Chances of matching into an academic Ob/gyn program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinthetailonthemedstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I've seen quite a few people posting about their chances of matching into their desired specialty but I haven't quite seen someone in my situation.

So I come from a pretty small medical school in the midwest, not top 40. I got a 224 on the USMLE Step 1 in June of 2017, which was lower than I was hoping but nothing I can do about that now. I'm doing alright on clerkships, but I've found it much harder to honor clinically than I expected. Our school recently changed their grading policies too so it's just been a mess. I haven't had my Ob/gyn rotation yet, but I have it in 6 weeks. I have a couple abstracts and a publication in the works. I also have some global health experience in India as well as a graduate certificate Bioethics (don't know how much that matters...). I'd like to match at an academic institution or if that's not possible then a community hospital but in a city, preferably on the east coast. Would that be possible, considering I'm coming from a very small school with a lower than average Step 1 score? Also, I'm worried about my LORs because they probably won't be coming from big names unless I get to go somewhere pretty big for my Sub-I next year.

So basically, what should I be doing to beef up my CV to have a decent chance at an academic institution? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be relatively fine. There are plenty of academic hospitals out there with good programs. Just apply broadly. Maybe figure out 1 or 2 places you really want to go to and then do an AI or two there. You're step 1 score is average for obgyn (not sure what the actual obgyn average step score but you can loook that up on charting the outcomes of the match), it's just what I see at our program (academic, 2nd tier). Also if you have resources at your school try to do some outreach like working at a free clinic, doing sex Ed stuff for schools (most PDs value this experience over research, except for the very top top programs).

Reactions: 1 users