OD/MS or OD/Ph.D question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jude_it

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing the OD/MS or OD/Ph.D program? If so, how did you decide to which school is right for you?... is it faculty, research facility, grants or research topic? Do you know if there is some kind of ranking systems of the research programs or the understood top optometry/research schools in the US? Are there advantages of getting a masters besides the obvious reason of a better resume.

Members don't see this ad.

Jude_it said:
Anyone doing the OD/MS or OD/Ph.D program? If so, how did you decide to which school is right for you?... is it faculty, research facility, grants or research topic? Do you know if there is some kind of ranking systems of the research programs or the understood top optometry/research schools in the US? Are there advantages of getting a masters besides the obvious reason of a better resume.

I've just started a OD/MS degree at UAB. I also applied and was accepted into optometry school at Houston, which has an OD/PhD program, but no OD/MS program. I picked UAB because of the wide variety of research I could do, the small classes in the optometry school, and I'll get in state tuition after my first year. Let me know if you have any questions. I've been in the lab for only a week but I really enjoy it!

Jude_it said:

I am currently considering a OD/MSc program myself. Coming from a research background, I would suggest that your interest in a particular area of research should be a priority. Although research is interesting, it can get a little monotonous, especially if you are not completely interested in your project. In addition, you should make sure that your faculty advisor has adequate funding - I have known of a few students who have had to switch their Ph.D. thesis projects after working on it for 2 years (not in an optometry school).

Having an MSc in addition to and OD could offer more career opportunities. Some go on to become clinical lecturers in optometry schools. I'd imagine that OD/PhDs would be well prepared for a career in research or academia.

I'm not sure if there is any advantage to a combined program if your goal is to go on to a traditional practice setting. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?