Off Topic: What's a good language to learn?

Started by Ploofafa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes! Much more than you would think. I have had a few "Is that in Africa?" questions. Lol. :laugh:

No problem! Have you ever visited Lithuania? I go back once every 2 or so years to visit family that's back there..
Africa? Yikes. I think I've only met a couple people who know where Lithuania is. Everyone else is like, "Lithu-what?" But I don't think anyone's wondered if it was in Africa.

Nope, I haven't been to Europe at all. My mom wanted to go when we were younger, but it never ended up happening for some reason. I'd like to visit someday, but first I feel like I should learn the language.
 
Africa? Yikes. I think I've only met a couple people who know where Lithuania is. Everyone else is like, "Lithu-what?" But I don't think anyone's wondered if it was in Africa.

Nope, I haven't been to Europe at all. My mom wanted to go when we were younger, but it never ended up happening for some reason. I'd like to visit someday, but first I feel like I should learn the language.

Yes, Afrika. I don't know where they come up with that...It gets a bit tiring after a while, explaining where it is. Especially since people have no clue where the surrounding states are either! Lol.

Aah! You should definetely visit, when you get the hang of the language a bit. I love visiting though coming back to the US is always pleasure.The little perks of average life here are much more appreciated after a visit over there. 😛
 
I learned Japanese for about 13 years, lived there for 2 years working as an interpreter, and pretty much thought that the language would be useless to me in med school; surprisingly, I interviewed with 3 Japanese neurosurgeons in Japanese this interview season and was asked to translate some research articles for my mentors.

I guess just learn whatever interests you--I do not regret learning Japanese, but I do not use it on a day-to-day basis and am frantically trying to learn Spanish, which I definitely need to know!