NYU Waitlist info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JM.

The Yellow Dart
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called NYU to ask if there was anythign helpful that could be done to increase ones odds of being taken from the waitlist. The woman with whom I spoke told me to:

1. send an updated transcript
2. a letter with any new developments
3. new letters of rec from some different people
4. that their date for positive yes/no is MAY 1st so they start drawing from the list after that date

good luck anyone waiting for this school (including myself)

Members don't see this ad.

anyone waitlisted here back from NYU yet? if so... please add when interviewed and placed on the waitlist.

thanks!

Hopie -

I am waiting too (well, obviously) and I haven't heard anything. I am settled in to wait some more. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called yesterday, and they said that only about 5 spots are open in the class, YUCK!!! Also, that wait-list movement wouldn't really happen until June. That is really bad, since I am starting to look for housing in DC, and will be signing a lease soon. When are other people's, "I give them until this date" date? I am trying to decide mine, and I keep moving it earlier and earlier so I can concentrate on GT, and being really excited about that.

Hi y'all,

A spot may free up soon. I may have gotten into my state school, need to call back on Monday to confirm, but if that is the case, bye bye NYC. Hello San Diego. Good luck y'all,

Z.

I withdrew on thurdsay - so there's another spot. Good luck y'all!!

I'm settling in to wait it out until the end. Hard to believe there's only 5 spots available, when other years there has been considerable waitlist movement at NYU. I wonder if the admissions office is playing with us for some reason, or if more spots will open up later as people accept waitlist spots elsewhere and withdraw from NYU. I'm remaining optimistic.

Other years, over half of the glass was taken off of the waitlist (appx 80), is this actually true? any NYU students out there? Is there any Reliable information out there? Thank you

Anyone interested in the NYU waitlist, also take a look at the "What about NYU" thread (started by Albinca).

USCman, what's your source on the half the class comes from the waitlist thing? FullofHope posted that a friend of hers who's a second-year says half the class is from the waitlist, so if you have a different source then I'd be more inclined to think that info is accurate. No offense to anyone, it's just that you have to take any second or third-hand information you hear with a grain of salt.

I just got off the phone with the admissions office. The woman I spoke to told me that there are about 20 spots in the class that will be filled by waitlisted people.

I'm just crossing my fingers.

Thanks for the info Vikas! That's great news. Maybe there is hope for us all!

Does anyone know how large the waitlist is?

Members don't see this ad :)
My thread is back - yippee skippy. Now I can obsess about it and Columbia too. Thanks for the updated info! When I called all I got was the list won't be looked at for anohter few weeks. I have to sign a leave too and was giving till almost the end of june - say june 20th to both these schools.

hey walker!

what is implied in signing a leave? i guess i've never heard of it....

-hopie

hopie

a leave is a typo for lease, alothough i am stunned i managed to do it - since the s and the v are so far apart

This thread is getting called up from page 5 to the big leagues, look out. This list will start movnig soon I can feel it.

hope you're right, jmwalker.

Originally posted by jennie 21
hope you're right, jmwalker.

me too ;)

WHEN will the NYU waitlist start moving? This is pure torture. I check the 2003 waitlist movement obsessively, but no...no movement yet.

What especially sucks is that I'm also waitlisted at Einstein and that list won't start moving till late June.

i called nyu thursday to update my address info... turns out they email acceptances as well as send the letters to your permanent address so i didnt need to update anything. i asked when the list may be moving, she said 3 weeks... last year they moved at the end of may but I guess we'll be waiting more.

just wanted to let you guys know, good luck friends!

Good luck y'all. Just withdrew a couple of days ago.

Z.

Zephyr,
Withdrew an acceptance or withdrew from the waitlist?

Originally posted by fullofhope
i called nyu thursday to update my address info... turns out they email acceptances as well as send the letters to your permanent address so i didnt need to update anything. i asked when the list may be moving, she said 3 weeks... last year they moved at the end of may but I guess we'll be waiting more.

just wanted to let you guys know, good luck friends!

thanks! I wrote them to ask too, I would like tto go there, columbia is dismal a tthis point.... but $hit in three weeks i have to sign a lease!!

any monday news or reports?

yes... my alarm didnt go off so i am officially 4 hours late to work. as of now, that is all Monday has to say for itself.

Zephyr,
Withdrew an acceptance or withdrew from the waitlist?

Acceptance. :)

Z.

Originally posted by fullofhope
yes... my alarm didnt go off so i am officially 4 hours late to work. as of now, that is all Monday has to say for itself.
bummer
at least you go tthe extra sleep

Thanks Zephyr :)

I called earlier today and they said that the list will start moving this week.

Cross your fingers everyone.

wow ! great, today then??

Wow, that's great news.

Vikas,
Do you know if they notify by phone, mail, or e-mail?

Hey Jennie21,

I know some of my information may appear unreliable, and i'm sorry about that... but when I called last week, they said email and mail to the permanent address. I think that the admissions people dont really have the same information... because we've all heard different stories when we call.

anyway, vikas, maybe you have some better input.

good luck this week everyone!

hopie

Hey FullofHope,
Don't worry about it. I never thought your information was unreliable; it's just that people seem to be hearing different things.

One of my friends who was waitlisted at NYU found out today that she got in. I think she got an e-mail. I'm majorly bummed that I didn't get a similar one, and I don't know how much more waitlist movement there's going to be. I'm trying to be optimistic, but I just don't know. Has anyone else gotten in yet?

Anyway, good luck to all of us who are still waiting.

Jennie.

One of my friends who was waitlisted at NYU found out today that she got in. I think she got an e-mail. I'm majorly bummed that I didn't get a similar one, and I don't know how much more waitlist movement there's going to be. I'm trying to be optimistic, but I just don't know. Has anyone else gotten in yet?

Ouch, I'm equally as bummed... but lets keep faith that they arent finished and we're the next on the list everyone!

or we can hope our email servers are just terribly slow!

:laugh:
or we can hope our e-mail servers are just terribly slow!

I only wish!

I guess if nobody on this board has gotten in, then they probably couldn't have pulled many people from the waitlist yet. So maybe there's still hope!

any news today? i haven't heard a peep...thinking of calling

Nope, no news here.

Ok - today I am going to call.

Give em hell... and then get me in baby!

Ok - she told me that they were in meeting right then to review applicants. I asked how many slots were currently available and she said none. She said that they are still waiting for final accepts/withdrawls to come in. Then I asked if there had been fewer withdrawls than in previous years and she said no - aboutthe same. then she said notification is email first then snail mail. Nothing new then.

Thanks for the info jmwalker. Interesting that she said no spots available, since somebody posted earlier that they called after May 15th and were told 20 spots available...wonder what that means.

Most years, more than half the class is taken from the waitlist. Accordingly, 80 or spots should be open eventually. That seems to support that atlaest 20 spots were open May15th, with many more now with people getting into better schools off of the schools respective waitlists.

BUMP bumpie wumpie thumpie
bring up my stinking post!

Anyone hear anything today?