OFFICIAL 2009 Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you know if pgsp-stanford has already made a decision for all interviews?? i haven't heard anything yet and i'm getting kinda nervous! if they haven't contacted me yet...does that mean i'm rejected?

hey,

i DID get an email as well as a phone call. on the phone, the DCT said that they are trying to fill up their february dates right now, but their website says that they are doing interviews until march...

i'm guessing this means that they'll prob send out more invites as the feb interviews progress! good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Got interview for the following: Indiana University of Pennsylvania, clinical psych psy.d pgoram, got email today 1/16

To the person who heard from Boulder, would you be willing to tell me who your POI is?

Has anyone heard anything from the following schools:
UCLA
UC Berkeley
SDS/UCSD
Northwestern-Feinberg
Univ of Wisconsin Madison

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the invitation to Indiana University of Pennsylvania's clinical PsyD program too this morning! You can request an interview date out of like 12 different options so I don't know how you will update that on the master list.

Woohoo! My first invitation! I'm so excited :D

I have a question that maybe someone can help me out with. IUP's interview dates range from February 2nd to February 27th. Do you think that those who interview earlier will have a chance of being accepted earlier? Basically, if you request a later interview day will there be less slots for you?

I got an email from USC saying:

"Dear Applicant, If you received an email inviting you to Graduate Preview Day by the Office of Admissions, please be aware that this is a generic email that was sent to all graduate applicants who apply to USC.

The Department of Psychology admission committee members are currently evaluating applications. This process will continue through February and likely into March. "

I think this means if you haven't been contacted before this to Grad Preview day, you probably aren't in the first round of applicants...?[/QUOT

I got that to and my understanding was that it was a generic email that a lot of people got and were confused about and they were clarifying that this was NOT the invite email? Thoughts?

"Dear Applicant, If you received an email inviting you to Graduate Preview Day by the Office of Admissions, please be aware that this is a generic email that was sent to all graduate applicants who apply to USC.

The Department of Psychology admission committee members are currently evaluating applications. This process will continue through February and likely into March. "

I think this means if you haven't been contacted before this to Grad Preview day, you probably aren't in the first round of applicants...?

I'm pretty sure that you are right. If you look at page 1, first round of interviews have gone out because someone has received one already. Just chimin' in my two cents. Good luck!

I don't think so! It sounds like they're just telling you that interview invites haven't gone out yet (they didn't want you to think that Grad Preview Day is the interviews), and you shouldn't expect to hear for a while. I wouldn't worry.

I hope so!

Phone call from POI today for an interview weekend, Feb 12th - 15th. YAY!

I think this means if you haven't been contacted before this to Grad Preview day, you probably aren't in the first round of applicants...?[/QUOT

I got that to and my understanding was that it was a generic email that a lot of people got and were confused about and they were clarifying that this was NOT the invite email? Thoughts?

You're right but I think its saying...You're not invited, in nicer terms...

Well, I haven't actually had an interview invite yet, but I did receive an email from my POI at Marquette saying he was taking a close look at my application. ( I had emailed him awhile ago asking if he was going to be taking any students next year).

That's a good sign, I hope!

You're right but I think its saying...You're not invited, in nicer terms...

i totally disagree-i think it's a generic email - they say that. it's simply a confirmation of your app, and maybe a subtle sign to not call and pester them right now, as the process is by no means drawing to a close. there is no sign that it's anything else. keep up hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
i totally disagree-i think it's a generic email - they say that. it's simply a confirmation of your app, and maybe a subtle sign to not call and pester them right now, as the process is by no means drawing to a close. there is no sign that it's anything else. keep up hope!

I hope so, you would probably know best as a current graduate student. Thanks!

I tend to agree. I don't think there was much of anything to read into there except to say, "we haven't sent out invites yet"

I have a question that maybe someone can help me out with. IUP's interview dates range from February 2nd to February 27th. Do you think that those who interview earlier will have a chance of being accepted earlier? Basically, if you request a later interview day will there be less slots for you?

Hey Bama, congratulations! I got the IUP invite too, like 2 hours ago. My first.... so yeah, I'm really excited also!

As for your question-- I'm 99% sure that the day of the interview makes no difference. I think they will interview all the candidates over the next few weeks, then reconvene and make a final decision/notification then. A system that privileges people who can, by chance, attend earlier interviews would seem odd and arbitrary to me... Just my thoughts though-- wonder what other people think?

Good luck with interviews! Maybe we will bump into each other. ALSO, to the general post: is it common to request overnight accommodations with grad students if it isn't mentioned in the email? I'm a little new to this!

Good luck everyone! :luck::luck::luck::luck::)

Would the person who heard from CU Boulder PM me their POI? That would make my weekend!

FYI. The interview invitation from Denver University was for the Child Clinical PhD program

Could I possibly be the only one here waiting to hear from syracuse? :confused: hmmm. weird.

Congrats to the person who got an interview at Vanderbilt! I would also really appreciate it if you could PM me with who your POI is, if you wouldn't mind. thank you!

Hello everyone! If the people who heard from Vanderbilt & University of Washington would tell me who their POI is, I would appreciate it. It's OK if not though, and congrats!

Oh, and also if the person who heard from U of Oregon could let me know their POI, that would be great too, but again, it's OK if not.

I hope so, you would probably know best as a current graduate student. Thanks!

grad schools tend to be very direct about rejections -- even if it's kindly worded, it's clear. they have no reason to not be clear--right now they are the ones in control, bombarded by apps. this is just a "alright alright! we have your stuff, chill out we'll get back to you guys when we can" email. have hope!:)

grad schools tend to be very direct about rejections -- even if it's kindly worded, it's clear. they have no reason to not be clear--right now they are the ones in control, bombarded by apps. this is just a "alright alright! we have your stuff, chill out we'll get back to you guys when we can" email. have hope!:)

Thank you, its good to know. I think seeing an early invite made me think pessimistically. I'm sure we'll start hearing more next week.

I got an email from the Director of Training for an interview at Loyola University Chicago requesting an interview! The interview is scheduled for Monday, February 16th.

Hello everyone! If the people who heard from Vanderbilt & University of Washington would tell me who their POI is, I would appreciate it. It's OK if not though, and congrats!
i would really appreciate this also, i am driving myself crazy. thank you!

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there any way to tell whether a school has finished giving out interview offers, once it's reported that they have started?

I would imagine not, but some people seemed to be posting along the lines of, "they are not finished giving out offers yet", so it sounds like there may be a way, and patience is not my greatest virtue...

Can the person who was contacted by Harvard PM me with the name of their POI? Congratulations on the invite for phone interview!! :)

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there any way to tell whether a school has finished giving out interview offers, once it's reported that they have started?

I would imagine not, but some people seemed to be posting along the lines of, "they are not finished giving out offers yet", so it sounds like there may be a way, and patience is not my greatest virtue...

You can call them and ask. I've called all of my schools and sometimes the secretary has no info, but most of them are glad to help out. Some schools are pretty hard to get a hold of tho.

I got an email from the Director of Training for an interview at Loyola University Chicago requesting an interview! The interview is scheduled for Monday, February 16th.

weh! :( do you mind PMing me who your POI is?

schwarbi: you were contacted for the counseling program at LUC, not the clinical program, correct? (congrats either way! i'm just anxious about the clinical program!)

Is anyone else getting antsy about hearing from Temple? The website says interviews are going out around the weekend of January 17th... exciting!! :luck:

Well, I didn't apply to Temple but I can't wait for these next too weeks since pretty much all of my programs said they'd be making decision and calls then.

And just for all the hopeless souls out there DON'T FREAK IF YOUR PROGRAM HAS EXTENDED INVITES. I was just contacted by the DCT from Memphis (we were discussing a problem with my application) and even though someone here has posted that they've received a call, she said faculty are reviewing apps and will be making decisions IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS. SO THERE IS HOPE. Even if some professors have made some of their decisions, they could still invite more people, and other professors may still be looking at apps. So deep breaths everyone! :xf:

Is anyone else getting antsy about hearing from Temple? The website says interviews are going out around the weekend of January 17th... exciting!! :luck:

I know I am! I think we might be the only people applying to Temple on here. I'm soooo nervous and keep checking my email, Temple's website and SDN. Will you PM if you get the email so I can know and stop freaking out?!

Good luck shamrock14!!

:xf::xf::xf::xf:

i just got an invite to UConn for an interview on Feb6, and they have been extending invites since December! so for all of us still waiting on schools that have already given interviews, it seems like it's really not a lost cause just yet :) good luck everyone!

I didn't hear yet from temple - also really nervous. Please write or PM when you hear!

And just for all the hopeless souls out there DON'T FREAK IF YOUR PROGRAM HAS EXTENDED INVITES. I was just contacted by the DCT from Memphis (we were discussing a problem with my application) and even though someone here has posted that they've received a call, she said faculty are reviewing apps and will be making decisions IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS. SO THERE IS HOPE. Even if some professors have made some of their decisions, they could still invite more people, and other professors may still be looking at apps. So deep breaths everyone! :xf:

Thanks for the encouraging message. I think you're right, the timing of the process really depends heavily on the POIs. I haven't gotten any phone calls yet but I am still feeling hopeful about the whole thing.

So good luck to all of us who are anxiously waiting by the phone/email from morning to midnight :luck:

schwarbi: you were contacted for the counseling program at LUC, not the clinical program, correct? (congrats either way! i'm just anxious about the clinical program!)

oh counseling?? phew! i'm waiting for clinical too... i almost wet myself LOL :laugh:

As far as I can tell, there IS no counseling program at Loyola. Can someone explain?

I got an e-mail about an hour after my phone interview with my POI yesterday inviting me to interview at Virginia Tech 2/12-2/13 (for the Clinical Psych Ph.D. program)! :D They're also paying for my accommodations. Is that typical?

Last edited:
I got an interview invite from Louisiana State University! This is so exciting! Yay!:D :D

Last edited:
hey guys, I'm sorry there's been a misunderstanding about the program at LUC. I don't know anything about their clinical or counseling programs but since schwarbi posted it as an interview for counseling, I'll keep it on the thread as counseling :)

As far as I know, no one has mentioned an interview for the clinical program there yet. Good luck guys!!!!!!

I got an e-mail about an hour after my phone interview with my POI yesterday inviting me to interview at Virginia Tech 2/12-2/13 (for the Clinical Psych Ph.D. program)! :D They're also paying for my accommodations. Is that typical?

Congrats! I still have't heard from my POI at Virginia Tech. Still hopeful.

Interestingly, the weekend of your interview falls directly in the middle of the INS convention in Atlanta. My POI is into neuropsych (as I), so I doubt my POI would have an interview that weekend. AH! Who knows.:)

U Mich is paying travel, room and board for my interview too. Be happy, because a few do that, most don't

For all of you who have heard from UConn- Is there any way you could PM me your POI? UConn is my #1 choice and I still havent heard anything... getting a little nervous. :(

I was wondering if someone could provide me some insight on how acceptance offers are generally made. Do the schools generally wait a long time after the interview or is it done fairly soon afterwards? Also, do the schools expect a direct reply when the offer is made? If you get an offer but are waiting to hear from another school, what do you tell the school providing you the initial offer?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide. I just want to be prepared if things do work out in my favor this time.

I was wondering if someone could provide me some insight on how acceptance offers are generally made. Do the schools generally wait a long time after the interview or is it done fairly soon afterwards? Also, do the schools expect a direct reply when the offer is made? If you get an offer but are waiting to hear from another school, what do you tell the school providing you the initial offer?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide. I just want to be prepared if things do work out in my favor this time.

Hi Ollie! The time between interview and acceptances varies by school and even by advisor. However, it's totally acceptable to ask when you should expect to hear more, after an interview.

If you're offered admission and you're still waiting to hear from other schools, DON'T accept the offer (unless it's your first choice, of course!). Just say you'll thrilled, and that you'll let them know as soon as possible.

One thing-- It's pretty bad form to hold more than one offer at a time. So if you do get more than one offer, choose between them and decline one as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.