OFFICIAL 2009 Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear about the rejection. Where was the invite for, though?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I mean the interview invite. Or was the rejection after the interview?

I took what he/she meant is that they got the rejection before they even got an invite (as in, no invite yet)? but i guess we have to wait for them to clarify

Last edited:
it is fairly ambiguous... hopefully sierra will come back

Just to let everyone know....

University of Georgia (Clinical Psych.) sent out an their news for interviews via e-mail from an admissions associate

I just spoke to a woman in the admissions office at UMass Boston. Apparently they never received my GRE subject test score, even though all the other schools did. Good thing I checked! When I asked if this would jeopardize my application status, she said that they were still dealing w/ GRE scores, so it wasn't too late. From looking at last year's thread, it looks like they sent out interview invites up until 2/8. In case anyone's interested! :D

(This is for Clinical Psych PhD, by the way)

I've also had problems with UMass Boston- they lost one of my reference letters (that was sent in the beginning of November) and the admissions officers' voice mail is often full. I had my reference fax a new letter, which they only confirmed after 2 voice mails (spaced 1 wk apart). Yuck. Stony Brook also didn't get my GRE scores and Kentucky didn't get my transcripts- I guess we just have to be vigilant in checking up on things! Btw- ETS will resend one score complimentary if the school never got it.

Sorry about the ambiguity, I was saying I received a rejection before any invites….No invites yet

For Emory it was like a 40 minute phone interview, they are still going to have in-person interviews in February as well.

As for the people who asked me to PM them...I just joined and I don't know how to do it! Someone give me some instruction...

Could someone PM me about the U of Washington invite they got?

Thanks

For Emory it was like a 40 minute phone interview, they are still going to have in-person interviews in February as well.

As for the people who asked me to PM them...I just joined and I don't know how to do it! Someone give me some instruction...

Kapin,

just click on the user's name as it appears to the left side of the message, and a little scroll-down menu will open with an option of "send private message."

Hope this helps, and thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sierra: If it helps, it looks like it's going to be that way for me as well. :/

And, yes, UW person PLEAAAASE PM us. :oops:

Sierra: If it helps, it looks like it's going to be that way for me as well. :/

And, yes, UW person PLEAAAASE PM us. :oops:

It's still SO EARLY. Most rejection letters won't go out for months, at least that was my experience. And it seems as though people are more apt to tell you their POI if you take the time to PM them your question, rather than asking them to PM you. That's been my experience, anyway.

Has anyone heard anything from the University of Miami? Does anyone have any information on when interview invites will be extended? I know the website says the interview is Valentines Day weekend.

It's still SO EARLY. Most rejection letters won't go out for months, at least that was my experience. And it seems as though people are more apt to tell you their POI if you take the time to PM them your question, rather than asking them to PM you. That's been my experience, anyway.

I know, but it's difficult not to freak out a little when you're not hearing anything.

Thanks, but we don't have the person's screenname, so I can't PM them.

my guess is that this is a question for people who are currently in psych grad programs....

but when professors meet to discuss who to invite for interviews- what exactly is happening? are they listing stats? are they enlisting the help of other professors to pick their final few? how soon after this meeting would interview invites take place?

any ideas?

I received a request for a phone interview from my POI at State University of New York at Buffalo today.

Is it me or does it seem like there are more phone interviews this year than usual??? It seems like every other school is screening people over the phone first. I hope that doesn't mean that competition is especially fierce this year.:D:D

BTW, anyone heard fro U. of Utah out there??????

Is it me or does it seem like there are more phone interviews this year than usual??? It seems like every other school is screening people over the phone first. I hope that doesn't mean that competition is especially fierce this year.:D:D

BTW, anyone heard fro U. of Utah out there??????

Hey Lucyguard,

Are you talking about Univ of Utah's Clinical or Counseling program? Anyways, I received an e-mail for the Counseling program confirming that they had received my app and stating that invites would be issued by the end on the month. However, I have no idea about the Clinical program. Good luck!!!

Yeah, I did notice that more of them are cropping up on this thread. It may not just be the competition through. The schools could be mindful of the bad economy. As we all know, the application process is expensive. I think they want to have some more information (even a phone interview) prior to handing out interview invites just to make sure that we have a decent match prior to interview day. It not only saves the school time and money, but also saves you time and money (granted, we would all want an interview invite rather than a rejection, but we don't want an immediate rejection after the interview either).

Who knows? I could be completely wrong. However, after applying two years ago and re-applying this year, I have learned at least one thing: do not try to read to much into the admissions committee's actions. This will only lead to stress and anxiety, and you will never come to a proper conclusion anyway. Just take things as they come...although frantically checking your e-mail & this thread every hour (or less) is quite fine, too. :cool:

I also got the email from U of Utah Counseling program, outlining their timeline. The plan is:
Narrow down interview pool by end of January; invites shortly thereafter.
Interview day Feb. 20th.
Preliminary offers first week of March.

I wish they would have said how many applicants there are.

In the past, when I applied to U of U Clinical, I think rejection letters came fairly early, like March, I think. At least it seemed early since one year I was waiting all the way until May and June for those rejection letters from a couple of schools (one I was on the alternate list, and the other had over 700 applicants for 10 spots, and was struggling to process all of everything).

For those schools that have several interview days, I wonder if certain professors interview on one day or another, so the difference might just be which professor is holding interviews for their prospective students at which particular time.

Yeah, I did notice that more of them are cropping up on this thread. It may not just be the competition through. The schools could be mindful of the bad economy. As we all know, the application process is expensive. I think they want to have some more information (even a phone interview) prior to handing out interview invites just to make sure that we have a decent match prior to interview day. It not only saves the school time and money, but also saves you time and money (granted, we would all want an interview invite rather than a rejection, but we don't want an immediate rejection after the interview either).

I wondering if many school do just phone interviews? I begin applying next Fall and I plan on saving but I want to apply some places that are a bit farther away then a relatively short bus/driving trip, there is no way I can afford plane tickets IF i get interviews.:xf:

I wondering if many school do just phone interviews? I begin applying next Fall and I plan on saving but I want to apply some places that are a bit farther away then a relatively short bus/driving trip, there is no way I can afford plane tickets IF i get interviews.:xf:
All 12 of the clinical programs I applied to do in-person interviews for finalists. If money is tight, plan very very carefully- applying to graduate school is VERY expensive! You have to pay for gre tests, gre prep books/courses, sending out scores ($20 per school), application fees ($40-$75 per school), transcripts, fedex/ups fees (a lot of schools still require hard copies), interview travel, interview clothing, etc. Not to mention I did a lot more expensive/unhealthy take out instead of cooking because I was so busy!

Good luck- you're smart to be planning this sort of thing in advance.

Heard from my POI at Loyola-Chicago. Faculty there have been looking at applications but will not be making decisions about interview invites until Jan. 26.

Last edited:
My advisor just contacted her applicants with interview invites: University of Alabama Clinical Psych PhD. Gero and health concentrations interview Jan. 30. Child and law concentrations interview Feb. 13. Good luck!

Heard back from my POI at Loyola-Chicago. Faculty there have been looking at applications but will not be making decisions about interview invites until Jan. 26.

got scared for a minute, but I am relieved that they are not sending out invites yet!!! :eek: Had you emailed the POI inquiring about when they would be sending interview invites, and that's why they wrote to you?

OMG I am sooooo happy to be posting that I just got an email from the DCT at Oklahoma State inviting me for their open house on 02/21.

All I have to say is YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just to add a piece of info to the chaos. I just spoke with the graduate admissions secretary at Clark, and she said that if you haven't heard about an interview invite by the end of the month that's when to start worrying. So, let the suspense rise until then. I shall now go be quietly nauseous somewhere.

I just got an email from the coordinator at University of Montana, saying that my application is complete and faculty review will begin on January 20.

Congrats to everyone that has received interviews so far. I was wondering if anyone else applied to/ heard anything from:
University of Nevada Las Vegas
Suffolk
Temple

Congrats to everyone that has received interviews so far. I was wondering if anyone else applied to/ heard anything from:
Suffolk
Temple

Hi, neurocenni-

I received notification from UNLV via snail mail that my application was complete and was being processed. The letter was dated just before Christmas.

Good luck! :luck:

I just got an email from the coordinator at University of Montana, saying that my application is complete and faculty review will begin on January 20.

Oh God, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw you mention Montana. ;) Yeah, I received that email last month or so (I submitted my app pretty early), only it didn't mention Jan 20.

Last edited:
Oh God, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw you mention Montana. ;) Yeah, I received that email last month or so (I submitted my app pretty early), only it didn't mention Jan 20.

Sorry! The last thing we need right now is extra anxiety. :) I figured the date is what was worth mentioning, so there you go.

Suffolk
Temple

Neuro,

I've been e-mailing back and forth between the UNLV grad school and psych dept, and one of the assistants assured me today that updates and confirmation of completion would be issued sometime this week.

Sooo the waiting game continues!

For anyone else who applied to Columbia TC, I emailed w/ the admissions counselor today, and she said that the Clinical psych program generally extends interview invites in February with interview dates in late Feb or early March. So if you haven't heard anything by end of January... it's not too late!!!:xf:

Had a phone interview with my POI at Emory on 1/5, and was just invited by phone for an in-person interview Feb 5-7.

For anyone else who applied to Columbia TC, I emailed w/ the admissions counselor today, and she said that the Clinical psych program generally extends interview invites in February with interview dates in late Feb or early March. So if you haven't heard anything by end of January... it's not too late!!!:xf:

That's great to hear... I applied there and I've been wondering about them so thanks for sharing!

got scared for a minute, but I am relieved that they are not sending out invites yet!!! :eek: Had you emailed the POI inquiring about when they would be sending interview invites, and that's why they wrote to you?

Haha. Yeah, sorry to scare you there! ...But at least you can relax for two more weeks!
And no, I didn't contact him to ask about interviews. I had emailed him a few months ago while initially preparing an application and, from what he said, I guess when he saw my application, he decided to email me and let me know when interview invites came out. I guess that means at least I'm still in the running! :xf:

That's great to hear... I applied there and I've been wondering about them so thanks for sharing!

I got my Masters there. They don't even look at them until after the semester starts, which is not until sometime next week. Don't worry! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.