OD or PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I wish I was a necessary professional instead of just an ancillary paraprofessional. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a pharmacy student and trust me I would recommend you to do Optometry because Optometrist get more respect from the general public and have more autonomy. Optometrists seem to be more satisfied with their jobs than pharmacists from my observation.

You should start a new thread. "who gets more respect by the general public and MDs, pharmD or OD?"

Looks like this thread got derailed again. Alas, I have become fond of this particular thread so instead of starting a new one I thought we could rant a little about these:

Couldnt technology do the same thing for OD's? Couldnt someone just go into walmart sit down and have a machine refract your eye automatically then spit out a result or measurements? Couldnt you sit down and pick 1 or 2 by hitting a button rather than a OD saying 1 or 2?

insurance reimbursements flat or sinking, three new OD schools already saturating a half full cup of water supersaturated with sugar.

.... Most patients do not come to the OD for health-care, they come for a "product."

Thoughts on what these autorefractors will do to lets say ocular epidemiology. Say patients start choosing to use this machine instead of seeing an OD for a yearly eye exam :smack:....What long term effects could we start to see developing...

Thoughts on what effects these 3 new schools will have on the OD job market....

Well in the pharmacy world we have a ton of pharmacy schools popping up, a lot of people (me included) aren't too happy about it. The best thing I feel I can do about it is to do more post-graduate training then all the other grads to get the better job. The pharmacist job market hasn't been too greatly affected yet, although I think that retail positions are going to start filling up quite a bit faster.

Last edited:
Just wondering who makes more coming out of school. I know pharmacy students coming out of school could start in retail making 100-120K. Can OD make 100-120K coming out of school, say working for walmart? Just wondering b/c in both professions students will be >100,000 in student loan debt.

i dont know about that, but I did see an ad for a 55k salary.

gochi's occupation should be Necrothread Troll.

Just wondering who makes more coming out of school. I know pharmacy students coming out of school could start in retail making 100-120K. Can OD make 100-120K coming out of school, say working for walmart? Just wondering b/c in both professions students will be >100,000 in student loan debt.

Sounds like you want to make $$$ more than patient care; so why sell yourself short with a medical/allied health profession degree?

Become a WalMart or Rite Aid exec, make more money than you can count and never have to deal with a Chief Complaint, etc. Fly in corporate jets, buy a yacht, vacation in places I'll read about, etc....then get old, get your PALs (fancy trifocals) and your Lipitor filled by your collegues :smuggrin:

Bottom line, there's more to life than money. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will be happy doing what you love :thumbup:

it was a spelling mistake.

Really? So are you going back to all of your posts where you typed "your" instead of "you're" and fixing those spelling mistakes too?

Really? So are you going back to all of your posts where you typed "your" instead of "you're" and fixing those spelling mistakes too?

Obviously not.