Oblc 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think there is a policy requiring the carriers to give free bags to AD soldiers. I think its more of the carriers doing this to help/honor those who are serving and it probably varies depending on the carrier.

Yeah I think ur right Bleeker, however, I want to say a majority of carriers allow i think at least the first 2 bags for free. I know Airtran allows 3...just make sure you tell them you are military...actually had a airtran rep tell me that a couple weeks ago. What does it hurt to ask right?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to find that thread with the pdf of acceptable boots for OBLC, but I am unable. Anyone know if http://www.amazon.com/Danner-Desert-TFX-Rough-Out-Hot/dp/B002OSY33Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

will be ok? They're approved for AR 670-1 optional wear, but does that mean they work for OBLC? I've tried going through that huge document, but it's confusing and infuriating.

Yea those should work. Those look similar to my boots. I attached the pdf you are talking about. Don't get any books with straps since those are for tankers: http://www.amazon.com/Corcoran®-Tan...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1306713257&sr=1-2

Attachments

• Army Authorized Boots.pdf
    426.3 KB · Views: 50
I'm trying to find that thread with the pdf of acceptable boots for OBLC, but I am unable. Anyone know if http://www.amazon.com/Danner-Desert-TFX-Rough-Out-Hot/dp/B002OSY33Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

will be ok? They're approved for AR 670-1 optional wear, but does that mean they work for OBLC? I've tried going through that huge document, but it's confusing and infuriating.

I got a pair of Danners and they are way comfortable. The padding made me have to order a size up.

My recruiter told me that optional wear were fine for OBLC.

I have Belleville 390DES. I got a 9.5W and I normally wear an 11.5-12. I had a normal width at first but it was killing my feet so I went with the wides. I prefer a more classic looking boot compared to the more athletic looking boots. Plus my Belleville's help keep my ankles stable which is good since I have weak ankles. These are the boots I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Belleville-Desert-Tan-390-Boots/dp/B000EXRR0E

Also I'd advise getting some heel/shoe inserts and moleskin for BOLC. It can be easy to get blisters and sore spots. Moleskin was great to protect my heels.

Another great idea is to get under armour style sand under shirts instead of using the cotton ones. They wick away sweat quicker, dry faster and don't smell as much. I wore these a lot in the field, but I did develop a reaction to the material so I had to go back to the cotton shirts. This is the style I'm talking about:

http://www.dukeathletic.com/athleti...KE-Poly-Spandex-Tight-Fit-Short-Sleeve-Shirt/

Last edited:
Where exactly on our orders does it say when we are allowed to leave. New email came out saying that graduation is on the 25th and we can leave if our orders say we can.

I get there on the 12th, I'd love to be able to leave on the 25th to catch a concert on the 26th.

Where exactly on our orders does it say when we are allowed to leave. New email came out saying that graduation is on the 25th and we can leave if our orders say we can.

I get there on the 12th, I'd love to be able to leave on the 25th to catch a concert on the 26th.

I don't see one. All I can find is a report date and a period of 45 days, which, if you arrived on the 12th is July 26th.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was reading the latest email with the "final update" (or whatever it was called) attachment and it said that those whose orders go through the 26th (so 45 days later when starting on the 12th of june) must stay till the morning of the 26th. that makes it sound like we have to stay till the end

Question about canteens:

I thought I had read somewhere that it is advisable to get your own canteens, instead of using issue, as some have been issued filthy.

Are we going to be issued 1 qt or 2 qt canteens? And just 1, or 2? I have a camelbak, but I would rather carry extra water than run out.

Is THIS the 2 qt canteen?

Question about canteens:

I thought I had read somewhere that it is advisable to get your own canteens, instead of using issue, as some have been issued filthy.

Are we going to be issued 1 qt or 2 qt canteens? And just 1, or 2? I have a camelbak, but I would rather carry extra water than run out.

Is THIS the 2 qt canteen?

Don't get that canteen. Just go to the clothing exchange store on base. I think I paid $5 a piece for them. I had two canteens AND my camelback filled all the time.

This is the style I am referring to:
http://www.military-issue.com/campi...-quart-canteen-plastic-od-green/prod_115.html

I was reading the latest email with the "final update" (or whatever it was called) attachment and it said that those whose orders go through the 26th (so 45 days later when starting on the 12th of june) must stay till the morning of the 26th. that makes it sound like we have to stay till the end

What do your orders say? I just checked mine from last year and they said:
"Reporting date: 13 Jun 2010
On or about 27 Jul 2010 individual will proceed to " (my school since thats my home base).

The 27th was the Tuesday and we graduated the 26th. If your orders say something similar to mine, you should be able to leave the day of graduation.

What do your orders say? I just checked mine from last year and they said:
"Reporting date: 13 Jun 2010
On or about 27 Jul 2010 individual will proceed to " (my school since thats my home base).

The 27th was the Tuesday and we graduated the 26th. If your orders say something similar to mine, you should be able to leave the day of graduation.
I just read them over again and it doesn't say anything about the end date....just the start (june 12) and the duration (45 days)....so go figure:shrug: whats one day anyway I guess.....my flight leaves at 6:15 in the morning and I'll be home before noon anyway so I guess its not that bad

I went 2 years ago. We were able to leave directly after the graduation ceremony, which I think ran until mid afternoon. I drove, however, which made it much easier to leave.

I went 2 years ago. We were able to leave directly after the graduation ceremony, which I think ran until mid afternoon. I drove, however, which made it much easier to leave.

If they do things this year the way they did last year...you wont be able to leave right after the ceremony because everyone has to go turn in all their gear at the CIF afterwards.

If they do things this year the way they did last year...you wont be able to leave right after the ceremony because everyone has to go turn in all their gear at the CIF afterwards.
That's a good point. We had our CIF turn-in a day or two prior. That also reminds me of how blown away I was at how efficient CIF turn-in was compared to every other event over those 6 weeks. And I'm not kidding, they actually had us in and out very quickly for that.

Hey everybody, I was just added to the OBLC class this summer and I'm kinda scrambling to get everything together. Do you guys have any info on things we need to bring with us? I have all my uniforms and everything together, but I have no idea what other kinds of things we are supposed to bring.

Hey everybody, I was just added to the OBLC class this summer and I'm kinda scrambling to get everything together. Do you guys have any info on things we need to bring with us? I have all my uniforms and everything together, but I have no idea what other kinds of things we are supposed to bring.
Dito on this. I have my 90% of my uniform already except my ASU's. How much spare clothes should we bring? Do we have weekends off? Plus any other items we may need.

Last edited:
Also has anyone done any of their training online? I was wondering if anyone got the Composite Risk Management Basic course to work without a CAC? I have my AKO, but not a CAC.

What training can you do online?

I found these 2 in our welcome letter. I did the 1st one but cant seem to do the second without a CAC. It's not required to do beforehand, but I figured one less thing to do there.

.a. ..The first is Antiterrorism Awareness Level I (ATL 1). This training is available online at ..https://atlevel1.dtic.mil/at/.. and is an annual requirement..
. .
.b. ..The second is Composite Risk Management (CRM) Basic Course. This training is available online at: ..https://safety.army.mil/training/DISTANCELEARNINGONLINETRAINING/tabid/1210/Default.aspx.. (Will require AKO username and password). Must be completed only once in your career. .

Dito on this. I have my 90% of my uniform already except my ASU's. How much spare clothes should we bring? Do we have weekends off? Plus any other items we may need.

Take as much clothes with you as you want. During the week u are usually done before 6PM and then you are free to go out on the town. Most weekends you will have free so you can go out when you want. You are only required to be in uniform during the work day when you are assigned to be doing something, but once the day is over you can go back to the hotel and change.

Take as much clothes with you as you want. During the week u are usually done before 6PM and then you are free to go out on the town. Most weekends you will have free so you can go out when you want. You are only required to be in uniform during the work day when you are assigned to be doing something, but once the day is over you can go back to the hotel and change.

Nice. This means I'll bring my assless chaps down with me.

:laugh:

side note: anyone know what the connection-to-the-outer world is like when we do field training? its a couple of weeks right? if thats the case i'm guessing no internet, phones, etc.

I'm pretty sure we get weekends off. We won't be in the field that whole time. When I was in the corps the longest we had a field exercise was about 7 straight days...

We got all weekends off including a 3 (maybe 4?) day weekend for the 4th of July. I was able to get internet periodically from my iPhone with 1-3 bars out in the field/fob, but this was with AT&T and not 3G; so things may be better now.

We got all weekends off including a 3 (maybe 4?) day weekend for the 4th of July. I was able to get internet periodically from my iPhone with 1-3 bars out in the field/fob, but this was with AT&T and not 3G; so things may be better now.

Was there a place to plug in your electric gadgets?

Also what time were you done training while in the field?

There are a few power outlets in each tent that you can share if I remember correctly. The tents have AC, by the way, which usually work well as long as the generators continue working. Days were usually 0500-1800 +/- 2 hours depending on the day. Heat permitting there is an hour of combatives in the morning for those who passed their APFT or remedial PT for those who didn't, followed by chow, a bunch of silly formations, round-robin training in the heat, more chow, followed by more ridiculousness. If you come with any prior military experience you will likely gain very little from field training aside from some awesome hand/neck tan lines.

There are a few power outlets in each tent that you can share if I remember correctly. The tents have AC, by the way, which usually work well as long as the generators continue working. Days were usually 0500-1800 +/- 2 hours depending on the day. Heat permitting there is an hour of combatives in the morning for those who passed their APFT or remedial PT for those who didn't, followed by chow, a bunch of silly formations, round-robin training in the heat, more chow, followed by more ridiculousness. If you come with any prior military experience you will likely gain very little from field training aside from some awesome hand/neck tan lines.

Great, so a waste of my time. Guess I better get used to it

I just got my eticket stuff and began doing some searching on airline websites for baggage rules and heres what I found (only three for now, maybe i'll add more later)

I'm flying with us airways out there and this is what they say
Military baggage

Military personnel who are on active duty status or who have been discharged within seven days qualify for free baggage allowance. Military personnel may check 3 bags free of charge which can exceed 62 inches/157 cm in dimensions (but less than 81 inches/206 cm) and weighs 100 pounds/46 kg or less.

and delta on the way home
Will the first or second bag policy apply to active U.S. Military personnel checking bags?

No. U.S. Military personnel on active duty with travel orders may check in 3 bags in Economy Class and up to 4 checked bags in First/Business on Delta aircraft or Delta Connection® carriers, at no additional charge. Each bag has a maximum weight of 70 lbs (32 kg) and size of 80 linear inches (203 cm).

heres another biggie, united airlines
In addition, U.S. military personnel (and/or dependents) who are either active or traveling on leave in conjunction with a permanent change of station (military ID required) are exempt from the third bag fee, may check baggage up to 115 linear inches (292 linear centimeters) without paying oversized baggage fees, and are allowed to check baggage up to 70 pounds (32 kg) without paying overweight baggage fees.

it sounds like united still charges, but not for an extra bag and they allow for bigger than normal bags while delta and us airways is straight up free of charge for bags

Just got my eticket info. Anyone flying through DFW?

Also, here is the military baggage info for American Airlines

-Active U.S. Military personnel are allowed to check three pieces of baggage free of charge.
-Each checked bag in the free allowance may be up to 62 inches and weigh up to 50 lbs. The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
-Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders are allowed one bag in the free allowance up to 100 lbs. and 115 inches. The second and third bags are free of charge up to 50lbs. and 62 inches. Travel orders must be presented when checking the bag.
-Military ID must be presented. Traveling in uniform is not required.

Last edited:
Delta Airlines out of Manchester NH :)

:laugh:

side note: anyone know what the connection-to-the-outer world is like when we do field training? its a couple of weeks right? if thats the case i'm guessing no internet, phones, etc.

We only had Sundays off at BOLC, not the entire weekend. For the FTX, you can bring your phones but can't use them until a specified time in the evening. We were out there 5 days, 5 days and 4 days. We left on the Tuesday after July 4th for FTX. We had one day off between the two 5 day weeks and we were back at FSH. Between the 5 and 4 day week, I think we were back at FSH with a Saturday in classes and the Sunday off.

I have Verizon and the signal was spotty. I brought books to read, as did most other people. Some people read Rapid Interpretation of EKGs by Dubin. I read Band of Brothers and Blackhawk Down. I tried to stay away from medical reading as much as possible. A lot of people ran around the FOB or played some organized sport like soccer.

Does anyone know what situations they do the APFT under? I was running 2.5 miles, but have dropped down to about 1.5 miles due to the heat in NH. It was about 95 and humid, and I just burnt out real fast. I was never a big runner, and I'm hoping I can pass the test because I'm right on the cusp as far as minimum time goes. Not too worried about push ups and sit-ups just the run haha.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what situations they do the APFT under? I was running 2.5 miles, but have dropped down to about 1.5 miles due to the heat in NH. It was about 95 and humid, and I just burnt out real fast. I was never a big runner, and I'm hoping I can pass the test because I'm right on the cusp as far as minimum time goes. Not too worried about push ups and sit-ups just the run haha.

We did PT around 0530-0600. I think we did the pushups and situps around 0545 and the run around 0615-0630. It's warm but not as hot as during the day.

We did PT around 0530-0600. I think we did the pushups and situps around 0545 and the run around 0615-0630. It's warm but not as hot as during the day.

thanks, shouldn't be too bad then. I'm sure I'm in good enough shape where I'll at least pass by the end :(

After morning PT what time did classes start?

According to the schedule I got in my email it seems the majority start at 7:00, but some at 8:00 and some 9:00.

Anybody know how many of the modules we have to do on the fitness website? There are like 5 modules each for emotional, spiritual, family and social.

Here is the website. It was in the letter we got in the email.

According to the schedule I got in my email it seems the majority start at 7:00, but some at 8:00 and some 9:00.

I think most of our classes started at 0800 but we had to be in formation by 0745 which meant to be outside where formation is at least 10 minutes earlier than that. We usually got doen with PT around 0645 so we had plenty of time to go back to our rooms, shower, eat and make it to class.