE now and DAT later.

If you're still around... Is the length of this program one year or two years?

If you're still around... Is the length of this program one year or two years?
It's 36 credits - definitely doable in a year.
Some people do it in a year (much easier if taking research and some non-bio credits over the summer), most people finish in 1.5 years, some take 2 years.

Some people do it in a year (much easier if taking research and some non-bio credits over the summer), most people finish in 1.5 years, some take 2 years.
Thank you for the reply. Do you know if it's possible to start research and some non-bio credits before the fall semester, not after?

Also, are "Directed Individual Research in Oral Biology" graded or pass/no pass only? At my undergrad institutions, individual research is usually P/NP. I prefer graded since I want to raise my GPA...

Last edited:
I just got accepted! Is there a Facebook group for accepted students yet for the 2017-2018 academic year?

Congrats! Just focus on your studies, don't overwhelm yourself, have fun sometimes and try to get A's if possible.

Don't mean to crash your thread, but definitely look into Rutgers more. I'm almost done with the program and I have nothing bad to say about it. We are offered lots of opportunities to take medical and dental school classes. If that's what NYU is advertising, make sure they have a good selection for you and are not just offering 1 or 2 classes, especially for that price tag. Right off the top of my head, Rutgers offers at least 5 dental classes. Also, it goes without saying, but look to see where they've sent their students since you want to see a track record of grads getting into dental schools. I can tell you that the people who've left my program have gone off to Ivy's (Columbia, Penn) and a bunch of other places.

If you don't mind the price tag and think NYU can offer you the same or better, by all means put in that deposit. I'm just giving you an idea of what's out there. Hope you hear back from more schools. PM me if you have any specific questions!

Do you know what the percentage is of students out of the Rutgers program that get into dental or medical school?

Hey there, I was accepted into the NYU program as well. Still waiting on responses from BU and Tufts. If you're going for the NYU program PM me!

Hey there, I was accepted into the NYU program as well. Still waiting on responses from BU and Tufts. If you're going for the NYU program PM me!

Do you know of anyone who's completed the program? I haven't heard much about NYU, so I'm hesitant to commit. I also got into the Rutgers program, and I feel like that might be a good option.

Do you know of anyone who's completed the program? I haven't heard much about NYU, so I'm hesitant to commit. I also got into the Rutgers program, and I feel like that might be a good option.
I am in the same position deciding between the two. From what i have read and heard the Rutgers program sounds more developed and its a more organized i think.

I am in the same position deciding between the two. From what i have read and heard the Rutgers program sounds more developed and its a more organized i think.

Same here. I've heard of a lot of people who got into good dental schools after the Rutgers program, but I don't know a single soul who completed the NYU one.

How can you finance the program? Is it possible that I can take out loans to finance the entire program, as well as my living expenses in New York?

After striking out completely this past d-school cycle, I started applying to a bunch of master's programs. And good news! I was just accepted to NYU's MS program in oral biology. It's been a while since I've heard good news like this.

Has anyone else applied and/or been accepted to this program? I have till May 12th to put a deposit down and hopefully I hear from some more schools soon... I'd just like to hear from any of you with experience, knowledge, or other intel regarding the program.

Please let me know!
hey what did you end up deciding? i wish i came across this thread earlier--i'm actually starting this nyu program next month!

Hey dentistrox, I'll be attending NYU this fall as well!
Hey guys !!! I am super interested in applying to the program for the spring! Is it true that if you've completed the program successfully that you have a spot in NYUCD ?

Does it have a linkage to their dental school? congrats!
When I called they said the masters program is a bridge to the dental school. If you complete the courses with a high GPA and score at least a 20 or 21 in each section you should be fine

Hey guys !!! I am super interested in applying to the program for the spring! Is it true that if you've completed the program successfully that you have a spot in NYUCD ?
hi!! i haven't started there yet but i would think it's pretty universal with programs like this that admittance into dental school is never a guarantee. it will definitely put you in the right direction, allowing you an opportunity to raise your gpa, build some research experience, etc. in addition, interacting with nyu faculty will give you a chance to make a good impression on them, which they will probably remember when evaluating your NYUCD application if you do ultimately choose to apply (though keep in mind the opposite is also true). anyone correct me if i'm wrong!

Hey guys, thinking of applying to the NYU biology MS, is anyone who was on this thread currently enrolled in it? Care to share some thoughts?

Thanks

Hey dentistrox, I'll be attending NYU this fall as well!
Did you complete this program? How was it and would you recommend it? I was accepted but have not received any information from the program yet.

Did you complete this program? How was it and would you recommend it? I was accepted but have not received any information from the program yet.

I'm completing my thesis now and headed to NYUCD this year! If you work super hard, I say it's definitely worth it if NYUCD is your top choice.