This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biggytooth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

If you had to choose between NYU and Touro, what would you decide?

NYU pros: Large patient pool, well established
NYU cons: price (duh)-- A good $25,000 more a year.

Touro pros: New clinic, a bit less expensive than NYU
Touro cons: Patient pool

Worth noting that Touro could increase tuition whenever, potentially matching NYU. I'd appreciate any advice, and especially if you faced this option.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should ask Touro graduates how it is like for them once they graduated.

...If you know what I mean.

Reactions: 2 users
I would go with NYU, just because they have already been established and you know what you are getting into your third and fourth years. That extra 25k per year is for the reassurment of the patient pool and not having the tuition going up on you. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with NYU, just because they have already been established and you know what you are getting into your third and fourth years. That extra 25k per year is for the reassurment of the patient pool and not having the tuition going up on you. Goodluck!

Thank you for your advice

100k for four years is worth a lot of money..
Are yo planning on working in New York?
If that's the case, I would go to touro because you will have to do one year residency.
You can get your dds or dmd from touro and do one year residency at NYU.

100k for four years is worth a lot of money..
Are yo planning on working in New York?
If that's the case, I would go to touro because you will have to do one year residency.
You can get your dds or dmd from touro and do one year residency at NYU.
What do you mean by do one year of residency when attend Touro? Is that requirement after graduation?

What do you mean by do one year of residency when attend Touro? Is that requirement after graduation?

New York state requires that practitioners complete a one year general dentistry residency before they can practice dentistry in the state.

Do you know what is 3rd and 4th year at Touro look like?

No, sorry. I chose not to attend Touro (nor NYU) and to reapply this cycle to my state school (which fortunately, worked out). But when I interviewed at Touro, I felt like I was walking around a ghost town. It's kind of out of the way, and I didn't see many patients around. Most 3rd and 4th years spend most of their time seeing patients, getting real life practice. I don't think dental students at Touro see as many patients as in other schools. In fact, when I asked the person who interviewed me about the number of patients around, she basically admitted they didn't have as many as ideally.

No, sorry. I chose not to attend Touro (nor NYU) and to reapply this cycle to my state school (which fortunately, worked out). But when I interviewed at Touro, I felt like I was walking around a ghost town. It's kind of out of the way, and I didn't see many patients around. Most 3rd and 4th years spend most of their time seeing patients, getting real life practice. I don't think dental students at Touro see as many patients as in other schools. In fact, when I asked the person who interviewed me about the number of patients around, she basically admitted they didn't have as many as ideally.
You refused two schools to reapply? That s alot of works and risky...what is your stats? I do some research and see they have 400 patients a day at Tourobut i dont know about NYU. What school you end up with this cycle?

Tough one here as Touro has nothing proven yet as they have not graduated a dental class. The major advantage here is cost even though you would likely get better training at NYU dental. That said, they are both schools and most of what you will need to know will come from actually practicing dentisty outside of school. If you decide to not reapply then, if it were me in your shoes, I would select Touro as cost will be much cheaper (assuming you correctly considered cost of living, etc. for both programs).

You refused two schools to reapply? That s alot of works and risky...what is your stats? I do some research and see they have 400 patients a day at Tourobut i dont know about NYU. What school you end up with this cycle?

It was slightly risky, but I met with the admissions department at my state school prior to deciding on this. Also, I only declined NYU's offer; I was on Touro's waitlist but opted to be removed because I wasn't confident in the training I would receive there. My stats were mixed; my GPA was ultimately around 3.50 at the time of reapplication (science GPA closer to 3.1). My DAT was a 23 AA and 24 TS. But I did a lot to better my application aside from the stats. I volunteered a lot at a community dental clinic, got a part time job in a dental office, and continued gaining valuable work experience in a field that demonstrates leadership and community involvement (education).
In making my decision about whether to attend NYU or risk reapplying, I simply asked myself whether it would be worth a lifetime of debt to become a dentist. I think dentistry is an amazing field that I would be very well suited for, being both artistically inclined and interested in working with people. But I wasn't willing to spend close to $600,000 to do it by attending NYU's outrageously priced program. (Yes, I should have investigated it better, but I didn't and then had to deal with how to face the potential repercussions).

Reactions: 1 users
It was slightly risky, but I met with the admissions department at my state school prior to deciding on this. Also, I only declined NYU's offer; I was on Touro's waitlist but opted to be removed because I wasn't confident in the training I would receive there. My stats were mixed; my GPA was ultimately around 3.50 at the time of reapplication (science GPA closer to 3.1). My DAT was a 23 AA and 24 TS. But I did a lot to better my application aside from the stats. I volunteered a lot at a community dental clinic, got a part time job in a dental office, and continued gaining valuable work experience in a field that demonstrates leadership and community involvement (education).
In making my decision about whether to attend NYU or risk reapplying, I simply asked myself whether it would be worth a lifetime of debt to become a dentist. I think dentistry is an amazing field that I would be very well suited for, being both artistically inclined and interested in working with people. But I wasn't willing to spend close to $600,000 to do it by attending NYU's outrageously priced program. (Yes, I should have investigated it better, but I didn't and then had to deal with how to face the potential repercussions).
Yeah, i feel you. So better to reapply. I wonder how we find the fund for schooling? Federal loan is limitted...

Yeah, i feel you. So better to reapply. I wonder how we find the fund for schooling? Federal loan is limitted...

Honestly, from what I can tell, there are really only two options for funding ones education aside from with loans or family assistance: HPSP or NHSC scholarships. Even though I will be attending my state school, I still applied for a Navy HPSP scholarship (which I'm still waiting to hear about). My state school wouldn't land me in the kind of debt that a private university would have, but I estimate it to still be around $375,000 or more (due to interest on loans). If I don't receive the scholarship this year, then I'll likely reapply during my first year of dental school for HPSP again. My debt load without the scholarship would be manageable, probably could pay it off after 10 years if I live frugally-- unlike had I gone to NYU and amassed $600,000 in debt-- but I'm still hoping not to have to deal with even that amount of loan repayment.

Gonna be attending U of MN

Honestly, from what I can tell, there are really only two options for funding ones education aside from with loans or family assistance: HPSP or NHSC scholarships. Even though I will be attending my state school, I still applied for a Navy HPSP scholarship (which I'm still waiting to hear about). My state school wouldn't land me in the kind of debt that a private university would have, but I estimate it to still be around $375,000 or more (due to interest on loans). If I don't receive the scholarship this year, then I'll likely reapply during my first year of dental school for HPSP again. My debt load without the scholarship would be manageable, probably could pay it off after 10 years if I live frugally-- unlike had I gone to NYU and amassed $600,000 in debt-- but I'm still hoping not to have to deal with even that amount of loan repayment.
Do we need co-sign for loans ? If that the thing, how poor students can afford it. Touro college has low tuition for a new private school but their other fee is supper high like administration fee.
Does anyone know we have thread for finding fund scholarships for dental school?

Do we need co-sign for loans ? If that the thing, how poor students can afford it. Touro college has low tuition for a new private school but their other fee is supper high like administration fee.
Does anyone know we have thread for finding fund scholarships for dental school?

You don't need a cosigner for government loans. There aren't that many significant scholarships for dental school. There are some available for minorities, I think, but most aren't that significant. As it stands, someone planning to attend dental school will either have to be able to pay a large portion upfront, accept government loans, be willing, fortunate, and able enough to apply for and then receive either a military or NHSC scholarship or some combination of all of these things. At least, this is what I have gathered.

I know they say the school you go to doesn't really matter but your situation does

Touro has the potential to be a great school but its too early in the game to make assumptions. If you attend Touro you risk being lab rats because the school is still trying to figure out what works best. if youre okay with this and dont think it will be a problem then i say choose Toruo over NYU

But if you're worried about Touro being a new school then choose NYU as it might be less stressful in terms of worrying about patients, jobs, etc