This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year internal medicine resident who is looking to move to NYC for my HPM fellowship. I've been very fortunate to have interviewed at the palliative medicine fellowship programs for NYU, New York Presbyterian (Columbia+Cornell Bicampus), and Memorial Sloan Kettering. I know that I'm going to be ranking these in my top 3 but I'm not sure how to order them. Here are my thoughts so far on each:

NYU
-Fellows seemed very happy, seemed their overall experience was chill with great work/life balance
-I love that it has a 3 hospital experience, Tisch, Bellevue, and the VA (I rotate at a VA now and really enjoy this patient population)
-Great location in Manhattan
-Hospitals all close in distance to each other
-VNS hospice experience (shared by all NYC programs)
-Opening up their own 4 bed inpatient palliative unit
-Only weekend call at Bellevue, and it's home telephone call
-Ambulatory experience is half VA and half NYU

MSKCC
-Incredible institution, world renowned cancer center with really unique patient population
-Fellows seemed more stressed, only 2 were available for meet and greet as rest were working
-Great clinical training, but most intense work schedule of the three
-VNS hospice experience
-Weekend call every few weeks, seems busy when on call
-Ambulatory is all telehealth, but fellows build their own patient panel of 10 continuity patients

NYP (Columbia+Cornell)
-Unique bicampus program offers training at both Columbia and Cornell
-Most fellows live near Cornell and take shuttle to Columbia
-Busy inpatient service with some overnight weekday call and weekend call, doesn't seem stressful
-Fellows seem happy and chill
-VNS hospice
-Ambulatory is split between Columbia and Cornell-with Cornell's clinic imbedded in their onc clinic, Columbia clinic doesn't seem that fellows get their own patient panel rather follow an a attending's patients

I've left out a lot, but this is what I remember off the top of my head about each. I know I can't go wrong at any of these, but any additional insight into these programs would be much appreciated as I'm not currently sure how to rank them.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you've covered them pretty well. It really comes down to culture of where you want to be for a year. NYU has many rotations/sites so you will get a wide breadth of experience - pretty laid back and supportive. NYP is busy, lots of pathology, more call but overall nice and laid back culture - pays well. MSK is fantastic symptom management, very busy, more call - probably less communication (people don't fly to MSK from all over the world to be "talked out" of cancer treatment.

Reactions: 1 user