NYU vs Robert Wood (Full Ride)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2b2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was all set to go to Robert Wood Johnson Medical School with a full ride for tuition for four years. However, NYU just sent me an acceptance yesterday. If I go to NYU, I'm looking at 250K+ debt unless they give me aid. At RWJ, I would be about 60-80K which is to cover living expenses. Obviously NYU carries a bigger name, great teaching hospital (Bellvue), and a great match list. RWJ's match list isn't too bad. I just want your thoughts. I'm still leaning towards RWJ but I'd like people's opinion. I still have about two weeks to decides. Many thanks on your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I was all set to go to Robert Wood Johnson Medical School with a full ride for tuition for four years. However, NYU just sent me an acceptance yesterday. If I go to NYU, I'm looking at 250K+ debt unless they give me aid. At RWJ, I would be about 60-80K which is to cover living expenses. Obviously NYU carries a bigger name, great teaching hospital (Bellvue), and a great match list. RWJ's match list isn't too bad. I just want your thoughts. I'm still leaning towards RWJ but I'd like people's opinion. I still have about two weeks to decides. Many thanks on your thoughts.

Unless you're sitting on tons of old money I think it would be foolish to pass up the full ride. That is a huge huge difference in indebtedness

I agree. While it may be tempting now, I know you'll thank yourself later when you will have significantly less debt and will be in a residency program with NYU grads as your peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
why not ask both schools how their students do on board exams and whether or not a large % of them get into the residency of their choice? That way you will know whether or not RWJ or NYU has a better education, because knowing how the end product does will give u a good indication of how those 4 years are spent.
Meaning if the students at RWJ get into top residency programs, then you should be able to as well, and just go for RWJ

If I where you I would definitely choose Robert Wood Johnson. This would not be a tough decision for me.

OP-Didn't you post last 2 months ago that you got into NYU? Now you are posting that you got in yesterday? Anyway, assuming you aren't lying my vote is for Robert Wood.

This is a no-brainer. I would definitely choose NYU over public any day. Sure, you get a full ride, but at what expense? But then again, there other factors - where your hometown is, suburb or city lifestyle, and debt (which is not that important since almost EVERYONE is in debt in some way or another after med school.)

my .02 cents.

NYU may be a good school and sound all fancy schmancy, but are you seriously considering turning down a full ride and willing to be 250k+ in debt?

This is a no-brainer. I would definitely choose NYU over public any day. Sure, you get a full ride, but at what expense? But then again, there other factors - where your hometown is, suburb or city lifestyle, and debt (which is not that important since almost EVERYONE is in debt in some way or another after med school.)

my .02 cents.

$250K+ and 60-80K is a huge difference in debt. add in interest rates and the years paying it off, no question which is the more financially sound choice.

I had to make a similar decision last year. Despite much more financial aid from RWJMS, I picked a more prestigious school (about equal footing with NYU). We have worked so hard to get where we're at, why settle? You don't want to look back and say, oh yea I had a chance to go to a GREAT medical school and I turned it down. Especially if you want to get into a good residency, those connections are important and RWJMS just doesnt compare. In the end it's up to you.

OP-Didn't you post last 2 months ago that you got into NYU? Now you are posting that you got in yesterday? Anyway, assuming you aren't lying my vote is for Robert Wood.

No that wasn't NYU that he posted about it was Einstein and some other school.

OR...
Pick the school that you like the most, where you feel is the best environment you want to be in.
you're gonna be there for the next four years of your life studying your ASS off... you might as well make it a goood place to study your ass off. Regardless of prestige/debt/etc. If you end up not liking it, it won't matter how much money you'll end up paying back or whatnot

No that wasn't NYU that he posted about it was Einstein and some other school.

Nope, it was NYU I just checked his previous posts. Whatever though it doesn't really matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
just think that after you paid off your nyu debt...you could have been an MD and driving a Ferrari

$250K+ and 60-80K is a huge difference in debt. add in interest rates and the years paying it off, no question which is the more financially sound choice.

True, but a debt is a debt nonetheless. A white dog covered in little mud or lots of mud is still dirty. Plus, there is a difference betw buying a 99cents sunglasses and buying a Ray-Ban. Why sacrifice quality for money?

EDIT: not saying Robert Wood is crap, just saying the quality of education compared to NYU.

True, but a debt is a debt nonetheless. A white dog covered in little mud or lots of mud is still dirty. Plus, there is a difference betw buying a 99cents sunglasses and buying a Ray-Ban. Why sacrifice quality for money?
hahaha..you just compared robert wood to 99 cent sunglasses....

-ok im easily amused.

EDIT: not saying Robert Wood is crap, just saying the quality of education compared to NYU.

It's more like the difference between getting a 200 dollar pair of sunglasses for free vs. paying for a 300 dollar pair. Either school gives you a great quality education. It just isn't worth paying an extra 170k for the marginal difference in connections/education you will get at NYU.

i would go to rwj. if nyu were a consensus top 10 school, i might think about this differently.

If you got a full ride at any med school, you are clearly smart enough to do well anywhere. AKA, you will get any residency you want if you do well enough without the name factoring in. For my own curiosity, what kind of stats got you a full ride?

Personally, satisfying my ego isn't worth 150-200K. The education you receive at RWJ will get you just as far as the one you would receive at NYU, with the bonus of having the freedom to pursue the field that interests you most without worrying about paying back loans. I wouldn't let pride get in the way of a financially prudent opportunity.

Personally, satisfying my ego isn't worth 150-200K. The education you receive at RWJ will get you just as far as the one you would receive at NYU, with the bonus of having the freedom to pursue the field that interests you most without worrying about paying back loans. I wouldn't let pride get in the way of a financially prudent opportunity.

I agree with this. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I turned down some of the big name schools to take an undergraduate full ride, and I've never regretted it. I still feel like I got an excellent education with a lot of opportunities here, and finishing four years of college with no debt is a very good feeling. (Especially since I'll have plenty of that to worry about after the next four years!) Plus, not having to pay for college eased the need to work while at school and made it possible for me to afford some great travel experiences I probably wouldn't have been able to pursue otherwise.

I agree with this. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I turned down some of the big name schools to take an undergraduate full ride, and I've never regretted it. I still feel like I got an excellent education with a lot of opportunities here, and finishing four years of college with no debt is a very good feeling. (Especially since I'll have plenty of that to worry about after the next four years!) Plus, not having to pay for college eased the need to work while at school and made it possible for me to afford some great travel experiences I probably wouldn't have been able to pursue otherwise.

w00t i turned down cornell, ucla usc usc for full ride :)

I would say quality of education > school costs, but thats just my opinion.

I currently turned down 6 other acceptances (Einstein, Tufts and a few others) for a full ride at RWJ. The matchlist at RWJ is AWESOME. Compare NYU and RWJ matchlists and see what you think. I would think about debt, but also, location to family/friends. Send me a message if you want more specific details on my situation.

I guess coming from state school I just can't understand this mentality. But whomever said that you would be sacrificing education quality by going to RWJMS isn't thinking clearly. If you haven't learned by now, your education is really what you put into it. These are some of the truest words, so heed them. And even if they weren't true, I would bet money that the education and instruction you recieve at either place is equal in all ways.

The only real reason to go to NYU is if you're the type of person who really can't live without his trophies. There's no judgment in that statement, just an observation. You won't get a better education, you won't open any more doors for yourself for residency, and you won't impress very many people. Really, by going to NYU you are showing the world that you were a better applicant in a pool of amazing applicants -- thats your trophy -- but don't for a second believe that you're getting a better education or that your pedigree will ever make the difference by itself on the residency interview trail.

First of all, you will be a doctor either way.

But go with your heart. Make sure you will not regret your decision in the future.

If I were you, I would pick NYU no matter what. Better reputation, better school, better network.

This isn't a question about matchlists. As said above if you were offered full tuition you have to be "smart." Being smart will get you into what you want. (Granted you work like hell for it)

First of all, you will be a doctor either way.

But go with your heart. Make sure you will not regret your decision in the future.

If I were you, I would pick NYU no matter what. Better reputation, better school, better network.

Following your heart is not the way to ensure you don't regret your decision. In fact, you might seriously regret the decision to follow your heart when those loan payments start rolling out of your checking account.

Following your heart is not the way to ensure you don't regret your decision. In fact, you might seriously regret the decision to follow your heart when those loan payments start rolling out of your checking account.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::

It would be impossible to convincinly argue that NYU was a meaningfully "better" school than RWJ.

You WILL regret your decision if you turn down a free ride to medical school. If you go to NYU you will be able to pay off your loans, but you will regret it.

If you think you would be fine with regards to happiness at RWJ (which is seems like you would), I would not hesitate to go to RWJ over NYU. The only point at which I would begin to seriously consider NYU (unless the gap in projected financial debt narrows significantly) is if you would be miserable at RWJ and extremely happy at NYU for personal reasons (i.e. closer to family or something, although jersey really isn't that far from new york...).

I think for most people, happiness & professional success is dependent on their own efforts vs. being dependent on outside factors like school rank, etc. Pretty much, I don't think going to RWJ over NYU would significantly impact professional success while the immense difference in debtload would most likely impact future decision making and perhaps happiness.

I think it's not uncommon at all for people to turn down acceptances to higher ranked schools (even top 10 or top 5 schools) for full-rides at lower-ranked schools. It's a personal choice though and means evaluation of what someone values more with regards to financial freedom and prestige.

christ.....you ARE intelligent, after all you got accepted to two great medical schools.......don't be an idiot.

Just my $0.02, but I can see why this would be a tough choice for the OP. This year I got into my top choice school and was all set to go, until I heard from another school that offered a full ride and then some. For me it wasn't about reputation cos both schools are top 10 but where I felt I wanted to be for 4 years.

To the OP, don't choose NYU just because of reputation and don't choose RWJ just because of the money. You will be able to pay it back and if you no matter where you go if you do well, you'll match well. Go to a place where you are happiest, in the long run it'll probably be worth it.

thank you all for your comments. i'll make my decision once nyu sends me a financial aid package. if anyone has any other things to say, i'll gladly appreciate it.

thank you all for your comments. i'll make my decision once nyu sends me a financial aid package. if anyone has any other things to say, i'll gladly appreciate it.
howd you do it??? A full scholarship that is?

i get the angle you're trying to come at, but seriously, you're comparing a $200,000 in debt vs. going to school FOR FREE to a white dog with a little mud vs. lots of mud.

no amount of mud is comparable to 200K+.

ppl are comparing nyu vs. rwj, which of course anyone would choose nyu, cuz it IS a better school, although i'm not sure the education received would be better than if you went to RWJ (basing this on the premise education is what you put into it). ppl should be considering is going to a great school for $200,000 better than going to a good school for FREE.

dam i sound mad cheap.

I can understand the enviable position you are in from personal experience, but my opinion would be hands down, barring SIGNIFICANT financial aid from NYU (and even then I would never trust "matching" financial aid you get the first year - there's no guarantee for subsequent years) to accept your scholarship and go to RWD without looking back. If you can be happy at RWD, your own personal performance in medical school, not which medical school you attend, is probably the most important factor in your future success.

Good luck - no doubt things will work out as they should either way.

Just my $0.02, but I can see why this would be a tough choice for the OP. This year I got into my top choice school and was all set to go, until I heard from another school that offered a full ride and then some. For me it wasn't about reputation cos both schools are top 10 but where I felt I wanted to be for 4 years.

To the OP, don't choose NYU just because of reputation and don't choose RWJ just because of the money. You will be able to pay it back and if you no matter where you go if you do well, you'll match well. Go to a place where you are happiest, in the long run it'll probably be worth it.

So, I'm hoping some of the residents/attendings on the forum weigh in on my side. I have to reiterate that this really should not be a tough choice. NYU is not $200k more prestigious than RWJ. Your attractiveness in the match will not be $200k more.

I am not a fan of those who get on SDN and try to create unreasonable fear of student debt, but $200k vs. nothing is a BIG DEAL. The story would be much different if the full ride was at a low-prestige school that really could limit your residency options -- but this is not the case.

If you go with your gut, understand that your gut is going to cost you thousands a month for many years. Even if you feel you "fit" better at NYU, go to RWJ and if you feel down think of the hundreds of dollars a day you are saving to be in NJ instead of NYC.

go to NYU man it's not a hard decision 200K can be paid off in like 5 yrs after residency

If you think you would be fine with regards to happiness at RWJ (which is seems like you would), I would not hesitate to go to RWJ over NYU. The only point at which I would begin to seriously consider NYU (unless the gap in projected financial debt narrows significantly) is if you would be miserable at RWJ and extremely happy at NYU for personal reasons (i.e. closer to family or something, although jersey really isn't that far from new york...).

I think for most people, happiness & professional success is dependent on their own efforts vs. being dependent on outside factors like school rank, etc. Pretty much, I don't think going to RWJ over NYU would significantly impact professional success while the immense difference in debtload would most likely impact future decision making and perhaps happiness.

I think it's not uncommon at all for people to turn down acceptances to higher ranked schools (even top 10 or top 5 schools) for full-rides at lower-ranked schools. It's a personal choice though and means evaluation of what someone values more with regards to financial freedom and prestige.

x2.

RWJ is clearly a better choice. The debtload is extremely significant, and the schools would put you in the same place.

FYI: I am from the south and had to lookup NYU in the rankings to get a feel of them. They are not mentioned a whole lot at my undergrad (large state school).

Last edited:
x2.

RWJ is clearly a better choice. The debtload is extremely significant, and the schools would put you in the same place.

FYI: I am from the south and had to lookup NYU in the rankings to get a feel of them. They have no name down here.
dude...seriously...From the south here as well, and ive definitely heard of it.

It's never mentioned at my Undergrad. In my experience the common person doesn't esteem NYU with a 'wow' factor, unlike Columbia/Cornell/Hopkins. To be fair, I've met very intelligent pre-meds who will be accepted by multiple schools who were clueless of Mayo med school! Point being, don't let the name be the only basis of your decision.

Last edited:
go to NYU man it's not a hard decision 200K can be paid off in like 5 yrs after residency

Smoke a lot of weed at Berklee, dude?

$200k (and accrued interest) can be paid off "in like" 10 to 20 years after residency, maybe, but not 5 years...

Go to RWJ. Your first child will be a freshman at a private college the year after you pay off that 200 grand. The only rational choice is RWJ.

oh im sorry i didn't know you already finished medical school and experienced paying off $200,000+ in debt.

funny thing is though, you can pay off 0K in like 0 yrs after residency.

Different value systems. The only pieces of information that the OP has put out there for us are the financial aspect and "prestige." There may be other factors. Not mentioning them does not mean that they don't exist. For some people, only the money matters. Nothing wrong with that.

I think Zanzobar and shirtlessguy have good points. Don't put too much into one specific thing. Which one do you like more? Which one seems to have an environment in which you could thrive? I picked Columbia over UMass despite the prospect of having significantly lower tuition. The difference probably would have been about $100k. The financial aspect was significant, but other factors put Columbia over the top for me.

why not ask both schools how their students do on board exams and whether or not a large % of them get into the residency of their choice? That way you will know whether or not RWJ or NYU has a better education, because knowing how the end product does will give u a good indication of how those 4 years are spent.
Meaning if the students at RWJ get into top residency programs, then you should be able to as well, and just go for RWJ
This is a good point that is missed by many premedical students who are impressed or unimpressed by match lists.
1. Most are somewhat unfamiliar with specific residency programs, just because it is at a big name hospital does not mean it is highly desirable.
2. Match lists heavily reflect the interests of the student body, not necessarily how effective the school is at producing competitive applicants.

Even board scores may be misleading. If Harvard's ave board score is higher than, let's say, RWJ this could just as likely be due to Harvard having a slightly better student body (a bit touchy but you get my point) rather than Harvard actually having better teaching. In fact, I would say that that is much more likely.

Different value systems. The only pieces of information that the OP has put out there for us are the financial aspect and "prestige." There may be other factors. Not mentioning them does not mean that they don't exist. For some people, only the money matters. Nothing wrong with that.

I think Zanzobar and shirtlessguy have good points. Don't put too much into one specific thing. Which one do you like more? Which one seems to have an environment in which you could thrive? I picked Columbia over UMass despite the prospect of having significantly lower tuition. The difference probably would have been about $100k. The financial aspect was significant, but other factors put Columbia over the top for me.

very true. if being near family or friends, location, etc. are important to you, then also take those into consideration more heavily. honestly, if I were you, and i did not see myself happy at rwj, but VERY happy at nyu, then its an obvious choice. but if i see myself happy at both schools, then its an easy choice for me. i just can't stop seeing residents struggling financially, so it would seem wise to not just assume like some ppl on this thread that debt is easy to pay off. i know debt is debt, but why even have it if you can avoid it?