OFFICIAL 2009 Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
University of Tennessee, Knoxville clinical Ph.D. program, phone call from POI
interviews are on February 27th

My first interview invitation ever!

Members don't see this ad.

University of Tennessee, Knoxville clinical Ph.D. program, phone call from POI
interviews are on February 27th

My first interview invitation ever!
Congrats! I hope to get that same feeling too! This is my second year (no luck the first time)!

Congrats! I hope to get that same feeling too! This is my second year (no luck the first time)!

Thanks! It's my second time round as well, so perhaps it is our year. I cross my fingers for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good afternoon SDN. First time caller, long time listener. I received a phone call from my POI at Penn State today, inviting me to interview at the university on the weekend of February 6-7. The program is a clinical PhD.

Good afternoon SDN. First time caller, long time listener. I received a phone call from my POI at Penn State today, inviting me to interview at the university on the weekend of February 6-7. The program is a clinical PhD.
WOW! Great Program. Congrats and Good luck

Has anybody heard back from Forensic oriented POI's at the following schools? If so, your PM would help ease my mind (or possibly stress me out even more). Thanks in advance!

Texas A & M
U of Houston
Rutgers
U of Arizona
U of Illinois-Chicago
Sam Houston State
West Virginia U
John Jay (I know people have heard back from some..just curious as to whom)
Fairleigh Dickinson (app not due yet but just curious if there was a first round)

Thank you in advance! I have come to the realization that this forum will haunt my dreams tonight as I was just told about it from a friend today.

Good Luck all!

I applied to forensic faculty at UIC and heard nothing yet. It's funny because I applied to all forensic faculty yet that's our only school that overlapped.

Hey everyone!

I was just remembering that now was around the time clinical psych interviews started up and wanted to chime in to wish everyone good luck!

I'm no longer a student in clinical psych (*gasp*) - having since decided to switch career directions - but I was previously enrolled at uw-madison for clinical psych (which was enjoyable!). If you guys have any questions about the interview process or stuff like that, I'd be more than happy to help! Just PM me because I don't really check this site.

Regardless, I hope everyone rocks at the interviews this year!

ciao
tkj

Ahh, I'm in WI (not Madison, but). That's a good program for research, so I'm impressed. :D

Has anyone heard from any Ph.D./Psy.D. programs in Counseling Psychology yet?

Thanks

I received an interview invite from the University of Iowa Counseling Psychology program today via email. The interview day is Friday Feb. 6th. I'm so excited!

sooo.... do any application invites come over the weekends? or should we all breathe a "sigh of relief" until Monday? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I would tell them you can't make it bc you are interviewing somewhere else- I would make up an excuse (wedding, visiting relatives far way and already booked travel, etc.) :)

While I agree with much of this poster's original message - I really discourage the above referenced suggestion. Please don't make something up!

I'm a 5th year in a clinical phd program, and have been on the other side of 4 interview weekends. Everyone knows that schools are interviewing around the same time, and will likely see through any made up story. You will either appear unreliable (read, a liar), or possibly daft for scheduling some other 'travel' when you'd presumably be going to interviews!

The important thing to know is the inability to attend a specified interview date due to other interviews is quite common. Some programs (like mine) will let you come in person on another day. We only accept 4-6 students a year, and I have known more than a few of my classmates who interviewed on a separate day than the large group. Having that said, I would pick your favorite (as the other poster suggested) and go to their scheduled interview day - as you often don't get to meet everyone (particularly the other students) when you interview separate from the group. The fact that you have other interviews does not make you appear less desirable, in fact I would argue the opposite.

Hi, lucyguard! You are doing a great job with the updates but I do have one little request. The first time I applied the moderator italicized new adds (I don't remember if they updated that everyday or week or what). It was really helpful! Could you possibly do that?? And I want to emphasize again that you're doing a good job!

Also - congrats to everybody who got invites this week! YAY!

While I agree with much of this poster's original message - I really discourage the above referenced suggestion. Please don't make something up!

I agree with this. You could just apologetically let Program 2 know that you've already committed to attend another interview. Doing that doesn't even necessarily imply that you prefer Program 1, just that they asked you first and you've already committed.

So what should you pack for interviews? I've mostly read that women should wear suits, but if the interviews last 2+ days, should you wear a suit everyday or are dress pants and a nice shirt appropriate? What about for the "informal" activities, like tours or dinners? I got my first invite (yay!) to Kentucky, so I was going to do some interview-clothes shopping this weekend. Thoughts?

I am interested in feedback on counseling/school psych programs as well! Congrats to everyone, by the way!

Hi Everybody, I'm new here and I am so glad I found a group of people who understand the excitement/anxiety of applying to grad school!

A few of my schools had Dec. 1 deadlines and I'm wondering if they'll send out interview invites soon. Anyone heard from these clinical Phd programs?

University of Oregon
University of Denver

So what should you pack for interviews? I've mostly read that women should wear suits, but if the interviews last 2+ days, should you wear a suit everyday or are dress pants and a nice shirt appropriate? What about for the "informal" activities, like tours or dinners? I got my first invite (yay!) to Kentucky, so I was going to do some interview-clothes shopping this weekend. Thoughts?

Congrats--guess this really means I didn't get one.

I would start a new thread for that, or search for old ones. A looot of discussions have been created on that subject.

yeh. I should have been clear about that. It's been a nightmare applying to them. I've been disqualified because of their inability to keep things organized. ETS has confirmed that they sent the GRE/subject scores twice and they still can't find them.

*sigh*

good luck to you and the rest who applied there.

I'm applying to Loyola Maryland and I'm also having problems! They just sent me an e-mail yesterday claiming that they have not yet received my university transcript, my GRE scores, OR my letters of recommendation! I had all of these sent out in early November, and none of the other schools I'm applying to have had a problem with those documents. I just sent the grad office an e-mail and am planning to call on Monday to follow up. So frustrating!

I did not apply there but have seen MANY posts about Loyola not being organized. I feel for you. Very Frustrating!

I'm applying to Loyola Maryland and I'm also having problems! They just sent me an e-mail yesterday claiming that they have not yet received my university transcript, my GRE scores, OR my letters of recommendation! I had all of these sent out in early November, and none of the other schools I'm applying to have had a problem with those documents. I just sent the grad office an e-mail and am planning to call on Monday to follow up. So frustrating!

Including myself, that makes three SDNer's going to the Kentucky interview. I wonder if I will be able to pick you guys out of the crowd.

Including myself, that makes three SDNer's going to the Kentucky interview. I wonder if I will be able to pick you guys out of the crowd.

Forget suits, you should all wear SDN t-shirts. That would go over well, I'm sure!

I'm a 5th year in a clinical phd program, and have been on the other side of 4 interview weekends. Everyone knows that schools are interviewing around the same time, and will likely see through any made up story. You will either appear unreliable (read, a liar), or possibly daft for scheduling some other 'travel' when you'd presumably be going to interviews!

The important thing to know is the inability to attend a specified interview date due to other interviews is quite common. Some programs (like mine) will let you come in person on another day. We only accept 4-6 students a year, and I have known more than a few of my classmates who interviewed on a separate day than the large group. Having that said, I would pick your favorite (as the other poster suggested) and go to their scheduled interview day - as you often don't get to meet everyone (particularly the other students) when you interview separate from the group. The fact that you have other interviews does not make you appear less desirable, in fact I would argue the opposite.

After thinking about this, I feel that I have to retract my earlier advice. I guess during this stressful and hectic time its easy to make rash choices! Having two or more interviews is a good thing and not something to hide or be shy about. Perhaps the POI will be even more interested in you considering the fact that you are wanted elsewhere as well. I'm sure all of the POI's would understand this given the fact that they've been through the process themselves. Good luck everyone and enjoy the weekend!

Woah! I didn't know that there was an anonymous interview feedback section on SDN! It's linked at the top under "psychology" (somebody just posted a thread about it). Very interesting, and I hope everybody chooses to add to this information as you start your interviews!

thanks for pointing that out, hermione! if anyone has interviewed in the past (especially at Arizona State!!) please rate your experiences!

Hi, lucyguard! You are doing a great job with the updates but I do have one little request. The first time I applied the moderator italicized new adds (I don't remember if they updated that everyday or week or what). It was really helpful! Could you possibly do that?? And I want to emphasize again that you're doing a good job!

Also - congrats to everybody who got invites this week! YAY!

Awesome suggestion!!!! I'll start doing that. :)

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have made some changes to the LIST and hopefully it will make it easier to to find the school and program you are looking for. Go check it out! New updates are now italicized as suggested.

I also added a link to last year's thread and the interview feedback site.

If anyone has any sugguestions on how to make the list easier feel free to post or PM me!!!!

Can the person who heard from U Washington PM me with who their POI is? It will help me sleep at night ;)

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have made some changes to the LIST and hopefully it will make it easier to to find the school and program you are looking for. Go check it out! New updates are now italicized as suggested.

I also added a link to last year's thread and the interview feedback site.

If anyone has any sugguestions on how to make the list easier feel free to post or PM me!!!!

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I received an interview invite from UCF today via email from my POI.

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! I also received an interview invite from UCF on Friday, January 9th, from my POI. I was contacted by phone. My POI joked about the fact that the interview was being held on Friday the 13th of February.

Good luck!

Oh no! Drexel was my top choice :( Can you PM me w/ your POI? I wonder if they did all their calls today. Worst birthday surprise ever, ha.
Hi, just wanted to let you know that most of Drexel's interview invitations have not yet been sent. Invitations will continue to be sent throughout the next couple of weeks.

Hi, just wanted to let you know that most of Drexel's interview invitations have not yet been sent. Invitations will continue to be sent throughout the next couple of weeks.

*sigh of relief*

Anyone else actually excited for once that its Monday tomorrow? Hopefully some interview phone calls are on the horizon! :) Good luck everyone!

Anyone else actually excited for once that its Monday tomorrow? Hopefully some interview phone calls are on the horizon! :) Good luck everyone!

You are definitely not the only one! I'm very pleased that tomorrow is Monday! I'm even more pleased that I'll have work to keep me busy. :p

Good luck everyone! :luck: Here's to some more good news for all of us! :xf:

I got an invite today (Sunday) through email, so you NEVER know when it's coming!!!

Phone calls were made and emails were sent out on 1/8. If you haven't heard from the program yet, don't despair. There is an alternate list that will be tapped into. Interview Day is 1/30.

I got an invite today (Sunday) through email, so you NEVER know when it's coming!!!

I always thought of weekends as long days of desperation but I guess the call/email could come anytime. I can't wait for my schools to start extending their invites. I've been kinda calm so far because I sort of knew they wouldn't come before this week.... now the time has come ....AHHHHHHHH :eek:

I just got a phone call from my POI at Emory U this evening...and it's Sunday night!

Hi all! Just talked to Admissions at St. John's. The woman with whom I spoke said that they won't have any decisions regarding potential interviewees for 3-4 weeks.

I just spoke to a woman in the admissions office at UMass Boston. Apparently they never received my GRE subject test score, even though all the other schools did. Good thing I checked! When I asked if this would jeopardize my application status, she said that they were still dealing w/ GRE scores, so it wasn't too late. From looking at last year's thread, it looks like they sent out interview invites up until 2/8. In case anyone's interested! :D

(This is for Clinical Psych PhD, by the way)

Well, I just received my first rejection letter before my first invite. Too overwhelming. So I figured I'd start the rejection thread...enjoy!
:bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.