*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It depends. If you were paid to research, then it can go under work experience. If you weren't paid, I would put it under extra-curricular activities. Hope this helps!

Thank you :)
May I ask another question? For the honors and scholarships, I can only write down 5. However on the student booklet it says I can put up to 10. Is it the same for you guys too?

Members don't see this ad.

What about this situation? Do /I/ need to convert?

PharmCAS has this to say:

Enter the number of credit hours earned as they appear on your transcript. Exception: If you failed or withdrew from a course, enter the credits ATTEMPTED in the credits field, regardless of whether the course credits on your transcript are shown as blank, zero "0", or if you later repeated the course for a higher grade. The application will not allow you to leave the credits field blank.

If your credits are listed as units, you must use the conversion table on the back of your transcript to enter the proper amount of credits. Example: 1 unit = 4 hours, you enter 4 into credit hours.

That's interesting since I've always known "units" to mean "credit hours" with the average course being 4 units or so. So I suppose "units" could be school specific.

I'm guessing it will be 4 units for your lecture and 1 unit for the mini lab. So you decided to list the same grade for both parts?

Last edited:
I have und question. How does the whole "Letter of rec" process work with PharmCAS?
I think the evaluator has to fill out two forms, no?
Are the PharmCAS instructions straightforward? The last thing I want is the evaluator wasting his time figuring out what the heck to do next.

When you do paper for the LOR, you end up printing out 2 pages. One is just information about whoever is writing your letter, and the other is an evaluation type of sheet. Whoever is writing your LOR would then have to tack on their recommendation letter to those two pages.

However to bring back the topic in the very beginning, I have a question about turning pharmcas in early. I've heard mixed reviews about turning in pharmcas in early while still having to wait for summer courses. So what I've taken out from reading past threads is that some schools will wait on the summer transcripts practically deeming your pharmcas application incomplete--so that even if you turn it in early and then add the transcript after the summer course in aug means that you are basically not turning it in until december-ish when they do the academic update. So wouldn't it be better to turn it in mid-august all together so you wouldn't have to essentially wait until december when pharmcas does this academic update? Maybe I got confused, but could someone please clarify?

Members don't see this ad :)
When filling in extracurriculars, If I want to enter a musical instrument that I have played for many years, along with various honors/awards I have received. What am I supposed to put under Number of hours? It will come out to thousands and thousands of hours. What exactly should I do in this case? Sorry if this is stupid.

When filling in extracurriculars, If I want to enter a musical instrument that I have played for many years, along with various honors/awards I have received. What am I supposed to put under Number of hours? It will come out to thousands and thousands of hours. What exactly should I do in this case? Sorry if this is stupid.

Can you enter a non-numerical value? Maybe just type "innumerable" or "countless" or something along those lines.

I am taking the PCAT in July, should I go ahead and submit the application now or should I wait until I have the PCAT scores in?

Can I indicate that I will take the PCAT and submit PharmCAS without a PCAT score?
Will PCAT score be automatically sent to PharmCAS??

Credit hour just means hours of class per week, generally. There is no differentiation between semester and quarter. To answer your specific question, there is no need to convert. You already specified to PharmCAS what type of term it is (semester, quarter, or trimester).

So, wait if a semester at a community college says 1 unit and it is 16 weeks per semester am I to assume it is 1 unit = 1 number of credit hours?

Then is it so if example: math 4 units = 4 numbers of credit hours?

What about quarter system??? at UC they go by quarter so does that also mean 1 unit = 1 number of credit hours?

SOOOO lost!!! someone plz help.

Project2015 said in the post you quoted that you specify which type of system the school is on. Quarter, Semester etc. I assume since you specify that you're in a quarter system, you just enter the units without converting.

For grades if your college counts a B+ as a 3.5, do you adjust the grade in Pharmcas to an AB to make it 3.5? I was sort of confused by their pdf file.

I see that many classes required by schools are what most people have taken except a few...will my application be considered if I haven't taken those classes yet but will have to sign up for them for the fall term? Or should I wait (I've already graduated from college and have been home for a year)?

Lastly, is submitting my PCAT CID enough or do I have to pay 20$ to pearson to send the scores to Pharmcas?

Thanks in advance!

I am taking the PCAT in July, should I go ahead and submit the application now or should I wait until I have the PCAT scores in?

Can I indicate that I will take the PCAT and submit PharmCAS without a PCAT score?
Will PCAT score be automatically sent to PharmCAS??

I suppose so, but I don't see an advantage to submit this early as PharmCAS won't be sending anything out until August (I think). The school may not evaluate the application until all parts are received. I guess at least the app itself will be closer to the front of the queue. I don't know if the PCAT score is subject to their lengthy processing time.

Just make sure that you have PharmCAS as a recipient when registering for the PCAT.

1. I would put the date corresponding to the assumption that you get accepted and also indicate that no degree is planned.

2. Check your student portal on your college's site. It should be based on units. For example, 0-29.9 is freshmen, 30-59.9 sophomore, etc. for a semester system.

3. No explicit check by PharmCAS. Could be evaluated based on other parts of the application and/or other school-specific protocols.

4. - Organic Chemistry Workshop Leader: Probably not. Better suited for an essay point.
- Violin: Unless it's a formal thing, I would also just incorporate into the essays.
- Piano: See previous.
- Freelance Composing: PharmCAS has this to say in the accompanying instructions: "Do NOT include paid work experience in this section."
- USTA Tennis Leagues: Yes.

5. I think so, but I think it may be geared towards scientific literature.

6. I would put Dean's List and others under Honors/Scholarships. Volunteer could go in either EC or Work, but just don't list twice.

7. You generally have to do it in person in order to give the registrar your form. The forms do have blanks to be filled by you. It should be the date you expect to leave (and in your case, without a degree). You can get a transcript (official or unofficial) for yourself for inputing grades into PharmCAS.

8. No idea.

9. Generally it is suggested that you waive your right to view the LOR so that the writer is free of pressure of knowing that you can see it and as a sign to schools that the LORs are more honest. You shouldn't ask to see anything; if the writer wants, they can come to you for input.

Members don't see this ad :)
For grades if your college counts a B+ as a 3.5, do you adjust the grade in Pharmcas to an AB to make it 3.5? I was sort of confused by their pdf file.

I see that many classes required by schools are what most people have taken except a few...will my application be considered if I haven't taken those classes yet but will have to sign up for them for the fall term? Or should I wait (I've already graduated from college and have been home for a year)?

Lastly, is submitting my PCAT CID enough or do I have to pay 20$ to pearson to send the scores to Pharmcas?

Thanks in advance!

No, you should enter it as B+. PharmCAS will calculate it as 3.3 in order standardize GPA calculations across schools.

Your application will be considered as long as you have a plan to finish all prerequisites by the specified term (usually spring or summer of the year entering, so 2012).

I think you will need to request the scores from Pearson. The CID is just for PharmCAS to match it up to what they receive.

No, you should enter it as B+. PharmCAS will calculate it as 3.3 in order standardize GPA calculations across schools.

Your application will be considered as long as you have a plan to finish all prerequisites by the specified term (usually spring or summer of the year entering, so 2012).

I think you will need to request the scores from Pearson. The CID is just for PharmCAS to match it up to what they receive.

Thanks a lot Project2015. Very informative. Do you know if they accept community college credits? I'm not trying to pay 300+$ for credits at Rutgers.

1. Yeah, so that would be May/June 2012 assuming you finish after spring?

4. A good EC is one where you are deeply involved (based on position, impact, or time) to the point where the experience you gain makes you a better person, more prepared for future endeavors - academics and otherwise - or even just showcases your character, interests, and skills. Topic is defined by the prompt? Pre-pharm could make the bottom of your list. I suppose those activities would be fine if they're serious/consistent and it sounds like they are.

Thanks a lot Project2015. Very informative. Do you know if they accept community college credits? I'm not trying to pay 300+$ for credits at Rutgers.

If by "they" you mean the school, you should check each one individually. Some are fine with it and others view it as lesser. Without any more info, I would guess it's ok especially since you have a bachelors and if you majored in science and those CC credits are not the core prereqs.

"Advisor Release" for privacy statement? yes or no or doesn't matter?

Last edited:
Just make sure that you have PharmCAS as a recipient when registering for the PCAT.
Gosh, I didn't know this :eek:

... but I just called them and they said it would get sent to PharmCAS no matter if I chose PharmCAS a recipient or not...

Gosh, I didn't know this :eek:

... but I just called them and they said it would get sent to PharmCAS no matter if I chose PharmCAS a recipient or not...

Alright. I actually don't know much about this. Just passing along info gleaned from SDN. I also heard that if you have a PharmCAS school as a recipient, it goes to PharmCAS instead.

Oh goodness! Maybe I'll have to re-register my test...

I didn't choose PharmCAS as a recipient for my January 2011 PCAT and it did not get sent. I decided just yesterday that I want to send my January 2011 PCAT to PharmCAS. You can do so by logging into the PCAT website and going under "Transcripts." From there you can send your scores to the school/PharmCAS.
Did it cost money to send it this way??

Never free when it comes to standardized testing orgs. :rolleyes:

does research (Orthopedics Department) count as health care related EC or no??

I am taking some classes this incoming summer and it won't end until early September. I am applying to some schools with rolling admissions, USC and UOP,would this jeopardize my application? If I send my pharmcas application around mid-july and send my updated transcript with the summer classes grades in early to mid September, would Pharmcas send my application to this schools in July or hold it until the updated transcripts arrive?

I am taking some classes this incoming summer and it won't end until early September. I am applying to some schools with rolling admissions, USC and UOP,would this jeopardize my application? If I send my pharmcas application around mid-july and send my updated transcript with the summer classes grades in early to mid September, would Pharmcas send my application to this schools in July or hold it until the updated transcripts arrive?

No. PharmCAS will send your app with those summer courses listed as in progress. They won't accept academic updates until late December.

I had a really bad semester at one point where I ended up with 3 D's. I wasn't placed under academic probation or anything of the sort. My question is, should I consider this "Institutional Action" ? I'm thinking no because I wasn't placed under probation, but I just want to make sure.

I do have personal and family reasons from that semester that I would like to discuss in the application, but should that just be in my personal statement?

That is my understanding. I know some SDNers have added themselves as a writer just to see what it's like. Perhaps those people can chime in.

You can see the actual reference form in the applicant instructions at http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201112.pdf

If the writer copies and pastes their letter into the comments section it is only one form. However, they can upload a PDF or a Word doc of their letter as well.

Hey everyone, I'm wondering what if when I e-submit on PharmCAS, but they haven't received my transcript yet? In that case, what would happen? would the submit date date be the date I e-submit? or the date that they finally receive my transcript? And how would they calculate my GPA without my transcript?

Hi letsskate - I'm Jen, the Director of PharmCAS.

The date that you e-submit is the date that is recorded in PharmCAS. The date that your transcripts are received is the date that is recorded for the receipt of your transcripts. The two dates are listed separately. Your application will not be processed until you e-submit, your payment is received and your transcripts have been received. You can find more information at http://www.pharmcas.org/applicants/esubmit.htm

I am not sure if this question was posted elsewhere, but do we have to take PCAT before we complete our Pharmcas and submit it?

No you do not have to take PCAT before you complete your PharmCAS application. You just need to indicate when you plan to take it in the TESTS section of the application. You can go back into the application and add your PCAT CID in the "My Account" section once you have registered to take the PCAT.

You can find more information at http://www.pharmcas.org/applicants/tests.htm

Good Luck!

1. For eLORs, our writers don't need to put a professional letterhead right? Just a simple word document to upload?
2. As long as I register for an account and input writer info, pharmcas will email my writers the recommendation request?

(sorry if this is a stupid question lol :oops: )

Ayuka001,

Not stupid questions at all.

1. They can if they want to, but they don't have to.
2. Yes, of course, but you should still contact your writers first to let them know that the email is coming.

Please refer to page 42 of the instructions for more information at http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201112.pdf

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

I am applying to schools with rolling admissions. On the PharmCAS website from last cycle it says that on Aug 2, (2010), "PharmCAS begins to ship applications to schools on or before date." What does this mean? Will they send all applications from June and July together starting in August? Or is this just the time it takes to process the applications, so ones submitted in early June will be sent approx. early Aug, and ones submitted in July later, etc.? What I mean is, does it make a difference whether I apply the first week of June vs. the last week in July (for rolling admissions schools)?:confused:
Greekapino,

The first electronic mailing will be sent to the schools on August 1. Nothing will be sent prior to that date.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

I attended several classes at local community colleges. It's one school district, but with four several colleges. When I enter that into the PharmCAS, it has a transcript request form for each of the colleges I attended, but the entire district issues one transcript. What should I do in this case? Should I give all four transcript request form to the cashier when requesting transcript?

Yes, give all 4 forms to the cashier and ask that they all be sent with the one transcript.

I graduated from my primary school in 2005 and then started again in May 2009 to complete my pre-req's. Should I enter these separately into my education since there was a long enough gap that I had to reapply for admission?

Yes, otherwise it will look like you went to school there for a REALLY long time. Just print out both transcript request forms and ask that they both be sent in with your transcript.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

Regarding letters of reference that are going to be submitted online, does it require an actual signature from the referrer, or is a typed name sufficient? Please let me know, thanks!

The reference writer will be provided with clear instructions on how to submit the reference electronically.

You can find more information on page 42 at http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201112.pdf

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

Thank you :)
May I ask another question? For the honors and scholarships, I can only write down 5. However on the student booklet it says I can put up to 10. Is it the same for you guys too?

Rasouls,

This is a typo in the instructions (thanks for reading them BTW!!) and will be fixed shortly.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

"Advisor Release" for privacy statement? yes or no or doesn't matter?

Advisors find the information very helpful and can more easily help you with your application, but it's up to you.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

I had a really bad semester at one point where I ended up with 3 D's. I wasn't placed under academic probation or anything of the sort. My question is, should I consider this "Institutional Action" ? I'm thinking no because I wasn't placed under probation, but I just want to make sure.

I do have personal and family reasons from that semester that I would like to discuss in the application, but should that just be in my personal statement?

As long as there was not an institutional action or if none of the poor grades were related to a professor punishing you for something like cheating then you do not need to mark yes. If they were truly for poor performance then you would mark no. It is a VERY good idea to explain the poor performance in your personal statement.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

This may be a topic that is more appropriate to include in your personal statement. You can discuss how the skills you've gained will help you to better succeed in a PharmD program.

You can enter the most important honors in the honors/awards section.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of filling out my PharmCAS app for the first time. Here are a few questions I have. Hopefully someone can help me out:

1. Under Colleges Attended, it asks for my "Attendance Date to Month/Year." Do I simply input my expected graduation date assuming that I don't get into Pharmacy School and complete my Bachelor's Degree?

2. Under Coursework, it asks for my "Academic Status" when I try to input courses. Do I input my "Academic Status" in terms of the number of years I have been in college, or by the number of credit hours I have earned? I notice in the .pdf that it says to select my "student registration status." This would be the number of years I have been in college, right?

3. Under Extracurriculars, I am going to input the number of volunteer hours I have performed at the hospital. I notice though that it seems fairly easy to "fake" hours here. PharmCAS and/or the Pharmacy School do monitor the legitimacy of these hours right? (By no means am I trying to "fake" my hours here. This just strikes me as odd.)

4. Under Extracurriculars, I need some input on including the following:
- Volunteer Hours at Hospital Pharmacy (I have no questions here really)
- Organic Chemistry Workshop Leader: (starting August 2011; do I include this?)
- Violin: (I noticed someone mentioning putting musical instruments in. Should I include this?)
- Piano: (I noticed someone mentioning putting musical instruments in. Should I include this?)
- Freelance Composing: (I make a modest amount of money digitally composing music for various indie game developers. Can this go here rather than "work" experience.)
- USTA Tennis Leagues: (I participate in tennis leagues. Should I include this?)

5. Under Publications, can is it okay for me to include the following:
- A print publication on the topic of Cultural Diversity in my University's Award Winning Essays Book.
- An online publication of a local business evaluation through the College of Business in my University.

6. This is a bit late, but upon further reading in the .pdf provided, it seems that I should include things such as "Dean's List" under Extracurriculars and have "Volunteer Work" go under Work Experience. Is this correct?

7. I need to submit a Transcript Request Form. Is it advisable to go to the registrars office in person to both receive my transcript and also mail out a second transcript to PharmCAS? Also, I notice in the copy of the form that I print out that "Campus Attended" and "Dates of Attendance" are blank. I'm not sure why. Should I just fill this out by hand? And is my end "date of attendance" my expected graduation date?

8. I took the PCAT January 2011 and I want to report it to my PharmCAS. I did not input a score recipient at the time. I notice that I can mail a new score report to my address, but I don't see an option to report it to PharmCAS. How do I do this? [edit] Nevermind, I think I have found the answer to this. I have to go to Transcripts in the PCAT site, correct?

9. What is the proper method to request a LOR? Should I say "yes" to the waiver? Is it acceptable for me to contact my reference and provide them with the questions in the .pdf file first so that I can see their response and possibly suggest improvements? I don't mean to be dishonest in any way, I am just not sure if this is acceptable or not.

Those are all of my questions for now. I realize that I posted quite a lot. I would really appreciate it if all of these questions could be addressed! Thanks! :D

1. It would be appropriate to list May 2012 given that if you get in, you will end your time at that school at that point. You also won't want to list planned coursework past that point anyway.
2. You would list your status of what you were when you took the class. i.e. I was a Freshman when I took English 101.
3. The schools do verify that the information is correct.
4. see Project2015's answers for this one.
5. Any type of publication can be listed.
6. see Project2015's answers for this one.
7. It's best to request your transcripts as early as possible. You are required to fill out some of the fields in the form. You will only fill out the actual dates that they are sending the transcripts for.
8. You got it.
9. It's up to you on the waiver, but most writers tend to feel more comfortable giving honest feedback about you if you waive your right to see it. I would suggest contacting them prior to putting the request in PharmCAS so that they are aware the request is coming and showing them the sample will help them prepare. I would also suggest sharing your personal statement, your resume, and a list of strengths and weaknesses that you have with them. This will help them to write a more effective letter.

Good Luck!

Sorry for the barrage of posts, I've been a little behind getting PharmCAS launched! I promise to be more regular on this site. Also, please note that PharmCAS is on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PharmCAS.

Good Luck to everyone!

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

You can see the actual reference form in the applicant instructions at http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201112.pdf

If the writer copies and pastes their letter into the comments section it is only one form. However, they can upload a PDF or a Word doc of their letter as well.

Sure it lists the questions, but doesn't really provide information exactly as seen by the writer. That type of info is needed to address the logistical questions/concerns by some applicants. :)

Yes, otherwise it will look like you went to school there for a REALLY long time. Just print out both transcript request forms and ask that they both be sent in with your transcript.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

If so, the instructions aren't clear on that.

Enter the beginning and end dates of attendance, or anticipated end date, regardless of gaps in attendance. [emphasis added] Please format MM/DD/YYYY

That to me suggests that it should be listed as one item.

As long as there was not an institutional action or if none of the poor grades were related to a professor punishing you for something like cheating then you do not need to mark yes. If they were truly for poor performance then you would mark no. It is a VERY good idea to explain the poor performance in your personal statement.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

Yes, it was solely for poor performance, bad timing, and my own family circumstances. In relation, I made sure to retake those three courses... For a course we repeated do we put "Repeated" on BOTH the first AND second attempt or JUST the second attempt?

Hope it's okay that I ask this ( didn't want to make a new thread). I took a course called biol040 which is about diseases and plagues but it was a very "simple" class where most students were not science majors. I want to ask the prof for a LOR since she's nice and I know her well ( I also got an A that only top 10 percent did). So even though it's not from a harder science class or a prereq science is it okay to use her letter to satisfy the science professor lor requirement?