Oblc 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start a new thread, who here is going to OBLC this year and where are you flying out of

Heading down on the 12th flying out of JFK

I'll be a hermit the first two weeks tho, step 2 on 6/28 after that we party

_____
Sent via electrons from an Apple Device

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll see you all there. Still, trying to square away the flight...awaiting an email or something? :confused:

I'll be there. Orders for the 12th from New Orleans.

Anyone know what the PT situation is like down there? Do we PT on our own or is it a platoon thing?

Also housing, is it individual rooms or squad bay

Anyone know what the PT situation is like down there? Do we PT on our own or is it a platoon thing?

Caveat: this is what happened when I did BOLC last summer and it may change for this year.

You do PT with the class a few days a week the first 3 weeks. After you do the APFT, they split you into 3 or 4 groups based on the 2 mile time. You will then do PT with this group. Most of the time you will do PT on your own after class is over. PT usually starts at 0530 and goes until 0700. Once you get to the field, you will be broken into two groups: 1 group (everyone who passed their APFT) will do combatives and the other group will do PT and run.

Also housing, is it individual rooms or squad bay

You stay in a hotel/dorm. There are two locations where students stayed: one was where most of the dental people stayed and they had their own rooms. This is where you will check in when you arrive the first day. The other place is where most of us stayed and is what I will describe.

There are two people per room with two beds, two closets, two desks, a TV, bathroom/shower, and a kitchenette with a mini fridge. Each room has two wired internet access cables for you to use but the internet is slow. There is a lounge on the main floor where they serve breakfast. There are laundry rooms available which are free. I can't remember if its on every floor or every other floor. There is a shopette across the street with a Burger King and a pizza place. Try not to go there in your ACUs because its a big hang out for enlisted troops. They do sell beer on base but you can't buy it until after 1700 if you are in uniform.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait...don't we have a "graduation" ceremony to attend that morning at 0800?

There is a graduation ceremony and you have to turn in your equipment afterwards so don't expect to be able to fly out before noon. Most people had flights in the early to mid afternoon. You can stay in the rooms until the next day if you want. You just have to let the people at the front desk know. I flew out the day after graduation around 0630.

Those of us arriving on the 12th only have to check in, correct? Are we allowed to leave the base afterwards? I wouldn't mind hitting up some of my old haunts the day/night before we start.

Those of us arriving on the 12th only have to check in, correct? Are we allowed to leave the base afterwards? I wouldn't mind hitting up some of my old haunts the day/night before we start.

Yea after you check in you can do whatever you want. Actually, any day you are at FSH you can do whatever you want after class is over.

Yea after you check in you can do whatever you want. Actually, any day you are at FSH you can do whatever you want after class is over.

This is good to hear. Are we also able to use the gym on base? I talked to some friends in the Air Force version and they said they had to "earn" that privilege.

For all those arriving on the 12th we should go out and have a bit of fun...aside from Slevin who will be studying :(

This is good to hear. Are we also able to use the gym on base? I talked to some friends in the Air Force version and they said they had to "earn" that privilege.

For all those arriving on the 12th we should go out and have a bit of fun...aside from Slevin who will be studying :(

I'd love to have fun but step 2 is on the 28th. Gotta bust it out. After the 28th we drink!

_____

Yea you can use the gym. I'm not sure if it cost anything but I had friends use it while we were there. The only problem is the gym is a pretty far hike to just work out. It's pretty much the complete opposite side from where the lodging is located.

After talking to friends who did Navy and AF, BOLC is less stressful and less restrictive on what we can and can't do. But we did much more fun things compared to them (except for the fire exercise my Navy friends took part of). My AF friends carried around rubber rifles while we had real ones. My Navy friends had to march to/from the DFAC to eat while we could go as we pleased. I liked BOLC though and learned a lot from it.

I'd love to have fun but step 2 is on the 28th. Gotta bust it out. After the 28th we drink!

_____

At least you get it out of the way before the 4th of July. We had that weekend off and a lot of people got passes to be able to travel over 50 miles. I stayed in town and had a lot of fun.

Wait...don't we have a "graduation" ceremony to attend that morning at 0800?
:shrug: beats me. i called down there to ask them about travel (especially since your travel day can't be on the 27th) The guy I talked to said that you could leave anytime on the 26th and some people would even be leaving on the 25th later in the day

Edit
I was just reading the discussion board on MODS and Arthur (the guy who answers everyones questions on the board) was saying that he was being told graduation was on the 25th.

:shrug: beats me. i called down there to ask them about travel (especially since your travel day can't be on the 27th) The guy I talked to said that you could leave anytime on the 26th and some people would even be leaving on the 25th later in the day

Edit
I was just reading the discussion board on MODS and Arthur (the guy who answers everyones questions on the board) was saying that he was being told graduation was on the 25th.

It seems if you ask three different people you'll get five different answers. Did you get all the "welcome" emails/attachments from the course advisor (or whomever it was)? I'd trust that information over what you see on MODS. I've found the info on there is often different from reality (based on classmates who've attended BOLC).

It seems if you ask three different people you'll get five different answers. Did you get all the "welcome" emails/attachments from the course advisor (or whomever it was)? I'd trust that information over what you see on MODS. I've found the info on there is often different from reality (based on classmates who've attended BOLC).
well the Arthur guy isn't some random dude, hes actually HPSP staff....so i guess that means he has some credibility. I'm gonna make a few more phone calls and read those emails thoroughly though.

Graduation should be the last Monday in July so I'm betting it is the 25th.

well the Arthur guy isn't some random dude, hes actually HPSP staff....so i guess that means he has some credibility. I'm gonna make a few more phone calls and read those emails thoroughly though.

Right, but his office doesn't oversee the goings-on at BOLC. A case in point is the living situation. They are adamant on MODS about how this "isn't a roommate situation," though my Welcome Info and testimony from others states that, Yes, this IS indeed a roommate situation.

Per the HPSP FAQs we were emailed:

Q: When is the BOLC Graduation?
A: Graduation is tentatively scheduled for 26 July 2011 at 0800 at MacArthur Parade Field. Time and location is subject to change. Family members are invited to attend.

If you'd like, I can give you these documents if you don't already have them. Hopefully my words don't add to the confusion.

Last edited:
Right, but his office doesn't oversee the goings-on at BOLC. A case in point is the living situation. They are adamant on MODS about how this "isn't a roommate situation," though my Welcome Info and testimony from others states that, Yes, this IS indeed a roommate situation.

Per the HPSP FAQs we were emailed:

Q: When is the BOLC Graduation?
A: Graduation is tentatively scheduled for 26 July 2011 at 0800 at MacArthur Parade Field. Time and location is subject to change. Family members are invited to attend.

If you'd like, I can give you these documents if you don't already have them. Hopefully my words don't add to the confusion.
I have them all....just haven't poured over them intensely yet

So when going to get your clothing list, did you guys have the HPSP recruiter go with you or did you just go to the store and pick it up yourselves

So when going to get your clothing list, did you guys have the HPSP recruiter go with you or did you just go to the store and pick it up yourselves

I just went to clothing sales and bought mine. Be sure to read up on how stuff is supposed to fit. ACU top should stop between top of hip pocket and cargo pocket. Beret size and patrol cap size are important. You'll have to try them on and make sure you are putting them on right to get the right size. ASU jacket should stop just at/below pants crotch, etc. I tried the ASU stuff on at clothing sales, but ordered it from Marlow White. I like their stuff better and it was the same if not cheaper than buying it all at clothing sales.

If you've got an id or orders, you should be able to go alone. But it's an individual comfort issue. If you want a wingman, you should take somebody who knows what to get, like a recruiter.

I just went to clothing sales and bought mine. Be sure to read up on how stuff is supposed to fit. ACU top should stop between top of hip pocket and cargo pocket. Beret size and patrol cap size are important. You'll have to try them on and make sure you are putting them on right to get the right size. ASU jacket should stop just at/below pants crotch, etc. I tried the ASU stuff on at clothing sales, but ordered it from Marlow White. I like their stuff better and it was the same if not cheaper than buying it all at clothing sales.

If you've got an id or orders, you should be able to go alone. But it's an individual comfort issue. If you want a wingman, you should take somebody who knows what to get, like a recruiter.

UGh great! I hope everything I just bought is up to standards. My recruiter kept saying it was all fine, but now im not sure.

Anybody who has already booked their flight, do you know if they are going to charge us at the airport? If so how do we go about getting reimbursed, or is it automatically done through Carlson-Wagonlit?

UGh great! I hope everything I just bought is up to standards. My recruiter kept saying it was all fine, but now im not sure.

Anybody who has already booked their flight, do you know if they are going to charge us at the airport? If so how do we go about getting reimbursed, or is it automatically done through Carlson-Wagonlit?

Everything is taken care of through C-W. Just make sure you fax/scan them your orders. You won't have to pay for anything. Also since you will be on AD when you fly, you should get an extra free bag. Make sure you have your orders with you when you fly.

Looks like I'll need to get my ASU before I head down there since I'm interviewing later this year. YIKES

_____

Looks like I'll need to get my ASU before I head down there since I'm interviewing later this year. YIKES

_____

What residency are you applying for? We had a hospital day with BAMC where we got to meet the residency directors and some residents afterwards. It was pretty cool except the ortho PD wasn't able to show up so I just kind of talked to other students and program directors to inquire about rotations and whatnot. I know we were told to contact the program before the rotation because not every program will have you interview in the ASU. Some may just want the ACU or scrubs.

If you guys/girls have your berets already, you should start shaving and shaping them before you go. It will free up some time when you are there so you can do other things.

What residency are you applying for? We had a hospital day with BAMC where we got to meet the residency directors and some residents afterwards. It was pretty cool except the ortho PD wasn't able to show up so I just kind of talked to other students and program directors to inquire about rotations and whatnot. I know we were told to contact the program before the rotation because not every program will have you interview in the ASU. Some may just want the ACU or scrubs.

I'm leaning towards IM but I'll have a better idea once I get my board scores back from step 2. I'm auditioning at SAMMC and MAMC

I picked up all my uniform stuff (save the ASU) a short while back. Ordered it all off the intraweb and hoped the sizing charts were good....turns out they were, lucky me. i just shaped my beret today, it was pretty simple and didn't take long at all:thumbup:

As for the ASU:

This paperwork seems to suggest we don't need it. It says that only those moving to their first duty station upon completion of BOLC are required to have the ASU. I interpret that to mean FYGME.

As for the ASU:

This paperwork seems to suggest we don't need it. It says that only those moving to their first duty station upon completion of BOLC are required to have the ASU. I interpret that to mean FYGME.

Well that could apply to the USUHS students, dental and vet corps. Almost all of the dental and vet corps were recent graduates and were PCSing. If you don't have to have it for BOLC then that's awesome. That should save you a good chunk of change.

Well that could apply to the USUHS students, dental and vet corps. Almost all of the dental and vet corps were recent graduates and were PCSing. If you don't have to have it for BOLC then that's awesome. That should save you a good chunk of change.

Yeah, but depending on where you interview you may need it sooner rather than later. I'll email the programs I'm looking at and see what they say

As for the ASU:

the link is currently down for the Alpha Company 187th. They have a crap ton of stuff all about OBLC and they have a little part which clarifies what the paper says about who needs what information. when the page is back up and running I will double check, but last time i was looking at it, it DID say that HPSP'ers need the ASU. I know the first time I started reading that paperwork I was confused as to what fancy uniform I needed to buy

the link is currently down for the Alpha Company 187th. They have a crap ton of stuff all about OBLC and they have a little part which clarifies what the paper says about who needs what information. when the page is back up and running I will double check, but last time i was looking at it, it DID say that HPSP'ers need the ASU. I know the first time I started reading that paperwork I was confused as to what fancy uniform I needed to buy

Q: Do I have to have the Army Service Uniform (ASU)?
A: The ASU is a required uniform item for all USUHS and HPSP students en-route to their first duty station. All others are not required to have them. The green Class A uniform is not an acceptable substitute.

Q: Do I have to have the Army Service Uniform (ASU)?
A: The ASU is a required uniform item for all USUHS and HPSP students en-route to their first duty station. All others are not required to have them. The green Class A uniform is not an acceptable substitute.
Is our OBLC considered out first duty station?? I do know that the second years here all got them while they were there.

Is our OBLC considered out first duty station?? I do know that the second years here all got them while they were there.
"Q: Do I have to have the Army Service Uniform (ASU)?
A: The ASU is a required uniform item for all USUHS and HPSP students en-route to their first duty station. All others are not required to have them. The green Class A uniform is not an acceptable substitute. " from the FAQ that was emailed out.

Your first duty station will be internship/residency/post residency station or USUHS. If you're just going to OBLC between medical school years and HPSP, you don't have to have the ASU.

"Q: Do I have to have the Army Service Uniform (ASU)?
A: The ASU is a required uniform item for all USUHS and HPSP students en-route to their first duty station. All others are not required to have them. The green Class A uniform is not an acceptable substitute. " from the FAQ that was emailed out.

Your first duty station will be internship/residency/post residency station or USUHS. If you're just going to OBLC between medical school years and HPSP, you don't have to have the ASU.
sweet.....a handful of benjamins i don't have to hand over (yet)

Later in the same letter it states that all participants of BOLC need the ACU, IPFU, and ASU, no matter what the component. I already got my ASU and will bring it just in case. Better to spend the money and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

if you are to report on the 12th is there a time you have to report by or is it anytime since class begins on the 13th?

Later in the same letter it states that all participants of BOLC need the ACU, IPFU, and ASU, no matter what the component. I already got my ASU and will bring it just in case. Better to spend the money and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I already have mine too. I've heard some audition rotations like you to wear it for your interview and you'll need it eventually anyway. Either way.

Tabascosauce:
The emails he sent made it sound like, if you report on the 12th, you don't have to be there at 1200. Classes don't start until 1745 on the 13th. It would give you time to go buy uniforms stuff if you need it on the 12th, but I think if you're there by 1600 and get checked in, that should probably be fine, right? His email left me kind of wondering on that one too.