*~*Official 2013-2014 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my second time applying. If I want to apply to different schools than the first time, do I have to change my old pharmcas essay? Also, do schools really concentrate on the pharmcas essay or the supplemental?

Members don't see this ad.

I just updated my grades through PharmCAS. Does anyone know how to print out the PDF transcript request form? Where do I go?

Its under the "Colleges Attended" tab...there's a little button for it to the left of the school name.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my second time applying. If I want to apply to different schools than the first time, do I have to change my old pharmcas essay? Also, do schools really concentrate on the pharmcas essay or the supplemental?

Your PharmCAS essay essentially explains why you want to be a pharmacist. You don't necessarily HAVE to change it (regardless of where you apply) unless you have gained new insight about your intended career path, but you may want to reevaluate the essay. Is there something you can add or change to make yourself seem like a more appealing candidate than last time around? Think about how many of these essays they read about why people want to be a pharmacist... most of them are going to say something along the lines of "I just really want to help people". Be creative and think of things they won't read in every essay. You can say you want to help people too, but give specific examples to explain what led you to this desire instead of being vague and idealistic.

As for the essays, schools vary on what they emphasize. However, it's probably a good generalization that any information asked for on the supplemental addresses things you probably didn't talk about in your PharmCAS essay. It's hard to say what is more important since it's all school-specific, but play it safe and write each part as if it is the most important one.

Hi Iam planing to apply to pharmacy schools in June 2013. Can I make an account on Pharmcas now and submit it later next year?

No, this years PharmCAS is only for this year. Youll have to wait until next June to start your PharmCAS.

Hi Iam planing to apply to pharmacy schools in June 2013. Can I make an account on Pharmcas now and submit it later next year?

Pharmcas will close, and you would have to start over again next cycle unless you pay and "esubmit" this cycle to save your coursework and personal information for next cycle. It will not save your LORs and PS.

I recommend that you wait until the application starts next cycle. You can start writing your personal statement on the side.

No, this years PharmCAS is only for this year. Youll have to wait until next June to start your PharmCAS.

Pharmcas will close, and you would have to start over again next cycle unless you pay and "esubmit" this cycle to save your coursework and personal information for next cycle. It will not save your LORs and PS.

I recommend that you wait until the application starts next cycle. You can start writing your personal statement on the side.

thank you guys

Merging this one with the PharmCAS question thread too. :)

If I read correctly in this thread, I can e-submit my application before the letters of recommendation have been submitted?
Also, as long as I e-submit before a school's deadline with all my materials I should be good even though pharmcas may take longer to verify everything?

For the people who have been through the application process before, how long did it take for PharmCAS to verify your academic update grades? It says 4 weeks or more, but I find that hard to believe because all they have to put in are a few grades. Does it really take 4 weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I read correctly in this thread, I can e-submit my application before the letters of recommendation have been submitted?
Also, as long as I e-submit before a school's deadline with all my materials I should be good even though pharmcas may take longer to verify everything?

This may be a school-dependent thing, but everything I've heard supports this. You should only have to submit your application before the deadline and verification can come after. I would try to get the LORs in before the deadline though.

Hello everyone
I sent an email to PharmCAS regarding my question few days ago but still no response so I'm wondering if anyone will know the answer to my question!

I submitted Academic Update with my planned courses for Winter and Spring 2013. I received an email from PharmCAS saying I will need to send an updated transcript in order for them to re-calculate my PharmCAS GPA. But I don't have any new courses for them to re-calculate my GPA because last time I took a class was during Spring 2012. And I'm taking Winter and Spring 2013 courses at a different college so I won't have any transcript for PharmCAS to re-verify at least until after Winter quarter... What do you guys think I should do?
Re-send the same transcript that I sent during summer? Or just wait?

Nevermind! Finally got a reply! :)

Last edited:
My supervisor told me she did not seal the envelope when she sent my letter of reference. However, she told me the actual letter was on school stationary. Should I have her resend the letter of reference? She did not know how to seal it. Also, I do not use my university's lor service.

I am planning on applying with the 2013 application that opens this summer. When can I start having my LORs sent in? I plan on having my o-chem instructor write one and plan on asking at the end of the semester in may. Should I wait until application opens to ask or can I have her write it sooner?

I am planning on applying with the 2013 application that opens this summer. When can I start having my LORs sent in? I plan on having my o-chem instructor write one and plan on asking at the end of the semester in may. Should I wait until application opens to ask or can I have her write it sooner?

you have to wait until the new cycle starts for pharmcas 2013 to send in LORs, but in the meantime, it never hurts to ask early. So yes you can ask now, but make sure to let them know that the letters are not due until the new window opens (~ July 2013)

Just a quick question regarding the academic update; according to what my application directions told me, it seems that I can only e-submit an academic update once. Before going on my application, I planned to update for my fall quarter grades, then update again once winter quarter was completed, but it seems as if I cannot do this.

If this is the case, does this mean that I have to update it with my winter quarter classes with no grades and my planned spring quarter grades? Or do I do the academic update after I receive my spring quarter grades?

Thanks

You would do Academic Update now with your fall quarter grades and planned courses for Winter and Spring quarter. You will be responsible to submit transcript with Spring quarter grades once you are admitted to a pharmacy program.
And if your class schedule changes for Spring quarter later on, you can always email schools to let them know.

Just a quick question regarding the academic update; according to what my application directions told me, it seems that I can only e-submit an academic update once. Before going on my application, I planned to update for my fall quarter grades, then update again once winter quarter was completed, but it seems as if I cannot do this.

If this is the case, does this mean that I have to update it with my winter quarter classes with no grades and my planned spring quarter grades? Or do I do the academic update after I receive my spring quarter grades?

Thanks

You would do Academic Update now with your fall quarter grades and planned courses for Winter and Spring quarter. You will be responsible to submit transcript with Spring quarter grades once you are admitted to a pharmacy program.
And if your class schedule changes for Spring quarter later on, you can always email schools to let them know.

I think you're the same person who answered my previous question in this same exact thread lol. Many thanks!

Quick question about Pharmcas. Im applying the next upcoming cycle(July 2013) and was curious how my summer/fall grades will be updated. I have 12 credits remaining until I complete my undergrad. Im taking one class in the summer because I will be mostly studying for the PCAT which Im taking in July and then finishing up fall with Orgo2 and Physics2. My question is, how will pharmcas update my grades/GPA? Do I have to request a transcript and mail it after every semester I finish? I plan on applying as early as possible since that is what I have heard will give me the best chance to get some interviews.

Thank you!

Quick question about Pharmcas. Im applying the next upcoming cycle(July 2013) and was curious how my summer/fall grades will be updated. I have 12 credits remaining until I complete my undergrad. Im taking one class in the summer because I will be mostly studying for the PCAT which Im taking in July and then finishing up fall with Orgo2 and Physics2. My question is, how will pharmcas update my grades/GPA? Do I have to request a transcript and mail it after every semester I finish? I plan on applying as early as possible since that is what I have heard will give me the best chance to get some interviews.

Thank you!

"Academic update" is a period of time in pharmcas where they reopen up your application and you can go in and update the grades for any new classes you have taken. You will have to mail them your new transcipts though. Call them to confirm Academic update is open from mid december to mid feb.

"Academic update" is a period of time in pharmcas where they reopen up your application and you can go in and update the grades for any new classes you have taken. You will have to mail them your new transcipts though. Call them to confirm Academic update is open from mid december to mid feb.
Ah hah, gotcha! Is is only in mid december when they do this or do they do an "academic update" in the summer as well? I ask cause Im taking one summer class that is a prereq and one of the school Im trying to get into has rolling admission and starts looking at applications around October :/

Ah hah, gotcha! Is is only in mid december when they do this or do they do an "academic update" in the summer as well? I ask cause Im taking one summer class that is a prereq and one of the school Im trying to get into has rolling admission and starts looking at applications around October :/

Youll have to contact the school and directly mail over your summer transcript. They do not have academic update for the summer I believe
https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2010/faq/pcas_acad_update.shtml#one

Whoops-- In an effort to get things "started early", I created an account on PharmCAS a few weeks ago (I am applying for the Fall 2014 class). After further research it is now apparent to me that I should have waited til the new cycle was open sometime in June.

I've only been entering demographic/history type information (haven't requested transcripts or anything). I can't figure a way to delete the account so I'm thinking I'll just let this one fade into nonexistence and create a new one when the next cycle opens in June 2013.

Any tips on this?

Whoops-- In an effort to get things "started early", I created an account on PharmCAS a few weeks ago (I am applying for the Fall 2014 class). After further research it is now apparent to me that I should have waited til the new cycle was open sometime in June.

I've only been entering demographic/history type information (haven't requested transcripts or anything). I can't figure a way to delete the account so I'm thinking I'll just let this one fade into nonexistence and create a new one when the next cycle opens in June 2013.

Any tips on this?

you can fill out all your info expcet transcipts and LORs then just wait for the cycle to close. Once the new cycle starts you can "reactivate" your old app and continue. This reactivation ability is new to pharmcas.

My January pcat scores are available on pcat web.com but it's not showing on my Pharmcas! What should I do! All the schools I am applying to are still looking at my old/worse pcat scores!

Hi guys, I am a new member of this site because I want to go to Pharmacy. I just enter College; I am majoring in chemistry now. I'd like to know what is the next step. Can I go to pharmacy school just after getting my AA or should I have a BA?

I am also wondering how long it takes for scores to post to PharmCAS once Pearson makes them official.

One more question: I did not select PharmCAS as a score recipient, however did select multiple schools that participate in PharmCAS. When calling Pearson, I was told that as long as I selected PharmCAS schools the scores will be posted. Anyone have experience with this and can verify that their scores posted with no problems?

My January pcat scores are available on pcat web.com but it's not showing on my Pharmcas! What should I do! All the schools I am applying to are still looking at my old/worse pcat scores!

Hi guys, I am a new member of this site because I want to go to Pharmacy. I just enter College; I am majoring in chemistry now. I'd like to know what is the next step. Can I go to pharmacy school just after getting my AA or should I have a BA?

Where do you live? I ask because there are some schools that won't even look at your app if you don't have an undergrad.
My state does not require a BA. As long as you complete all your prerequisite, respectable GPA, and good PCAT, you'll have a good chance of being accepted somewhere.

...Your Pcat scores are NEVER suppose to show up on pharmcas. Only the dates taht you took them,.

I live in Miami Florida.

Last edited:
Thank you for letting me know. Do you know which one of those is the best?
When it comes to pharmacy schools, the "best one" all comes down to whatever school will suit your lifestyle the most. You have to think about tuition, relocation, length of the program, etc. All those factors have to be accounted for because they will make a difference in the end.

The #1 school I am aiming to be accepted is UF. Ive visited the Gainsville and Lake Nona campus(great facility), spoken with their advisors, and some pharmacy students. After that, there was not a doubt in my mind that UF is the school I want to study pharmacy at.

When it comes to pharmacy schools, the "best one" all comes down to whatever school will suit your lifestyle the most. You have to think about tuition, relocation, length of the program, etc. All those factors have to be accounted for because they will make a difference in the end.

The #1 school I am aiming to be accepted is UF. Ive visited the Gainsville and Lake Nona campus(great facility), spoken with their advisors, and some pharmacy students. After that, there was not a doubt in my mind that UF is the school I want to study pharmacy at.

Once again, I thank you for informing me. I was considering to apply there anyway. Do you think I have to apply now or when I am almost done with my AA?

Once again, I thank you for informing me. I was considering to apply there anyway. Do you think I have to apply now or when I am almost done with my AA?
Depends, when will you be completing your AA?

In my official transcript from my university (UCLA), there are a couple of classes listed with the class designated as "Class Dropped - Week 7". There is no grade (not a W or any designation). Am I suppose to include this? It just says I dropped the class at a certain week, but it's not officially a W on my transcript. I guess at the time, UCLA didn't give out W's. Am I suppose to include this when entering coursework? If so, what "grade" do I put as there is officially no grade designation whatsoever. Thanks for any assistance with this situation.

In my official transcript from my university (UCLA), there are a couple of classes listed with the class designated as "Class Dropped - Week 7". There is no grade (not a W or any designation). Am I suppose to include this? It just says I dropped the class at a certain week, but it's not officially a W on my transcript. I guess at the time, UCLA didn't give out W's. Am I suppose to include this when entering coursework? If so, what "grade" do I put as there is officially no grade designation whatsoever. Thanks for any assistance with this situation.

To me, "Class Dropped - Week 7" is still same as withdrawal ... It's just that UCLA doesn't specifically use "W" in transcripts. Like you said, your transcript still states that you dropped a class in week 7 so I would indicate that class as withdrawal.

For those that have already been through the process, does pharmcas really take 5 weeks to verify your transcripts and calculate GPA?

For those that have already been through the process, does pharmcas really take 5 weeks to verify your transcripts and calculate GPA?

Yes if you submit like November or later. Before that is shorter

I currently have a pending publication and was wondering if it is possible to add that to PharmCas? I see the publication tabs, but not "expected publication" options.

So I have no idea what to put down as race and ethnicity. this always seems to be the most difficult aspect of these universal forms for us foreign folk. Any advice anyone, I am Iranian. What should I put down for those two fields from anyone else who may have experience. thanks!

I just called an admissions office and asked if you can submit your PharmCAS before they receive PCAT scores and letters of recommendation. He said you can e-submit PharmCAS but they won't begin looking at your application until PharmCAS receives the scores and letters.

Would I be better off submitting now or waiting until all of my references and PCAT score has been received before submitting?

I just called an admissions office and asked if you can submit your PharmCAS before they receive PCAT scores and letters of recommendation. He said you can e-submit PharmCAS but they won't begin looking at your application until PharmCAS receives the scores and letters.

Would I be better off submitting now or waiting until all of my references and PCAT score has been received before submitting?

I submitted mine earlier this weekend and just waiting on the July 2013 PCAT scores to be sent to Pharmcas. You should just submit it now and wait for everything else to come in because a school has already contacted me to complete their supplemental app.

I submitted mine earlier this weekend and just waiting on the July 2013 PCAT scores to be sent to Pharmcas. You should just submit it now and wait for everything else to come in because a school has already contacted me to complete their supplemental app.

Okay thanks for the info. I need to complete my personal statement and then I'll submit it.