*~*Official 2013-2014 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So another application cycle has come and gone and a new cycle is quickly approaching. This is the new "Official 2012-2013 PharmCAS Questions Thread", where you can post all questions, suggestions and advices that are related to the PharmCAS application cycle. We have received many outstanding advice and suggestions from previous cycles and we want to carry on that tradition into the upcoming cycle. :) Here are some important things to keep in mind this cycle:

1) Here is a link to the PharmCAS website:
http://www.pharmcas.org/index.htm

2) PharmCAS has its own dynamic FAQs page. Here is a link:
http://www.pharmcas.org/advisors/faqs.htm

3) Once the new cycle is open, you can find a wealth of information regarding admission requirements, eligibility criteria and deadlines for all the schools within the PharmCAS system here:
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolpages.htm

4) If you absolutely need to get in contact with a representative from PharmCAS during the application cycle (be aware that it might be somewhat difficult to do so during peak times in the app cycle), you may do so here:
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/contact.htm

5) Here is a link to the previous PharmCAS discussions thread for the 2011-2012 cycle:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=822915
Feel free to browse through it, since the majority of your questions would more than likely have already been asked and answered.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.:thumbup:

Also, here's a place you can get your specific questions answered by the PharmCAS team themselves: https://www.facebook.com/PharmCAS. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As a second time applicant. I know PharmCas just added in a new entry block titled "special life circumstances" under "Personal Data":confused::confused:

This threw me off guard. I will be opting out of this as even though I did have to overcome some adverse situations, I'm not gonna talk about them because I don't want adcoms to think i am trying to pity myself

Also thanks for the thread OwleGrad:thumbup:

Yes I did notice that section also and was confused because I thought well isn't that supposed to go on the PS or supplemental appl.? Well I guess it wouldn't hurt to write a few bits on it :/

Members don't see this ad :)
oh thanks for the info Owlegrad :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

So another application cycle has come and gone and a new cycle is quickly approaching. This is the new "Official 2012-2013 PharmCAS Questions Thread", where you can post all questions, suggestions and advices that are related to the PharmCAS application cycle. We have received many outstanding advice and suggestions from previous cycles and we want to carry on that tradition into the upcoming cycle. :) Here are some important things to keep in mind this cycle:

1) Here is a link to the PharmCAS website:
http://www.pharmcas.org/index.htm

2) PharmCAS has its own dynamic FAQs page. Here is a link:
http://www.pharmcas.org/advisors/faqs.htm

3) Once the new cycle is open, you can find a wealth of information regarding admission requirements, eligibility criteria and deadlines for all the schools within the PharmCAS system here:
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolpages.htm

4) If you absolutely need to get in contact with a representative from PharmCAS during the application cycle (be aware that it might be somewhat difficult to do so during peak times in the app cycle), you may do so here:
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/contact.htm

5) Here is a link to the previous PharmCAS discussions thread for the 2011-2012 cycle:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=822915
Feel free to browse through it, since the majority of your questions would more than likely have already been asked and answered.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.:thumbup:
Also, here's a place you can get your specific questions answered by the PharmCAS team themselves: https://www.facebook.com/PharmCAS. :D

I liked that so much I put it in. :thumbup:

Just FYI people from PharmCAS come here to answer questions sometimes as well.
that's super cool they do that. I've had my facebook questions answered at like 10 pm on a weekend. They have a great team.

This question maybe silly, but do we have to submit our transcripts from high school?

This question maybe silly, but do we have to submit our transcripts from high school?
No, but if you did AP/IB and those scores are not listed on your college transcript, you may have to send a score report to PharmCAS.

This may be a really dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway, because I've asked several of my friends and gotten mixed opinions.

Do you list honors societies under awards/honors or extracurricular activities?

I know you'd think and HONOR society would go under HONORS, but a society seems much more like an activity than an award. If that makes sense. Or maybe it's technically fine under both. It's just really bugging me!

Thank you!

Two more questions, how can I add more schools after I have e-submitted my application? How can I update my planned coursework because I want to take one more course?

Thank you!

Two more questions, how can I add more schools after I have e-submitted my application? How can I update my planned coursework because I want to take one more course?

academic update window opens up December 15th for you to enter in your new fall grades.

Not sure about schools though

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a really dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway, because I've asked several of my friends and gotten mixed opinions.

Do you list honors societies under awards/honors or extracurricular activities?

I know you'd think and HONOR society would go under HONORS, but a society seems much more like an activity than an award. If that makes sense. Or maybe it's technically fine under both. It's just really bugging me!

I'd like to know this too. I ran into a similar thing with REU and SURP/SURF programs. Are they work experience or something else?

I'm sure that someone has asked this before, but I can't seem to find the post.

Can we add new references after we has e-submitted the application?

Where should I put research programs I have participated in? I got paid so should it be work or extracurricular?

Hi everyone!
I have a couple questions about this year's application, and I would love if anyone would be able to answer them!
Are we supposed to put any job shadowing experiences on our application? Would they go under Extracurricular? I was just wondering since the extracurricular section asks if that activity is related to healthcare, so it seems like it could fit under there.
Also, do we put in our classes that we are expecting to take this spring as "planned/in progress"? I wasn't sure if I add them right now, even though I have not scheduled to take them at school yet, or if I wait to add them during the academic update in the winter when they would be officially in my schedule. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Hey guys I tried doing some research on this on the SDN boards....but my question is on the PharmCAS, if you guys did "Directed Research" for school credit, how did you classify it on the application? Did you put it under "General Biology/etc-depending on what you did research on" and under "lab only?"

Also, for those who have gotten their GPA calculated already, how did PharmCAS incorporate your directed research? Thanks a lot for any help!

Hey guys I tried doing some research on this on the SDN boards....but my question is on the PharmCAS, if you guys did "Directed Research" for school credit, how did you classify it on the application? Did you put it under "General Biology/etc-depending on what you did research on" and under "lab only?"

Also, for those who have gotten their GPA calculated already, how did PharmCAS incorporate your directed research? Thanks a lot for any help!

Perhaps this is a better place for your question.

Does anybody know how to update extracurricular section? I might have a few things to add on that section but I have already submitted my primary application

If you submit your grades and everything, will a school still invite you for an interview or deny admission based on that without the PCAT scores? Or do they wait for all of your information to come thru?

Reason being I am taking the PCAT in September and I'm worried that I wont get a high enough score to compensate for my low GPA

What do you guys think about working in a family business? I was not paid but I was working 25+ hours in college while full time after. Should I list it under work experience even if I wasn't paid? Should I list it at all? Thanks!

What do you guys think about working in a family business? I was not paid but I was working 25+ hours in college while full time after. Should I list it under work experience even if I wasn't paid? Should I list it at all? Thanks!

I would consider that work experience. Even though you weren't paid, it's different from volunteering. To me, you were making money for your family, so technically that's getting paid.

Quick Question - I plan on submitting my pharmcas this week however I am shadowing several pharmacists next month. Should I include these shadowing experiences in my pharmcas even if they haven't occurred yet?

Quick Question - I plan on submitting my pharmcas this week however I am shadowing several pharmacists next month. Should I include these shadowing experiences in my pharmcas even if they haven't occurred yet?

Call your school and ask!

Hi, I have a few questions about PharmCAS that I desperately need answering. I go to UMD, College Park.

1) How do I send my transcripts/test scores to PharmCAS? Do I just request my transcript online and have them mailed to PharmCAS's address?

2) My school doesn't have the +/- system for grades yet. PharmCAS makes you input your grades for each course you have taken exactly as the letter appears on your transcript. So, since I've gotten a few A-'s, they show up as 3.7's in PharmCAS, when they're ACTUALLY 4.0's. Is there anything I can do to change that?

3) You have to enter in every single course you've ever taken at a college into PharmCAS. I took some courses over the summer before I was technically a freshman at college. What do I put as my academic standing for those courses (Freshman, Junior, Senior)?

I will probably have more questions when I think of them. Thanks!

Hi, I have a few questions about PharmCAS that I desperately need answering. I go to UMD, College Park.

1) How do I send my transcripts/test scores to PharmCAS? Do I just request my transcript online and have them mailed to PharmCAS's address?

2) My school doesn't have the +/- system for grades yet. PharmCAS makes you input your grades for each course you have taken exactly as the letter appears on your transcript. So, since I've gotten a few A-'s, they show up as 3.7's in PharmCAS, when they're ACTUALLY 4.0's. Is there anything I can do to change that?

3) You have to enter in every single course you've ever taken at a college into PharmCAS. I took some courses over the summer before I was technically a freshman at college. What do I put as my academic standing for those courses (Freshman, Junior, Senior)?

I will probably have more questions when I think of them. Thanks!
All your answers can be found in the PharmCas manual on their website. Please do some research first before asking questions.

Haven't gotten supplementals back from my schools, but I was hoping to get started on the essay questions if there are any.

Does anyone who applied to UIC, SIUE, or Midwestern-Downer's Grove know what the essay prompts are, if there are any?

Does anybody know how to update extracurricular section? I might have a few things to add on that section but I have already submitted my primary application

You can't update your ECs once you submit, you can talk about your new ECs on your supplemental though if they ask for them. Good luck

As a second time applicant. I know PharmCas just added in a new entry block titled "special life circumstances" under "Personal Data":confused::confused:

This threw me off guard. I will be opting out of this as even though I did have to overcome some adverse situations, I'm not gonna talk about them because I don't want adcoms to think i am trying to pity myself

Also thanks for the thread OwleGrad:thumbup:

How special are your circumstances?

I mentioned (haven't submitted yet) that I am a first generation Cuban-American and the first person in my family to go to college and pursue a professional degree. Do you think that I am playing the pity card?

How special are your circumstances?

I mentioned (haven't submitted yet) that I am a first generation Cuban-American and the first person in my family to go to college and pursue a professional degree. Do you think that I am playing the pity card?

I'm a first generation Asian (not specifying due to confidentiality) to go to college and pursue a pro degree and I left that section blank. Unless you can talk about how it severely had an impact on your ability to succeed, I wouldn't mention it. But it's up to you. good luck

Hello, I am at the background page of the pharmcas application and there is the question "Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. a grade lowering penalty, failing grade, dismissal, disqualification, suspension, probation, etc.) by any faculty member, college or university for academic or professional misconduct or unacceptable academic performance?"

Back in my undergrad, there was a semester in which i was placed on probation due to low grades. Do i need to include this info here , I assume that my transcripts would display this information anyway. Or is this based on something of greater circumstance, such as being caught for cheating etc? Thank you in advance for your help in the matter.

Haven't gotten supplementals back from my schools, but I was hoping to get started on the essay questions if there are any.

Does anyone who applied to UIC, SIUE, or Midwestern-Downer's Grove know what the essay prompts are, if there are any?

I know for UIC they send out their supplemental middle of September cause they are still working on it. i remember one of my friends applying early last year but they did not get it for a while. i know one of the questions is in regards to whether u choose UIC chicago campus or rockford and why u made that decision.

So just a few questions about putting stuff in pharmcas....

1. For the extracurricular section where u put in the amount of hours spent weekly what if it is something that occurs monthly? the pre pharm club at my school is once a month and then i do a soup kitchen that is about every other month....i'm not sure what to put there

2. because of classes and working about 20 hours a week i had a hard time finding some volunteering to do that is on a weekly basis since i started college in 2009. at the beginning of the summer i did start volunteering at a hospital about 6 hours a week and so far will have 53 hrs by the end of the week but when classes start next week i won't be able to volunteer. i do plan on coming back to volunteering during winter break and next summer. so (sorry for the long explanation) on pharmcas should i put an end date to this extracurricular activity. i feel like i should but i guess i would like someone else's opinion. i do work at a pharmacy so i do have the experience no worries there :)

3. for the section on professional liscences and certifications thats where i would put my CPhT and my pharm tech liscence right?? putting both wouldn't be overkill

thanks in advance!!!!

if I apply early September, is it too late? do you guys know what school in Cali and other states that don't have rolling admission? thanks in advance :)

I had a question about AP transfer credit, and I don't understand the instructions given by the pharmcas people.

I took AP tests in hs, but don't remember which ones. All I know is I have some transferred credit listed on my college transcript that only specifies the credit came from Advanced Placement.

Since it's technically on my transcript for college, but I don't need those credits as a pre-req to anything for pharm, do i still need to put it down under coursework?

If I do, can someone tell me what to put under each required field? Thanks in advance!

I had a question about AP transfer credit, and I don't understand the instructions given by the pharmcas people.

I took AP tests in hs, but don't remember which ones. All I know is I have some transferred credit listed on my college transcript that only specifies the credit came from Advanced Placement.

Since it's technically on my transcript for college, but I don't need those credits as a pre-req to anything for pharm, do i still need to put it down under coursework?

If I do, can someone tell me what to put under each required field? Thanks in advance!
Yes you have to report all of it. You listed it with your first semester freshman year spring term and make sure you list it as advanced placement.

Does anyone know where we put conferences that we have attended? Like if we presented a poster or gave a talk at. Extracurricular or work experience?

Hello, I am at the background page of the pharmcas application and there is the question "Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. a grade lowering penalty, failing grade, dismissal, disqualification, suspension, probation, etc.) by any faculty member, college or university for academic or professional misconduct or unacceptable academic performance?"

Back in my undergrad, there was a semester in which i was placed on probation due to low grades. Do i need to include this info here , I assume that my transcripts would display this information anyway. Or is this based on something of greater circumstance, such as being caught for cheating etc? Thank you in advance for your help in the matter.

I believe this is a circumstance that must be reported. In last year's PharmCAS, we got some clarification from the PharmCAS director on specifically why this question is worded this way - I apologize, but my laptop is being fussy with Chrome right now & I'm not finding it. I think they're really trying to aim to cheating, as you mentioned, but they're wording it broadly as a catch-all.

You might want to try asking in the school-specific threads for these schools.

So just a few questions about putting stuff in pharmcas....

1. For the extracurricular section where u put in the amount of hours spent weekly what if it is something that occurs monthly? the pre pharm club at my school is once a month and then i do a soup kitchen that is about every other month....i'm not sure what to put there

When you do participate, how many hours each week, on average? Maybe put an hour a week, if that seems like an honest representation.

2. because of classes and working about 20 hours a week i had a hard time finding some volunteering to do that is on a weekly basis since i started college in 2009. at the beginning of the summer i did start volunteering at a hospital about 6 hours a week and so far will have 53 hrs by the end of the week but when classes start next week i won't be able to volunteer. i do plan on coming back to volunteering during winter break and next summer. so (sorry for the long explanation) on pharmcas should i put an end date to this extracurricular activity. i feel like i should but i guess i would like someone else's opinion. i do work at a pharmacy so i do have the experience no worries there :)

What feels like an honest representation? I would probably list no end date (showing an ongoing commitment), but I might use some of the 150 character description to mention "on academic breaks" or mention the detail in my personal statement.

3. for the section on professional liscences and certifications thats where i would put my CPhT and my pharm tech liscence right?? putting both wouldn't be overkill

thanks in advance!!!!

I believe I put both under licenses & certifications. They are separate credentials, I don't see why you wouldn't.

if I apply early September, is it too late? do you guys know what school in Cali and other states that don't have rolling admission? thanks in advance :)

Nope, that's still early in the cycle even for rolling admissions. Check school websites - or there may be a list on PharmCAS or AACP of the admission deadlines.

Does anyone know where we put conferences that we have attended? Like if we presented a poster or gave a talk at. Extracurricular or work experience?

I really don't think it's appropriate under work experience. Was it associated with a job? I can't remember exactly what it says, but maybe check what it says about publications versus extracurriculars. If in doubt, you might try calling PharmCAS to ask their opinion.

thanks in advance!!!!

I am so confused right now haha?!? your CphTS your pharmacy tech liscence. If you are a certified pharm tech, you have a liscence right!?!?

I am so confused right now haha?!? your CphTS your pharmacy tech liscence. If you are a certified pharm tech, you have a liscence right!?!?

CPhT is granted by passing the PTCE, administered by the PTCB.

Pharmacy technician licensure is granted by your state board of pharmacy. Not all states require pharmacy technicians to be CPhTs, and not all states simply require CPhT to become licensed (many require additional training or hours).

I really don't think it's appropriate under work experience. Was it associated with a job? I can't remember exactly what it says, but maybe check what it says about publications versus extracurriculars. If in doubt, you might try calling PharmCAS to ask their opinion.

It wasn't for a job. I just did it on my own b/c my PI encouraged me to. Most grad students have to practice speaking their technical speeches somewhere and I did it at two conferences which is very typical for academia. Academia also considers this to be a publication b/c data is presented. But I was just wondering if someone had run into this and knew the answer. Thanks for your help though. :)

It wasn't for a job. I just did it on my own b/c my PI encouraged me to. Most grad students have to practice speaking their technical speeches somewhere and I did it at two conferences which is very typical for academia. Academia also considers this to be a publication b/c data is presented. But I was just wondering if someone had run into this and knew the answer. Thanks for your help though. :)

Then I'd certainly go with publication. :thumbup: Y'know, in case you need some more positive verification. ;)

When an application is submitted to a school through pharmcas, how are the courses that have been taken organized for view? Are they are listed out with the semester taken or are they seen in terms of what our schedule was like for that particular semester/quarter (grouped together)?

I have a question about submitting the PharmCAS. Does all the material have to be received by PharmCAS before submitting the application? Also, how long does it take to process paper letter recommendations? Another question, if we submit it to one school whose deadline is early but we want to change it for other schools, can we do that (if there deadline is later?)?

For the coursework, I know it says to enter "the courses in the order in which they appear on your transcript." Though, for my AP credits, I do not have a grade that can be entered as any of the options on PharmCAS! It says "T" as a grade (I don't know what it stands for), and I got credits for each test. What does one do if they took APs? :confused: