Obviously fake MDapplicant profiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i dont get it
why is that obviously fake??
maybe i missed something

Members don't see this ad :)
melimi said:
i dont get it
maybe i missed something

i don't get it either :confused:

Wow, turning down Johns Hopkins for Midwestern U. [edited for sounding patronizing]

Though I'm not sure why someone would apply to JH and UC if they wanted to go to midwestern in the first place. that doesn't really make much financial sense.

I am glad I am not the only one with a target on my forehead. It's quite fun to see someone else have it.

Mr. Seeds said:
Wow, turning down Johns Hopkins for Midwestern U. I really admire OMS's who, given the choice b/w allo and osteo, chose osteo.

If osteo and allo schools had the same amount of prestige attached to them, do y'all think you'd still choose allo? I hate to admit it, but I think I'd actually prefer an osteopathic school. I think I like their philosophy better.

Anyways. Sorry. Random post :p

There is no school apart from yale and harvard that one should turn down hopkins for...

visualwealth said:
There is no school apart from yale and harvard that one should turn down hopkins for...

Well, I guess it just depends on what you really want in a school. And Baltimore sucks :p If you don't care about prestige, then what's the difference? Whether you're a DO or an MD, you're still a doctor. And maybe this dude got a scholarship. I remember one sdner deciding between a full ride at an osteo school vs. an allo school.

edit: although if i were in his shoes, i would have gone to hopkins in a heartbeat :)

visualwealth said:

Really? You'd turn Hopkins down for Yale. To me, that's a very curious choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would give my left kidney for a full ride to an allopathic school. Not the right one though...I like that one too much.

skiracer90 said:
I would give my left kidney for a full ride to an allopathic school.

you're not alone :D

This board is so politically correct it's unreal.

Of course that's fake. First, nobody who wanted to go osteopathic enough to pass the top MD schools would apply to ... 8 MD and 2 DO schools (?). Second, yes, I know it's heresy to imply that an osteopathic school might somehow be inferior to the very best allopathic schools (though you rarely see people defending the crappy allo schools vs the good allo schools), but .. yeah. anybody who thinks Midwestern U and Johns Hopkins are equivalent med schools needs less diversity training.

dmoney41 said:
anybody who thinks Midwestern U and Johns Hopkins are equivalent med schools needs less diversity training.

Odd reasoning. Care to explain?

dmoney41 said:

Of course that's fake. First, nobody who wanted to go osteopathic enough to pass the top MD schools would apply to ... 8 MD and 2 DO schools (?). Second, yes, I know it's heresy to imply that an osteopathic school might somehow be inferior to the very best allopathic schools (though you rarely see people defending the crappy allo schools vs the good allo schools), but .. yeah. anybody who thinks Midwestern U and Johns Hopkins are equivalent med schools needs less diversity training.

Just about everyone needs less diversity indoctr...er, training. I just didn't want to start the usual flamewar that invariably happens when osteo is discussed on the allo board.

tinkerbelle said:
medikit :love: how are all those tests going?

Haven't got the grades back, but now I'm moving into the next barrage of stuff. Pchem test this week. I won't be able to relax until the spring break when I can finally take a break and study for my cumulative pchem final :(.

dmoney41 said:

The person obviously wanted to be a DO, but not all DO's are the same. Perhaps they felt that if they couldn't get into the DO schools they wanted to go to it would be better for them to go to an MD school.

dmoney41 said:

I know it's heresy to imply that an osteopathic school might somehow be inferior to the very best allopathic schools.
no kidding.

its like, on SDN, you're never allowed to imply that something might be better/more desirable than something else, because that might hurt someone's feelings. instead, we have to prattle on about how everything is equal, every instution is great in its own right and can't be fairly compared with anything else in the universe, all forms of everything are always equally valid, blah blah blah.

SDN is like a microcosm of academia, which is fitting, in a way. so warm and fuzzy, so touchy-feely... :D (i still love it, though!)

superdevil said:
no kidding.

its like, on SDN, you're never allowed to imply that something might be better/more desirable than something else, because that might hurt someone's feelings. instead, we have to prattle on about how everything is equal, every instution is great in its own right and can't be fairly compared with anything else in the universe, all forms of everything are always equally valid, blah blah blah.

SDN is like a microcosm of academia, which is fitting, in a way. so warm and fuzzy, so touchy-feely... :D (i still love it, though!)

I don't think anyone is saying that DO is equal to MD; I mean here in pre-allo we are all applying to MD schools because we in fact think they are better. The problem is thinking that our personal opinions absolutely apply to everyone else.

Medikit said:
I don't think anyone is saying that DO is equal to MD; I mean here in pre-allo we are all applying to MD schools because we in fact think they are better. The problem is thinking that our personal opinions absolutely apply to everyone else.
yeah, i know what you mean. i think my post was pertaining more to the general trend of SDN being politically correct than what the OP was specifically insinuating in his post, though. that's why i quoted dmoney41's post about SDN instead of commenting on the OP's post about that MDApp profile.

sd

superdevil said:
no kidding.
(i still love it, though!)

No serious person thinks every school is objectively equal in every regard. However, we all have differen goals, and no SDN'er can say what is right for some other joe blow out there.

monstermatch said:
No serious person thinks every school is objectively equal in every regard. However, we all have differen goals, and no SDN'er can say what is right for some other joe blow out there.
i know. i think your first sentence implies that you took my sardonic post a bit too literally. i guess i wish SDN had a 'sarcasm font', as people have suggested in the past. :laugh:

superdevil said:
i know. i think your first sentence implies that you took my sardonic post a bit too literally. i guess i wish SDN had a 'sarcasm font', as people have suggested in the past. :laugh:

darn it superdevil! i was hoping for nude jessica simpson pictures... and instead i get another obviously fake MDapp profile +pissed+ ... i mean who isn't a fan of Cincinnati?

Art Vandalay said:
darn it superdevil! i was hoping for nude jessica simpson pictures... and instead i get another obviously fake MDapp profile +pissed+ ... i mean who isn't a fan of Cincinnati?
:laugh: hehe...you're not the first to be dissapointed!

I don't know why you guys are even arguing.

DO Degree < MD Degree
Ohio State MBA program < Harvard MBA Program
Toyota Corolla < BMW

Gosh what is this equal thing people are talking about? Hell, I can get a MBA degree from Ohio State and yes, I will have a MBA degree like a person from Harvard, but people! It's not equal. If I were to apply for a job, chances are, they will hire the person who got a MBA from Harvard.

visualwealth said:
prestige is not everything. Sometimes the location or the proximity to something or someone weighs into the decision; i know it will for me.

what was this thread for again? :confused:

Art Vandalay said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

xadmin said:

DO Degree < MD Degree
Toyota Corolla < BMW

Gosh what is this equal thing people are talking about? Hell, I can get a MBA degree from Ohio State and yes, I will have a MBA degree like a person from Harvard, but people! It's not equal. If I were to apply for a job, chances are, they will hire the person who got a MBA from Harvard.

It looks like someone is poorly misinformed. Hiring is based on whether or not you have a board certification, and not whether you have an MD or DO, just as much as it doesn't matter what school you went to.

I agree that MD would be better if applying for allopathic residencies, however DO's have their own residencies for most programs. They are slightly disadvantaged at the programs unavailable with osteopathic residencies, however, once the residency is complete, DO's & MD's are considered equal as far as hiring for staff is concerned.

visualwealth said:

aye...

obviously a fake

you'd have to be a fu-ckin idiot to go to a d.o. school over an m.d. school (not to mention great schools like hopkins, columbia, etc)

yeah... i think i'd rather be a souped-up chiropractor than an actual doctor? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doesn't make sense to me :p

if it is authentic, then a person this stupid would be very befitting of the d.o. profession. :p

:p

we never know. there could be special financial or familial circumstances that drew him to downers grove over bmore. just never know.

I dont think you're an idiot if you choose to go Osteo over Allo, but supposedly this person is turning down Top 10 Allo schools to join an Osteo school? Yeah doesnt make much sense, but Im not saying its not possible, just a very interesting choice... :eek:

It seems whenever a thread of this sort spurs up, there is an overwhelmingly disproportionate number of ignorant people. Have any of you ever thought to consider that, just maybe, just maybe something influenced him to consider osteopathy over allopathy? It could have been any one of a number of things including have been born into a family of D.O.'s. This person did not specify as to what their rationale was for choosing CCOM, and therefore, you should not either.

Slippery Pete said:
aye...

obviously a fake

you'd have to be a fu-ckin idiot to go to a d.o. school over an m.d. school (not to mention great schools like hopkins, columbia, etc)

yeah... i think i'd rather be a souped-up chiropractor than an actual doctor?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doesn't make sense to me :p

if it is authentic, then a person this stupid would be very befitting of the d.o. profession. :p

:p

It's idiots like this that give M.D.'s their reputation.

If you don't know that D.O.'s take the same exact courses and clerkships that M.D.'s do, and take an additional course, then you must be living in a cave. If you would like to define someone who takes M.D. courses and more as "souped-up chiropractor," then that would mean M.D.'s are just the "soup."

Cmon guys, this is SDN, where the average MCAT is a 39, everyone is accepted to at least 4 Top-10 schools and waitlisted or have upcoming interviews at the other 6, DO's are supped up chiropractors, MD's are God's chosen ones, people only want to become doctors to help people and not for the money, and the hardest choice for an applicant these days is whether to choose between Harvard and Hopkins...face reality! :D :laugh:

Blue Scrub said:
Cmon guys, this is SDN, where the average MCAT is a 39, everyone is at least waitlisted to 2 Top-10 schools, DO's are supped up chiropractors, MD's are God's chosen ones, people only want to become doctors to help people and not for the money, and the hardest choice for an applicant these days is whether to choose between Harvard and Hopkins...face reality! :D :laugh:

Yup. I often wonder how many of these "current students" aren't actually in medical school.

Blue Scrub said:
Cmon guys, this is SDN, where the average MCAT is a 39, everyone is accepted to at least 4 Top-10 schools and waitlisted or have upcoming interviews at the other 6, DO's are supped up chiropractors, MD's are God's chosen ones, people only want to become doctors to help people and not for the money, and the hardest choice for an applicant these days is whether to choose between Harvard and Hopkins...face reality! :D :laugh:

You forgot that people on sdn who get B's (or A-'s) on their transcripts are forced to apply to Caribbean schools cuz they don't have a snow ball's chance in the states.

Yeah, B+/A-'s on your transcript....God help you to get into a Carribean school. Better yet, have you thought about another career? :p

Blue Scrub said:
Yeah, B+/A-'s on your transcript....God help you to get into a Carribean school. Better yet, have you thought about another career? :p

You might want to consider retaking the classes you got B's in, to improve your chances.

xadmin said:

DO Degree < MD Degree
Toyota Corolla < BMW

my Toyota Corolla >> than your BMW :smuggrin:

dmoney41 said:

I still fail to see your logic as to why this particular profile was indeed, as you say, fake. The person in question applied to not 8 MD and 2 DO schools, but rather 7 MD and 4 DO schools. There could have been factors that played into this decision including geographic location; either way, if the person was so confident enough that he could have gotten admitted to an MD school in the first place, why apply DO? Obviously, there was some other underyling factor. By the way, you rarely see people defending a "low-tier" allopathic school versus a "top-tier" school, simply on the basis that most people do not enter into this type of argument in the first place. If more people backed away from these pointless posts and stopped touting their preconceived notions, there would be no need for us to discuss the legal equivalency of osteopathic training as it applies to becoming a physician. For your information as well as everyone elses, the fact that the DO and MD degrees are seen as equal in a professional capacity does not preclude us from saying that the osteopathic profession is different from its counterparts not so much in philosophy, but rather in the additional training of neuromusculoskeletal medicine. Anyone that does not understand the words "additional, extra, or more" should consult a dictionary.

If osteo and allo schools had the same amount of prestige attached to them, do y'all think you'd still choose allo? I hate to admit it, but I think I'd actually prefer an osteopathic school. I think I like their philosophy better.

Prestige isn't everything. If you think that osteopathic medicine is a better fit for you, why would you want to pass that up for a more "prestigious" school? Isn't your happiness and career satisfaction more important than prestige? But then, I guess different people have different priorities. If going to a prestigious school will make you more happy than going to an osteopathic school which you say would actually prefer, then maybe it is the right choice. I'm just saying, maybe you should give it some thought.

A person might apply to DO and MD programs, yet choose DO because they feel it is a better fit. Perhaps he felt that he wasn't as competitive at DO schools because they place such a high priority on exposure to osteopathic medicine (shadowing, etc).

fotolilith said:
You forgot that people on sdn who get B's (or A-'s) on their transcripts are forced to apply to Caribbean schools cuz they don't have a snow ball's chance in the states.

Does this mean the states = hell?

My profile is a fake.

In fact, everything I say is a lie.

melimi said:
i dont get it
maybe i missed something
UW-PARKSIDE DOESN'T RING ANY BELLS??

I know none of you guys are from around here, but I guarantee that no one from Parkside has ever simultaneously gotten into JHU, Harvard, and Columbia, especially with relatively lackluster credentials. No research, publications, or anything very unique, and a 34R? No. No. And no.

You guys can be so gullible.

LVDoc said:
I still fail to see your logic as to why this particular profile was indeed, as you say, fake. The person in question applied to not 8 MD and 2 DO schools, but rather 7 MD and 4 DO schools.
Do you know anyone who was accepted into every school they applied to, including more than one top 10 school (sans the waitlist at Harvard)? Yeah, thought so. The guy might've had all those stats and that experience and decided on Midwestern, but the Harvard/JHU bit is a joke. Pure and simple.