General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy 2021-2022 cycle graduate school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Do you mind to share your interview experience ? Thank you !
Hi, sure! So they sent me the email to go to their health science campus and I was checked in there. Then me and the other people being interviewed were rotated between three faculty members in their offices. After that we met with a fourth faculty to go over transcripts and make sure everything was okay there. Then some students showed us around the building. The whole thing took almost an hour. A lot of the questions were asking me to name a time I showed a certain quality, learned from some experience, etc. They also asked why I wanted to be an OT, why that school is a good fit, and what skills I could bring. They really liked that I had already had experiences that are common for people working in healthcare.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back from the Creighton Regis/Denver Pathway?
I applied to the Omaha Pathway and interviewed several weeks ago and was admitted. I don’t think the Regis campus interviews until mid November so I think they are probably still sending out interview applications. The Omaha campus had no option for a zoom interview, I was offered an in person interview only.

Hi, sure! So they sent me the email to go to their health science campus and I was checked in there. Then me and the other people being interviewed were rotated between three faculty members in their offices. After that we met with a fourth faculty to go over transcripts and make sure everything was okay there. Then some students showed us around the building. The whole thing took almost an hour. A lot of the questions were asking me to name a time I showed a certain quality, learned from some experience, etc. They also asked why I wanted to be an OT, why that school is a good fit, and what skills I could bring. They really liked that I had already had experiences that are common for people working in healthcare.
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
University: UC Irvine
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 2.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Did not take
Letters of rec: 2 OTs and a professor
Extracurricular: 1 year teaching assistant, Special Olympics, Adapted Kinesiology Program (aquatherapy)
Volunteer: (Total 300+ hours) 100+ Hand Rehab Clinic, 100+ Pediatric Clinic, 100 in Volunteer in School Setting

Applied: Stanbridge University, West Coast University, Keck Graduate Institute, USC, Loma Linda University
Interviews: Stanbridge University, West Coast University
Acceptances: West Coast University, Stanbridge University
Waitlists:
Rejections:

If anyone is interested in what my interview/application process was like please feel free to msg me :)
I am definitely interested in the interview process! Did they ask any situational based questions? If so do you remember anything that could help me lol im so nervous, I have my first interview in 2 weeks!

I am definitely interested in the interview process! Did they ask any situational based questions? If so do you remember anything that could help me lol im so nervous, I have my first interview in 2 weeks!
Yes I will private message you!

University: Stephen F. Austin State University
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.47
Pre-req GPA: 3.6-3.8
Observation: 30 in pediatrics, 30 in SNF, 12 virtual in multiple settings
GRE: 152 v 157 q 3.5 w
Volunteer: started volunteer org. at my university, involved in 2 other organizations, crisis counselor, volunteer at food pantry during summer
extracurricular/work: worked as caregiver in home health for a year, service provider for my university (3 yrs), research assistant(3 months),

Applied: TWU, UTMB, St. Augustine(Austin), UTep, Abilene Christian University, Samuel Merritt, Chatham, University of New Mexico, Oklahoma Health science center, Towson University, Alabama State University, Colorado State
Interviews: Chatham
Acceptances:
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Hey we applied to similar schools. Can we keep in touch and maybe start a group chat? I applied to UTMB, TTU, TWU

University: Stephen F. Austin State University
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.47
Pre-req GPA: 3.6-3.8
Observation: 30 in pediatrics, 30 in SNF, 12 virtual in multiple settings
GRE: 152 v 157 q 3.5 w
Volunteer: started volunteer org. at my university, involved in 2 other organizations, crisis counselor, volunteer at food pantry during summer
extracurricular/work: worked as caregiver in home health for a year, service provider for my university (3 yrs), research assistant(3 months),

Applied: TWU, UTMB, St. Augustine(Austin), UTep, Abilene Christian University, Samuel Merritt, Chatham, University of New Mexico, Oklahoma Health science center, Towson University, Alabama State University, Colorado State
Interviews: Chatham
Acceptances:
Waitlists:
Rejections:
I’ve already responded to a couple people who applied for various Texas schools so if this is redundant I apooogize but I applied to TTU, UTMB, and TWU. Wondering if you want to start a group chat to keep each other updated about any correspondence/invitations for interviews etc.

No problem! Let me know if there's anything else you want to know :)
Thank you.
When did you hear back regarding admission status after the interview? How did you dress up for the interview ? When loma Linda sent you the link, do you get a chance to pick a time or assigned time ?

University: University of Michigan
Major: Movement Science (Minors: EDU and Spanish)
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 160 Verbal, 163 Quant (323 Total) , 6.0 Writing
Letters of rec came from: supervisor at work, professor/research lab director, and OT mentor
Experience: Volunteer at Pediatric Play Facility, Internship at Adult Job Placement Facility, Nanny for child with Autism, Chemistry Tutor, Chemistry Tutoring Program Director, Worked in HIV/AIDs clinic for children in South Africa VP of Philanthropy and Chapter President for my sorority, 3 years in two research labs focused on childhood developmental health and motor skills in pediatric disablities, Adaptive Sports summer intern, Registered Behavior Technician, participated in USC Summer OT immersion
Observation hours: 80 Peds, 20 Geriatric

Applied: Belmont, USC (California), Boston U, Tufts U, Wisconsin-Madison, Wash U St. Louis, Western Michigan
Interviews: Belmont (9/25)
Acceptances: Belmont (10/1)
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Have you heard back from Boston about an interview?

Have you heard back from Boston about an interview?
Not yet! But I was in an info session a while back and they said we may not find out about interviews til end of October,but at that time they will also reject those who are not receiving an interview..and then the turnout is about 2-3 weeks after the interview in Mid-November. (Also - I was only given a weeks notice to fly to Nashville from Michigan for my Belmont interview so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a similar turn around for the interview also bc its virtual)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I interviewed with West Coast University on Oct 5 and was placed on the waitlist. Anyone with a similar experience? Kind of nervous because I don't think I did too well on my interview I was super nervous.

Thank you.
When did you hear back regarding admission status after the interview? How did you dress up for the interview ? When loma Linda sent you the link, do you get a chance to pick a time or assigned time ?
Hi! So they just assigned me a time when they emailed me.

Was this at Loma Linda University? I have not heard back from them yet.

O
I also am interested in USC offering scholarships - I have heard they have many and seem to be one of the only (big and top ranked) schools openly advertising large amounts of scholarship money. For example, Belmont has a total program cost of around 120k for an OTD without ANY financial aid, whereas USC racks up to about 185ishk (not exact) for an OTD, but seems to offer a lot of graduate assistantships and scholarships. To be honest I cannot afford either of those options currently and have applied to both, just hoping and praying for aid, but I would think that some of the USC Scholarships/Job opportunities could bring that price down to nearly that of Belmont. So, just a thought.

For example - the Research Student (2 year program) worker scholarships (linked here: USC Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy ) Offers 8 units tuition (about 15k per semester), and a 6,600 per semester stipend. That would bring the cost of tuition and fees down by 15k x 4 semesters - so 60k plus the 6,600 stipend x 4 so plus making 26,400 over the two years, which in that case would cover most living expenses and make the OTD 120k. Just something to think about - obv most people don't get scholarships but that isn't too far off from alot of the
I also am interested in USC offering scholarships - I have heard they have many and seem to be one of the only (big and top ranked) schools openly advertising large amounts of scholarship money. For example, Belmont has a total program cost of around 120k for an OTD without ANY financial aid, whereas USC racks up to about 185ishk (not exact) for an OTD, but seems to offer a lot of graduate assistantships and scholarships. To be honest I cannot afford either of those options currently and have applied to both, just hoping and praying for aid, but I would think that some of the USC Scholarships/Job opportunities could bring that price down to nearly that of Belmont. So, just a thought.

For example - the Research Student (2 year program) worker scholarships (linked here: USC Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy ) Offers 8 units tuition (about 15k per semester), and a 6,600 per semester stipend. That would bring the cost of tuition and fees down by 15k x 4 semesters - so 60k plus the 6,600 stipend x 4 so plus making 26,400 over the two years, which in that case would cover most living expenses and make the OTD 120k. Just something to think about - obv most people don't get scholarships but that isn't too far off from alot of the other schools I'm considering.
Per the website the Research Assistant position no longer includes the $6,600 stipend. It is now 8 units tuition/semester and an hourly wage of $16.50/hour for 10 hours/week per semester for work in an assigned research lab. The hourly wage is much less than the stipend. It comes out to approximately $2,500 per semester. Of course it would still be amazing to be awarded a Research Assistant position but not as good as it’s been in previous years.

I actually received an email yesterday for an interview.
I received an email for an interview with Loma Linda as well! For anyone wondering about timeline, I submitted my secondary application at the beginning of September and just heard back last week to schedule for an interview.

University: Auburn University
Major: Rehab and Disability Studies
Overall GPA: 3.91
Pre-Req GPA: 3.91

Letters of Rec: One from an OT, one from a rehab studies professor, one from a club sports coach/mentor(RD, Nutrition Ph.D.)

Extracurriculars: President of Auburn Kiwanis community service org., Peer tutor/Job coach with Auburn's transition program for students with intellectual disabilities, volunteer elementary school tutor, Auburn women's ultimate frisbee captain, OT/PT club member, club powerlifting team member

Observation/Volunteer: 46 in pediatric and CHT outpatient therapy, 30 hours as a therapy intern at a pain clinic, a current internship with a transition program for students with intellectual disabilities, 60 hours with a high school athletic trainer
Other: camp counselor at a 6-week international summer camp

Applied: University of Pittsburgh, Wisconsin-Madison, University of Florida, UAB
Interviews: UAB (12/17/21)
Acceptances: UAB
Waitlists: Pitt
Rejections: UF

Can anyone tell me if I'm shooting too high with the four that I've applied to?

Last edited:
Hi all! I interviewed with West Coast University on Oct 5 and was placed on the waitlist. Anyone with a similar experience? Kind of nervous because I don't think I did too well on my interview I was super nervous.
Hi! Did you apply to WCU for spring or summer?

I received an email for an interview with Loma Linda as well! For anyone wondering about timeline, I submitted my secondary application at the beginning of September and just heard back last week to schedule for an interview.
Have you had your interview yet? Who is it with? I had mine today.

Have you had your interview yet? Who is it with? I had mine today.
I private messaged you! But my interview is next week and I believe mine is with the director Lianne. I am so nervous. Good luck to everyone and hope you guys hear back soon.

I applied to the Omaha Pathway and interviewed several weeks ago and was admitted. I don’t think the Regis campus interviews until mid November so I think they are probably still sending out interview applications. The Omaha campus had no option for a zoom interview, I was offered an in person interview only.
How long did it take to hear back after your interview? I interviewed at the Phoenix pathway on October 1 and haven’t heard back yet

How long did it take to hear back after your interview? I interviewed at the Phoenix pathway on October 1 and haven’t heard back yet
Hi. I interviewed on Friday 9/17 and got my letter of acceptance on Monday 10/11; the letter contained scholarship information. They said 3 weeks and when 3 weeks came and went I was nervous that I didn’t get in. They Gave us 2 weeks to accept so I have to let them know by this Monday.

I was interviewed the 15th of October for the Spring as well and haven't heard back. How long after did they tell you you are waitlisted?

I was interviewed the 15th of October for the Spring as well and haven't heard back. How long after did they tell you you are waitlisted?
I was waitlisted two days after my interview.

Did you interview with AT Still yet and if yes have you heard back from them?

Has anyone heard back from Tufts or University of tennessee Chattanooga??

Nothing from Tufts yet! I went to an info session and it seems to be a "we will tell you when we tell you" type of situation

I think UT Chattanooga's website says that they won't look at applications until December.

Nothing from Tufts yet! I went to an info session and it seems to be a "we will tell you when we tell you" type of situation
I emailed Jill Rocca and she said December at the latest, but at the information session she told everyone early January. I wish they'd sent them out in October like last cycle :/

I emailed Jill Rocca and she said December at the latest, but at the information session she told everyone early January. I wish they'd sent them out in October like last cycle :/
Oh trust me I agree! I applied early hoping I would get a decision from them early!! (Belmont is giving me til Dec 1st to put down a deposit and I asked for an extension for it so really hoping to hear from another school before then)

University: Arizona State University
Majors: Psychology (B.A) and Family and Human Development (B.S.)
GPA: 3.82 (ASU), 3.76 (OTCAS), varies from program but about 3.5 (Pre-req)
GRE: 144 (V) 143 (Q) 4.0 (W)
Letters of Rec: OT, study abroad faculty supervisor, research assistant supervisor, boss, sorority advisor
Volunteer/Observation Hours: 29 hours pediatrics, 16 hours hand therapy, 24 UMMC virtual observation hour program (69 total)
Experiences: Study abroad trip to Finland, undergraduate research assistant, notetaker for ASU disability services, have been a preschool teaching assistant for 4 years, worked as a food stand associate in high school, grew up with a sister with a disability, and service and fundraising benefitting the arthritis foundation through my sorority.
Extracurriculars: OT club member, sorority member (held a leadership position for a semester and served on multiple committees), activities chairman for fraternity and sorority life programming board, ASU student alumni association member, Greek review board

Applied: University of Florida, AdventHealth University, Medical University of South Carolina, Creighton University, Midwestern University - Glendale, University of Wisconsin - Madison, St. Catherine University, University of St. Augustine, Nova Southeastern University, and Brunel University London
Interview Invitations: Midwestern, Creighton, Nova Southeastern, St. Augustine, Brunel, and AdventHealth
Waitlisted: Midwestern, St. Catherine
Accepted: Creighton, Nova Southeastern, AdventHealth
Rejected: University of Florida, Medical University of South Carolina

Last edited:
Just heard from Boston University asking for a Kira Interview!! Anyone else?

University: U. of the Incarnate Word
Major: Psychology
Minor: Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.89
Pre-Req GPA: 3.67 - 3.89 depending on the school
GRE: 147 qualitative, 154 quantitative, 3.5 writing
Letters of rec came from academic athletic advisor, professor, and OT

Extra-Curric: Varsity DI student-athlete (swimmer), president of the Special Olympics club, student-athlete SGA senator

Volunteer: 70 observation hours, 100+ community service hours

I applied to U. of Toledo, Georgia State, U. of Indiana Wesleyan, U of Tennessee Chattanooga, and Wingate U.

Acceptances: Wingate University

Rejections:

Interviews: Wingate, Indiana Wesleyan, Georgia State
Have you had your interview at Georgia State?

Have you had your interview at Georgia State?
Yes, I interviewed Tuesday, October 26th. Some of the current students at the meet and greet said that there were 2 more interviews scheduled.