Official 2012-2013 GI fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No new interviews here...getting worried haha

Members don't see this ad.

MGH has sent out invites today

Members don't see this ad :)
Univ of Texas (Galveston) finally downloaded applications today. Its difficult to tell where many of the other program are in their review process. Should hopefully hear more in the coming few days...

Hey guys congrats to everyone getting interviews. Those of you who did get interviews you mind if you state the following with your interviews so other applicants can get a feel of what programs are looking for:
1) Citizenship/Visa
2) Country of medical school
3) Board scores step 1, 2 and 3
4) University vs community program
5) Number of publications
6) Number of research projects
7) Year completed after internal medicine(Ex chief, geriatrics etc)

This would be extremely helpful to all of us! Thanks!

I will start off with mine
1) Citizenship/Visa-> Canadian on J1 Visa
2) Country of medical school-> Poland
3) Board scores step 1, 2 and 3-> Greater then 230
4) University vs community program-> University program
5) Number of publications-> 6 all GI related(3 first author, 3 third author)
6) Number of research projects-> 3(2 GI related)
7) Year completed after internal medicine(Ex chief, geriatrics etc)-> 0

no invites today for me either. it's crazy, because it seems like all the other subspecialties are getting invites. ID, renal. even cardiology -- my friend just got one today.

Yousefreda- impressive credentials. How many interviews do you have so far. My credentials dont come close to yours!!

Really? I was under the impression my credentials were mediocre and was contemplating taking a year off to do chief residency or geriatrics to strengthen it. So far no interviews lol. No rejections either so thats okay for now :)

Dont be discouraged by me though. I tend to worry, which has its + and negatives.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys must be amazing candidates. I'm mediocre. Have not heard from anywhere yet, and starting to worry...

I'm worrying a lot too, but keep in mind that it's very early in the process. Majority of invites will come out throughout August. If you look at the program websites, most of them are interviewing in September and October.

St Luke's-Roosevelt

hi guys - any other programs that need supplemental applications? i know the following require them: stanford, ucsf, and hopkins. does anyone else know of other ones?

Did anyone get an email from VCU today? Got one stating my application was received (even though I submitted on July 15) and to please be patient until all applications are reviewed before emailing them to request the status of your application. I am not sure if this means they have reviewed my application and haven't decided yet or what. I know one poster here had already received an interview from them so I wasn't sure what to make of this. At least it wasn't a rejection.

Anyone else?

Updating the list. None of these are mine, unfortunately.

Dartmouth: dsprague12
Mayo Clinic (Rochester): IBDoutcomes
St. Luke's- Roosevelt: IMDoc2010, adog
Vermont: dsprague12
VCU: dsprague12
University of Missouri (Columbia): IBDoutcomes
University of Virginia: IMHappy, rudy31
University of Washington: dsprague12

My interviews so far:
- University of Washington (last week)
- UCLA (today)

thanks for updating the list. unfortunately and fortunately, none of those are programs are applied to. so nothing for me yet..

Any IMG got an interview yet? Credentials please.

Got interviews from Yale and MC Rochester so far. Good luck everyone!

Do these invites go out in batches, or is it a one-time deal, meaning if we haven't heard from the above-mentioned programs, we probably will not be getting invites later? Thoughts?

Who knows. It's all speculation. I'd be surprised if programs sent out invites on more than one or two day, just because it seems inefficient. That is just a guess though.

Do these invites go out in batches, or is it a one-time deal, meaning if we haven't heard from the above-mentioned programs, we probably will not be getting invites later? Thoughts?

Just like in residency, it's generally a cyclical thing. Programs will send invites to their Top X candidates, wait for them to reply then invite more people based on the number of interviews they get from the first batch.

Say you're a PD and you have 5 spots to fill. You know that in the past you've needed to interview 10 people for every spot, so you invite 50 folks in the first round. 35 of those say yes so now you need 15 more interviewees so you invite some more. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get your numbers (although there are generally only a couple of rounds.

Who knows. It's all speculation. I'd be surprised if programs sent out invites on more than one or two day, just because it seems inefficient. That is just a guess though.

It takes longer to log into ERAS than it does to send an interview invite so it's not that big of an issue.

Did anyone get an email from VCU today? Got one stating my application was received (even though I submitted on July 15) and to please be patient until all applications are reviewed before emailing them to request the status of your application. I am not sure if this means they have reviewed my application and haven't decided yet or what. I know one poster here had already received an interview from them so I wasn't sure what to make of this. At least it wasn't a rejection.

Anyone else?

Yup, got one of those, dunno what it means??

How important USMLE scores are to get an interview?

How important USMLE scores are to get an interview?

Not sure, some forums have suggested they need to be competitive, beyond that, would think the other stuff (letters, research, chief year etc and not being on a visa) would be more useful.

very impressive profile. I am still in my PGY2 and I am an IMG. May I know where are you doing research.
Thank you.

Anyone get any interview invites today?

I know cardiology invites have been pouring out, although that forum is quiet as a mouse.

It would be nice to hear rejections that people receive also :p

I will start off with mine
1) Citizenship/Visa-> Canadian on J1 Visa
2) Country of medical school-> Poland
3) Board scores step 1, 2 and 3-> Greater then 230
4) University vs community program-> University program
5) Number of publications-> 6 all GI related(3 first author, 3 third author)
6) Number of research projects-> 3(2 GI related)
7) Year completed after internal medicine(Ex chief, geriatrics etc)-> 0

Did you receive any interview yet? I must say your credentials look amazing..

Thanks but no interviews :(. Anyone applying to the Canadian Match also? It starts off later this month?

I agree- no one is mentioning rejections. That would be helpful information

I started to assume that places y'all mentioned that i did not receive an interview means rejection. I think that will make it less depressing later on ...:xf::xf:

Anything new today??? Getting worried now......

Post call and got a sweet email invite from Brown today. St. Luke called last wk. Hang in there folks it's still early. Some programs have yet to even download.

I'm hanging on to hope...of the programs mentioned thus far, only applied to MGH and MC Rochester...wouldn't feel like a complete failure if I didn't get those interviews, haha.

Finally! UCDavis. Pretty psyched!