Official 2011 Anesthesiology Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I see interviews this year have been kinda rough huh. None since Dec 8? and barely a few since Nov 1....tough times for gas applicants. And this is after hearing from the crowd thats been saying gas got "less competitive" last year. Wow.

It's no more competitive. It's just that there are more idiots who wasted more money this year applying to more programs, taking all the interview slots.

Just look at the above list and look at some of the common names (like one ***** who has interviews at 19 places).

Members don't see this ad.

It's no more competitive. It's just that there are more idiots who wasted more money this year applying to more programs, taking all the interview slots.

Just look at the above list and look at some of the common names (like one ***** who has interviews at 19 places).

:thumbup:

It may be worth noting that we don't have a running list of canceled interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed.

I've met a few idiots with 20+ interviews and they claimed they would go to "all their interviews" .. and "if they couldn't, they weren't going to formally cancel them to screw over others" ... I seriously hope I don't end up working with one of those tools ... since when did anesthesia attract such gunners?

PS: not referring to DO or carib applicants, as we're pretty much forced to apply broadly, but referring to those "superstar MDs" with low self-esteem and high neuroticism, not exactly what our specialty needs.

Last edited:
I seriously hope I don't end up working with one of those tools ... since when did anesthesia attract such gunners?

Ever since some people and programs have been touting how anesthesiology is "the most competitive year ever" every single year. From the programs' perspective, they see more applicants, and their reaction is thinking it's harder for applicants to secure spots. From the applicants' perspective, they hear what programs are saying so they apply to more programs "just to be sure". It's a never-ending downward spiral.

In reality, the number of applicants per spots has not varied to the a degree to justify the vast increase in the number of applications per program. Herd mentality is driving it. It needs to stop.

ok this is going to be harsh...

don't you DARE call us idiots. you have no idea about about background, why we applied to where we did, and what our M.O. is. As bola said, many of us have cancelled interviews; I myself cancelled 10 of mine - thats enough for you to match 2 times over.

And looking at your two-day history of bitter posts, one gets the impression that you are not satisfied with where you are at in the process. Everyone here on this forum worked their butt off to get where we are, and we have no regrets for the decisions we made so far.

The bottom line? Keep your negativity out of this forum. Suck it up. People had better applications and probably worked harder during school to get where they are, so maybe you could have done the same. Sure, there are gunners in every specialty, but no one wants a passive-aggressive PANSY in their residency.

Last edited:

don't you DARE call us idiots. you have no idea about about background, why we applied to where we did, and what our M.O. is. As bola said, many of us have cancelled interviews; I myself cancelled 10 of mine - thats enough for you to match 2 times over.

And looking at your two-day history of bitter posts, one gets the impression that you are not satisfied with where you are at in the process. Everyone here on this forum worked their butt off to get where we are, and we have no regrets for the decisions we made so far.

The bottom line? Keep your negativity out of this forum. Suck it up. People had better applications and probably worked harder during school to get where they are, so maybe you could have done the same. Sure, there are gunners in every specialty, but no one wants a passive-aggressive PANSY in their residency.

I'm sorry, but if someone from the above list is taking interviews at high-end programs like mass gen, hopkins, and mayo but also taking interviews at extremely low-rep/low-quality programs, there is a serious disconnect between reality and the applicant's perception of their chances at matching ANY program.

If you yourself had to cancel 10 interviews, that means you applied to at least 10 more programs than you needed. That shows a serious miscalculation on your part. From your reaction, it's obvious that you are self-conscious about it.

edit: checked the list, noticed you had over 20 invites, one of which was at JHU. Why am I not surprised...

Douche.

I'm sorry, but if someone from the above list is taking interviews at high-end programs like mass gen, hopkins, and mayo but also taking interviews at extremely low-rep/low-quality programs, there is a serious disconnect between reality and the applicant's perception of their chances at matching ANY program.

If you yourself had to cancel 10 interviews, that means you applied to at least 10 more programs than you needed. That shows a serious miscalculation on your part. From your reaction, it's obvious that you are self-conscious about it.

edit: checked the list, noticed you had over 20 invites, one of which was at JHU. Why am I not surprised...

For those that go to U.S. MD schools, we are still advised to keep our interview list well-balanced even if we get some of the high-end interviews because matching at those places are definitely going to be harder than some of the other places. I am sorry that some of you are having a rough time this year but there are better ways to channel your frustrations than to bully others who are doing better than you are.

Good luck to everyone during the rest of the process.

Last edited:
For those that go to U.S. MD schools, we are still advised to keep our interview list well-balanced

And also well-stocked. My school suggests having at least 12 interviews, or they want to know so they can prepare to scramble for you if need be.

The NRMP Charting Outcomes in the Match, 2009 shows US seniors who match will rank on average 12 places, so I can't argue with someone having 20+ interviews.

It is getting late in the process and folks are getting frustrated, but I agree with TKTDart that this doesn't call for bullying or harassing folks about their success.

Few people look good in green, except for the :luck:.

Have the 2010 Charting outcomes come out? I'm curious to see the new stats are for last year (higher board scores, higher needed to match number, etc).....

i got 40 out of 40 interviews just to spite you all. im cancelling 30 of them all at the last second. have fun with that.

And also well-stocked. My school suggests having at least 12 interviews, or they want to know so they can prepare to scramble for you if need be.

The NRMP Charting Outcomes in the Match, 2009 shows US seniors who match will rank on average 12 places, so I can't argue with someone having 20+ interviews.

It is getting late in the process and folks are getting frustrated, but I agree with TKTDart that this doesn't call for bullying or harassing folks about their success.

Few people look good in green, except for the :luck:.

Averages are broken by outliers, like those people who rank 30 programs. No surprise there: they are going to match. People with 20 programs are going to match. People with 10 programs are going to match. People with even as few as 6 ranks have a good probability of matching somewhere. Look at the stats of probability of matching.

With the average being pushed up every year because of more people applying because of the previous year, where does the average number of ranks go? Nowhere but upwards.

Further evidence of not an increase in competitiveness but an increase in applicants who are irrationally applying to more and more programs and actually interviewing at most of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed.

PS: not referring to DO or carib applicants, as we're pretty much forced to apply broadly, but referring to those "superstar MDs" with low self-esteem and high neuroticism, not exactly what our specialty needs.

You could call them "superstar" MDs with low self esteem and high neuroticism.

You could also call them smart people who cover their bases to ensure a good outcome, which sounds like a pretty good quality for an anesthesiologist.

You could also call these supposed DO or Carib applicants who bash others for interviewing broadly, "whiny" applicants who take their jealousy and failures out on others.

I am not even applying this year, but you better believe I am going to take as many interviews as I see fit, be they from MGH or east-bumble U, and not feel the least bit bad about it.

You could call them "superstar" MDs with low self esteem and high neuroticism.

You could also call them smart people who cover their bases to ensure a good outcome, which sounds like a pretty good quality for an anesthesiologist.

You could also call these supposed DO or Carib applicants who bash others for interviewing broadly, "whiny" applicants who take their jealousy and failures out on others.

I am not even applying this year, but you better believe I am going to take as many interviews as I see fit, be they from MGH or east-bumble U, and not feel the least bit bad about it.

So you're going to apply to 130 programs? Honestly that's dumb as hell, it's pretty easy to gauge where your application fits in and apply accordingly. People with good stats applying to a bunch of safties is a huge waste of time and money. Anyone who feels the need to post where and how many interviews they got probably needs the psychological boost of getting a bunch if interviews they don't need

Have the 2010 Charting outcomes come out? I'm curious to see the new stats are for last year (higher board scores, higher needed to match number, etc).....

They publish them every other year so we won't know until the 2011 data.

True, the distribution is likely skewed, but if you look at the 2009 applicant interview data, the median # of interviews attended is 10 for US seniors that match and 6.0 for people that don't. For anesthesiology specifically, that number is 11 vs 4.5

http://www.nrmp.org/data/ApplicantResultsBySpecialty2009.pdf

you all need to take a step back and look at things from the other perspective before complaining anonymously on an internet forum...yes i am an US allopathic student with 240+ board scores who applied to 50 programs despite being told to apply to only 20. You wanna know why? Cause how am I supposed to know which programs I really want to go to are going to grant me interviews. I have ~30 interviews...about 9 are from places I really really want to go to...the other are from "backups"/"safeties"/"whatever term you wanna call it"...im going on about ~15 interviews (probably cancel some more and go on 13) because no one can afford the time and money to go on many more so just chill out.

The majority of us with that many interviews are clearly not going on all of them and fyi I (as well as most other people in my situation) am canceling well in advance. why? I don't want a program to remember me as the douche who never showed up for an interview when I apply for fellowships

...for people without enough interviews..get off the internet and get on the phone.. start hustlin' cause theres definitely interviews available

you all need to take a step back and look at things from the other perspective before complaining anonymously on an internet forum...yes i am an US allopathic student with 240+ board scores who applied to 50 programs despite being told to apply to only 20. You wanna know why? Cause how am I supposed to know which programs I really want to go to are going to grant me interviews. I have ~30 interviews...about 9 are from places I really really want to go to...the other are from "backups"/"safeties"/"whatever term you wanna call it"...im going on about ~15 interviews (probably cancel some more and go on 13) because no one can afford the time and money to go on many more so just chill out.

The majority of us with that many interviews are clearly not going on all of them and fyi I (as well as most other people in my situation) am canceling well in advance. why? I don't want a program to remember me as the douche who never showed up for an interview when I apply for fellowships

...for people without enough interviews..get off the internet and get on the phone.. start hustlin' cause theres definitely interviews available

+1

We should not begrudge the success of others. These candidates got a lot of interview offers because they worked their butts off and were high achievers in med school. Each student controls their destiny when med school starts. I assume you would not berate your classmates who are interviewing for dermatology and tell them that you deserved some of their derm interview slots because they just have too many and we should spread it around a bit, despite a USMLE score of 200 and a class rank in the 3rd quartile. Truthfully, if one of these candidates that have 20 interviews lined up declined their interview offer, the spot would be offered to someone else who probably also has 20 interview offers. Those who only have a couple of interviews would probably not suddenly see a big spike in their interview numbers just because a few more high achievers declined. There might be a small spike in numbers, but I suspect the interview offer would just go to another candidate who already has plenty of interviews.

If a candidate has earned the interview spots and has enough money to blow to go on all of them, I would not begrudge them. I may question their financial wisdom, but they have earned the right to go to as many programs as they wish based on their accomplishments.

you all need to take a step back and look at things from the other perspective before complaining anonymously on an internet forum...yes i am an us allopathic student with 240+ board scores who applied to 50 programs despite being told to apply to only 20. You wanna know why? Cause how am i supposed to know which programs i really want to go to are going to grant me interviews. I have ~30 interviews...about 9 are from places i really really want to go to...the other are from "backups"/"safeties"/"whatever term you wanna call it"...im going on about ~15 interviews (probably cancel some more and go on 13) because no one can afford the time and money to go on many more so just chill out.

The majority of us with that many interviews are clearly not going on all of them and fyi i (as well as most other people in my situation) am canceling well in advance. Why? I don't want a program to remember me as the douche who never showed up for an interview when i apply for fellowships

...for people without enough interviews..get off the internet and get on the phone.. Start hustlin' cause theres definitely interviews available

+2

Next time if you have the urge to spit out your board scores, go tell your mother so she can pat you on the back. Congratulations on your 240+ board scores. Maybe you can tell us again one day.

wow people are mighty bitter. that's never good.

congrats on your board score (no sarcasm). i ddin't do nearly as well on step 1 but i agree with your thought process.

and to everyone saying that it's so easy to tell where you fall as an applicant, i think most of us getting interviews would disagree. because we all have gotten interviews from some places that surprised us and didn't get interviews from places that surprised us. and if we didn't apply broadly we surely would've missed places that we thought were a stretch but who ended up seeing something in our applications and extended invites.

relax everyone it's the holidays...

and on an unrelated note....

can people tell me what time they finished at mt sinai? i need to buy a plane ticket!

she didn't include an estimated end time in the email

thanks!!

and on an unrelated note....

can people tell me what time they finished at mt sinai? i need to buy a plane ticket!

she didn't include an estimated end time in the email

thanks!!

We finished at around 4:30PM. Make sure to show up in scrubs, no suit required. It will save you having to change in the bathroom.

Many of these people with "20+ interviews" are probably couples matching, myself included. The number of people couples matching seems pretty high to me this year, at least 15% in my n=1 experience. I know that there are about 12 couples in my class of 180, which means 20-24/180 people are couples matching. That's a decent amount.
Trust me, I wouldn't be going on 17 interviews if I didn't absolutely have to. People have different reasons for going on so many interviews, just go to your interviews, do your work, and stop bitching.

Many of these people with "20+ interviews" are probably couples matching, myself included. The number of people couples matching seems pretty high to me this year, at least 15% in my n=1 experience. I know that there are about 12 couples in my class of 180, which means 20-24/180 people are couples matching. That's a decent amount.
Trust me, I wouldn't be going on 17 interviews if I didn't absolutely have to. People have different reasons for going on so many interviews, just go to your interviews, do your work, and stop bitching.

The insatiable greed is beyound astonishing. At some point interviewing in >20 places becomes an egregious attempt to saturate the system shut fellow applicants from the opportunity to train in anesthesiology. Are these the crop of people attracted to anesthesiology?

I went on pretty much all my interviews already and have met a lot of cool people :cool:...but from reading all these responses, I'm pretty sure some of the "cool people" I met are actually whiners and trash talkers in this forum. Not cool.

I, too, would love to have a lot of interviews, and it's most likely true what people are saying, that the same 20 or so people are getting all the interviews, but I KNOW programs look for more than those glorious numbers (I don't have glorious numbers) because I was recently rejected from a school that would have loved to take me based on stats...why? Probably because it's a small school and I've always been known to be a city person. The chance I would go there had they interviewed me? 5%. These program directors know how to pick applicants, and most have the brains not to pick purely based on numbers. I know people with 260+ who have been rejected from both good and not so great places.

I don't necessarily agree with the person who has a great profile and still applied to 50 programs (unless you have just reason to- couples match, DO, FIMG), but it's TIRING to go on interviews; if they can go on all their interviews, kudos, because it probably means they are hard working as hell (that being said, why didn't they chose a more hardcore profession like surgery????), but it doesn't justify that they be attacked for their actions.

Those are my two cents. Time to go watch Monday Night Football over beer and friend foods with my friends:) Good luck to everyone.

alabama:
uab: chloroform4life, whatnot11(1), evenkeel (2), doctor4life1769 (1), flyingdutchman, waveequation(6), soonergrl, i wayne(1), shreeni, planarone (1), yamaooka(1), lucilleaustero (1), thesco (1),Arkum41(1)
arizona:
University of Arizona: tridocat (1), chief brody, Dresd(14), Kazuma (1), JSCKVC(1), Arkum41(1)
Mayo AZ: MAC7, chief brody
arkansas:
University of Arkansas: Pandavirus (1), I wayne (1)
california:
uc irvine: lilowangatang, statuspostnsg, sakuraharuno, yobynaes, pickwickian, ridcully (1), gasman0, sunnyINphilly (10), etherdreams, mac7 (2)
usc: sakuraharuno, statuspostnsg, lilowangatang, pickwickian, gasman0, lucilleaustero(1), lolanesthesia (2), yobynaes (3)mac7 (2), TrojanGopher (4), etherdreams
ucla: statuspostnsg, etherdreams, TrojanGopher (4)
harbor: dresd (14), dan325 (21), lolanesthesia (2), sakuraharuno, eosinophilic, etherdreams
ucsf: lucilleaustero (1), ridcully (1), evenkeel (2), flyingdutchman, statuspostnsg (1), bola (17), thesco (1), ambiturner (3), sakuraharuno, MAC7 (2), TrojanGopher (4)
cedars-sinai: etherdreams, chief brody, statuspostnsg
loma linda: Dresd (14), sakuraharuno, etherdreams, Pickwickian, chief brody
uc davis: sakuraharuno, etherdreams
Stanford: thesco (1) bola (17), evenkeel (2), sakuraharuno, WaveEquation (6), kaoticmessiah (1), ridcully (1), Pickwickian, flyingdutchman, yamaooka(1)
UCSD: etherdreams, evenkeel (2), ridcully (1)
colorado:
U of Colorado: evenkeel (2), joechesster, tridocat (1), dan325(21)
connecticut:
uconn: chief brody(1), kazuma(1), spospo, gasman0, sue1027
yale: dresd(14), lolaanesthesia, cnlaphny, spospo, bemd(1), pickwickian, gasman0, lolanesthesia (2), yobynaes (3), yamaooka(1), etherdreams
district of columbia:
george washington: whatnot11(1), evenkeel (2), planarone (1), etherdreams
florida:
u of florida: soonergrl, evenkeel (2), flyingdutchman, johnny3022, jsckvc(1)
u of miami-jmh: flyingdutchman, sockker8, lilowangatang, i wayne(1), tktdart (3), linuxgrl, letoilenoire, iwumd07 (8), blitznfire, eosinophilic, fistibun, gasman0, stuy (3), thesco (1), sue1027
mayo-jacksonville : Planarone (1), sockker8
georgia:
emory: snowbodr, yobynaes, whatnot11(1), arkum41(1), lilowangatang, mac7(2), yamaooka(1), flyingdutchman, evenkeel (2)
medical college of georgia: i wayne(1), snowbodr, arkum41(1), kazuma (1)
illinois:
northwestern university: eikenhein (2), bola (17), thesco (1), yamaooka(1), kaoticmessiah (1), ridcully (1), Pickwickian, etherdreams, chief brody:thumbup:, soccker8, TrojanGopher (4)
loyola: chief brody, RhythmStrip(6), Kazuma (1), iwumd(8), tridocat (1), sockker8
rush: kaoticmessiah (1), lucilleaustero (1), i wayne(1), rabble(1), mac(2), eikenhein(2), bola (17), thesco (1), snowbodr, chief brody, TrojanGopher (4), Pandavirus (1), sockker8
uic: i wayne (1), dan325(21), sockker8, lilowangatang, kaoticmessiah (1), letoilenoire(2), eosinophilic (1), iwumd07(8), sunnyINphilly (10), snowbodr, MAC7, eikenhein (2), tridocat (1), TrojanGopher (4)
U of Chicago: flyingdutchman, ridcully (1), kaoticmessiah (1), thesco (1), letoilenoire(2), ambiturner (3), bola (17),BEMD (1), eikenhein (2), spospo, TrojanGopher (4), MAC7 (2)
indiana:
U of Indiana: dan325(21), I wayne (1)
iowa:
iowa: flyingdutchman, kaoticmessiah (1), iwumd07(8), Arkum41(1), joechesster, I wayne (1), tridocat (1), TrojanGopher (4)
kansas:
university of kansas-kc: Tridocat (1), kazuma(1), kaoticmessiah (1)
university of kansas-wichita: tridocat (1), kazuma(1)
kentucky:
u of kentucky: les grossman, iwumd07(8), eosinophilic, i wayne(1), mightybezoar(7), planarone (1), kazuma(1), arkum41(1), tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1)
u of louisville: mightybezoar(7), sugammadex, eosinophilic, manboy, kazuma(1), tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1)
louisiana:
lsu shreveport: lucilleaustero (1), i wayne (1)
Ochsner Medical Center: I wayne (1), sockker8
tulane: eosinophilic, sockker8, lucilleaustero (1)
maine:
Maine: spospo, Dresd(14), chief brody
maryland:
u of maryland: Chief brody (2), spospo, i wayne(1), sockker8, whatnot11(1), yamaooka(1), bemd(1), lolanesthesia (2), eikenhein(2), sunnyINphilly (10), etherdreams
JHU: sunnyINphilly (10), WaveEquation (6), ambiturner (3), bola (17), Pickwickian, yamaooka(1), thesco (1), BEMD (1), flyingdutchman, ridcully (1)
massachusetts:
baystate: chief brody, JSCKVC(1), Doctor4Life1769 (1)
boston: sunnyINphilly (10), manboy, pandavirus (1), mac7
umass: Kazuma(1), spospo, pandavirus (1),
BIDMC: thesco (1) bola (17), evenkeel (2) , BEMD (1), ambiturner (3), yamaooka(1), kaoticmessiah (1), ridcully (1), warthog1 (28)
brigham & women's: bola (17), evenkeel (2), BEMD(1), warthog1 (1), flyingdutchman
mgh: Waveequation (6), bemd(1), ridcully (1), thesco (1) bola (17)
st. elizabeth's (caritas cristi): eikenhein (2), kaoticmessiah (1)
tufts: etherdreams, chief brody, sue1027, stuy (3)
michigan:
wayne state: i wayne(1), shreeni, mac7, flyingdutchman, letoilenoire, eosinophilic, sunnyINphilly (10) mac7, eikenhein(2), dan325(21), pandavirus (1)
beaumont: letoilenoire, mac 7
henry ford: eikenhein (2), sunnyINphilly (10)
u of michigan: dresd(14), flyingdutchman, pickwickian, mightybezoar(7), evenkeel (2), fistibun, les grossman, letoilenoire, ridcully (1), johnny3022, yamaooka(1), i wayne(1), gasman0, lucilleaustero (1), mac7 (2), thesco (1), ambiturner (3), joechesster, chief brody, tridocat (1), TrojanGopher (4)
minnesota:
mayo-rochester: lolaanesthesia, ccmdoc,geogil, spospo, sockker8, flyingdutchman, dresd(14), fistibun, waveequation(6), mightybezoar(7), les grossman, yamaooka(1), bola, iwumd07(8), lucilleaustero (1), rabble(1), joechesster
u of mn: Dresd(14), kazuma (1), rabble, spospo, RhythmStrip(6), TrojanGopher (4)
mississippi:
university of mississippi: Kazuma(1)
missouri:
slu: geogil, kazuma(1), dr rumble, doctor4life1769 (1), kaoticmessiah (1), tridocat (1). JSCKVC (1)
washington university: kaoticmessiah (1), planarone (1), lilowangatang, rabble, thesco (1), ambiturner (3), joechesster, I wayne (1), iwumd(8), tridocat (1), chief brody
U of M at Columbia: JSCKVC(1)
UMKC/St.Lukes: tridocat(1), JSCKVC(1), chief brody
nebraska:
UNMC: spospo, chief brody, Arkum41(1), tridocat (1)
new hampshire:
dartmouth: Geogil, rabble(1), mac7 (2), etherdreams, Dresd (14), BEMD(1),sunnyINphilly (10)
new jersey:
cooper: stuy (3), Doctor4Life1769 (1)
st. barnabas: tktdart (3), stuy (3), LolaAnesthesia, dan325(21), chief brody, Kazuma (1), sue1027
st. Joseph's regional medical: tktdart (3), gasman0, pandavirus (1), stuy (3), dan325(21), sue1027
umdnj-njms: stuy (3), tktdart (3), LolaAnesthesia, dan325(21), warthog1 (1)
umdnj-rwj: stuy (3), warthog1 (1)
new mexico:
u of new mexico: les grossman, manboy, arkum41(1), pandavirus (1), chief brody
new york:
albany: linuxgrl, Kazuma (1)
albert einstein: i wayne(1), tktdart (3), lolaanesthesia, gasman0, linuxgrl, docstobe, yamaooka(1), johnny3022, kazuma(1), sunninphilly (10), lolanesthesia (2), stuy (3), sunnyINphilly (10), warthog1
brookdale Hospital: sue1027
columbia university: chief brody (2), statuspostnsg, yobynaes, lilowangatang, pickwickian, etherdreams, yamaooka(1), lucilleaustero (1), lolanesthesia (2), lolaanesthesia, ridcully (1), sockker8, mac7 (2), thesco (1), ambiturner (3), warthog1
cornell: ridcully (1), thesco (1), ambiturner (3), MAC7, LolaAnesthesia, yamaooka(1), sunnyinphilly (10), eikenhein (2),warthog1
maimonides: sue1027, stuy (3)
mt.sinai: whatnot11(1), sunnyINphilly (10), thesco (1), bola (17), sockker8, LolaAnesthesia, yamaooka(1)
new york university: lilowangatang, lolaanesthesia, yobynaes, mac7, whatnot11(1), sockker8, blitznfire, i wayne(1), statuspostnsg, gasman0, letoilenoire, docstobe, cnlaphny, chief brody(2), yamaooka(1), ridcully (1), johnny3022, sunnyinphilly (10), lolanesthesia (2), etherdreams, eikenhein(2)
nymc: lolaanesthesia, chief brody, pandavirus (1), spospo, gumbajani (7), sue1027
u of rochester: bemd (1), shreeni, i wayne(1), spospo, trajan, linuxgrl, gasman0, chief brody(23), warthog1
st. luke's: sockker8, stuy (3), I wayne (1), LolaAnesthesia, etherdreams, linuxgrl, Kazuma (1), sue1027
stony brook: linuxgrl, gasman0, bemd(1), lolaanesthesia, dresd(14), sugammadex, docstobe, yamaooka(1), mac7
suny-buffalo: kazuma(1), linuxgrl, bemd(1)
suny-downstate: gasman0, linuxgrl, tktdart (3), i wayne(1), sockker8, sugammadex, chief brody(13), docstobe, johnny3022, fistibun, pandavirus (1), stuy (3), gumbajani (7)
suny-upstate: spospo, bemd(1), linuxgrl, kazuma(1), gumbajani (7)
north carolina:
unc: chloroform4life, soonergrl, waveequation(6), letoilenoire, kaoticmessiah (1), lucilleaustero (1), Arkum41(1)
duke:letoilenoire(2), thesco (1), evenkeel (2), WaveEquation (6), BEMD (1) , joechesster, kaoticmessiah (1), whatnot11:horns:(1), etherdreams, bola (17), flyingdutchman, eikenhein(2)
Wake Forest: kaoticmessiah (1)
ohio:
ohio state university: manboy, kazuma (1), letoilenoire(2), I wayne (1), sunnyINphilly (10), BEMD (1), snowbodr, MAC7, tridocat (1)
case western (metrohealth): i wayne (1), linuxgrl (1), pandavirus (1),bemd(1), kazuma (1), snowbodr
u of toledo: dresd(14), letoilenoire, linuxgrl, shreeni, manboy, kazuma(1), pandavirus (1), mac7
case western: yobynaes, i wayne(1), dan325(21), manboy, eosinophilic, letoilenoire, linuxgrl, snowbodr, tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1), snowbodr, etherdreams, sunnyINphilly (10), gumbajani (7)
cleveland clinic: i wayne(1), planarone (1), dresd(14), yobynaes, lucilleaustero (1), doctor4life1769 (1), pandavirus (1), kazuma (1), rabble, thesco (1), bola (17), snowbodr, MAC7, joechesster, gumbajani (7), eikenhein(2)
oklahoma:
u of oklahoma: dr rumble, manboy, arkum41(1), tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1), i wayne (1), kazuma (1), joechesster
oregon:
ohsu: Sakuraharuno, chief brody(1), ridcully (1), arkum41(1), bola (17), joechesster, spospo, eikenhein(2)
pennsylvania:
allegheny: i wayne (1), Chief Brody, linuxgrl (1), sunnyINphilly (10) RhythmStrip(6), gumbajani (7),
drexel: tktdart (3), docstobe, johnny3022, sunnyINphilly (10) , etherdreams, lolanesthesia (2), lolaanesthesia, stuy (3), sue1027
jefferson: johnny3022, tktdart (3), lolanesthesia (2), stuy (3)
penn state: hippuppy, chloroform4life, bemd(1), jsckvc(1), mightybezoar(7), flyingdutchman, lucilleaustero (1), pandavirus (1) I wayne (1), linuxgrl, spospo, sunnyINphilly (10), joechesster
temple: tktdart (3), stuy (3), jsckvc(1), sue1027
university of pennsylvania: stuy (3), yamaooka(1), ridcully (1), thesco (1), bola (17), BEMD (1), etherdreams, chief brody, evenkeel, kaoticmessiah (1),warthog1 (1), ambiturner (3), eikenhein(2)
u of pittsburgh: chloroform4life, kaoticmessiah (1), sockker8, whatnot11:horns:(1), mightybezoar(7), bemd(1), sunnyINphilly (10), eikenhein(2), thesco (1)
south carolina:
musc: planarone (1), i wayne(1), flyingdutchman, arkum41(1)
tennessee:
vanderbilt: waveequation(6), yamaooka(1), kaoticmessiah, iwumd07(8), evenkeel (2), planarone (1), gasman0, bola (17), thesco (1), etherdreams
u of tennessee: manboy, tridocat (1), planarone (1)
texas:
baylor: whatnot11(1), manboy, flyingdutchman, pickwickian, lilowangatang, yobynaes (3), evenkeel (2), joechesster, dan325(21). sunnyINphilly (10)
texas a&m: soupcan, les grossman, arkum41(1), snowbodr
texas tech: manboy, kazuma (1), Arkum41(1), JSCKVC(1), Pandavirus (1), Doctor4Life1769 (1)
ut houston: i wayne(1), lilowangatang, evenkeel (2), yamaooka(1), iwumd07(8), pandavirus (1), dan325(21), etherdreams, whatnot11(1), joechesster, tridocat (1)
ut san antonio: lilowangatang, planarone (1), kaoticmessiah (1), yamaooka(1), evenkeel (2), tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1), etherdreams, joechesster
utmb: lucilleaustero (1), i wayne (1), manboy, lilowangatang, Arkum41(1)
ut southwestern: lilowangatang, Pickwickian, kaoticmessiah (1), evenkeel (2), yamaooka(1), flyingdutchman, I wayne (1), tridocat (1), etherdreams
utah:
utah: joechesster, Pickwickian, flyingdutchman
vermont:
uvm: chief brody (1), JSCKVC(1), RhythmStrip(6)
virginia:
uva: flyingdutchman, mightybezoar(7), whatnot11(1), iwumd07(8), yamaooka(1), evenkeel (2), bemd(1), lucilleaustero (1), chief brody, sunnyINnphilly (10)
vcu: whatnot11(1), sunnyINphilly (10), Kazuma (1)
washington:
u of washington: yamaooka(1), ridcully (1), fistibun, dresd(14), pickwickian, waveequation (6), Arkum41(1), evenkeel (2), thesco (1), RhythmStrip(6), JSCKVC(1), etherdreams, TrojanGopher (4), sunnyINphilly(10)
Virginia Mason: kaoticmessiah (1), ridcully (1)
west virginia:
wvu: sugammadex, jsckvc(1), Kazuma (1), Arkum41(1)
wisconsin:
mcw: flyingdutchman, randydandy, shreeni, iwumd07(8), mightybezoar(7), dresd(28), pandavirus (1), joechesster, sunnyINnphilly (10)
U of Wisc: Dresd (14), flyingdutchman, joechesster, RhythmStrip, TrojanGopher (4)

alabama:
uab: chloroform4life, whatnot11(1), evenkeel (2), doctor4life1769 (1), flyingdutchman, waveequation(6), soonergrl, i wayne(1), shreeni, planarone (1), yamaooka(1), lucilleaustero (1), thesco (1),Arkum41(1)
arizona:
University of Arizona: tridocat (1), chief brody, Dresd(14), Kazuma (1), JSCKVC(1), Arkum41(1)
Mayo AZ: MAC7, chief brody
arkansas:
University of Arkansas: Pandavirus (1), I wayne (1)
california:
uc irvine: lilowangatang, statuspostnsg, sakuraharuno, yobynaes, pickwickian, ridcully (1), gasman0, sunnyINphilly (10), etherdreams, mac7 (2)
usc: sakuraharuno, statuspostnsg, lilowangatang, pickwickian, gasman0, lucilleaustero(1), lolanesthesia (2), yobynaes (3)mac7 (2), TrojanGopher (4), etherdreams
ucla: statuspostnsg, etherdreams, TrojanGopher (4)
harbor: dresd (14), dan325 (21), lolanesthesia (2), sakuraharuno, eosinophilic, etherdreams
ucsf: lucilleaustero (1), ridcully (1), evenkeel (2), flyingdutchman, statuspostnsg (1), bola (17), thesco (1), ambiturner (3), sakuraharuno, MAC7 (2), TrojanGopher (4)
cedars-sinai: etherdreams, chief brody, statuspostnsg
loma linda: Dresd (14), sakuraharuno, etherdreams, Pickwickian, chief brody
uc davis: sakuraharuno, etherdreams
Stanford: thesco (1) bola (17), evenkeel (2), sakuraharuno, WaveEquation (6), kaoticmessiah (1), ridcully (1), Pickwickian, flyingdutchman, yamaooka(1)
UCSD: etherdreams, evenkeel (2), ridcully (1)
colorado:
U of Colorado: evenkeel (2), joechesster, tridocat (1), dan325(21)
connecticut:
uconn: chief brody(1), kazuma(1), spospo, gasman0, sue1027
yale: dresd(14), lolaanesthesia, cnlaphny, spospo, bemd(1), pickwickian, gasman0, lolanesthesia (2), yobynaes (3), yamaooka(1), etherdreams
district of columbia:
george washington: whatnot11(1), evenkeel (2), planarone (1), etherdreams
florida:
u of florida: soonergrl, evenkeel (2), flyingdutchman, johnny3022, jsckvc(1)
u of miami-jmh: flyingdutchman, sockker8, lilowangatang, i wayne(1), tktdart (3), linuxgrl, letoilenoire, iwumd07 (8), blitznfire, eosinophilic, fistibun, gasman0, stuy (3), thesco (1), sue1027
mayo-jacksonville : Planarone (1), sockker8
georgia:
emory: snowbodr, yobynaes, whatnot11(1), arkum41(1), lilowangatang, mac7(2), yamaooka(1), flyingdutchman, evenkeel (2)
medical college of georgia: i wayne(1), snowbodr, arkum41(1), kazuma (1)
illinois:
northwestern university: eikenhein (2), bola (17), thesco (1), yamaooka(1), kaoticmessiah (1), ridcully (1), Pickwickian, etherdreams, chief brody:thumbup:, soccker8, TrojanGopher (4)
loyola: chief brody, RhythmStrip(6), Kazuma (1), iwumd(8), tridocat (1), sockker8
rush: kaoticmessiah (1), lucilleaustero (1), i wayne(1), rabble(1), mac(2), eikenhein(2), bola (17), thesco (1), snowbodr, chief brody, TrojanGopher (4), Pandavirus (1), sockker8
uic: i wayne (1), dan325(21), sockker8, lilowangatang, kaoticmessiah (1), letoilenoire(2), eosinophilic (1), iwumd07(8), sunnyINphilly (10), snowbodr, MAC7, eikenhein (2), tridocat (1), TrojanGopher (4)
U of Chicago: flyingdutchman, ridcully (1), kaoticmessiah (1), thesco (1), letoilenoire(2), ambiturner (3), bola (17),BEMD (1), eikenhein (2), spospo, TrojanGopher (4), MAC7 (2)
indiana:
U of Indiana: dan325(21), I wayne (1)
iowa:
iowa: flyingdutchman, kaoticmessiah (1), iwumd07(8), Arkum41(1), joechesster, I wayne (1), tridocat (1), TrojanGopher (4)
kansas:
university of kansas-kc: Tridocat (1), kazuma(1), kaoticmessiah (1)
university of kansas-wichita: tridocat (1), kazuma(1)
kentucky:
u of kentucky: les grossman, iwumd07(8), eosinophilic, i wayne(1), mightybezoar(7), planarone (1), kazuma(1), arkum41(1), tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1)
u of louisville: mightybezoar(7), sugammadex, eosinophilic, manboy, kazuma(1), tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1)
louisiana:
lsu shreveport: lucilleaustero (1), i wayne (1)
Ochsner Medical Center: I wayne (1), sockker8
tulane: eosinophilic, sockker8, lucilleaustero (1)
maine:
Maine: spospo, Dresd(14), chief brody
maryland:
u of maryland: Chief brody (2), spospo, i wayne(1), sockker8, whatnot11(1), yamaooka(1), bemd(1), lolanesthesia (2), eikenhein(2), sunnyINphilly (10), etherdreams
JHU: sunnyINphilly (10), WaveEquation (6), ambiturner (3), bola (17), Pickwickian, yamaooka(1), thesco (1), BEMD (1), flyingdutchman, ridcully (1)
massachusetts:
baystate: chief brody, JSCKVC(1), Doctor4Life1769 (1)
boston: sunnyINphilly (10), manboy, pandavirus (1), mac7
umass: Kazuma(1), spospo, pandavirus (1),
BIDMC: thesco (1) bola (17), evenkeel (2) , BEMD (1), ambiturner (3), yamaooka(1), kaoticmessiah (1), ridcully (1), warthog1 (28)
brigham & women's: bola (17), evenkeel (2), BEMD(1), warthog1 (1), flyingdutchman
mgh: Waveequation (6), bemd(1), ridcully (1), thesco (1) bola (17)
st. elizabeth's (caritas cristi): eikenhein (2), kaoticmessiah (1)
tufts: etherdreams, chief brody, sue1027, stuy (3)
michigan:
wayne state: i wayne(1), shreeni, mac7, flyingdutchman, letoilenoire, eosinophilic, sunnyINphilly (10) mac7, eikenhein(2), dan325(21), pandavirus (1)
beaumont: letoilenoire, mac 7
henry ford: eikenhein (2), sunnyINphilly (10)
u of michigan: dresd(14), flyingdutchman, pickwickian, mightybezoar(7), evenkeel (2), fistibun, les grossman, letoilenoire, ridcully (1), johnny3022, yamaooka(1), i wayne(1), gasman0, lucilleaustero (1), mac7 (2), thesco (1), ambiturner (3), joechesster, chief brody, tridocat (1), TrojanGopher (4)
minnesota:
mayo-rochester: lolaanesthesia, ccmdoc,geogil, spospo, sockker8, flyingdutchman, dresd(14), fistibun, waveequation(6), mightybezoar(7), les grossman, yamaooka(1), bola, iwumd07(8), lucilleaustero (1), rabble(1), joechesster
u of mn: Dresd(14), kazuma (1), rabble, spospo, RhythmStrip(6), TrojanGopher (4)
mississippi:
university of mississippi: Kazuma(1)
missouri:
slu: geogil, kazuma(1), dr rumble, doctor4life1769 (1), kaoticmessiah (1), tridocat (1). JSCKVC (1)
washington university: kaoticmessiah (1), planarone (1), lilowangatang, rabble, thesco (1), ambiturner (3), joechesster, I wayne (1), iwumd(8), tridocat (1), chief brody
U of M at Columbia: JSCKVC(1)
UMKC/St.Lukes: tridocat(1), JSCKVC(1), chief brody
nebraska:
UNMC: spospo, chief brody, Arkum41(1), tridocat (1)
new hampshire:
dartmouth: Geogil, rabble(1), mac7 (2), etherdreams, Dresd (14), BEMD(1),sunnyINphilly (10)
new jersey:
cooper: stuy (3), Doctor4Life1769 (1)
st. barnabas: tktdart (3), stuy (3), LolaAnesthesia, dan325(21), chief brody, Kazuma (1), sue1027
st. Joseph's regional medical: tktdart (3), gasman0, pandavirus (1), stuy (3), dan325(21), sue1027
umdnj-njms: stuy (3), tktdart (3), LolaAnesthesia, dan325(21), warthog1 (1)
umdnj-rwj: stuy (3), warthog1 (1)
new mexico:
u of new mexico: les grossman, manboy, arkum41(1), pandavirus (1), chief brody
new york:
albany: linuxgrl, Kazuma (1)
albert einstein: i wayne(1), tktdart (3), lolaanesthesia, gasman0, linuxgrl, docstobe, yamaooka(1), johnny3022, kazuma(1), sunninphilly (10), lolanesthesia (2), stuy (3), sunnyINphilly (10), warthog1
brookdale Hospital: sue1027
columbia university: chief brody (2), statuspostnsg, yobynaes, lilowangatang, pickwickian, etherdreams, yamaooka(1), lucilleaustero (1), lolanesthesia (2), lolaanesthesia, ridcully (1), sockker8, mac7 (2), thesco (1), ambiturner (3), warthog1
cornell: ridcully (1), thesco (1), ambiturner (3), MAC7, LolaAnesthesia, yamaooka(1), sunnyinphilly (10), eikenhein (2),warthog1
maimonides: sue1027, stuy (3), TKTdart (3)
mt.sinai: whatnot11(1), sunnyINphilly (10), thesco (1), bola (17), sockker8, LolaAnesthesia, yamaooka(1)
new york university: lilowangatang, lolaanesthesia, yobynaes, mac7, whatnot11(1), sockker8, blitznfire, i wayne(1), statuspostnsg, gasman0, letoilenoire, docstobe, cnlaphny, chief brody(2), yamaooka(1), ridcully (1), johnny3022, sunnyinphilly (10), lolanesthesia (2), etherdreams, eikenhein(2)
nymc: lolaanesthesia, chief brody, pandavirus (1), spospo, gumbajani (7), sue1027
u of rochester: bemd (1), shreeni, i wayne(1), spospo, trajan, linuxgrl, gasman0, chief brody(23), warthog1
st. luke's: sockker8, stuy (3), I wayne (1), LolaAnesthesia, etherdreams, linuxgrl, Kazuma (1), sue1027
stony brook: linuxgrl, gasman0, bemd(1), lolaanesthesia, dresd(14), sugammadex, docstobe, yamaooka(1), mac7
suny-buffalo: kazuma(1), linuxgrl, bemd(1)
suny-downstate: gasman0, linuxgrl, tktdart (3), i wayne(1), sockker8, sugammadex, chief brody(13), docstobe, johnny3022, fistibun, pandavirus (1), stuy (3), gumbajani (7)
suny-upstate: spospo, bemd(1), linuxgrl, kazuma(1), gumbajani (7)
north carolina:
unc: chloroform4life, soonergrl, waveequation(6), letoilenoire, kaoticmessiah (1), lucilleaustero (1), Arkum41(1)
duke:letoilenoire(2), thesco (1), evenkeel (2), WaveEquation (6), BEMD (1) , joechesster, kaoticmessiah (1), whatnot11:horns:(1), etherdreams, bola (17), flyingdutchman, eikenhein(2)
Wake Forest: kaoticmessiah (1)
ohio:
ohio state university: manboy, kazuma (1), letoilenoire(2), I wayne (1), sunnyINphilly (10), BEMD (1), snowbodr, MAC7, tridocat (1)
case western (metrohealth): i wayne (1), linuxgrl (1), pandavirus (1),bemd(1), kazuma (1), snowbodr
u of toledo: dresd(14), letoilenoire, linuxgrl, shreeni, manboy, kazuma(1), pandavirus (1), mac7
case western: yobynaes, i wayne(1), dan325(21), manboy, eosinophilic, letoilenoire, linuxgrl, snowbodr, tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1), snowbodr, etherdreams, sunnyINphilly (10), gumbajani (7)
cleveland clinic: i wayne(1), planarone (1), dresd(14), yobynaes, lucilleaustero (1), doctor4life1769 (1), pandavirus (1), kazuma (1), rabble, thesco (1), bola (17), snowbodr, MAC7, joechesster, gumbajani (7), eikenhein(2)
oklahoma:
u of oklahoma: dr rumble, manboy, arkum41(1), tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1), i wayne (1), kazuma (1), joechesster
oregon:
ohsu: Sakuraharuno, chief brody(1), ridcully (1), arkum41(1), bola (17), joechesster, spospo, eikenhein(2)
pennsylvania:
allegheny: i wayne (1), Chief Brody, linuxgrl (1), sunnyINphilly (10) RhythmStrip(6), gumbajani (7),
drexel: tktdart (3), docstobe, johnny3022, sunnyINphilly (10) , etherdreams, lolanesthesia (2), lolaanesthesia, stuy (3), sue1027
jefferson: johnny3022, tktdart (3), lolanesthesia (2), stuy (3)
penn state: hippuppy, chloroform4life, bemd(1), jsckvc(1), mightybezoar(7), flyingdutchman, lucilleaustero (1), pandavirus (1) I wayne (1), linuxgrl, spospo, sunnyINphilly (10), joechesster
temple: tktdart (3), stuy (3), jsckvc(1), sue1027
university of pennsylvania: stuy (3), yamaooka(1), ridcully (1), thesco (1), bola (17), BEMD (1), etherdreams, chief brody, evenkeel, kaoticmessiah (1),warthog1 (1), ambiturner (3), eikenhein(2)
u of pittsburgh: chloroform4life, kaoticmessiah (1), sockker8, whatnot11:horns:(1), mightybezoar(7), bemd(1), sunnyINphilly (10), eikenhein(2), thesco (1)
south carolina:
musc: planarone (1), i wayne(1), flyingdutchman, arkum41(1)
tennessee:
vanderbilt: waveequation(6), yamaooka(1), kaoticmessiah, iwumd07(8), evenkeel (2), planarone (1), gasman0, bola (17), thesco (1), etherdreams
u of tennessee: manboy, tridocat (1), planarone (1)
texas:
baylor: whatnot11(1), manboy, flyingdutchman, pickwickian, lilowangatang, yobynaes (3), evenkeel (2), joechesster, dan325(21). sunnyINphilly (10)
texas a&m: soupcan, les grossman, arkum41(1), snowbodr
texas tech: manboy, kazuma (1), Arkum41(1), JSCKVC(1), Pandavirus (1), Doctor4Life1769 (1)
ut houston: i wayne(1), lilowangatang, evenkeel (2), yamaooka(1), iwumd07(8), pandavirus (1), dan325(21), etherdreams, whatnot11(1), joechesster, tridocat (1)
ut san antonio: lilowangatang, planarone (1), kaoticmessiah (1), yamaooka(1), evenkeel (2), tridocat (1), lucilleaustero (1), etherdreams, joechesster
utmb: lucilleaustero (1), i wayne (1), manboy, lilowangatang, Arkum41(1)
ut southwestern: lilowangatang, Pickwickian, kaoticmessiah (1), evenkeel (2), yamaooka(1), flyingdutchman, I wayne (1), tridocat (1), etherdreams
utah:
utah: joechesster, Pickwickian, flyingdutchman
vermont:
uvm: chief brody (1), JSCKVC(1), RhythmStrip(6)
virginia:
uva: flyingdutchman, mightybezoar(7), whatnot11(1), iwumd07(8), yamaooka(1), evenkeel (2), bemd(1), lucilleaustero (1), chief brody, sunnyINnphilly (10)
vcu: whatnot11(1), sunnyINphilly (10), Kazuma (1)
washington:
u of washington: yamaooka(1), ridcully (1), fistibun, dresd(14), pickwickian, waveequation (6), Arkum41(1), evenkeel (2), thesco (1), RhythmStrip(6), JSCKVC(1), etherdreams, TrojanGopher (4), sunnyINphilly(10)
Virginia Mason: kaoticmessiah (1), ridcully (1)
west virginia:
wvu: sugammadex, jsckvc(1), Kazuma (1), Arkum41(1)
wisconsin:
mcw: flyingdutchman, randydandy, shreeni, iwumd07(8), mightybezoar(7), dresd(28), pandavirus (1), joechesster, sunnyINnphilly (10)
U of Wisc: Dresd (14), flyingdutchman, joechesster, RhythmStrip, TrojanGopher (4)

Verify that advice with the program. Don't be the only one showing up in scrubs, even if you do have to change.

They offer the option to come in scrubs. I was the only one that came in a suit and no one even saw me in it since the program coordinator asks you to change into scrubs before the official day activities begin. I am not trying to screw with anyone here, if that is what you think, Gern.

They offer the option to come in scrubs. I was the only one that came in a suit and no one even saw me in it since the program coordinator asks you to change into scrubs before the official day activities begin. I am not trying to screw with anyone here, if that is what you think, Gern.

Not accusing you of anything. Just had not heard that before. It would take guts and reassurance from the program coordinator that I would not be the only one.

The insatiable greed is beyound astonishing. At some point interviewing in >20 places becomes an egregious attempt to saturate the system shut fellow applicants from the opportunity to train in anesthesiology. Are these the crop of people attracted to anesthesiology?

Sweet. 1 post on SDN and it's this holier-than-thou crap. What if the person is truly undecided on location? program type? couples matching?

In your exalted opinion, how many interviews do we have your permission to go on?

Sweet. 1 post on SDN and it's this holier-than-thou crap. What if the person is truly undecided on location? program type? couples matching?

In your exalted opinion, how many interviews do we have your permission to go on?

If I had to guess, I would say you voted for Obama. :rolleyes:

If I had to guess, I would say you voted for Obama. :rolleyes:

I would guess the opposite. Obama would wish for us to spread the interviews around so that all had equal access to them without regard to the quality of the candidate.

I understand what you were asking, I just have no idea what the relevance to going on many interviews is. Explain that please.

On the interview trail, I found a correlation, although a weak one, for people who voted for Obama in 2008 who also have a liberal attitude about how many interviews they think they deserve to take from everyone else.

On the interview trail, I found a correlation, although a weak one, for people who voted for Obama in 2008 who also have a liberal attitude about how many interviews they think they deserve to take from everyone else.

If a person "earns the right to interview" for a residency program, they have not "taken" it from anyone. As I said before, the Obama share the wealth plan would fit better with mandating limits on interviews in order to share the wealth. Not sure how rigorous your scientific methods for your research were, but your theory doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
If a person is upset that they did not get an interview offer, they should contact the program and sell them on why they should get an interview. If they are a quality candidate, they may have some luck with this. If they are not, the target of their frustration should be themselves for not getting it done on whatever part of the application is lacking quality.

Last edited:
If a person "earns the right to interview" for a residency program, they have not "taken" it from anyone. As I said before, the Obama share the wealth plan woul fit better with mandating limits on interviews in order to share the wealth. Not sure how rigorous your scientific methods for your research were, but your theory doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Taking, as defined earlier in this thread, as applying to 50+ programs despite 240+ Step 1, top 15% of class, and getting interviews at 40 places including numerous high-roller programs (10+ interviews) but many mid and low tier "backups" (such as having interviews at 15-plus "backups"), and scheduling all of them, and then canceling at the last minute to deprive fellow applicants from an interview opportunity or actually attending the interviews for a free hotel stay and free dinner.

Yes, I have met many people who fit those criteria. And yes, it looks like there's no shortage on SDN.

If a person is upset that they did not get an interview offer, they should contact the program and sell them on why they should get an interview. If they are a quality candidate, they may have some luck with this. If they are not, the target of their frustration should be themselves for not getting it done on whatever part of the application is lacking quality.

The number of applications every year is increasing, but the number of applicants is not increasing proportionately.

Programs are having a very difficult time choosing which applicants to grant interviews to and which to not offer. Those with marginally superior stats will get significantly higher percentage of interview offer success while those with marginally inferior but still very high quality stats will get significantly lower percentage of interview offer success. Is there such a big difference between someone with a 232 and someone with a 228? No, but programs need to make difficult decisions, and some get left out.

If applicants were more judicious with the programs they would apply to, there would be more happy people out there.

Why is everyone fighting here about interviews. Honestly, interview season is pretty much wrapped up. Whatever number of interviews you have now will probably be it. Anesthesia is not super-competitive nor is there really much difference where you go, and if you interviewed at even 6 places your probably money to match somewhere and go on to be a good anesthesiologist.

If you feel bad about guys that have great stats who went on too many interviews specially low tier safety places you shouldn't because they won't end up at these low tier places and it was stupid for these low tier places to interview them in the first place. Those places will have spots left open after the match and you guys can pick em up then if you actually don't match.

If after 20 interviews you still can't figure where or what you like, 50 or 100 more interviews will not make a difference. Is it possible no anesthesia program is 100% perfect for you, your partner, your 5 dogs, 10 cats, in-laws and everything else that counts?

As you take your well earned time to shop around for the perfect program, many many others are stuck in waiting lists hoping they would not have to resort to the barbarity of the scramble process to become an anesthesiologist. Reading posts that describe the scramble in simplistic terms is unfortunate.

This application process is meant to give the most qualified (such as you) access to your top choices, while presumably less attractive candidates get to go for the crumbs or whatever is left. There's enough to go around.

Interviewing in >20 for anesthesia (plus prelims) is both greedy and unconscionable as your colleagues remain on waitlists just hoping for any opportunity to match in this specialty. It's a gross perversion of the process.

Good residents make good programs (sometimes) and it's not ALWAYS about what programs have to offer you, it's what do you bring to the table in addition to your academic skills? empathy? team player? Good residents know they can make the best out of any program they end up in.

I wish you good luck in your pursuit of the perfect program. Happy new year!