# of Prgrams folks are ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bnmd!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering how many programs all of you are ranking on primary rank list? I have 10, but i remember someone saying they put up 15. As you get toward the bottom of your list are you ranking places that you really don't want to go to, but are just putting em on the list b/c you don't want to scramble or end up with a year off?

Members don't see this ad.

Everybody is different, but I'm ranking all the programs I interviewed at (15 including programs with both advanced and categorical programs) just because I absolutely do not want to scramble.

Interviewed at 9, ranking 9. All of them have good reputations and would provide great training, but as I go down my list, I like the cities less, and I think I fit in with the residents less. I would rather match at my #9, though, than scramble or take a year off. And I'm pretty confident that my home program will take me, so I don't think I'll get down to the bottom of my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
ranking 12 (counting advanced and categorical)
didn't rank one because of a lack of information regarding the program (poor interview day)
one didn't rank me because i nodded off in the morning presentations (most expensive nap ever)
personally i'd rather take a year (or 30) off than end up somewhere i had reservations about ranking.

I'm writing this under a friend's screen name--but I'm ranking 19. About 7 programs have advanced and categorical so I'm really only ranking about 11 unique program. Not ranking 1 program since they blew it on interview day and told me I'd hate life if I matched there (told all of us that on interiview day).

9/9...id rather scramble someplace better than go to #9, but I dont trust what will be available on scramble day, someplace worse perhaps? Regardless, i dont anticipate needing #9.

I ranked 7 unique programs. including the adv and categorial, I ended up with like 10-11 ranks (i forget exactly). I hope that'll be enough. . .I'm a little worried cause all these places are pretty popular. Best of luck to all, I hope you guys match where you want to be!

interview/rank= 10/10
Would rather end up at a program I didn't "love" than try my luck in the scramble.

Interviewed at 8 programs, for a total of 11 ranks including categorical & advanced positions.

I interviewed at 13 and would consider ranking 11.

interviewed at 12...ranking all of them, just dont know in what order yet :confused:

I'm ranking 10/12 anesthesia and all 10 prelims.

Members don't see this ad :)
hope2bnmd! said:
Wondering how many programs all of you are ranking on primary rank list? I have 10, but i remember someone saying they put up 15. As you get toward the bottom of your list are you ranking places that you really don't want to go to, but are just putting em on the list b/c you don't want to scramble or end up with a year off?

When is match day, dudes/dudettes? Sorry I'm out of touch with this stuff.

BTW, good luck to all of you. I know (and remember) how important the upcoming day is.

interview invites: 19
interviews gone to: 5
ranking: 2 categorical/adv anesthesiology prgms

So 1-2 are going to be anesthesiology prgms. 3-9 are prelim med prgrms.

for me at this stage of the game, location is what's holding me down. I'd rather do prelim med for a yr and try my hand at the pot next yr. risky, i know...but hey if u dont like being on the edge, i wouldnt think anesthesiology is something one should go into.

jetproppilot said:
When is match day, dudes/dudettes? Sorry I'm out of touch with this stuff.

BTW, good luck to all of you. I know (and remember) how important the upcoming day is.

Match is Thursday, March 16.

Interviewed at 10, ranking 9, total of 13 ranks for anesthesiology.

Interviewed at 3 prelim, ranking 2 in the supplemental and those 2 at the bottom of my primary rank.

I would take a year off rather than go someplace I would be miserable at.

Good luck to all.

ThinkFast007 said:
interview invites: 19
interviews gone to: 5
ranking: 2 categorical/adv anesthesiology prgms

So 1-2 are going to be anesthesiology prgms. 3-9 are prelim med prgrms.

for me at this stage of the game, location is what's holding me down. I'd rather do prelim med for a yr and try my hand at the pot next yr. risky, i know...but hey if u dont like being on the edge, i wouldnt think anesthesiology is something one should go into.

Remind me not to make you my financial advisor.

ThinkFast007 said:
if u dont like being on the edge, i wouldnt think anesthesiology is something one should go into.

Gee....some of us like anesthesia because of the opportunity for stability, i.e. being prepared for all eventualities. I wouldnt call that "being on the edge" and I wouldnt think that even 5% of people who enter the field "like being on the edge".

Your decision to rank 2(!) gas programs shows to me that maybe you really dont want to do this, because you will never have an easier time of getting into anesthesia as the time you go through match. Unless you plan on going through the match again next year, and losing a year.

Idiopathic said:
Gee....some of us like anesthesia because of the opportunity for stability, i.e. being prepared for all eventualities. I wouldnt call that "being on the edge" and I wouldnt think that even 5% of people who enter the field "like being on the edge".

Your decision to rank 2(!) gas programs shows to me that maybe you really dont want to do this, because you will never have an easier time of getting into anesthesia as the time you go through match. Unless you plan on going through the match again next year, and losing a year.
or maybe, since you have trouble reading, i'm doing this because of location. it seems like you may have a SO that can just pack up and leave, which I think is an indicaiton of what sort of gals you probably attract;)

unfortunately, some of us have gals that have more stable jobs and so location is more important. NOT to mention family, friends and a strong network near homefield.

not being on edge? interesting thought. while I agree that anesthesiologists are quite prepared for most disasters or atleast should be. I also think that things like trauma, seeing results in front of your face QUICKLY, and working QUICKLY but diligently is what draws a lot of ppl to the field. So if that's not being on the edge, I really dont know what is buddy.

oh and for me not wanting to do this. I can almost remember from back in teh day, that you were set on going into NEUROSURGERY. SO what are YOUR TRUE INTENTIONS? was it the money and lifestyle that drew you into anesthesia? NEUROSURGERY is quite different from Anesthesia the last time i chcked. Aside from my M2 year, i've always wanted to go into anesthesia. so who should question who's true intentions??

and just remember pal. hypothetically you need only ONE interview, and one ranked place to match ;) good luck bud.

down boys!

back to the original topic....

interviewed at 13 anesthesia programs, ranking 12

for intern year, ranking 2 transitionals and 5 prelim medicine spots

i really don't want to have to scramble! :cool:

ThinkFast007 said:
it seems like you may have a SO that can just pack up and leave, which I think is an indicaiton of what sort of gals you probably attract;)

what exactly does that mean?! I mean really, the fact that a spouse is willing to relocate to help their husband/wife follow their dream - that somehow is a negative thing? I would think it would be the opposite. My husband has lived his entire life in one city ( granted only part time while I was an MS1and2). He is not happy about moving - but if I don't match in our hometown he will move because he knows I have busted my butt to make it this far and he wants me to succeed. I certainly don't think he is somehow inferior for being supportive.

ThinkFast007 said:
or maybe, since you have trouble reading, i'm doing this because of location. it seems like you may have a SO that can just pack up and leave, which I think is an indicaiton of what sort of gals you probably attract;)

unfortunately, some of us have gals that have more stable jobs and so location is more important. NOT to mention family, friends and a strong network near homefield.

not being on edge? interesting thought. while I agree that anesthesiologists are quite prepared for most disasters or atleast should be. I also think that things like trauma, seeing results in front of your face QUICKLY, and working QUICKLY but diligently is what draws a lot of ppl to the field. So if that's not being on the edge, I really dont know what is buddy.

oh and for me not wanting to do this. I can almost remember from back in teh day, that you were set on going into NEUROSURGERY. SO what are YOUR TRUE INTENTIONS? was it the money and lifestyle that drew you into anesthesia? NEUROSURGERY is quite different from Anesthesia the last time i chcked. Aside from my M2 year, i've always wanted to go into anesthesia. so who should question who's true intentions??

and just remember pal. hypothetically you need only ONE interview, and one ranked place to match ;) good luck bud.

Fair enough, I suppose. I do have a 'gal' that can pack up and leave, as she happens to be the mother of my children. I did figure location into my reasoning, but to limit yourself to 1 or 2 programs, you must have a pretty good indication that you will match at one or the other, I would assume.

As far as 'being on the edge', I have yet to meet a practicing anesthesiologist who relishes 'being on the edge'. Many enjoy complex and demanding cases, like excitement, etc. but being on the edge implies that you are one step from disaster at all times, and I dont know anyone, anywhere that realistically seeks that out.

As for neurosurgery, all of those bastards are miserable. I decided I didnt want to be miserable. I hope you dont take what I said personally, it just seems foolish to apply to 19+ programs that you would never go to (because of location) and rank 1 or 2. I imagine that you will get a spot at 1 or 2 and so it wont be an issue, but if you dont are you prepared to go through the match again next year (not always easy to get a PGY-2 spot) which would waste a year, or will you change careers?

Im sure youve thought all this out, so I wish you the best.

ranked

7 anes

7 prelim

Idiopathic said:
Fair enough, I suppose. I do have a 'gal' that can pack up and leave, as she happens to be the mother of my children. I did figure location into my reasoning, but to limit yourself to 1 or 2 programs, you must have a pretty good indication that you will match at one or the other, I would assume.

As far as 'being on the edge', I have yet to meet a practicing anesthesiologist who relishes 'being on the edge'. Many enjoy complex and demanding cases, like excitement, etc. but being on the edge implies that you are one step from disaster at all times, and I dont know anyone, anywhere that realistically seeks that out.

As for neurosurgery, all of those bastards are miserable. I decided I didnt want to be miserable. I hope you dont take what I said personally, it just seems foolish to apply to 19+ programs that you would never go to (because of location) and rank 1 or 2. I imagine that you will get a spot at 1 or 2 and so it wont be an issue, but if you dont are you prepared to go through the match again next year (not always easy to get a PGY-2 spot) which would waste a year, or will you change careers?

Im sure youve thought all this out, so I wish you the best.
well perhaps ppl have different perceptions of "on the edge". I think it's more an issue of degree and how far you'd want to be away from the edge. I agree most wouldnt want to be 'a step' away from disaster...but having the ability to safely tk care of a pt and render them into safety when they're 'a mile' away from safety is more like it. P.S. you're right I did think things through.

to SUGAR72: what I meant by the above is this. My 'gal' is a professional in her training stages ;) and so cant just get up and leave. Do you think in the middle of your residency, PDs would be ecstatic about letting you leave in your PGY2 year??? questionable

good luck to all!

interviewed at 12 anes, 3 trans, and 1 prelim
ranking all

interviewed at 8 anes, 4 ty/prelim, ranking all but one anes.

Oh yeah, and I'm getting married in exactly 12 days....and couple's matching too.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Feeling a little itty bitty stressed :D

Beck928 said:
interviewed at 8 anes, 4 ty/prelim, ranking all but one anes.

Oh yeah, and I'm getting married in exactly 12 days....and couple's matching too.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Feeling a little itty bitty stressed :D

Congrats Beck!! :clap:

chicamedica said:
Congrats Beck!! :clap:

Thanks, Chica! My girls to taking me to Vegas tonight for my Bachelorette party...I can't wait! At least I'm distracted from thinking about how my fate has already been sealed, hehe!

Beck928 said:
Thanks, Chica! My girls to taking me to Vegas tonight for my Bachelorette party...I can't wait! At least I'm distracted from thinking about how my fate has already been sealed, hehe!

congratulations becky - i got married in las vegas - about 8 years ago. My girls took me to this killer place called the Peppermill that had shag carpet, sunken in nooks surrounding these crazy 1970's round firplaces. It was good times. Have fun!