*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If so, the instructions aren't clear on that.

That to me suggests that it should be listed as one item.

Thanks, I will work with the PharmCAS staff to make sure that the section is more clear.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure it lists the questions, but doesn't really provide information exactly as seen by the writer. That type of info is needed to address the logistical questions/concerns by some applicants. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I will add it to the instructions. But no fair complaining that they are too long now ;)

Hope it's okay that I ask this ( didn't want to make a new thread). I took a course called biol040 which is about diseases and plagues but it was a very "simple" class where most students were not science majors. I want to ask the prof for a LOR since she's nice and I know her well ( I also got an A that only top 10 percent did). So even though it's not from a harder science class or a prereq science is it okay to use her letter to satisfy the science professor lor requirement?

You may want to call and ask a few schools for their opinion, but in my opinion I would rather have a letter from a professor who knows you well and can write and objective reference than a letter from a professor of a harder course who doesn't know you as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Help! I've been granted a fee waiver and if I don't use the FW within the next 45 days, I will lose it. But I'll take the PCAT on July 27th. Should I go ahead and submit the app. before the score is in????

The pharmcas lor form has a comment's section which asks about the student's strengths and weaknesses. Would my recommender answer this, and then upload a letter? Or is this supposed to be answered in the letter (which if uploaded they can leave the comment's section empty)?

Hope that wasn't a confusing question. Thank you ! :)

Hi Everyone,
I have a question.
The following statement:
"Please list work experience in order of importance to you"

Is it least to most importance or the other way around?
Thanks in advance!

You may want to call and ask a few schools for their opinion, but in my opinion I would rather have a letter from a professor who knows you well and can write and objective reference than a letter from a professor of a harder course who doesn't know you as well.

Thanks Jen!
So when I input her info in the writers section, do I put her specifically as "lecturer" or can I put "professor" ?

( I asked my schools and they were okay with her rec :thumbup: )

Hi Everyone,
I have a question.
The following statement:
"Please list work experience in order of importance to you"

Is it least to most importance or the other way around?
Thanks in advance!

Most important first.

1. I have a question about academic probation. I was placed on academic probation for one semester after a bad semester consisting of family problems and the like. Do I only have to cite that in the background section, or is there something I have to do for the courses in the semester in which I was on probation in the coursework section?

2. Do I have to add dropped courses to the coursework section? I have two courses that show up on my transcript as drops, but I don't see a special classification in the coursework section that looks like it would correspond to a dropped course.

I look forward to your responses, thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, give all 4 forms to the cashier and ask that they all be sent with the one transcript.

Hi Jen, I actually called PharmCAS about this question, and the person told me just only print out 1 transcript request form, and i can choose any one of the four, but on that one form that i print out, under campus attended, list all four campuses that I have attended, and you guys will put them together.

I have sent the transcript already this way, and only printed one transcript request form but listed all campuses attended.

Would that be OK? or is it better if i just print all 4 and re-send??

Yes, otherwise it will look like you went to school there for a REALLY long time. Just print out both transcript request forms and ask that they both be sent in with your transcript.

Jen,
PharmCAS Director

What if the school with the long gap isn't my primary school? Should I still list it separately? I took some classes at this community college during high school, and after graduating from college, just now, to complete some pre-reqs.

Also, as I mentioned above, I have sent the transcript to PharmCAS already, should I resend?

One more question: On my transcript, the AP classes are listed as such:

ADV PLACEMENT EXAM - AM HIST, 05-04

Should I enter this entire thing as Course Title? or just "AM HIST"? or "AM HIST, 05-04"? and then for Course Prefix and Number, enter "AP" or "ADV PLACEMENT EXAM"? There is no letter grade at all for this, I guess just enter "CR"?

Also want to confirm that I enter this under session 1 of my primary college right? even though the date on their, 05-04, suggests that it's before my first semester of college?

Members don't see this ad :)
One more question: On my transcript, the AP classes are listed as such:

ADV PLACEMENT EXAM - AM HIST, 05-04

Should I enter this entire thing as Course Title? or just "AM HIST"? or "AM HIST, 05-04"? and then for Course Prefix and Number, enter "AP" or "ADV PLACEMENT EXAM"? There is no letter grade at all for this, I guess just enter "CR"?

Also want to confirm that I enter this under session 1 of my primary college right? even though the date on their, 05-04, suggests that it's before my first semester of college?

Use the entire line as course title. Put AP for course prefix/number. CR for grade. Enter exam score for test score.

List under the first session of the college that first gave you credit. It doesn't necessarily need to be the primary. For example, you attended a community college before transferring to a 4-year university. The college gave you credits for the AP exams and they are listed on the transcript. Since you transferred, it also shows up on your university transcript. Only list it under the first session at the community college - which isn't the primary (degree-granting) college.

And of course it is before the first semester of college since AP exams are administered to high school students.

Use the entire line as course title. Put AP for course prefix/number. CR for grade. Enter exam score for test score.

List under the first session of the college that first gave you credit. It doesn't necessarily need to be the primary. For example, you attended a community college before transferring to a 4-year university. The college gave you credits for the AP exams and they are listed on the transcript. Since you transferred, it also shows up on your university transcript. Only list it under the first session at the community college - which isn't the primary (degree-granting) college.

And of course it is before the first semester of college since AP exams are administered to high school students.

Hey thanks for replying! But just to clarify, No, i did not transfer to 4-year college from a 2-year community college. I went to all four years of the 4-year college right after graduating from high school. I took some courses in the community college DURING my high school, like during the summers of my high school.

So the AP scores only appeared on my primary college transcript, which is the 4-year college.

With that said, I think I should list the AP scores/credits under the first semester of my primary college, which is the fall semester of my freshmen year in college, correct?

Question about AP course credit; so my high school AP courses were transferred to my 4 year university as credit. Should I enter ALL the credit I received under the first session of when I was a freshman?

Also, since the university already has given me credit and has record of my AP scores, do I still need to submit my AP test scores (which were over 4 years ago) to the pharmacy schools I am applying to? I don't know if this is school specific, but basically I'm applying to all the California schools. Let me know, Thanks!

Question about AP course credit; so my high school AP courses were transferred to my 4 year university as credit. Should I enter ALL the credit I received under the first session of when I was a freshman?

Also, since the university already has given me credit and has record of my AP scores, do I still need to submit my AP test scores (which were over 4 years ago) to the pharmacy schools I am applying to? I don't know if this is school specific, but basically I'm applying to all the California schools. Let me know, Thanks!

All of them. The necessity of submitting the AP score report will be school dependent.

Yes, give all 4 forms to the cashier and ask that they all be sent with the one transcript.

Thank you Jen, I had a similar question as was going to call you all Monday to bug you.

I am currently attending a community college system in my state and while I definitely have one main campus, I have taken a few online courses with schools on the other side of my rather long state! I was worried I'd have to drive all of the way out there to request transcripts since they only do in-person requests! I was especially concerned because all of those classes would show up on the official KCTCS transcript, regardless of campus.

Thanks again for taking a load off of my mind!

I put one of my reference's title as "Ms." when she has a PhD so should I have put "Dr." instead? if yes, how do I change it (since I tried clicking on her name but pharmcas doesn't seem to let me change it)?

Thank you!

I put one of my reference's title as "Ms." when she has a PhD so should I have put "Dr." instead? if yes, how do I change it (since I tried clicking on her name but pharmcas doesn't seem to let me change it)?

Thank you!

I think you will be ok. I would only try and change it if the teacher goes by Dr. so-and-so and would be offended by being addressed as Ms.

If so, the instructions aren't clear on that.

That to me suggests that it should be listed as one item.

Thanks, I will work with the PharmCAS staff to make sure that the section is more clear.

Project2015 is correct - dates of attendance should be entered as such: Enter the beginning and end dates of attendance, or anticipated end date, regardless of gaps in attendance. Please format MM/DD/YYYY - I'm going to add some info to the directions about the transcript request forms, so that it is less confusing.

Help! I've been granted a fee waiver and if I don't use the FW within the next 45 days, I will lose it. But I'll take the PCAT on July 27th. Should I go ahead and submit the app. before the score is in????

If you want to use the fee waiver, then you MUST e-submit within 45 business days or you will lose it. You can e-submit before your PCAT scores are in.

Hi Jen, I actually called PharmCAS about this question, and the person told me just only print out 1 transcript request form, and i can choose any one of the four, but on that one form that i print out, under campus attended, list all four campuses that I have attended, and you guys will put them together.

I have sent the transcript already this way, and only printed one transcript request form but listed all campuses attended.

Would that be OK? or is it better if i just print all 4 and re-send??

I've clarified this with the PharmCAS staff and it is easier for them to have just one form with all the campuses listed, so stick with it this way. Sorry to be confusing!

Thank you Jen, I had a similar question as was going to call you all Monday to bug you.

I am currently attending a community college system in my state and while I definitely have one main campus, I have taken a few online courses with schools on the other side of my rather long state! I was worried I'd have to drive all of the way out there to request transcripts since they only do in-person requests! I was especially concerned because all of those classes would show up on the official KCTCS transcript, regardless of campus.

Thanks again for taking a load off of my mind!

It depends on if it is considered to be the same school. If they are listed as transfer credits on your transcript because it is a different school, then you must send in separate transcripts. If it is the same school, then you can only send in one form and list all of the campuses you attended (I had to confirm this with PharmCAS staff and they prefer one form).

Sorry this can be confusing!

Thanks for the help Jen!

Okay so I have another question. Project2015, you answered this before in the older PharmCAS questions thread but now I just want to make sure my process is correct.

I took the PCAT January 2011 and I am in the process of sending the scores to PharmCAS. I am taking the PCAT again July 27th, 2011. I am applying for UK's Early Decision before September 3rd. Right now I am hoping that my scores get in on time.

So is this the safest and best way to do things:
1. Ensure that January 2011 PCAT scores are sent to PharmCAS.
2. Take the PCAT July 27th, 2011.
3. E-submit PharmCAS with early decision BEFORE my July 27th PCAT scores are in.
4. Update my PCAT scores as soon as they are in (hopefully before Sept. 3rd)

Is this process correct? Will UK see my PCAT score if I update it before September 3rd?

If you request that PCAT send your scores to PharmCAS (code 104), they will do it automatically when the scores are available. You need to make sure that your PCAT CID is entered in the 'My Account' section, and then you wait for the scores to post. You cannot update your PCAT scores yourself - they come directly from PCAT to PharmCAS.

Thanks Jen!
So when I input her info in the writers section, do I put her specifically as "lecturer" or can I put "professor" ?

( I asked my schools and they were okay with her rec :thumbup: )

You should list her as what her title is. There is a very big difference between a lecturer and a professor.

1. I have a question about academic probation. I was placed on academic probation for one semester after a bad semester consisting of family problems and the like. Do I only have to cite that in the background section, or is there something I have to do for the courses in the semester in which I was on probation in the coursework section?

2. Do I have to add dropped courses to the coursework section? I have two courses that show up on my transcript as drops, but I don't see a special classification in the coursework section that looks like it would correspond to a dropped course.

I look forward to your responses, thanks!

1. You only have to list it in the background section. Make sure to put a clear reason in the description.

2. You .should list it because it is on the transcript, but list NG - no grade..

I've searched the forum, but I found mixed answers... For a course we repeated do we put "Repeated" on BOTH the first AND second attempt or JUST the second attempt?

You should mark all graded attempts as repeated. If you Withdrew and then took the course for a grade, the graded attempt is also a repeat.

You should mark all graded attempts as repeated. If you Withdrew and then took the course for a grade, the graded attempt is also a repeat.

I didn't withdraw from the course and therefore received a grade both the first and second time I took the course. So I should put mark both the first attempt and second attempt as repeated?

One of my writers is a Rector (of a church), what should I put as his "title"?
I can't put Rector b/c it doesn't fit :/

Thank you!

Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong thread. I looked at Massachusetts-Worcester website for the supplemental and this is what is says:
Supplemental Application for Doctor of Pharmacy Program
Supplemental Application is for students who have applied as a transfer/postbaccaleaureate student into our Doctor of Pharmacy program through PharmCAS

Since I'm not a transfer, is this the correct supplemental to fill out? I'm not exactly sure what postbaccaleaureate student means (I'm a 3rd year at UCI, will be getting my Bachelors in 2012).

Thanks guys!

I didn't withdraw from the course and therefore received a grade both the first and second time I took the course. So I should put mark both the first attempt and second attempt as repeated?

Yes.

One of my writers is a Rector (of a church), what should I put as his "title"?
I can't put Rector b/c it doesn't fit :/

Thank you!

I'm the same person who answers Facebook too... ;)

Google...sorry not an expert on religious titles.

I'm the same person who answers Facebook too... ;)

Google...sorry not an expert on religious titles.

lol :oops:

I did google it and it seems like the abbreviation for "rector" is just "R."
I wasn't sure, but I guess I'll just put it like that ><

Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong thread. I looked at Massachusetts-Worcester website for the supplemental and this is what is says:
Supplemental Application for Doctor of Pharmacy Program
Supplemental Application is for students who have applied as a transfer/postbaccaleaureate student into our Doctor of Pharmacy program through PharmCAS

Since I'm not a transfer, is this the correct supplemental to fill out? I'm not exactly sure what postbaccaleaureate student means (I'm a 3rd year at UCI, will be getting my Bachelors in 2012).

Thanks guys!

You are a transfer because you were not a student with direct entry from High School to their program. They have a 0-6 program too. You will be required to fill out their supplemental and you found the right one. :)

Hey I have a couple questions about pharmcas.

1) For EC, I played on a YMCA summer Basketball team from 2002-2010 ( in 2010, I became a assistant coach). Do u think i should put this down or no?

2) This might be a dumb question, but do you have to submit pharmcas 1st before doing any supplementals, or does it depend on the school ur applying to?

thanks!

Hey I have a couple questions about pharmcas.

1) For EC, I played on a YMCA summer Basketball team from 2002-2010 ( in 2010, I became a assistant coach). Do u think i should put this down or no?

2) This might be a dumb question, but do you have to submit pharmcas 1st before doing any supplementals, or does it depend on the school ur applying to?

thanks!

1. I would include being the assistant coach, but maybe not when you were just on the team, but it's up to you. It depends on how important it was to you.

2. Think about this from the school perspective, if you receive a supplemental, but don't have an application to attach it to it can be logistically frustrating. I can guarantee they won't do anything with it until they receive your PharmCAS application. However, there is another side to the story, if you have more time now to fill them out and send them in and you think you won't have time after you submit your PharmCAS application then maybe you should take care of it now. It's usually best to do things early in the application process just in case there is a problem, but you do have a pretty big time window right now since the first deadline isn't until Nov.

Good Luck!

I took Calculus when I first entered college in 1999 at one school. I left school and took Calculus again to refresh my memory for the PCAT (and so it wouldn't be so out of date for Pharm school admissions) at another school like 8 years later. Would those be considered repeats even though they were at different schools?

Under the Course Subject chart, both history and philosophy are listed under non-science instead of social/behavioral science, just thought this is a bit strange?

Last edited:
I'm trying to add coursework information about one of the colleges I attended. I went to a community college for one month last summer. I took two 3-hour credit classes (a history and government class)...

Is the term Summer, Summer1 or Summer 2?

Is the Term Type a unit? I've never heard of a unit before, but I didn't think it made sense to call it semester, trisemester or quarter.

Thanks for your time!

I took a class called Nucleic Acid Chemistry. Should that class be under Biochemistry or Inorganic Chemistry?

Must not have been a very good class if you can't answer that question.

I kid, I kid

Lol. Thanks. That sarcasm pretty much answered the question.

Is anyone else having problems inputting their grades on pharmcas? I keep clicking save and nothing happens.

Under the Course Subject chart, both history and philosophy are listed under non-science instead of social/behavioral science, just thought this is a bit strange?

Seems normal. Neither of them are social or behavioral sciences. They're straight up humanities.

I'm trying to add coursework information about one of the colleges I attended. I went to a community college for one month last summer. I took two 3-hour credit classes (a history and government class)...

Is the term Summer, Summer1 or Summer 2?

Is the Term Type a unit? I've never heard of a unit before, but I didn't think it made sense to call it semester, trisemester or quarter.

Thanks for your time!

Well, some schools have two summer sessions. One starts right after spring and the other mid-summer (usually after the first session). Choose summer if there is only one. Look on the transcript to see if its differentiated.

What is the term type during the year? Probably semester is the answer.

Quick technical question. A friend of mine is filling in their PharmCAS. They just starting to add in some courses today. However, on the "Add Course" screen she can't get the "Grade as it appears on the transcript" box to enter a grade.
The text box is a bit different from most of the other entry methods in the application in that:
- it's locked so you can't just type in the grade
- it's not a drop down like the PharmCAS conversion grade which is right below it.

You're supposed to just click on the text box or the link below it and it pops open another window that contains the Letter Grade drop down or the Numeric Grade selection. When she selects the Letter Grade from the drop down and click "Save", nothing happens. Since she can't enter a grade in that text box it won't let her save the entire "Add Course" form (thus she essentially can't enter any grades at all).
We tested it on two different machines and 5 different browser versions:
IE8, IE9, Latest version of Chrome, Latest version of FireFox, also even tried it in last version of Netscape.

Same result in each. It would not save the selection from that pop-up window. In IE8, it did show a javascript error saying that the selection from the Letter Grade drop down was invalid. The other versions simply didn't do anything when "Save" was clicked.

By the time we had decided to contact PharmCAS about it, their offices had just closed. So I figured I might just ask here just to see if it's working fine today for everyone else. Since I'm seeing people asking questions about coursework I'm assuming that others are currently adding courses using this form.

Is anyone else having any issues today with the "Grade as it appears on the transcript" box on the "Add Course" screen? If it's working fine for you, do you mind letting me know exactly what browser version you're using? Thx in advance.

Quick technical question. A friend of mine is filling in their PharmCAS. They just starting to add in some courses today. However, on the "Add Course" screen she can't get the "Grade as it appears on the transcript" box to enter a grade.
The text box is a bit different from most of the other entry methods in the application in that:
- it's locked so you can't just type in the grade
- it's not a drop down like the PharmCAS conversion grade which is right below it.

You're supposed to just click on the text box or the link below it and it pops open another window that contains the Letter Grade drop down or the Numeric Grade selection. When she selects the Letter Grade from the drop down and click "Save", nothing happens. Since she can't enter a grade in that text box it won't let her save the entire "Add Course" form (thus she essentially can't enter any grades at all).
We tested it on two different machines and 5 different browser versions:
IE8, IE9, Latest version of Chrome, Latest version of FireFox, also even tried it in last version of Netscape.

Same result in each. It would not save the selection from that pop-up window. In IE8, it did show a javascript error saying that the selection from the Letter Grade drop down was invalid. The other versions simply didn't do anything when "Save" was clicked.

By the time we had decided to contact PharmCAS about it, their offices had just closed. So I figured I might just ask here just to see if it's working fine today for everyone else. Since I'm seeing people asking questions about coursework I'm assuming that others are currently adding courses using this form.

Is anyone else having any issues today with the "Grade as it appears on the transcript" box on the "Add Course" screen? If it's working fine for you, do you mind letting me know exactly what browser version you're using? Thx in advance.

Hey netmag, I'm having the same problem. The save button doesn't work but worked fine for me yesterday! I hope it won't take the whole weekend for it to be fixed.

I have a question about when to e-submit. I am taking the PCAT in September but I already have my CID in PharmCas. I gave the transcript forms to my schools last Monday (6/13), and they should've been sent Tuesday (6/14). I have one LOR where the e-mail has been sent to her by PharmCas. I am going to ask two other people for an electronic LOR on Monday (6/20) and they will most likely say yes. Once I put those two references in PharmCas, can I submit then or do I have to wait for something? Everything else is complete. Thanks.

I have a question about when to e-submit. I am taking the PCAT in September but I already have my CID in PharmCas. I gave the transcript forms to my schools last Monday (6/13), and they should've been sent Tuesday (6/14). I have one LOR where the e-mail has been sent to her by PharmCas. I am going to ask two other people for an electronic LOR on Monday (6/20) and they will most likely say yes. Once I put those two references in PharmCas, can I submit then or do I have to wait for something? Everything else is complete. Thanks.

That's it.

I have another question also. The transcript that I sent Monday had my courses for next fall on it. Well, I learned friday that one of the classes had changed. Do I need to resend a new transcript or do they verify future course work or should i change it during the academic update in December? Thanks

Last edited: