Official 2012-2013 GI fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any idea on when invites will be sent out?

I imagine the earliest would be the first week of August. But then, I feel like many programs will wait until their mid-August application deadlines before reviewing all the applications to determine invites. Some of my colleagues have already received interviews in ID and nephrology as early as July 16!

Members don't see this ad.

I have received 2 interviews. One from the Northeast region and one from the Mid-Atlantic region. Neither are in the upper echelon of places (e.g., Harvards, Penn, Hopkins, Duke, etc.)

Hey guys,

I finished my application, submitted everything and applied before July 15th. I checked all the programs and most of them have downloaded the applications, so eagerly waiting as well for the interviews/rejections!!

I also submitted a poster to ACG, was not accepted though :( but I still put it in the abstracts section, since anyways it will published. So I think you could just say in the interview that you got it accepted!!!

I heard that some programs are already sending interviews in endocrinology and nephrology, but I think GI and cardio are always the last!!!

Keep us posted and good luck everyone!

If your abstract is not accepted it won't be published in the supplemental, just FYI

Members don't see this ad :)
wow..really?
The silence is really nerve wracking! thanks for the updates on the posters everyone ; yes, I assume they are only published if accepted.

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up, interviews are starting to come in. Got one today from Dallas Methodist hospital. Good luck to everyone

what other programs have offered interviews?

Thanks for the updates. Glad to know interview invites are coming out. It's been so nerve-wracking to keep checking my email!

Also, to me, if a paper is already accepted, then that means you can list it under your publications. At that point, it is in press.

Heard Mayo is sending out invites!! Lets hope for the best.

If it is Mayo Rochester, makes me feel good about the big name programs starting to send out invites!

Congrats to those that have heard some good news. Just curious, it seems like some programs have not started to download applications yet. Do some programs wait until their deadline and then start download applications? I have heard (some of the info coming from these sites) that some programs don't take external applicants and hence would not necessarily review applications from applicants not within their own IM program (which would be really annoying since we all still pay for our applications to be sent to these programs).

Anyways, let the neurosis start!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if that is the reason or not IMDoc. What I can say is that my home school has not yet downloaded my application, so it may not be particular to external applicants. Good luck.

This time ERAS lets you enter manuscripts that are merely submitted, not necessarily in press or accepted.

Can we start a running list similar to the one they had last year? This makes it easier to keep track of who has offered.

Congratulations on the invites!

I'm assuming you mean you got 2 invites Mayo Clinic (in Rochester) and Missouri (in Columbia).

NOT Mayo Clinic, University of Rochester, U Missouri, and Columbia in NY?

FWIW, heard from a very reliable source that UPenn has only one clinical track position available and it is going to an internal candidate.

wondering if there are any DO applicants applying to ACGME GI fellowship, thanks!

Thanks!
Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those who have gotten interview!

do you guys know of the programs that encompass advanced endoscopy training into the three year fellowship? for some places it seems hard to figure out.

Mayo Clinic Rochester is the only place I've heard from. Sounds like the only three programs out there that have started offering are:

U of Missouri (Columbia)
Mayo Rochester
UW Seattle

Anyone heard from anyone else?

do you guys know of the programs that encompass advanced endoscopy training into the three year fellowship? for some places it seems hard to figure out.

Basically community programs, and academic programs that have advanced endoscopy attendings but no advanced fellowship. As of several years ago, Yale and Baylor were amongst the few academic programs that offered "some" advanced training within the 3 years (though you likely still will not have done enough cases to vie for academic positions in advanced endoscopy).

i have not heard from anywhere.... next week better bring some news!!

I agree, so far, so boring. Just for conversation-starting purposes, what do you guys hear is the current average salary? I hear so much variation, but I imagine it's in the 300K range?

Mayo Clinic Rochester is the only place I've heard from. Sounds like the only three programs out there that have started offering are:

U of Missouri (Columbia)
Mayo Rochester
UW Seattle

Anyone heard from anyone else?

VCU, Dartmouth, Vermont... I applied to way too many places.

Sounds like so far people have heard from:

Mayo Rochester
UW Seattle
U of Missouri (Columbia)
Vermont
Dartmouth
VCU

Keep adding to the list as they come in!

for those of us who are waiting, lets hope for a better week! cheers..

Just submitted my GI application last week. So nervous, just like everyone else! No invites yet either :(

I scored a 190 on my step 1, but did >200 on steps 2 and 3.

Any two cents on how important the step 1 score is? That seems to be my only kryptonite. Would be appreciative if someone could input, as I would add more programs to apply to if the score is important...

Depends on what other credentials you have.. Amg.. Big uni program ..PD calling for interviews.If that's the case u are or else it's better to apply more

wondering if there are any DO applicants applying to ACGME GI fellowship, thanks!

i'm a DO applicant, from michigan. mostly applying to michigan, illinois, and ohio programs.

Just submitted my GI application last week. So nervous, just like everyone else! No invites yet either :(

I scored a 190 on my step 1, but did >200 on steps 2 and 3.

Any two cents on how important the step 1 score is? That seems to be my only kryptonite. Would be appreciative if someone could input, as I would add more programs to apply to if the score is important...

Depends on your credential -if u are Amg, from big uni program and PD is going to call for you, look safe but if not then applying more will make u safe

Do we need to choose California letter in LOR section to apply California programs???